daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #21
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2506

Review of the 2000 network statemant. Under picture. (provides details of the proposed link from Mayfield to Oxford Road, suggesting a small number of through platforms)

Aerial view of Piccadilly and Mayfield.

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/nms-gmpte.pdf
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #22
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 10

I personally think they've got their priorities wrong... New Street and other Stations are in much more desperate need of redevelopment. Didn't they expand Piccadilly the other day? I arrived there a few weeks ago and its already extremely modern and huge.

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #23
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2506

More updated articles on the proposal below picture.

Aerial view of Piccadilly and Mayfield.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=531669
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #24
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

I've just been looking at some maps and I can't see where this fly over is going to go between Piccadilly and Victoria. Anyone want to draw a map?
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #25
Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
I've just been looking at some maps and I can't see where this fly over is going to go between Piccadilly and Victoria. Anyone want to draw a map?
There would be no flyover between Piccadilly and Victoria, that would be ridiculous. The Picc-Vic line will be via Oxford Road and Salford Central stations. The flyover is to the south of Piccadilly to bring trains from Ardwick way into 13/14 which are next to the MacDonald hotel.
Irwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #26
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwell View Post
There would be no flyover between Piccadilly and Victoria, that would be ridiculous. The Picc-Vic line will be via Oxford Road and Salford Central stations. The flyover is to the south of Piccadilly to bring trains from Ardwick way into 13/14 which are next to the MacDonald hotel.
"There could be a new rail link between Piccadilly and Victoria, a rail flyover south of Piccadilly to allow trains to come in from the Ardwick direction and measures to ease congestion on platforms 13 and 14 where all trains from the north must pass on two lines."

Ok then! So where the hell is this new rail link between Piccadilly and Victoria then? Unless its just so mods to the line South of Salford I can't see where its going to be built.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #27
Irwell

Quote:
"There could be a new rail link between Piccadilly and Victoria, a rail flyover south of Piccadilly to allow trains to come in from the Ardwick direction and measures to ease congestion on platforms 13 and 14 where all trains from the north must pass on two lines."

Ok then! So where the hell is this new rail link between Piccadilly and Victoria then? Unless its just so mods to the line South of Salford I can't see where its going to be built.
It's simply a new stretch to bring trains through from the Liverpool-Manchester line and into Victoria. I couldn't tell you exactly where they'll put it though as that's one of the things the feasibility study will look into.
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #28
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
It's not that I'm against this good idea, but it does seem unfair Manchester gets so much money towards transport projects while the rest of the country really suffers. It's so unfair. I mean Hamsphire and Leeds have had their cheaper tram proposals cancelled...
Lets not forget though that Manchester also had its tram scheme cancelled, but fought passionately and persistently to get it back. Leeds and Hampshire didnt.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #29
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 573

Yes I agree; again, Im not against this at all. However, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield all deserve their supertrams or extensions before schemes like this are put forward. £2bn would cover the cost of 2 or 3 tram networks the size of Leeds' (28km). It wasnt that long ago that Manchester Piccadilly was refurbished. I know that this is about improving capacity, but there are priorities. As mentioned, Birmingham New Street is in much more need than perhaps any other station in the UK.
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #30
Irwell

This is the preliminary work to prepare the rail network in Manchester so that a Northern Crossrail could be implemented. Would you rather have a couple of tram lines or Northern Crossrail?
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #31
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 668

I think that's a slight exageration.

It's a feasibility study looking into doing the necessary works to improve east-west intercity links throughout the north which could in theory be utilised by any as yet hypothetical northern Crossrail scheme.

Leeds Number 1, I suppose the logic behind funding this (if that is indeed what happens) is that it's benefits will be felt far beyond Manchester and that (I believe) it was identified as a key priority in the Eddington report.

I still don't understand how a few flyovers and a tiny bit of new viaduct is going to cost 2bn pounds.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #32
Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
I think that's a slight exageration.

It's a feasibility study looking into doing the necessary works to improve east-west intercity links throughout the north which could in theory be utilised by any as yet hypothetical northern Crossrail scheme.

Leeds Number 1, I suppose the logic behind funding this (if that is indeed what happens) is that it's benefits will be felt far beyond Manchester and that (I believe) it was identified as a key priority in the Eddington report.
Quite simply, without this Northern Crossrail cannot happen. The Manchester hub could not take the increase in traffic. If Northern Crossrail is to happen, this needs to happen first.

Quote:
I still don't understand how a few flyovers and a tiny bit of new viaduct is going to cost 2bn pounds.
Piccadilly is getting quite a bit of investment out of it. I think 13 and 14 are going to be extended onto the free space between the station and the MacDonald hotel. The flyover will cost a fair bit too, as will the improvement works at Victoria.
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #33
Irwell

Quote:
Since a northern Crossrail isn't a concrete proposal it is a bit disengenuous to say that without this it will never happen, since we have little solid reason to think it will happen anyway, and don't know what form it would take if it did.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I still think 2bn is an absurb amount of money. Not that I'm complaining if that's what it takes, but if that is what this seemingly humble project requires I'd hate to think what an actual 'Northern Crossrail' would cost.
I think you might be shocked when you see the extent of it. It sounds simple on a bit of paper, but in reality it's a very complex job and it'll basically double the possible throughput of central Manchester.
Old October 7th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #34
Cherguevara

Since a northern Crossrail isn't a concrete proposal it is a bit disengenuous to say that without this it will never happen, since we have little solid reason to think it will happen anyway, and don't know what form it would take if it did.

I still think 2bn is an absurb amount of money. Not that I'm complaining if that's what it takes, but if that is what this seemingly humble project requires I'd hate to think what an actual 'Northern Crossrail' would cost.
Old October 7th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #35
Cherguevara

I wish the forum could put responses in the logical sequence.

Thameslink TNG (or whatever it's called this decade) is only going to cost 5 bn, and that involves new stations, a good few flyovers and a brand new viaduct slapbang through the middle of sunny and expensive central London. We shall see.
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #36
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 712

It's only a feasibility survey guys. Central government could say "no", or "come back in 10 years". The latter is what they said 10 years ago. Brum have been told to come back Q4 2008, BNS is a totally different thing.
Old October 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #37
DNA858
_______/\/\__________/\/\

Likes (Received): 0

does anyone know if the work on platforms 13/14 will include modernisation work to the actual platforms, or is just work on the track?
DNA858 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #38
MikeD

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

It's all in this doc. It's called the 'Ordsall Curve' (p29)

http://www.thenorthernway.co.uk/down...&page=2&skin=0
MikeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #39
heatonparkincakes

Likes (Received): 306

Can see some problems already

First up

Alowing Roger the dodger near £2bn. How many Stockholm type buses will be bought.

The election that caused Rosie Winterton to rush around isnt happened yet. Will she still love you in the morning. Will that promise be remembered in 2008

If they intend to push all the East coast to Airport traffic through Victoria and past Piccadilly, then isnt that even more trains per hour using the llines aside Whiteworth Street/Anthony Wilson Boulevard?

Does it mean all the east coast trains will go east then west

And the Liverpool/North Wales trains go east then west into piccadilly?

Is the Manchester Hub, going to be ceramic or chrome?
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #40
staticmeltdown

Likes (Received): 5

The report seems to suggest a figure much lower than 2bn, as it seems to suggest recommending only one of the two proposed schemes (Ardwick flyover or Ordsall).

I think the viaduct in the city centre could probably handle a lot more traffic if these schemes went ahead, because much of the constraint on platforms 13/14 is down to trains waiting due to congested tracks and congested platforms - both of which would be addressed.
staticmeltdown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: