daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #21
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
What is the point of asking for open discussion when you firstly tell everyone they are not allowed to discuss what you don't agree with?
This is what he meant: What are the advantages of twin complexes, in general, as opposed to single or non-twin complexes? Or why aren't they advantageous? This isn't a Twin Towers vs 1WTC thread. He merely used them as the initial comparison, as an example. The thread title can be misleading.
Someone should change the thread title to Reasons why a twin complex is better than a non-twin complex

OR: Which is better, a twin complex, or a non-twin complex? to allow for more interesting discussion.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #22
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopacz View Post
Oh then you just cut off your request "this thread is made for discussion".
I would gladly speak with some people that actually are open for discussion. I gave my reasons as to why it's not a good solution anymore. Looks like it's an old russian exam : "who was the best president and why is it Putin ?"
No. This thread was made to discuss why twin complexes are better than single towers not why they're worse or how it's useless because then it wouldn't be on topic. If you want to discuss why they're worse or useless, make a thread about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
What is the point of asking for open discussion when you firstly tell everyone they are not allowed to discuss what you don't agree with?
The point is to remain on topic, read above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMC0282 View Post
image hosted on flickr

Certainly the old twins used to be a New York City's icon, I even could say that were actually an american icon, have a new twins would be the chance to increase this landmark as a new icon, and IMO, a truly sign of a fully recovery from those dark days in 2001... and let's be honest, Manhattan's skyline it's not the same without the twins, beyond the economic factor or convinience of two towers, we need to think about what means this place for everybody
I agree, i was super surprised when they announced they weren't going for a twin tower complex seeing how that became such a powerful american symbol over the years. Standing tall and united etc
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #23
johnybarkerr

Likes (Received): 0

As per my opinion, As much as I liked the original towers, they are pretty much useless right now. Doubling a tower seems cheap to me and it's just a cheap shot at trying to be different than the rest. As we can see in the renders above, current buildings benefit nothing from being doubled.
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #24
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnybarkerr View Post
As per my opinion, As much as I liked the original towers, they are pretty much useless right now. Doubling a tower seems cheap to me and it's just a cheap shot at trying to be different than the rest. As we can see in the renders above, current buildings benefit nothing from being doubled.
Why did you copy my post ?
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #25
ThatOneGuy

That profile is most likely a robot... ignore it.
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #26
Gistok
The LEGO Guy

Likes (Received): 37

There is beauty in the art of repetition... and the Twin Towers did show that. I agree that the different tower designs all linked together does not quite do it justice.

In Detroit they planned a Hotel Tower and 4 matching office buildings that today is the GM World HQ... also known as Renaissance Center. There's a certain beauty to having 4 matching towers as part of the city's downtown centerpiece....

image hosted on flickr
Gistok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #27
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

im glad there not building twins because who wants to look at that and remember what happened, thats not to say that i wouldnt mind seeing 2 tall twins popping up somewhere else in nyc, but i just think for that certain area of land it was good that they changed it and did not make 2 new twins
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #28
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Your thread title says:

Quote:
Reasons why a twin complex is better than 1 world trade center
Then you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsoftheworld View Post
No. This thread was made to discuss why twin complexes are better than single towers
So is this thread is really about the advantages of twin towered complexes vs single towers in general, or is it about why twin towered complexes are better than 1 WTC?

You keep contradicting yourself.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #29
ThatOneGuy

I explained it in my post above...
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #30
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

It's a question to the thread starter, not to you.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #31
ThatOneGuy

Where do you think I got my answer from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsoftheworld View Post
Those are gorgeous, it also looks neat and organized. And this topic isn't solely about the WTC, but twin structures in General. The initial comparison being the new WTC.
Old July 28th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #32
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Wand another one: We wouldn't have to worry about finding more tenants. We'd only need half.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #33
windowsoftheworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
Your thread title says:

Then you say:

So is this thread is really about the advantages of twin towered complexes vs single towers in general, or is it about why twin towered complexes are better than 1 WTC?

You keep contradicting yourself.
Isn't the new WTC made up of 5 single towers? I don't see why this is so hard to understand for some of you, the WTC in NY was the only complex i could've used as an example for this thread seeing how the old was Twin towered and the new isn't. However, this thread isn't solely about the WTC, just twin towered complexes in general vs Single towers. Maybe i'm typing in Chinese without realizing it.
Old July 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #34
Kiboko
hubba hubba

Likes (Received): 327

The old twins were well designed, but they were an eyesore in the skyline. Most people never liked them. The new situation looks more appealing. New York is doing a great job by redevelop the area instead of cloning the originals.
Kiboko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #35
windowsoftheworld

They were actually pretty much loved and praised not only in NYC or America, but all over the world.
And they weren't eye sore imo, they gave the skyline an identity.
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #36
ThatOneGuy

They were some of the most beautiful buildings in the world and nothing can replace them. I would have thought this even before 9/11. Perfect design, (I love minimalism), and perfect location.
But seriously, this thread isn't about the NYC twin towers.
Old July 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #37
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
Most people never liked them.
Yeah, no, bullshit. Something tells me you've never been to New York.

Most people on this forum never liked them. They are very much alive, to this day, throughout the city, and are still well-loved and missed.

Last edited by Chapelo; July 28th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #38
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22548

I wouldn't say they were "well loved" at all, they were just identified with New York. Hence why they're on that old company logo you posted.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #39
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnybarkerr View Post
I think he was symbolically referring to his closing statement. In his opinion, there's no benefit of a tower being doubled, so he posted it twice to show there's no benefit from repeating something as well in an attempt to make a point.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #40
ThatOneGuy

Nice theory...but it's just a spam-bot Nothing symbolic.