daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM   #141
33steve
33steve

Likes (Received): 20

I see RYR are to drop BHX-BUD.
Despite doing RYR a favour by allowing them all that parking space,again they do the dirty
On BHX.The sooner we get shot of RYR the better!!
33steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:26 PM   #142
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4936

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33steve View Post
I see RYR are to drop BHX-BUD.
Despite doing RYR a favour by allowing them all that parking space,again they do the dirty
On BHX.The sooner we get shot of RYR the better!!
Typical Ryanair, however its not BHX they are unhappy with but the owners of Budapest Airport as they are dropping services to other european airports too, not just BHX
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #143
Brum X
Brum X

On a positive note though and for the future.

Thomson
Winter 2013/4 long-haul released and it is showing an increase.

Montego Bay returns for the whole winter - flying day Wednesday

Cancun - Thursday

Sunday - Sanford extends to 24/11 and switches to Bridgetown from 15/12

Montego Bay in April 2014 is twice weekly!!

Can anyone confirm if the flights will be on the 787.

Also could there be more to come with a new flight? I suspect a cruise flight will operate on the Friday or Saturday
Old November 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #144
33steve
33steve

So BA & VS think that BHX will never be an international hub.A fairly blinkered and illogical point of view if you look at the facts.
Travellers use LHR & LGW and to a lesser extent MAN because they are there offering the services they want to use.
I work @BHX and see the final destinations of a lot of the travellers.Many fly to FRA,CDG,AMS,MUC,DXB and more recently IST for onward connections to the far east and
Australia.This would suggest that there is demand for at least a minimum frequency to such places as Beijing,BOM,DEL,etc.I would agree that daily flights at this stage are not required but who is to say that they won't be used if they are offered.These are the PAX that travel from BHX.This does not include PAX that travel to LON or MAN by
Car,coach or train.BHX has a very big catchment area including pretty much the entire M5 corridor.So to say that BHX will never be an international hub is in my opinion
A bit mischievous on the part of 2 airlines who might actually be concerned that BHX could take PAX off them if routes were offered from BHX or any UK regional that is allowed to expand.
Anybody out there got any thoughts or comments?

33steve
Old November 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #145
Brum X
Brum X

Quote:
So BA & VS think that BHX will never be an international hub.A fairly blinkered and illogical point of view if you look at the facts.
Travellers use LHR & LGW and to a lesser extent MAN because they are there offering the services they want to use.
I work @BHX and see the final destinations of a lot of the travellers.Many fly to FRA,CDG,AMS,MUC,DXB and more recently IST for onward connections to the far east and
Australia.This would suggest that there is demand for at least a minimum frequency to such places as Beijing,BOM,DEL,etc.I would agree that daily flights at this stage are not required but who is to say that they won't be used if they are offered.These are the PAX that travel from BHX.This does not include PAX that travel to LON or MAN by
Car,coach or train.BHX has a very big catchment area including pretty much the entire M5 corridor.So to say that BHX will never be an international hub is in my opinion
A bit mischievous on the part of 2 airlines who might actually be concerned that BHX could take PAX off them if routes were offered from BHX or any UK regional that is allowed to expand.
Anybody out there got any thoughts or comments?

33steve

Just very typical of the British centralism where everything is within the M25 Motorway (London) and the rest of the United Kingdom can struggle on. The sooner Great Britain becomes a Federal state the better as far as i am concerned. I like the German approach on this where all parts of that country are equal and not everything is centred around Berlin or Frankfurt.
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #146
world_rep
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
BHX has a very big catchment area including pretty much the entire M5 corridor.So to say that BHX will never be an international hub is in my opinion
A bit mischievous
BHX will never be an international hub. An international hub requires a based airline, that offers international connections via BHX from one flight to another. Currently, no-one at BHX offers this service, and is very unlikely to. So, in that sense, BA/Virgin are correct.

What BHX will excel in however, is being an international spoke for a hub airline. This means BHX is at the far end of a hub, where passengers connect via that hub onto another destination. This is what Lufthansa, Swiss, SAS, Emirates and the likes offer.

The thing is, I do agree with BA/Virgin in some sense, that Government should keep out of policies in aviation and let the passengers decide where they want to fly from, and not force it upon them. BHX doesn't need to be an overspill airport, it can happily survive in its own merit.
world_rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #147
33steve
33steve

Worldrep,the hub or spoke issue was not really the point I was making,more that there is demand for flights from BHX to cities in the sub-continent,far east and Austarlia.
Demand that may only require a minimum frequency to start off with but until they are offered you cannot say what will or won't work.AI flew DEL-ATQ-BHX-YYZ-BHX-ATQ-DEL relatively successfully for 3 years before it transferred them to LHR to protect slots.Can anyone tell me if this service still exists??
My main worry is that fares are a big issue.For some reason it has always been more
Expensive to fly from a regional airport.This is where Paul Kehoes argument comes in with taxing PAX flying from congested airports.I am sure if flights are offered at a half decent
Price a fair aviation policy could benefit many people.
LHR & LGW etc serving the south and east.BHX,MAN,NCL etc serving the rest of England.
GLA and EDI serving Scotland.I know this sounds idealistic but until you try it who knows
What will happen!!!
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #148
33steve
33steve

Sorry to keep going on about my pro BHX bias but has anyone else noticed that we have missed out on another fantastic marketing opportunity!
I refer to New Zealand's stealing of the Lord of the Rings & Hobbitt franchises.They have
Gollums hanging from terminal buildings and ANZ logo jets.Ok the films are made in NZ but
the author,JRR Tolkien was a Brummie and Middle earth was based on an area around Sarehole Mill and the romantically named Moseley bog.The 2 towers were if I remember right are or we're on a reservoir,(Edgbaston I think).All very much Birmingham landmarks.
Perhaps BHX should be renamed Tolkien,Middle Earth Airport or something similar.After all
a worldwide success story that actually was made in Birmingham UK.
just a thought!!

33steve.
Old November 26th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #149
world_rep
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Perhaps BHX should be renamed Tolkien,Middle Earth Airport or something similar.After all
a worldwide success story that actually was made in Birmingham UK
You mean you expect something in the UK to take pride in a worldwide known name, and have the forward thinking to promote it? Now we really are in dreamland! (sorry couldn't resist!)
world_rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #150
Brum X
Brum X

And we are off ;-)

Birmingham Airport officially marked the start of its runway extension development today (Wednesday 28 November), which will see the existing runway length increase to 3,003 metres and give aircraft unlimited range from the Midlands.

By extending the existing runway by 405 metres, aircraft will be able to take off from Birmingham with more fuel and fly direct to destinations currently out of reach, such as China, South America, South Africa and the West Coast of the USA.

The development, opening in early 2014, will generate spare long haul capacity in the region and help to take cars off the road, saving thousands of unnecessary surface journeys each year.

Paul Kehoe, Birmingham Airport’s CEO, explained, “The strong economic profile of the Midlands means that businesses are crying out for direct connectivity from their local airport so it makes no sense that 3.3 million passengers from the West Midlands last year flew from airports in the South East, adding congestion on the roads and at Heathrow, which is already 99.2% full.

“Redirecting this traffic back to the Midlands would release high value, long-haul capacity at London airports and boost the UK’s trading potential.

“We have plenty of spare capacity at Birmingham now. Our passenger numbers could double from the current nine million a year to eighteen million today, and the runway extension will allow us to increase beyond thirty six million in future years.

“Our passenger growth could create in excess of 243,000 jobs in the region according to a new report by the West Midlands Economic Forum. Making greater use of the spare capacity at airports across the country will help generate sustainable long-term economic growth and help to rebalance the UK economy.”

With the runway extension opening up so many new long-haul route opportunities from Birmingham, the Airport is actively talking to existing and new airlines to explore new markets and routes from the Midlands. A new team of route development experts and a trade sales team have been employed by the company to ensure that the Airport is represented globally at key trade events and meetings, and it is working with local brands such as MG Motors and JLR to help develop relationships with key overseas markets.

The Company has also been lobbying the UK government to assign ‘National Airport’ status to key gateways to UK markets. For instance, Birmingham, as a National Airport, would be recognised as the gateway at the heart of UK manufacturing.

Such an endorsement would help the Airport to encourage new routes, by demonstrating Government’s commitment to the whole of the UK’s long-term aviation strategy.

On behalf of government, an independent commission has been tasked with reviewing all options for future UK airport capacity. The utilisation of spare capacity which is available immediately at regional airports such as Birmingham, is regarded by many not only as a pragmatic solution, but as a way of encouraging greater growth and resilience in the UK economy.

The runway extension will be wholly funded by the Airport Company at a cost of £33 million. In addition, the Airport is making a further investment of £13 million for the construction of a new air traffic control tower and radar system, which will be operational in early 2013, plus £9m on resurfacing the entire runway.

A dedicated website about the runway extension scheme is available at www.hellomoreworld.co.uk
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #151
Brum X
Brum X

BHX with its new Double airbridge facility

Old November 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #152
33steve
33steve

Re runway extension work.
Just seen Midlands Today interview with Paul Kehoe at the runway extension site.Unfortunately he had nothing new to say.
What is interesting news today is QTRs new route from ATH to JFK.A brave move
don't you think bearing in mind the turmoil in that country!
Is BHX really that far down the list of new routes to try!
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #153
neon18

Likes (Received): 1134

neon18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #154
33steve
33steve

Anybody know why a Transaero 743 has just landed @BHX? It landed @ 1435 local time.
Brum X did u get a photo?
Old November 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #155
Brum X
Brum X

Quote:
Anybody know why a Transaero 743 has just landed @BHX? It landed @ 1435 local time.
Brum X did u get a photo?

Old November 30th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #156
Brum X
Brum X

Old November 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #157
Brum X
Brum X

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #158
Brum X
Brum X

Air Blue A340 Divert from Manchester

And also 2 Emirates 777s at the same time at BHX.

Old November 30th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #159
33steve
33steve

Thanx for the pics Brum X.
As well as the RAF C17 & L1011,a lot of heavy metal @ BHX today!!
Let's hope for more during the rest of the winter.(although it would be better if the RAF flights were in for a different reason)!!!
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:05 AM   #160
justplanecrazy84

Likes (Received): 7

Hopefully they will be with their A330's when the hangar is built
justplanecrazy84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
birmingham, european hub airport, uk airports