daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #1
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

MISC | Television on transport

Mobile Televisions

Other than Hong Kong, Taipei & Singapore, are there any other cities in the world which has mobile television sets on its trains, buses or taxis broadcasting either LIVE or recorded entertainment content?

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 4th, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #2
Elmo

Likes (Received): 11

Amsterdam on his trams.
Elmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #3
ignoramus

Any more info? Type of programming, LIVE or recorded, etc. thanks.
Old November 20th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #4
ignoramus

Singapore's ''TVMobile''
- A new subsidiary company of MediaCorp TV, TVMobile is the first in the world to use Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) technology to deliver high quality mobile TV programmes to public commuters. With broadcasts of real time financial data, news updates, weather reports, entertainment and critical information, TVMobile keeps commuters up-to-date even while they're on the go.
- With the aim to become a leading regional outdoor advertising media and data broadcast provider, TVMobile offers advertisers and agencies an alternative platform to showcase new products and services. Its extensive audience reach makes it an effective media in communicating new national policies and promoting campaigns and events.
- Broadcasting hours for TVMobile channel are daily (Monday to Sunday) from 6:00 a.m to 12:00 midnight.

Where
- Most Buses Operated By SBS Transit
- All Taxis Operated By SMART Cab
- Suntec City Mall's Fountain Food Terrace Food Court
- Private Cars

Last edited by ignoramus; November 20th, 2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old November 20th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #5
Kit
arkitect

Likes (Received): 0

T.V. Mobile can also be had by individuals in their private cars. For a fee of course.
Kit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #6
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Seoul and Madrid.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:11 PM   #7
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Althought LA doesnt have public mobile TV's many private car owners have their vehicles installed with a LCD screen like on the back of the headrest so back passengers can see or on the visor. Mostly SUV's, bmw, and Mercedes have these.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #8
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

Tokyo
Old November 21st, 2004, 01:20 AM   #9
Johan
Lurker

Likes (Received): 17

Guangzhou has in most of the new buses...
Johan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 02:35 AM   #10
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 9

Yellow Cabs in Brisbane have iTV advertising, news etc. LCD screens in the back of some cabs.

More info about iTV is at their site: http://www.itvme.com
nikko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #11
MSPtoMKE
Glory to the Hypnotoad

Likes (Received): 0

Milwaukee's buses and a few other cities have Transit Television Network. They mostly show ads, some news, trivia, etc. They also call out the main stops (major intersections and Transfers). However, last night, they were showing an episode of the Beverly Hilbilies, which was odd.
MSPtoMKE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:05 AM   #12
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Singapore's ''TVMobile''
- A new subsidiary company of MediaCorp TV, TVMobile is the first in the world to use Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) technology to deliver high quality mobile TV programmes to public commuters. With broadcasts of real time financial data, news updates, weather reports, entertainment and critical information, TVMobile keeps commuters up-to-date even while they're on the go.
- With the aim to become a leading regional outdoor advertising media and data broadcast provider, TVMobile offers advertisers and agencies an alternative platform to showcase new products and services. Its extensive audience reach makes it an effective media in communicating new national policies and promoting campaigns and events.
- Broadcasting hours for TVMobile channel are daily (Monday to Sunday) from 6:00 a.m to 12:00 midnight.

Where
- Most Buses Operated By SBS Transit
- All Taxis Operated By SMART Cab
- Suntec City Mall's Fountain Food Terrace Food Court
- Private Cars
Are they still the first and only to have LIVE video broadcasting instead of repeats of adverts thou?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #13
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Are they still the first and only to have LIVE video broadcasting instead of repeats of adverts thou?
1. They must have been the first to have LIVE digital video broadcasting, as stated in the article. If we are talking about LIVE video broadcacting, not digital, perhaps not. Who knows.

2. Don't know if they are the only one to have LIVE digital video broadcasting though. Who knows.

Which brings up an important issue, please be more detailed in your replies. State more information in your replies other than just providing the cities. Thanks.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #14
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Haha...I used to seriously hate tvmobile when they first introduced them. I was like thinking...there goes my beauty sleep on long bus rides, and having to face another avenue of adverts after adverts!

But I have to thank it for sometimes really coming into great use. Caught the news on several occasions (once it was about the collapse at Biopolis, and I sent an SMS to stan immediately. Efficient, eh? ), as well as being able to watch programs which I would have missed since I wont be able to get home on time.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:26 AM   #15
ignoramus

SEE! Told you it was good! But no, everyone wants to sleep. I can't sleep on buses anyways.

I only catch the news broadcasts and movie & gaming reviews. Sports and mini drama productions no thanks!
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #16
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Well, its good, but not ALWAYS good! I wished they could screen MTVs like they used to last time.

Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM   #17
spacepostman
Fairy Godmother

Likes (Received): 20

The Heathrow Express in London shows BBC News 24 in all carriages
Old December 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM   #18
MCarr
Future after Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Althought LA doesnt have public mobile TV's many private car owners have their vehicles installed with a LCD screen like on the back of the headrest so back passengers can see or on the visor. Mostly SUV's, bmw, and Mercedes have these.
The mercedes benz class S has a LCD screen on the control panel that broadcasts TV stations, the issue is that it shuts downs the screen (audio on only) when the car is moving, so the driver can only watch TV when stopped, on a red light and so.

The challenge is to find the right mix of reliability and flexibility and the right mix of tried-and-true techniques with novel but promising ideas.
MCarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:19 AM   #19
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Adelaide has a couple of test buses with television being trialed atm:

AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:53 AM   #20
odegaard

Likes (Received): 1

They don't have that in Seattle....which is a good thing b/c that can get annoying. I would assume the reason for having such TV's is not for the passengers' benefits but instead used as a means of advertising.
odegaard no está en línea   Reply With Quote