daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
weirdo
helter skelter

Likes (Received): 307

Kuala Lumpur

I wish I could spend more time in KL.

I only had a day because I was traveling with other people, but I was so pleased with what I have seen so I had to be back someday. If my plans push through I would be coming back to West Malaysia and hopefully could spend a few of those days in KL.

Since there aren't so many places I have seen here, I would post photos in chronological order. It was an overnight trip from Singapore, where I stayed for most of my last vacation. Please feel free to also visit the thread I had for that other wonderful city here

Petronas Twin Towers KLCC lobby
158 Jalan Ampang
2012 May 04 6:22

It was a four-hour journey by bus, and we arrived at about 4 am in the hands of people I haven't seen in a while- awesome taxi drivers. Very much like their Manila counterparts, they were eager to set the fare before we hop in.

We asked them to drop us off in a nice place where maps and money changers are available, preferably in some place where we can chill till the attractions open (it's 4 am, I know it's quite impossible). We were somehow dropped in some happening district with beyond-drunk backpackers.

Deciding that it's not for our best to stay there, upon exchanging some of our currencies we probably had no choice but to agree with our driver to double the fare and drop us off at Petronas Towers.

I hoped that things would get better from there. At the back of my mind I knew it would. Ever since I've signed up in SSC almost 9 years ago, to see Petronas Twin Towers was one of my ultimate dreams. I was only just about to enter it.

6:23

Last edited by weirdo; July 12th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
weirdo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
weirdo
helter skelter

158 Jalan Ampang
6:23

The sky was still very dark, so the towers were still wonderfully lit upon arriving. There was some open park in front of the tower. We thought that since it was CBD area we somehow could find some 24-hr fast food or 7-11 of sorts nearby, but gave up on that idea since there's none visible in the vicinity. We loitered around the park for about an hour or so.

Thankfully the lobby is already open for visitors, even if the ticketing counter isn't opening till 8 in the morning yet. That's another hour and a half of waiting.

I was beyond happy with the lobby. It's so beautiful and deserving of being the lobby of two of the most beautiful skyscrapers in the world. I took my first shot (post above) and liked it a lot. I'm feeling lucky that day and hoped that I'd get good KL shots because I only have a day.

6:26

Last edited by weirdo; July 12th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old July 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
weirdo
helter skelter

158 Jalan Ampang
6:26

Taking a few shots here and there surely passes the time, but I gotta be careful still since I've only two fully-charged batteries for the day.

6:32

Last edited by weirdo; July 12th, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
weirdo
helter skelter

Menara Public Bank and Ambank
146 Jalan Ampang
6:44

The sky was turning brighter outside. I wouldn't be able to take night shots in the area, so I took advantage of the fact that the lighting was available at dawn.

Petronas Twin Towers
158 Jalan Ampang
6:52

Last edited by weirdo; July 12th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #5
weirdo
helter skelter

Menara BSN
no address online
6:51

Petronas Twin Towers
158 Jalan Ampang
6:51

Got called out by the security taking this one cos apparently I was stepping on the fountain area. Didn't have a clue as it was still turned off that time.

Last edited by weirdo; July 12th, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #6
weirdo
helter skelter

Petronas Twin Towers basement ticketing area
158 Jalan Ampang
6:56

Last edited by weirdo; July 12th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old July 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #7
weirdo
helter skelter

Petronas Twin Towers basement ticketing area
158 Jalan Ampang
7:39

Just had to take a shot of this. The Malay word for male "lelaki" is similar to Filipino "lalaki". It isn't surprising because both are very closely related in the Austronesian language group. However, neither of the two languages is intelligible to either speakers.

Reading the notices in Bahasa doesn't make sense to me, but comparing the words to the English version of the same text, I see some familiar root words in Filipino.

The booths opened much later than 8 am, but it paid to be very early as tickets for the day could be sold out pretty quickly. We got the first batch tickets. If we arrived just as the booths were opening, we probably would get a much later batch tickets, which would get us stuck in KLCC for longer (and elsewhere in KL for less).

8:33
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #8
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244521

Great, amazing photos from Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #9
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

nice city
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

thanks for the nice pics from K.L...
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
weirdo
helter skelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Great, amazing photos from Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano_pellicano View Post
nice city
Indeed. Thanks for commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguine View Post
thanks for the nice pics from K.L...
No prob, and thanks for dropping by the thread.

I always think the images are too big for threads. Is there a code available for resizing images?

The good side in allowing tourists to go up a skyscraper: Everyone willing to pay for the view gets a chance to do just that, and get as much info you want to know about the building

The bad side: there's time limit. Around 10-15 minutes only in Petronas skybridge.

Petronas Twin Towers skybridge
158 Jalan Ampang
9:03

view from Petronas Twin Towers skybridge
9:11

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #12
weirdo
helter skelter

view from Petronas Twin Towers skybridge
9:11

What I didn't ask the guide was whether the metal frames pictured below are actually supporting the skybridge or are just there for aesthetic purposes- cos they do look sleek and neat.

With limited time asking is quite not recommended. I had to adjust and readjust settings, and I'm new with such cameras. Light steadily increasing in a quick phase didn't help. I had post processing in mind as consolation, but I'm showing pics here as they were taken-not cos I'm strict about these things, it's 2012, but more like cos I'm not feeling extra diligent.

Moving on to a higher floor, woot. It's almost the topmost occupiable floor. Or was it the topmost floor already? Looking at the other tower, I'm not sure I have a clear answer yet.

9:29

The one they used for tours is obviously the lesser-photographed twin. I feel terrible for its disadvantage.

There's a longer time allotted for exploring this floor, still, one had to go with the rest of the 'tour group' which means, people not as hardcore scraper fans get bored before you, and they are the majority so they will want to go earlier than you do, for sure.
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #13
weirdo
helter skelter

view from (almost) the top of Petronas Twin Towers

looking down a bit.

9:29

Photos such as these are encouragement to learn and practice more

9:35

Just in case you haven't seen KL from this view yet. I think it's really nice. The area is dense, but not so much, with bits of greenery here and there. It's quite planned but just enough chaos to be a bit intriguing,
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #14
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4385

great pics. thx for sharing weirdo
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Student4life

Likes (Received): 43

Great pics
Student4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote