daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #61
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

The thread was actually asking about the World Trade Center. It's in the title, and in the first post there's an image of the old complex, and it's even specified that any ' "it's never gonna happen" bullshit ' will not be welcome, and that's clearly referencing that particular development. I don't know at what point the OP decided it wasn't about the WTC, but it certainly was originally.

Also it did seem that despite wanting a discussion, there was only annoyance directed at posters who had negative thoughts either regarding twin towers in general or the WTC in particular.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #62
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #63
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Damn i've explain the reason why i put 1 WTC on the title and why the WTC complex IS relevant to this discussion, i never said it wasn't. But, either i'm getting trolled or some of you lack some serious brain cells.
Here i go again:

The WORLD TRADE CENTER in NEW YORK CITY was the only complex i could've have used as an example CONSIDERING THIS COMPLEX HAS BEEN BOTH TWIN TOWERED IN THE PAST AND SINGLE TOWERED IN THE PRESENT. HOWEVER, THIS THREAD ISN'T SOLELY ABOUT THE WTC, BUT ABOUT TWIN TOWERED COMPLEXES IN GENERAL. THE TOPIC OF THIS DISCUSSION IS: WHY DO TWIN TOWERED COMPLEXES HAVE THE UPPER EDGE ON SINGLE TOWERED ESTABLISHMENTS AS OPPOSED TO WHY NOT, SO PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC.

I'm just happy at least some of you got the point and this thread wasn't a complete mess.
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #64
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

^ ok like you just said if wtc site is an example, why can't we talk about it? your contradicting yourself
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #65
windowsoftheworld

Please show me where i have stated that you couldn't talk about the WTC, in fact, there has been some discussion about the WTC all while remaining on topic thanks to a few great members.
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #66
Bruce.Tenmile

If somebody came to this thread, and it'd gone the way you wanted, and no one had said a single bad word about twin complexes, they'd have a false impression of what people on this site think.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #67
windowsoftheworld

No, because if that somebody had a head over their shoulders, they would know exactly what the topic of this discussion is about.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #68
Bruce.Tenmile

The topic here is twin complexes. If it's any sort of discussion, and you claim you want it to be, both sides must be allowed, or by definition, it's not really a discussion, or at very least, it's a severely constrained discussion. I don't understand really why all you'd want is to have your thoughts on this subject enforced anyway. Surely if you were truly interested in this then you'd want all views on it. You might hear some opinions you disagree with, but you might also hear a point that you hadn't considered or you weren't even aware of.

If you feel so strongly one way about something, which quite frankly in this case, doesn't really affect you at all, that you can't hear a single dissenting word about it, I don't know what to say.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #69
ThatOneGuy

This is getting hilarious.

@windowsoftheworld Would it be okay to list advantages of single towers over twin towered complexes as well?

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; August 4th, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #70
windowsoftheworld

Well i guess a little order is impossible anymore.
Do whatever you all please.
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #71
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Personally, I feel that in any discussion, espically in a discussion thread, those with opposing views should be allowed.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #72
ThatOneGuy

Alright, fine. Here's an opposing view that is on topic. If a complex has differently designed towers (non-twins) like, say the new WTC

or 1 and 2 Prudential Plaza in Chicago,

they are easier to distinguish from one another. You can easily tell which tower is which.

However with identical twin towers, it is harder to differentiate the two.
It is very difficult to tell which was tower 1 and tower 2 for the old WTC (sans antenna) and for, say, the Patronas Towers.

Anything else?
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #73
windowsoftheworld

nontwins provide variety.
Old August 4th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #74
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsoftheworld View Post
No, because if that somebody had a head over their shoulders, they would know exactly what the topic of this discussion is about.
Seriously pal, what do you expect to achieve with all of this. You make a thread with a certain thread name but plan on making it about something different and if people either talk about what the title of this thread suggests, or about an opinion different than yours, you insult them. According to you this is not a discussion, this is your monologue
Old August 7th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #75
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
OT, so far we've got:
1.Efficient
2.Improve the Skyline.
3.Easier to identity.
4.They Look neat and organized.
5.Twins complement each other aesthetically.
6.Aesthetically appealing.
7.??

1.Efficient - Efficiency is relative. I know your initial argument claimed that two tall towers save more ground space than a greater number of shorter towers. However, a single tower twice as tall as the Twins would save even more space. At the same time, taller buildings lose economic viability as they rise higher due to elevator shaft sizes and structural constraints, and dense neighborhoods use ground space more efficiently than sparcely built ones anyway. You provide no argument to back your "efficiency" clain, thus your point here is void.
2.Improve the Skyline. - Highly subjective. An argument could be put forth that diversity is better for the skyline than monotony of twinned structures.
3.Easier to identity. - Highly subjective. A standalone, single tower can be just as memorable when it comes to identity.
4.They Look neat and organized. - Highly subjective. Complexes with diverse towers can appear just as organized.
5.Twins complement each other aesthetically. - Highly subjective. Towers of varied heights and designs can complement each other even more so than dull copies of the same design.
6.Aesthetically appealing. - Highly subjective. Aesthetics are a matter of personal taste.

So far you've failed to make a single valid point to back up your argument.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #76
windowsoftheworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCom View Post
1.Efficient - Efficiency is relative. I know your initial argument claimed that two tall towers save more ground space than a greater number of shorter towers. However, a single tower twice as tall as the Twins would save even more space. At the same time, taller buildings lose economic viability as they rise higher due to elevator shaft sizes and structural constraints, and dense neighborhoods use ground space more efficiently than sparcely built ones anyway. You provide no argument to back your "efficiency" clain, thus your point here is void.
Complexes usually will always have more than 1 tower, that was the ground discussion here. How do twin towers have the upper edge on complexes that have multiple non twin towers buildings scattered around the area a la WTC.
I don't need to back up this argument because it is logic; Two Buildings take less space than 4 or 5 buildings. PERIOD.
Money and resources also come into play in efficiency, and twin complexes also have the upper edge by needing less of everything in order to erect.
I could go on and on, but i think i've made my point clear.

Quote:
2.Improve the Skyline. - Highly subjective. An argument could be put forth that diversity is better for the skyline than monotony of twinned structures.
Yup, but this thread revolves around naming reasons why twin towered complexes are better than non twin towered complexes, not the opposite. Subjective opinions are unavoidable in this case.

Quote:
3.Easier to identity. - Highly subjective. A standalone, single tower can be just as memorable when it comes to identity.
Two Burj Khalifa's aren't more memorable than 1?

Quote:
4.They Look neat and organized. - Highly subjective. Complexes with diverse towers can appear just as organized.
It's not subjective, you've said it yourself twin towered complexes provide monotony, which would essentially look methodical.

Compare this:

To this:
(the red highlighting the complex)

Quote:
5.Twins complement each other aesthetically. - Highly subjective. Towers of varied heights and designs can complement each other even more so than dull copies of the same design.
The point of that was to point out how twin towers usually feed of each other's looks and presence to look pleasant on the eye.

EX:

Quote:
So far you've failed to make a single valid point to back up your argument.
I've made myself pretty clear thus far, and thankfully, a few members understood the point of this thread. To those members, you guys are the best!

Last edited by windowsoftheworld; August 7th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #77
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Complexes usually will always have more than 1 tower, that was the ground discussion here. How do twin towers have the upper edge on complexes that have multiple non twin towers buildings scattered around the area a la WTC.
I don't need to back up this argument because it is logic; Two Buildings take less space than 4 or 5 buildings. PERIOD.
Money and resources also come into play in efficiency, and twin complexes also have the upper edge by needing less of everything in order to erect.
I could go on and on, but i think i've made my point clear.
You are aware that the old WTC was a complex consisting of not 2, but 7 buildings, right?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #78
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Of course he is, but how much space is there in 3WTC, 4WTC, 5WTC, and 6WTC? About 30 floors total. And 3WTC was a hotel. Only 1WTC and 2WTC (And somewhat 7WTC) were the office space. 2 main towers vs. 4 main towers now is a monstrous difference.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #79
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Of course he is, but how much space is there in 3WTC, 4WTC, 5WTC, and 6WTC? About 30 floors total. And 3WTC was a hotel. Only 1WTC and 2WTC (And somewhat 7WTC) were the office space. 2 main towers vs. 4 main towers now is a monstrous difference.
But when you think about it alot of the floors are mechanical.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #80
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5327

I just love how they draw attention and how the astetics kan change by just duplicating a structure.

image hosted on flickr

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6031/6...395135f2_z.jpg

http://esquirerealestateny.com/wp-co...kyline_big.jpg