daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #41
Nacho

Likes (Received): 54

Looking at feltip's last photo you can see the church at the end .That should be a great stroll down to the square .Unfortunately , people aren't tempted because they know about the carriageway which divides the two areas.
Nacho no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #42
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 712

Not sure where the thread is for the Morrissons (or Sainsburys I can't remember) store on Coventry Road A45, but they are flying through it

Edit: This one http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=coventry+road

ReissOmari está en línea ahora  
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #43
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 232

Not that I know of Bachy.. I walked past the street entrance and the brickwork floor surface, just off the pavement, had loads moss and weeds growing from it.. unused and unloved, probably for a little while longer yet...

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 está en línea ahora  
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #44
nigeman

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachy Soletanche View Post
Went past Moor Street station today, they've still not opened that cafe next to it have they?

I always thought it was a pre -let to weatherspoons during construction, but must have been wrong. Even before HSR2 there seems to be enough footfall here to make any food/ale establishment work...Must have been empty about 5 years now.
nigeman no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #45
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

I always thought it was a pre -let to weatherspoons during construction, but must have been wrong. Even before HSR2 there seems to be enough footfall here to make any food/ale establishment work...Must have been empty about 5 years now.
You would have thought that. London Marylebone has an pub, independent I think, tucked in a corner opposite Burger King and there's usually a few people hanging about.

I'd have thought a train station pub might work here due to the footfall. Best ones I've been to are, yep, Wetherspoons - One at London Baker Street station - called The Metropolitan, after the Metropolitan Railway that runs through there (now called, of course, the Metropolitan Line) - Absolutely HUGE place. And one in London Liverpool Street - simply because of the speed of the service and the fact that there was a lot of outside drinking space and indoor mezzanine seating.

I think it would be quite a busy place.

Old July 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #46
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 364

It was used as a marketing studio for Chiltern Mainline for a while but yes it could easily do well as a pub - maybe a Fuller's one?

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #47
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
It was used as a marketing studio for Chiltern Mainline for a while but yes it could easily do well as a pub - maybe a Fuller's one?
Do either they or Wetherspoons know it exists?

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #48
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 142

From Business Desk

New city square likely to lead to further projects from council and CBD

BIRMINGHAM city centre’s newest public place was launched yesterday evening, the result of a joint initiative between the city council and Colmore Business District (CBD).

Business and city leaders gathered at a launch event to celebrate the completion of Church Street Square and heard that similar initiatives are being planned.

The new space, previously a wide carriageway with more than 20 car parking spaces, has now been transformed into a public square with seating, soft landscaping, trees, enhanced lighting and a piece of public art called ‘Umbra’ by Wolfgang Buttress.

The Church Street Square project is part of Birmingham's Big City Plan Initiatives programme. It emerged from a joint vision to invest in the area, improve pedestrian links with the Jewellery Quarter and create greener spaces for people to enjoy.

It was announced at the launch that there would be future collaborations between Birmingham City Council and the business improvement district, with a particular focus on the square outside Snow Hill Station and the surrounding Colmore Row area.

Referred to as the ‘Snow Hill Gateway’ project,’ the plan is to create a more pedestrian-friendly area.

Another future project referred to at the event was the improvement of Colmore Square, the space between Colmore Row and Steelhouse Lane.

Leader of Birmingham City Council Sir Albert Bore said, “The partnership between Birmingham City Council and Colmore Business District is founded on innovation and enterprise, and a commitment to making Birmingham an inclusive and prosperous city.

“This collaborative approach has been realised in Church Street Square - a high quality public realm that will host events throughout the year, provide meeting opportunities for local people, and strengthen connections to the Jewellery Quarter.

“Church Street Square and future projects within the District will serve to attract entrepreneurs and businesses to the city, accelerating innovation, inward investment and growth for the benefit of all.”
Spread no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #49
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 166

cant find the thread but an extention of time app is going to go to committee next week for beorma

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #50
sefton66

Likes (Received): 583

Thought this was worth posting, some more images on how 5 brindley place will look with the current refurb

http://www.fivebrindleyplace.com/vision/
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #51
nigeman

Likes (Received): 111

Application in the Birmingham post today 2012/04308/PA
"Land off Charlotte Street (adjacent to Newhall Square) Birmingham B3 1RY.
Erection of 195 bed hotel (use class1) with associated car parking and commercial/retail unit...the building is a grade 2 Listed building."

I thought this was the planned serviced apartments development in Newhall Square, but this is "adjacent" and a "Listed Building" anyone any idea who is behind this?
nigeman no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #52
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 36

It's part of the Newhall Square scheme and a change to the original plan. I think the listed building refers to the Whitmore Warehouse, which isn't really included in this application at all...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #53
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 142

is anyone else really dissapointed that a majority of the ground floor is a car park... ie NO active frontage onto the canal and barely any into the new square?!
Old July 14th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #54
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

To me that is just the crooked nose on the witch's face. The building as a whole is a disappointment.

It doesn't really enclose the square because it's been brought up to the warehouse, meaning all the land between it and the warehouse is just backstreet wasted space. It overshadows the warehouse massively, making the warehouse completely irrelevant now. The shape and form of it is uncomplimentary to every building around it. It's pretty much all covered in white or near-white render - cheap, nasty and completely out of place for the location. Windows are horrific.

If this is the sort of stuff that new planning policy in the city centre is going to lead to then I'm finding there's very little to look forward to...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old July 14th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #55
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 41

I Echo both your sentiments.

Can you clue me up on the effects new planning policy could potentially have on city architecture? - If it's not too much effort to answer
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #56
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

I thought I read on the elevation that the finish was natural brick and not render. But I agree about the complete disregard in fitting in with the warehouse.

Old July 15th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #57
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Looks like it's a combi of white render and red brick. The Charlotte Street elevation will be predominantly red brick. I really hope that it isn't a nasty 1980s-style cheap brick, though I don't think I've seen a red brick in recent years that isn't...

Old July 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #58
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

We can only hope that they use the same kind of bricks that many houses are built in now - the reconditioned ones that do look pretty good. And of course the fashion is to recycle nowadays.

Old July 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #59
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

What's the closing date for comments? Someone showed me a render of this and it looks bloody awful...

Old July 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #60
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

White render also doesn't need to be so boring either. Has anyone seen the brilliant mural on the side of the new Snow Hill Hostel? There should always be an option for sprucing up boring sides of buildings.

Closed Thread

Tags
birmingham