daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #101
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 223

plus people genuinely haven't got any money to go out now.. The Arcadian area seems to do very well though and it's certainly my preferred haunt over Broad Street

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 4th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #102
NeilHouston

Likes (Received): 10

The Arcadian does do well, a new French restaurant opened there quite recently.

http://letruc.co.uk/
NeilHouston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #103
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcd1976 View Post
It's too big a venue to fill four nights a week. There are a few of these huge venues in Brum that have just died with the change of licencing laws and the lack of 15-24 year olds.

Oceana, Mint/Pagoda Park, Risa (only a third normally opens)...

Didn't know Risa had closed..what about the comedy club inside ?

I wonder who might take over Oceana..any ideas ?...remember that place as Pulse, then something else think it was Zanzibar...huge venue,

Toger Tiger was another one that went but thats now Gatecrasher I think, and trying to remember what happened to God Kitchen, and the old Q-Club...and the old venue for the O2 academy so much changes ive lost track...
PSS1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #104
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 214

Isn't Risa now called Highlight?

Or am I getting confuzzled?
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #105
sequenci

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSS1980 View Post
Didn't know Risa had closed..what about the comedy club inside ?

I wonder who might take over Oceana..any ideas ?...remember that place as Pulse, then something else think it was Zanzibar...huge venue,

Toger Tiger was another one that went but thats now Gatecrasher I think, and trying to remember what happened to God Kitchen, and the old Q-Club...and the old venue for the O2 academy so much changes ive lost track...
The Q-Club closed down (for about the 4th or 5th time!) not long ago, although I think they still have a little place right at the top open - The Rooftop.

Gods Kitchen have recently stopped doing monthly events although their venue, Air, is still open for the odd event.

The Sanctuary/Institute is back open again after a massive investment, it looks great in there.

Oceana was bound to fail as their 'promotions' ideas were all wrong. Also a venue of that size isn't going to work in this day in age - especially not with their outdated music and door policies. And I'm glad to be honest. That area could do with something new, vibrant and fresh. The only place that is trying to evolve and develop with fresh ideas is Digbeth. And more power to it.

Oh, the old O2 Academy has reopened as 'The Ballroom' - unsure as to how it's doing, though.
sequenci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #106
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 115

wow.... hadnt realised risa, oceana had closed..... liked them or loathe them, they were big places which bought a lot of people into the city, obviously not enough though...

that said, i always hated walking home from the gay scene past oceana... the people they attracted were'nt the best :OS
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #107
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
wow.... hadnt realised risa, oceana had closed..... liked them or loathe them, they were big places which bought a lot of people into the city, obviously not enough though...

that said, i always hated walking home from the gay scene past oceana... the people they attracted were'nt the best :OS
Risa is open still!

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #108
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Risa is open still!

Ive just googled Highlight,...and Risa seems to be a 6 room large venue now in the sysle of an airport ??..... interesting !
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #109
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Ive just googled Highlight,...and Risa seems to be a 6 room large venue now in the sysle of an airport ??..... interesting !
Yeah i think one of the nights they hold is called Airport

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #110
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Well all the more need to get this watering hole back on the circuit..
Birmingham Post yesterday also had Licensing applications for:-
Red Secret (unit 1) on Hurst Street, not sure if this is an existing food premises?
also, the Cottage on Gas Street and Big John City on Corporation City?
Along with the two applications down at Orion and Sirius thats six potential new bars/drinking establishments to add to the city centre offering..

Anyone seen anything further on what type of place Red Secret is...can't find anything ?

Not sure what The cottage on gas st, or Big John City is for corportation street either ?

Orion one is for Pure Ales I think ...have no idea about the one for Sirius...

Regarding old venue that was around the world in 80 dishes...think this is now due to be Pan Asian bar and lounge not sure how far this one has progressed...see link....http://www.aroundtheworldin80dishes.net/

I think
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #111
sefton66

Likes (Received): 545

Sirius is for Brew Dog

Orion for Pure Ales
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #112
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 648

Quote:
Anyone seen anything further on what type of place Red Secret is...can't find anything ?

Not sure what The cottage on gas st, or Big John City is for corportation street either ?

Orion one is for Pure Ales I think ...have no idea about the one for Sirius...

Regarding old venue that was around the world in 80 dishes...think this is now due to be Pan Asian bar and lounge not sure how far this one has progressed...see link....http://www.aroundtheworldin80dishes.net/

I think
The bar section is open, not sure about the Dining Room though

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #113
PSS1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
The bar section is open, not sure about the Dining Room though

Cool does it look any good do you know i'l have to take a look..
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #114
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 648

Quote:
Cool does it look any good do you know i'l have to take a look..
Not sure buddy, I've been getting invites to events the past couple of weeks to the bar, its call NINE or something like that

ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #115
sefton66

Queer will be opening on Hurst St end of the month

Quote:
Birmingham Nightingale club owners acquire fifth Southside venue
by Cillian OBrien, Birmingham Post Sep 4 2012

Birmingham business GB Holdings has added another Southside venue to it portfolio with the acquisition of the former Purple Bar & Lounge for an undisclosed sum.

Purple Bar on Hurst Street closed its doors in August and will reopen under the new name of Queer on September 27 following a £150,000 redevelopment.

This is the latest acquisition for Lawrence Barton and his family business GB Holdings, which has a turnover of between £4-£5 million.

The company rescued the Nightingale Club from administration 10 months ago and also runs the Loft Lounge, Penthouse, and Village Inn venues in Southside.

David Nash, group operations director for GB Holdings, said: “Some time ago we identified a gap in the market place for customers within Birmingham’s gay village.

“The acquisition of the site presents us with a unique opportunity to deliver an offer that we believe will enhance and improve the choice currently available within the gay village and Southside.”

Mr Barton, who is also director of Birmingham Pride and sits on the Southside BID board, added: “It is my long-term aspiration to establish Birmingham as one of the UK’s leading destinations for gay customers.

“Each of the venues we run in Southside presents a strong and distinctly different offer for customers regardless of being gay or straight, however our aim with the latest venture is to reclaim the word Queer and open a venue which further enhances the variety of Birmingham’s gay village.”

GB Holdings was founded 17 years ago by Mr Barton’s mother Gill and his co-director brother Darren Barton and employs more than 200 people.

Mr Barton is also a director at work based learning company GB Training (UK), based at Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham.

GB Training (UK) is a main sponsor of Birmingham Pride which annually attracts more than 100,000 visitors to the city each year.

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...#ixzz25X8FjRcG
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #116
sefton66

Also boltz nightclub is being extended to include a first floor

Quote:
Application Details
Application Number 2012/05986/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address 40 Lower Essex Street Birmingham B5 6SN
Proposal Change of use of first floor from storage (Use Class B8) to nightclub ( Use Class Sui Generis) and erection of enclosed escape staircase
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #117
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 122

The Gay Scenes going to go down hill, Lawrence owns everything, its supposed to be a community, one man owning pretty much everything is never a step in the right direction.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #118
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post

I drove past it when there was a full scale street brawl.. Some copper got punched square in the face and some idiot decided to punch some bloke over the bonnet of my Jag.. Whilst I was still moving! - I hated that place... great to begin with - hit with the students. However it very quickly went down hill from there.

To be honest Woody, I think there'll be a lot of longer term success in Broad Street if there were plenty of smaller bars/clubs to replace a couple of the larger bars and clubs (two in the Branningans unit for example). Arcadian does so well because there is much more choice squeezed into one small complex and it's easier to get a better atmosphere when you can fill out a smaller room. In fact, the only bar/club I can think of that has this potential is Revolution and I tend to find the crowd in there a little less 'idiotic' in there. I also like the Slug and Lettuce in Brindley place of a weekend.. 2-4-1 cocktails on Friday nights? Good times...

I've always wanted to see the ex-Crystal Rivers restaurant as a slightly more upmarket nightclub as it's quite suitably hemmed in to shield the noise but spacious enough to get a decent crowd in - AND it has a mezzanine level too.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #119
joshwebb

Likes (Received): 21

Anybody know of us getting a toco bell? And is big johns in town yet?
joshwebb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #120
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 122

Josh you just spelt Taco wrong and I doubt we will get a Taco Bell, none in this country is there, I would hate for another fast food chain to open up throughout this country TBH.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public house, public houses, pubs