daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #281
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 4946

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityHub View Post
Birmingham Airport is more popular than Manchester Airport

TROLL ALERT.

DONT FEED IT

And please dont spoil our forums.

This is no place for city versus city debate.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #282
Brum X
Brum X

CityHub has appeared on the Birmingham forum today spouting lots of Birmingham versus Manchester to which nobody has replied to his silly comments, some even suggesting he is from Manchester trying to stir up trouble.

Some people have nothing better to do.

Anyway BACK TO MANCHESTER AIRPORT NEWS
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #283
WingTips

Likes (Received): 1237

More photos of this momentous occasion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
From the Poynton end of the Woodford Runway

WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #284
CityHub

Likes (Received): 20

[QUOTE=Brum X;125127338]CityHub has appeared on the Birmingham forum today spouting lots of Birmingham versus Manchester to which nobody has replied to his silly comments, some even suggesting he is from Manchester trying to stir up trouble.

Some people have nothing better to do.

Anyway BACK TO MANCHESTER AIRPORT NEWS[/QUOTE

I don't live in Manchester, so at least my comments are decent, I got many people who replied to my comment
CityHub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:15 PM   #285
WingTips

Easyjet adds more seats MAN-AMS...

Easyjet will add an extra flight on the above route on Mondays making a total of three, this is in addition to the extra 3rd flight recently added on Fri and Sun.
Old July 5th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #286
WingTips

A trip down memory lane with marni1971...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marni1971 View Post
Getting a bit nostalgic with all the future development plans, I dug out my old home video footage and uploaded to YouTube:

Look around the level five drop off, check in and concourse and see the model of future development including terminal A. Then up to the car park roof for a look at the airport and aircraft operating, and a pan across the fields that became terminal 2.
http://youtu.be/usglgd1r8_E

Take a look around from the car park roof, then spend some time at the end of 24 at the Shadowmoss junction enjoying what was a fantastic viewing area. Then take a drive up Rimgway Rd before it was all car parking, around the new Terminal A, Olympic House being finished, Terminal B arrivals, and finish with a drive around the under construction terminal 2 perimeter.
http://youtu.be/kYIbnx8ymyo

Brum X liked this post
Old July 5th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #287
Brum X
Brum X

Awesome footage of MAN in 1998

Ooooooooooh those old 747s and DC-10s.

WingTips liked this post
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #288
WingTips

"Jet2.com launches new ski route from Manchester Airport to Lyon"...

Quote:
Jet2.com is expanding its 2015/16 ski programme at Manchester Airport with the launch today of brand new destination, Lyon.

Weekly Saturday flights to this popular ski gateway will operate from 19th December 2015 until 09th April 2016, meaning eager skiers can jetaway to the slopes during peak holiday times including Christmas, February half term and Easter!

The addition of Lyon from Manchester Airport brings Jet2.com’s ski programme from the North West to seven snowy destinations in total, adding to the already popular routes of Andorra (Barcelona), Chambery, Geneva, Grenoble, Salzburg and Turin.

Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com said: “We’re thrilled to be launching Lyon from Manchester Airport. It’s a brand new ski destination for us and is a great addition to our already successful winter programme, giving local customers even more choice.

“Lyon is the gateway to over 170 picturesque ski resorts across France, Switzerland and northern Italy, offering some of Europe’s best snow-capped mountains and lively après ski. Combined with our friendly flight times, meaning skiers can really maximise their time on the slopes, we’re confident it will prove really popular.”

Flights to Lyon start from £43 one way, including taxes. Visit jet2.com/ski for more information
http://www.easier.com/130676-jet2-co...t-to-lyon.html
Old July 8th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #289
WingTips

Analysis of direct European flights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianlstar View Post
Hi,

I have been doing a bit of work around European connectivity to the region through Manchester Airport. I posted a list of identified cities previously which was the basis of the research. A short 22 second animation of the analysis is on Youtube https://youtu.be/8l2frXZVk5g

There are a few anomalies that we have identified and these we assume are from some airlines not declaring their schedules until later

Also due to the way that Google QPX API works it tends to give outward and return flights with the same airline whereas with lo-cos it sometimes makes sense to use different airlines for each leg.

If you spot anything wrong please let me know. I am hoping to release a more dynamic and hopefully interactive visualisation over the coming weeks.

Many thanks

Julian
Old July 19th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #290
WingTips

"Manchester Airport have announced an increased growth in passenger traffic for the 15th consecutive month in a row."

Quote:
Manchester Airport have announced an increased growth in passenger traffic for the 15th consecutive month in a row. They have achieved a 3.05 per cent monthly increase in passengers from 2,247,885 in June 2014 to 2,316,492 in the same month of this year.

The annual totals have increased by 5.92 per cent to 22,475,753 passengers. Manchester Airport have noticed that the long-haul services to North America such as New York, Atlanta, Washington, Philadelphia and much more have performed very strongly.

The Manchester Airport Managing Director Ken O’Toole quoted: "June has set the foundations for a strong summer ahead, boosted by increased capacity on existing services, plus new destinations coming online.” “We’re ready for an even more busier July and August”

http://aviationenthusiasts.weebly.co...onths-in-a-row
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:21 AM   #291
WingTips

And gently does it...

On finals into MAN

firoz bharmal, klm.b777, patel2897 liked this post
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:36 AM   #292
WingTips

United Airlines celebrates 20 years of New York route...

After flying direct from Manchester to the Big Apple for two decades, the carrier launched its seasonal route to Washington DC three years ago

American carrier United Airlines is celebrating 20 years flying passengers from Manchester to New York -
Quote:
and it could one day launch routes to Chicago, Denver and San Francisco too.
The majority of its aircraft are now equipped with free wifi and today passengers were serenaded as they drank Champagne ahead of their milestone flight to Newark Liberty International Airport.

United Airlines has strong established US mainland hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, LA, and San Francisco.
Quote:
Bob Schumacher, managing director of sales, told the M.E.N: "The dream would be to connect all our US hubs to Manchester.
"There’s no other market outside London where we have been this long, and I’m sure we will continue to grow as we see the growing strength of the north west economy and the US economy too.

"We are that conduit that links the success of both. I think it’s a great time for aviation and after 20 years in Manchester we are here to stay.”

The airline, which operates 700 aircraft worldwide with nearly 5,000 services a day to 373 destinations, flies direct from Terminal Two to Newark Liberty International Airport on a Boeing 757-200 with 169 seats.

Passengers – a combination of business and leisure travellers - can connect on to up to 300 destinations in Canada and North America, the central Caribbean and Latin America.

He added: “We always have our eye on new routes. We are an opportunity business but we are not flighty, we do our research and make sure it’s robust. As the market grows we have a diverse reach of over 700 aeroplanes and we are committed to this market and many others.

Quote:
“We have no immediate plans today but we have other hubs in the US that are unconnected to Manchester so when the time comes we will expand.”
He admits the airline has to be cautious with its business decisions – with factors like ever-shifting local economies, the price of oil and rates of exchange playing key parts.

Quote:
United Airlines is one of a number of American airlines currently booming at Manchester Airport.
Stephen Turner, commercial director for Manchester Airport, said: “We would like to congratulate United Airlines on reaching this fantastic milestone of 20 years service to New York. Through their daily New York and Washington DC services, United provide our passengers with the opportunity to fly direct to these two hugely popular destinations as well as the ability to connect on to their extensive route network.”

United employs 84,000 staff worldwide

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....-years-9695572
Old July 22nd, 2015, 08:10 PM   #293
WingTips

Manchester Airports Group (M.A.G) delivers another strong year of growth, investment and development...

M.A.G, owner and operator of Manchester, London Stansted, East Midlands and Bournemouth airports, today reports its audited results for the 12 months ended 31 March 2015.
Highlights

Strong financial performance (EBITDA +17.2% to £283.6m) that has exceeded expectations and been driven by industry-leading increases in both passenger numbers and commercial revenues.

Long-term commercial agreements with airlines have generated a significant increase in passengers (+10.7% to 48.5m),
Quote:
driven by record numbers at Manchester Airport (+7.2% to 22.3m) and unrivalled growth at London Stansted Airport (+16.1% to 20.9m). Together, Stansted and Manchester's growth exceeded that of Heathrow and Gatwick airports combined.
Quote:
Continued expansion of the route network with important extensions to short-haul and long-haul connectivity including the arrival of new flights to Hong Kong, Orlando, Cancun, Las Vegas, Miami and Iraq.
Unveiling of the ‘Manchester Airport Transformation Programme’ – a £1bn, 10-year plan that will deliver a significant upgrade of the facilities at the airport, ensuring that it
Quote:
continues to thrive as a national asset and play an even greater role as the ‘UK Global Gateway from the North’.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/newrep...eply&t=1528390
Old July 23rd, 2015, 06:20 PM   #294
WingTips

Chief Exec Of Manchester Airports Group: More Than South-East At Stake...

http://news.sky.com/video/1523474/ai...ants-uk-vision
Old July 23rd, 2015, 09:17 PM   #295
Nebulous

Likes (Received): 0

@wingtips

Is there a link to that whole interview at all?
Nebulous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #296
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
@wingtips

Is there a link to that whole interview at all?
Hi Nebulous that`s all I have I am afraid, but try searching on the Sky website, perhaps you`ll find it there.

WT.
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #297
WingTips

Don’t forget us in runways debate, says Manchester and Stansted owner...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/busine...cle4505596.ece
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #298
WingTips

"Flight Test: Cathay has Auckland and Manchester united"...

"Looking to take a flight? See how your airline stacks up with our reviews"

Quote:
I judge all my long-haul flights on how fast they seem to have passed - these went by in the blink of an eye.

THE AIRLINE Cathay Pacific

THE ROUTE Auckland to Manchester via Hong Kong

THE PLANES Airbus A340-300 and Boeing 777-300ER

UP THE BACK OR AT THE POINTY END? Premium Economy seats 30C and 31C

TIME IN THE AIR 11 hours and 12 hours

IN TRANSIT

Hong Kong International Airport is very easy to navigate but huge. If you are in transit for a short period it pays to find out early the gate of your on-going flight as you could be in for an epic walk. If you choose, Cathay Pacific schedules can give you almost a day's lay-over, allowing you time to catch a train to downtown Hong Kong to stretch your legs, explore and shop.

THE SEAT STUFF

As-new fabric seats, 17.8 inches wide on the A340 and 19.5in on the 777, with extra elbow room thanks to a solid seat divide that holds the foldout dining trays. Eight inches of recline makes for easier and more comfortable sleeping.

BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

Up to 20kg check-in. Up to 7kg carry-on, though there were a few interesting interpretations of carry-on luggage as the passengers around me loaded up the (fortunately large) overhead lockers.

COMFORT FACTOR

The seat had good adjustable headrests for height and side "loll" support, plus either calf rests or a raised footrest. The 38 inch seat pitch gave all the legroom (and some) that I needed with a 6 foot 3in frame, and no dramas with passengers behind when in recline. The two planes differed in layout slightly and on the 777 the bulkhead seat is the best option if you can get it. On the A340 go for the rows behind if you have long legs.

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT

Cathay's Studio CX entertainment system has a good on-demand mix of recent movies, standards, festival/fringe and family viewing plus TV programmes/series and music. Plenty of choice basically. Controls pull out from seat arm on an inertia reel cord. The noise cancelling headphones were so good I used them to listen to audiobooks on my iphone for a large part of the flight.

THE SERVICE

Cabin crew were friendly and efficient throughout, welcoming Premium Economy passengers to their seats with a choice of juices or glass of bubbles.

FEEDING TIME

Four meals were served between Auckland and Manchester plus snacks available on request. All except breakfast were preceeded by a drinks round. The food was tasty and nicely presented on spacious trays with steel cutlery, served with wine if wanted or the usual selection of drinks. Menu choices included stir-fried beef with ginger and onions, seared chicken breast with roast carrot sauce, pasta with fennel and olive caponata and baked hoki with creamy mushroom and leek sauce.

THE VERDICT

My flights (including the return journeys) left at very civilised times so I left feeling fresh. Cathay's Premium Economy has a dedicated check-in lane so there was no frustrating queuing. The extra recline and comfort of the seats reduced LHNB (long-haul numb bum) and allowed proper sleep. I judge all my long-haul flights on how fast they seem to have passed - these went by in the blink of an eye.

FREQUENCY

Flights depart Auckland every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 1.30pm arriving in Manchester at 6.30am the following day. See cathaypacific.com

The writer flew courtesy of Cathay Pacific
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/7...chester-united
Old July 28th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #299
WingTips

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
Ryanair Adds...

Ryanair will this week base an additional aircraft at MAN taking the total to eight at the airport, hopefully we will see an increase in frequencies and additional routes?
Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:09 PM   #300
WingTips

Thomas Cook Airlines to add Aircraft...

TCX will add an additional A320/1 next year to the fleet at MAN, this will take the number to 4 x A321, 1 x leased A320. These will up the numbers of Airbus fleet and replaces one 757.

Tags
european hub airport, uk airports