daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #341
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4936

Great start to 2014 at BHX

Birmingham Airport has recorded a 10.6 per cent passenger increase in January compared to the same month last year; the first time the airport has experienced double digit growth since December 2005.

In total, 549,489 travellers passed through the airport during the first month of the year, and long-haul traffic saw a major rise of 23.8 per cent compared to January 2013.

Significant growth was also seen on a number of scheduled short-haul services, including Chambery (+233.6%), Fuerteventura (+175.6%), Waterford (+127.9%), Arrecife (+123.2%), Madeira (+113.3%), Stuttgart (+106.9%), and Milan (+73.8).

Charter flights experiencing double digit growth in January were Barbados (+55.1%) and Mexico (+17.9%), as holiday makers escape the wet and windy January weather in search of sun and sea.

This growth comes after the airport handled over nine million passengers in 2013 – breaking the nine million passenger mark for the first time in a calendar year since 2009 - and also breaking two 24 year UK punctuality records for on-time flights in Quarter 3 of last year.

Paul Kehoe, Birmingham Airport’s CEO, said: “These January figures show that more and more people are realising the benefits of using Birmingham as an alternative to other airports to fly for business and leisure.

“This is a great start to 2014 and we look forward to offering even more choice this year as several new routes are launched and extra capacity is made available on key routes.”

The scheduled/charter split in January was 88.6 per cent scheduled and 11.4 per cent charter.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #342
Brum X
Brum X

Full length of BHX runway after extension is near to completion

New extension fully operational by April 2014

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #343
Brum X
Brum X

Thanks to Ray_Finkle from Forums4airports.
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #344
33steve
33steve

Likes (Received): 20

Runway works.

Just before people get too excited the resurfacing work has fallen behind schedule and is likely to go well into April due to the amount of rain we have seen over the last few weeks.
It means night time closures will continue throughout April although these closures should decrease as the month goes on.
A decent spell of drier weather might put everything back on track but this is Engalnd after all,so we will see what happens!!!
33steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #345
ZNaseer

Likes (Received): 351

Hope to see pictures from the final Biman Bangladesh DC-10!

Brum X liked this post
ZNaseer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #346
Brum X
Brum X

Virgin Atlantic A330 Divert from LHR on 12/02/2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7STRNb8AI8
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #347
m.ahmed
mash.fly

Likes (Received): 24

DC 10 Farewell from Epic Air

Grab your DC 10 Farewell Sticker for Free!

The link to the sweepstakes is:
https://apps.agorapulse.com/go/23026/21707

10 winners shall be randomly selected every day and we'll send the stickers by post to all winners, absolutely FREE!

Brum X, patel2897 liked this post
m.ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #348
Brum X
Brum X

Air India

Air India carries 50,000 passengers from Birmingham in first six months

Air India and Birmingham Airport are celebrating after carrying 50,000 passengers on board over 200 Dreamliner flights between Birmingham and India, since launching in August last year.

To celebrate its success in the first six months, leaders of the local Sikh community presented Birmingham Airport with a commemorative plaque to thank the team for launching the flights last year and reconnecting Birmingham with Delhi and Amritsar; an important spiritual centre for the Sikh faith.

Speaking at a ceremony held at Birmingham Airport last week, the Airport’s Aviation Development Director, William Pearson, who received the plaque on behalf of the airport, said:

“The Midlands has the second largest Asian community in the UK, so it’s no surprise that the airline has carried its first 50,000 passengers and experienced over 80% load factors on the route since launching last August.

“The four times a week service to Delhi and Amritsar, using the brand new B787-800 Dreamliner aircraft, with two configurations of business and economy class isn’t just ideal for those visiting friends and relatives, but also offers corporate travellers connections across India, Asia, Europe and North America from Delhi. Air India will soon be part of Star Alliance which gives passengers a choice of world-wide connections.”

Shri 108 Sant Sarwan Dass Charity trustee Nirmal Dass presented the plaque to the Airport. He said:

“This service is incredibly important to the entire Asian community across the region. We’d like to say a big thank you to Air India and Birmingham Airport for providing these direct links to Delhi and Amritsar from our local airport.”

Vishwanath Panyam, Air India station manager at Birmingham Airport, added:

“Reaching this impressive milestone in just six months clearly demonstrates the strong demand that exists for this service. It has proven to be tremendously popular amongst the region’s Asian community, for business and leisure passengers alike.”

The service operates each Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, arriving from Amritsar and Delhi into Birmingham at 1800 hours and departing to Delhi and Amritsar from Birmingham at 2130 hours.

The 256 seat B787-8 series aircraft has a split cabin, consisting of 18 business class and 238 economy seats. Birmingham is only the second UK airport to operate dedicated Boeing 787 scheduled services.

Passengers wanting to fly business or economy class with Air India can do so with very attractive fares from Birmingham. Tickets can be booked at http://www.airindia.com

patel2897 liked this post
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #349
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3596

Go Ahead Air India Keep Growing With New Dreamliner Fleet Yeah !
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw

Zaz965 liked this post
patel2897 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #350
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 447

The last ever DC10 passenger aircraft has flown into BHX. Farewell flights are taking place until Monday when it shuffles off to a quiet airfield to die.

Final DC-10 flight heads for UK http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-26272607
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:50 AM   #351
brobbel99

Likes (Received): 0

Hi there, lets hope the twinning with Chicago brings more dividends than the MAN twinning with Beijing very dissapointed...
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:25 PM   #352
Brum X
Brum X

Final Passenger DC-10 Flight arriving at BHX on 20/02/2014

http://www.airteamimages.com/video_65.html
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM   #353
Brum X
Brum X

Well Done DC-10 you are an amazing aircraft.

Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:57 AM   #354
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
Well Done DC-10 you are an amazing aircraft.

To be replaced by an even more amazing aircraft!!!

Biman Bangladesh S2-AHM (cn 40120/1170) Boeing 777-3E9/ER
Everett - Snohomish County / Paine Field (PAE / KPAE)
USA - Washington, January 30, 2014

[IMG]http://i60.************/15i8c5i.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Biman...2c8a294fe7c81e
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:10 AM   #355
EK413

Thought I'll share these images from the Bangladesh Aviation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA7E7 View Post
As far as Biman is concerned anything is possible bro. There is an interesting blog Published by Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren on the final commercial DC-10 flight, and it claims and I quote.

http://airchive.com/blog/2014/02/20/dc10-birmingham/

The Final Passenger DC-10 Lands in Birmingham

By Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren / Published February 20, 2014 / Photos by author

BIRMINGHAM, UK: The final commercial DC-10 flight has landed on Thursday, ending a forty plus year run of scheduled passenger service around the world.

The journey began at Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjala International Airport some twelve hours earlier. Locals and airport workers turned out in force to bid the last passenger DC-10 adieu, snapping photos with cell-phone cameras as the airplane taxied out for departure. On the runway, the brakes are released and the giant airplane lurches forward, picking up speed as its three engines roar to life. Hurtling down the runway it lifts gracefully into the sunny skies over Dhaka, turning west to chart a course toward Kuwait City, and to retirement.

At the controls of today’s flight is Captain Shoaib Chowdhury. A twenty-two year veteran of Biman Bangladesh, Chowdhury has spent seven years on the big tri-jet, flying it across the world from Hong Kong to New York. Today’s flight will be one of his last.

“I feel very proud; this is a great opportunity to fly the last commercial DC-10 flight,” said Chowdhury, “The DC-10 is a wonderful…robust aircraft. I love to fly the airplane.” His time with the jet dates back to the mid 1990s, nearly ten years after the carrier had already been operating them, as a first officer. He eventually earned the rank of captain, and moved to smaller regional jets before transitioning back to the DC-10 several years later. For Chowdhury, the retirement of the jet represents a closing chapter in his career.. “This is the biggest aircraft I’ve flown in my career…my first wide-body. It gave me confidence as a captain.” he said, “I will miss it.”

Flight engineer Selim Azam agrees. “Certainly I feel bad…especially for me since there is no aircraft [for me to go to]; it will be shocking for me.” The airplane’s retirement presents a curious case for Selim, who will find himself without an airplane to work on in only a few week’s time. His role on the flight deck, once considered essential in the early jet-age, has long been rendered obsolete as airplanes transitioned to two-member cockpit crews. But here at Biman, Selim has found a steady a job in the DC-10 for the past twenty-five years. He noted that he and the company have an agreement on what comes next for him, though he declined to share details. “It has been a fantastic…25 years”, said Salim, adding that moving on is “natural”, with a less than convincing smile.

Chowdhury, however, will transition to the carrier’s new Boeing 777s next month. Consequently, he felt a bit more cavalier about the DC-10s retirement than did Azam. The captain’s story, however, mirrors that of the carrier, which has likewise been moving on from the aged DC-10 and on to the modern 777 for several years.

Thus, for Biman, the retirement is bittersweet. As Chowdhury points out, the airplane was good to the airline during its 26 year service run. “It gave everything to our airline, and our pilots,” he said. And he’s right: the airplane provided reliable high-density international service to some of its most popular destinations for years, holding down the long-haul fort until a suitable replacement could be acquired.

Yet with the type passing 43 years since its first flight in 1971, operating the airplane had become a challenge. Rising fuel costs to feed the airplane’s three aging and comparatively inefficient engines have proved costly. Sourcing spare parts to keep the airplane in top shape has also been tough. Ultimately, both Azam and Chowdhury concede that now “is the right time.”

Meanwhile, only a few feet behind the flight deck, another story was playing out in the passenger cabin. Thirty or so people from around the world sat scattered throughout the otherwise empty jet. Trading everything from memorabilia to memories, these are the truly hard-core aviation geeks. The type who can correctly ID a DC-10-10 from a DC-10-30 at a thousand-yard glance, or who can talk in detail about the history of an airline with more accuracy than most of its employees.

Many traveled thousands of miles to have this last go at the DC-10, some logging their last of hundreds of flights, others only their first. One such traveler is 32-year old Zack Lewis, who made the trip out from Dallas, Texas to catch his first—and last—DC-10 ride. “I’ve known the difference between plane types since before I knew how old I was,” Lewis says as Istanbul, Turkey races by 36,000 feet below us. He traces his passion for aviation back to his father and grandfather, both of whom worked for McDonnell Douglas, though neither on the tri-jet he’s spent the past nine hours aboard.

Though starting as a military fan, Lewis eventually came to appreciate the civil side of aviation. It led him to start seeking out opportunities to fly aboard unusual or rare aircraft several years ago. As for the DC-10, Lewis says he’s glad to be “ticking it off the list,” adding “this is the best so far.” He also admits “there’s good bragging rights that’ll go along with this,” a nod to the often competitive trading of stories that takes place among the tight-knit av-geek community. “I know in twenty years I’ll look back and be so glad I got it.” he says.

Nearby, Guy Van Herbruggen from Belguim is seated in 38J, towards the rear of the airplane. “The DC-10 is one of my favorite three aircraft,” he says. Van Herbruggen would know: He estimates he’s flown well over 100 times in the airplane, due in large part to his work for FedEx. He recounts his first flight on the jet in 1987—he was 24 at the time—on a board a Northwest Orient flight from London Gatwick to Boston. Laughing, he remarks it was a “miserable” experience. He spent the entire flight in the very last row of the airplane, which also happened to be the smoking section.

It was a sentiment that resonated with others. While passengers on some of the early iterations were treated to expansive lounges, many who flew on the jet in later years instead had a more sardine-like experience. Today’s flight leaned more toward sardine than spacious. Biman decked out the airplane in a high-density, 100% economy lay-out. The seats are painfully close together, leaving precious little space for knees, or dinner. Yet all aboard are still happy to be here celebrating the last days of the DC-10.

After today the airplane (registration S2-ACR), the second to last built DC-10, will fly a handful of local scenic flights in the Birmingham area before returning to Dhaka. The airline reports a buyer has been found, and the airplane will wind up parted out and sold for scrap. It is a fate hardly fitting for the twenty-five year old aircraft, but business is business. And for Biman, it’s time to move on

Photos by Jeremy Dwyer-Lindgren

If it were to be scrapped then It's a sad ending for the great airliner!!!
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:12 AM   #356
EK413

Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA7E7 View Post
Biman Bangladesh Airlines operated the last McDonnell Douglas DC10-30 S2-ACR (MSN 48317) passenger flight on February 20th 2014. The final flight flew from Dhaka to Birmingham, via a refueling stop in Kuwait City. Current plans are reportedly to scrap the DC10 for its parts and residual metal value.

Pictures on Flicker.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7363/...e4b7e114_b.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/...3f84a531_b.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5508/...709df522_k.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2880/...6db8b285_h.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3766/...3cfadc40_k.jpg

Arriving at Birmingham International Airport

Parked on stand 86C

I don't know about you guys but i'm going to miss this beautiful aircraft!!!

Brum X liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 04:04 AM   #357
ZNaseer

Likes (Received): 351

Omg. Such beauty the DC-10 is!
ZNaseer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #358
33steve
33steve

The latest visitor to the MON hangar has just landed(17:10).
It is a DHL B767F G-DHLG,that has positioned in from EMA.
It sounds as though it is going straight into the hangar.:cheers

Brum X liked this post
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #359
Brum X
Brum X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33steve View Post
The latest visitor to the MON hangar has just landed(17:10).
It is a DHL B767F G-DHLG,that has positioned in from EMA.
It sounds as though it is going straight into the hangar.:cheers
The Monarch Airlines Hangar at BHX is bringing in some very interesting aircraft into the airport which is making the airport more vibrant. Good to see, nothing against airlines like Flybe, Ryanair and Monarch themselves, but it does get a bit boring when its the same aircraft all the time.
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #360
33steve
33steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
The Monarch Airlines Hangar at BHX is bringing in some very interesting aircraft into the airport which is making the airport more vibrant. Good to see, nothing against airlines like Flybe, Ryanair and Monarch themselves, but it does get a bit boring when its the same aircraft all the time.
I agree that the new hangar is bringing in more unusual visitors and long may it continue.
I also agree that the same old,same old scenario does get very boring but you also have to remember that FlyBe,MON et al provide the bread and butter to BHX,without them the airport would be a lot worse off.
However I am still hoping for a major new service or even upgrade to a current one to be announced before we get into the main summer season.

Tags
birmingham, european hub airport, uk airports