daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #21
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 227

New Inn got taken over by the owners of the Victoria (a favourite friday night after work haunt of mine ).

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #22
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 127

According to BP Nuvo is now in administration but will continue to trade until a buyer is found.
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #23
loudrocksurfer

Likes (Received): 19

Two cafes close at Merry Hill shopping centre

Quote:
Two cafes at Merry Hill shopping centre in Dudley have closed.

The Cafe Giardino outlets, which were part of a national chain, shut as a result of the operating company Town Centre Restaurants going into administration.

It is not known how many jobs were lost as a result of the closures.

The owners of the shopping centre, Westfield, declined to comment.
http://www.expressandstar.com/busine...opping-centre/
loudrocksurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #24
mikey23

Likes (Received): 43

Proposed 'music lounge' for one of the viaduct units in Digbeth. I particularly enjoy the Spartan D&A statement

Quote:
CHANGE OF USE TO MUSIC LOUNGE
No design input into the scheme externally at all apart from switching
window on rear to a door - elevations are essentially unchanged.
Some minor alterations internally - see attached drawing.
Interior decor scheme planned to provide club atmosphere with
leather couches etc , sound levels to provide for easy conversation
and interaction.
No dancing.
Immediate neighbours have been consulted - no objections
Carpet warehouse and Taxi firm.
"Air music venue " on other side of lower Trinity Street no objections.
Appropiate for locale , similar venues in neighbourhood.
Digbeth becoming centre for entertainment and the arts of various
disciplines.
2012/04397/PA

2 Lower Trinity Street Digbeth Birmingham B9 4AG

Quote:
Change of use from former printers (Use Class Sui Generis) to bar/music lounge (Use Class A4)
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #25
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 227

*deleted*

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!

Last edited by Typhoon2000; July 25th, 2012 at 03:48 AM. Reason: WRONG THREAD!! D'oh..
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #26
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilbert53 View Post
Not sure who took or posted the picture but I always think it is common decency to block out someones number plate if a picture is going to be posted on the internet.
It's my car so why would I want to hide the number plate? Not that you do in any of your photos anyway so pot/kettle/black or whatever the saying is anyway?
Smileyface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #27
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 7

Carrying a convo over from the Hurst Street thread: which are the best or better Wetherspoons pubs in this fine area we live in. Someone mentioned the Imperial in Walsall but IMO it's been surpassed by the opening of the St Matthews Hall just round the corner which, for those of you who know Walsall, used to be the Old Court House. I presume it's a Lloyds because music is played in there though not loud enough to disrupt a night of good, drunken waffle.
Smileyface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #28
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 801

Aalto restaurant at Hotel La Tour is amazing.

Marco Pierre White at the Cube (Hotel Indigo) is the worst restaurant I have been to in many years. 45+ minutes service, food is terrible and price is simply stupid. Meat was poorly cooked and cut, soggy chips. Been twice and never again (I did say that after the 1st time but 2nd time I wasn't paying. I only offered to pay £5 for 3 course meal as the service was poor).
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #29
loudrocksurfer

Dodford Inn to reopen after £50,000 revamp

Quote:
THE TRADITIONAL English country pub, The Dodford Inn, which closed in May is reopening its doors next Friday (August 3) after a £50,000 revamp.

A relaunch party, featuring live music and a barbecue, will be held from 4pm.

New landlord Sam Davis has lived all his life in Dodford, on Whinfield Road, opposite the venue.

He said: "We are all really excited to be giving the village back its pub."

The work took longer than expected because a new cellar needed to be installed.

The reopening is good news for real ale fans as the new-look pub will have Holden's Golden Glow on permanently and three guest beers.

There will also be a brand new menu boasting a number of dishes, including The Dodford Ploughman's and the 'challenging mixed grill for greedy men'.

The pub's last reopening in 2009 came after a two-year 'Save the Dodford Inn' campaign which saw controversial plans to turn the site into housing thrown out by Bromsgrove District Council's planning department.
http://www.bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/...ing-46247.html

Bromsgrove Caribbean chef to feature on national radio

Quote:
A BROMSGROVE Caribbean chef will feature on a radio documentary at 9pm next Sunday (August 5) on the influence that Jamaica has had on UK culture.

Lorenzo Richards will be on the show that will be broadcast on BBC Radio 1Xtra, which is available on a digital radio and online.

JA in the UK will comprise of segments of Jamaican music, comedy, language, famous personalities and food.

Lorenzo takes the listeners on a culinary journey from the raw ingredients, through the cooking, to the serving of one of his favourite dishes - Jerk Chicken.

The feature was recorded at The Wildmoor Oak, which Lorenzo runs, on July 5 and radio producers Sarah Thompson and Jade Scott got to see the chef's marinated, barbecued chicken cooked and served with summer salad, coleslaw and rice.

After tasting Lorenzo's food, Jade said: "It is absolutely delicious - it’s not too spicy, the flavours are blended perfectly.”

Co-producer Sarah described the cuisine as 'amazing'.
http://www.bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/...dio-46251.html
Old July 27th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #30
sefton66

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Boost for venues after thousands attend CBD Food Festival
by Graeme Brown, Birmingham Post Jul 26 2012

Food and drink venues from Birmingham’s business quarter have reported a timely boost after the CBD Food Festival held in Victoria Square attracted about 15,000 visitors.

The event, which took place on July 13 and 14 to launch the Birmingham Food Fest, saw 24 venues including Saffron, The Old Joint Stock and Hotel du Vin showcase their signature dishes at taster prices.

Elsewhere, The Jekyll & Hyde served up refreshing cocktails and Edmund’s Lounge, Bar & Eatery offered locally-brewed ales from Purity.

Tahreen Kutub, event manager for the CBD Food Festival, said there had been a major rise in the number of attendees at the event, which had a knock-on effect to the local bars and restaurants

She said: : “We held a pilot festival last year for just one day and following feedback decided to extend the event to take place over two days on a Friday and Saturday in 2012.

“The results were incredibly positive, with a fivefold increase in footfall to approximately 15,000 and great response from attendees and participants alike.

“As the event was funded by CBD, a business improvement district, it meant that the venues participating had the costs of infrastructure and equipment covered which minimised the financial impact it has to their businesses.”

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/news/w...#ixzz21lkRHWgm
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #31
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 678

Around The World in 80 Dishes on Broad Street has closed down, and been refurbished into another bar/lounge called The Dining Room, here is the website.

http://www.aroundtheworldin80dishes.net/

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #32
Qoasis777

Likes (Received): 95

not a restaurant as such but the new Polo Chicken takeaway which has opened on (Pinfold Street?) opposite Victoria Sq entrance to new street (red signage) is absolutely superb.

It looks to me like they are taking on Nando's takeaways as they even sell Nandos sauces but rather than paying £10 to wait 25mins for half an overcooked chicken and soggy chips you get a freshly cooked tasty half chicken and chips for £5.99 (and four different flavours rather than just Peri Peri!)

I spoke to the staff and its owned by the people who used to run Polo Cafe Bar the pasta place round the corner (also superb by the way - try the steak panini).

Anyone who eats Nandos (or doesnt) I urge you to try this place out it really is superb!
Qoasis777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #33
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 75

Went to Fumo last night. Quality.

Great food, great service, buzzing atmosphere, not too expensive either. Million times better that MPWs.

The drinks... well they've employed the great team from Island Bar, who know how to make fantastic cocktails.

Highly recommend a visit.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #34
loudrocksurfer

Stourbridge’s new Chicago’s bar nearing completion

Quote:
The manager of Stourbridge’s new Chicago’s bar is predicting a bright future for the venue as renovation work continues ahead of it opening in September.

The inside of the former Que Pasa premises off High Street, near the entrance to the Ryemarket shopping centre, is being refurbished.

Around £500,000 is being invested and a long bar is being installed as well as booths and a dancefloor. Jobs are also being created in the move.
Work began at the end of last month and bar manager James Whittingham said everything was on track.

“We’re hoping to open in the middle of September,” he said. “We’re renovating the whole of the downstairs and the toilets at the moment. Lots of Chicago’s have island bars but this one will have a long bar.

“It’s a new style of Chicago’s and will be different to all of the others,” he added.

There had been a Chicago Rock Cafe in the town centre for six years before it closed when parent company 3DE collapsed into administration in March 2010. The premises later became a JD Wetherspoon bar called the Chequers Inn.

But Atmosphere Bars and Clubs, which purchased some of the Chicago Rock Cafe sites and rebranded them as Chicago’s, set its sights on Stourbridge last year.

Around 30 jobs are being created in the move.

Mr Whittingham added: “There is a real buzz in the town about Chicago’s opening, which is great.

“I am looking forward to us opening. We are in a prime location in the centre of the town. We’re going to be bigger and better than before.”

A launch event is being planned to mark the opening of the bar and more details will be revealed during the summer.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...#ixzz21vnNtUOL
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #35
KHvillan

Likes (Received): 5

Fletchers bar in kings heath is tidy. York road now has three decent venues and a couple of good restaurants.
KHvillan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #36
Nacho

Likes (Received): 54

One pub saved the other to go : http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...name_page.html

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...name_page.html
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM   #37
sefton66

Likes (Received): 555

what a joke

should be the other way around, The Navigation is nothing special the other is far more attractive to keep

The thing with the Navigation that annoys me is that Co op own the shops and land over the road that have been run down and empty for years apart from a seasonal letting to a fireworks shop, why dont they just build their store there instead?
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM   #38
Spread
Brummie & Proud

News from Birminghamplus:

http://www.birminghamplus.com/news/n...nid=1343954782

Glynn to Close the Asquith and re-open as Purnell's Bistro

Michelin-starred chef and Great British Menu mentor Glynn Purnell is to close his second Birmingham restaurant, The Asquith, in September and plans to reopen as Purnell’s Bistro.

In a report in today's Caterer magazine we learn thar Purnell’s Bistro, which opens on Wednesday 5 September, will offer diners honest portions of food, inspired by rustic home-cooking but with an eclectic twist.

“I want the new bistro to encompass much more than just my name. I am an extremely hands on chef and I will continue to support the team at the bistro, whilst cooking my fine-dining menu at Purnell’s Restaurant on a daily basis,” Purnell said.

A new team will be heading up Purnell’s Bistro replacing restaurant manager Julie Tonsgaard and head chef Jason Eaves who both opened the Asquith with Purnell almost two years ago.

“I opened The Asquith to give a younger management team the opportunity to grow the business and make their mark. For a variety of reasons, people chose different paths in life and I wish the original duo only the best in what they do, one heading off to travel the world and the other to start a family,” Purnell adds.

Rebecca Dowling, acting as restaurant manager at The Asquith since June and will step up to the role of restaurant manager at Purnell's Bistro. Dowling trained at Michelin-starred restaurant Box Tree. Meanwhile, Michael Dipple has been appointed as head chef. Orginally from from Birmingham, Dipple currently works as a senior sous chef at a four-star hotel in Wimbledon.

Ginger's Bar will remain at the same venue and will operate alongside the new bistro.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #39
Spread
Brummie & Proud

From Business Desk:

Purnell set to close his latest city restaurant

BIRMINGHAM’S Michelin starred chef Glynn Purnell is to close his latest restaurant in the city and relaunch it as his own branded bistro.

The Asquith, which only opened in Newhall Street last year, will officially close after the last evening service on September 1. The venue will then be refitted ready for the launch of Purnell’s Bistro just five days later.

Mr Purnell said: “I promised myself that I would achieve certain ambitions in my career. Firstly, to gain a Michelin star at Purnell’s, the second to open Ginger’s Bar with The Asquith and the third being to launch Purnell’s Bistro.”

The new bistro is set offer a variety of more simplistic, classic dishes but with an outlandish twist. The chef hopes the new offering will be a welcome addition to the city’s thriving food scene.

“It is well-known that I am driven by my passion to excite people through food, especially the innovative dishes inspired by my childhood. The concept of Purnell’s Bistro will continue to entice people with honest portions of food, inspired by rustic home-cooking but with an eclectic twist,” he said.

“Running a Michelin starred restaurant allows you to be at the forefront the British food, there has been a massive movement in the bistro culture from Paris into London, with the likes of Bruno Loubet and Bistrotheque opening in the capital.

“The fine dining scene in Birmingham has gone from strength to strength and we have some top chefs already in the city, with more wanting a slice of the action. Well known chefs are choosing to open their brand of restaurants in the city centre but I want to go that step further.”

Mr Purnell said he was aware that rumours regarding The Asquith had begun to circulate and he wanted to clarify the situation.

“I know questions will arise from the closure of The Asquith, especially since I relocated from the original address in Edgbaston. The answer is simple, in this life we meet challenges and it is how we face them,” he said.

“I have met this challenge head on and want to aspire to greater things. I want to also stress that Ginger's Bar will remain at the same venue and will operate alongside the new bistro.

“I opened The Asquith to give a younger management team the opportunity to grow the business and make their mark. For a variety of reasons, people chose different paths in life and I wish the original duo only the best in what they do; one heading off to travel the world and the other to start a family.”
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #40
Tony Bear
Up the cut!

Likes (Received): 65

I'll have to update the list of restaurants in Birmingham then. I've not eaten in the Asquith but it looked very nice.
Tony Bear no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public house, public houses, pubs