SkyscraperCity Forum banner

3rd Street Promenade expanding

6K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  samsonyuen 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I've seen pictures of this plan, i love it, three 21 story condo towers, in Santa Monica?. as far back as 1975, i've thought the santa monica building program sucked, but if this gets approved, with the condo towers as high as the citys current tallest (the old general telephone HQ, 20 storys) this will not only give santa monica skyline status, but also change my mind in which direction the city is going!!!! ( now all they have to do is get rid of all the stupid plantings in the street medians and shoot the person(s) who approved it!!!!!)

#7 ·
I missed this story the first time aroud, more the shame on me as a resident of Santa Monica. This is a very important piece of land and although I am not opposed to deconstructing the Mall, I have a lot of concerns about the proposed project as described in the article. I am not opposed in prinicple to the high rises as long as traffic is handled and spaces are open to the public. That means no private gardens for the condominium owners. We are short enough of parkland as it is. If any open space is creasted, it should be open to the public. Period. Especially in an area so close to the beach.

Secondly I would like to see some trade off for public entertainment and recreatation in the new facility. If tall towers are to be built, incorporate an observation deck for Ocean, city, and Mountain viewing. Include telescopes for close up of boats and migrating whales. Put at least two restaurants in the top floors of the towers with at least one featuring affordable prices.

Consider building a civic concert hall, live theater, and venues for folk, blues, and jazz music. Build a French style outdoor cafe where tourists and locals could linger over coffee and light meals.

Consider a Les Halles type Cover for the Farmer's market and move the market out of the streets so no tragedies due to auto vs. Pedestrian accidents ever happen again.

Bring back the Ice Capades Chalet skating rink that used to be located in downtown S.M. and build a roller skating rink while you are at it.

Undo the barrier effect of the old mall and connect the promenade with the Civic Center, Main Street, the pier, the beach, and the high school.

All buildings should be mixed use with stores and restaurants on the lower levels and housing above, except for the previously mention observation levels. I have no problem with multiple levels of stores but would prefer that these levels be terraced for esthetic effect.

Incorporated performance spaces in the outdoor areas. Street entertainers could be scheduled to perform at given times in these areas. Consider a puppet stage and an area for magic.

Maybe a diagnoal elevator to the foot of the pier.beach for a small fee?

The underground parking sounds good. The original parking at the mall was three free hours, with a set fee ($3.00 I think for unlimited parking after 5). The parking is the city lots seem to constantly inch higher every time I come downtown. No gouging on parking. No giveaways to condo builders without community benefit.

#8 ·
I think Santa Monica is preparing itself early for the eventual connection to the Expo line and someday the Red and maybe even Green.

#16 ·
Ferneynism said:
One more thing, why does the promenade have sidewalks?????
Since it pedestrian only. I've seen people trip on them when they are tipsy or just clumsy. Hopefully they get removed along with the dancing wino.
The old Santa Monica Mall, that no one went to was pedestrian only. The promenade was designed to allow limited traffic as a way of increasing patronage. The promenade was so successful they couldn't allow traffic. Too hazardous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.