daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
the golden vision

Likes (Received): 682

Liverpool Universities,Colleges and Research Centres

Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine has just recruited another 150 scientists as part of its expansion programme. Excellent news.

Sponsored Links

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
MR KITE

Likes (Received): 181

Liverpool Community College launches academy to assist superport growth

LIVERPOOL Community College is launching a logistics academy providing training for the city’s growing ports and logistics sector.

The college has been confirmed by the National Skills Academy for Logistics as a Licensed Provider.

The UK logistics sector is seen as a key area of growth for Liverpool, particularly with the Peel Group’s plans to create a superport on the River Mersey.

Currently the sector employs around 193,400 people across the North West – more than 6% of the region’s workforce. Merseyside’s maritime sector alone employs more than 27,000 people.

Della Thomas, employer relationship manager at Liverpool Community College, said: “The logistics sector is a huge industry in the UK, employing more than 2.3m people.

“It’s going to be a key plank for the city’s future growth and it’s vital that there is the training and support available to benefit workers in the industry and help those looking for a career in the sector to get the skills and experience they need.”

The academy is currently in its early stages but courses will be offered from the college’s existing centres and will include the Pathway to Apprenticeships for Port Skills Programme developed for the National Skills Academy for Logistics.

This new programme is being offered at a national level and can be adapted to up-skill staff already working in the sector or train from scratch those looking to work in the port industry.

Elaine Bowker, principal of Liverpool Community College, added: “Becoming an NSA Logistics partner is a great achievement for the College.

“With Liverpool becoming a superport we are expecting more than 30,000 jobs to be created. This Academy will provide the training for these jobs and help ensure local people benefit form the career opportunities created by the superport.”

Read More http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...#ixzz22zAHyT7u
MR KITE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #3
MR KITE

Best value universities revealed: how to get a good degree, low fees and cheaper living costs and why Liverpool is a winner

With a new university term approaching, thousands of eager college and sixth-form leavers will be either looking forward to starting their degree or still in the process of sorting a university place.

But with tuition fees now costing up to £9,000 a year and living costs rising, it is now more important than ever before for students to pick the right university which will give them a good balance of quality learning and cheap living costs.

Research two weeks ago showed that on average, a student starting a course this year would rack up an eye-watering £53,000 debt - making the wrong choice when it comes to selecting university can end up being a costly mistake.
University of Liverpool: Comes out as the best value for students, once tuition fees, rental costs and league table ranking were taken into consideration

University of Liverpool: Comes out as the best value for students, once tuition fees, rental costs and league table ranking were taken into consideration

A new Student Value for Money report from Simple Landlords Insurance has ranked all 116 universities according to tuition fees, local rental prices and their position on the university league table 2013, arriving at a final score to represent the overall value for money each institution provides.
METHODOLOGY

Data was gathered for rental costs per student per week for each respective area, picking a fixed number of random lettings from those areas and averaging this cost.

Rent was found to have a range of £43.68 to £108.03, so on the scale, £43.68 scores 1,000 and £108.03 scores 0.

Average tuition fees charged each year by all 116 universities were scored on a similar scale, using the recorded low of £3,375 and maximum fee of £9,000; £3,375 scored 1,000, while £9,000 scored 0.

In instances of fees being listed as ‘between £7,000 and £9,000’ a median of £8,000 was used.

The report has crowned University of Liverpool the winner, offering the best value for money to students in the country.

With tuition fees at £6,750 a year and average rental prices sitting at £56.94 per week, students will also benefit from a good standard of learning, coming 31st in the university league table for academia for 2013.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...#ixzz24su9HHs8
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #4
PeterStoba

Likes (Received): 489

Tuition fees at £6,750 a year? I don't think so!
PeterStoba está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
design_man

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR KITE View Post
Best value universities revealed: how to get a good degree, low fees and cheaper living costs and why Liverpool is a winner

...University of Liverpool: Comes out as the best value for students, once tuition fees, rental costs and league table ranking were taken into consideration

.....The report has crowned University of Liverpool the winner, offering the best value for money to students in the country.

With tuition fees at £6,750 a year and average rental prices sitting at £56.94 per week, students will also benefit from a good standard of learning, coming 31st in the university league table for academia for 2013.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...#ixzz24su9HHs8
Excellent - this is precisely the type of cost advantage that helps Liverpool. There are advantages to being a poorer city (lower land and property costs) and it's great if potential students from elsewhere are incentivised to take advantage of Liverpool's highly competitive costs.
design_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Medi73#!

Likes (Received): 723

Whatever happened to the principle that education is a right.
Medi73#! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #7
design_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medi73#! View Post
Do you mean entitlement? I agree it's a shame it's got so expensive, it will definately deter people who could benefit. But I also think too many people were going, and degrees were getting dumbed down, and at least if people have to pay (albeit repay a loan once their income is above a certain level) it makes people a bit more discriminating about what and where to study. A relative of mine, who quite frankly isn't the sharpest pin in the pinbox, went to study a degree in retail management. Quite frankly she'd have learned a lot more just getting a job in a shop. Degree my arse. Total waste of money.

I think the point of this story though is that it's a sign that Liverpool can do good business out of being a relatively low cost (ie a poorer city). Higher education is a big business for the city, bringing lots of high quality employment.
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
Tuition fees at £6,750 a year? I don't think so!
"For 2012/13 entry the University of Liverpool is charging £9,000 for all eligible undergraduate programmes"

Source - http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...nance/fees.htm

"Liverpool John Moores University will be charging a tuition fee of £9,000 per year for UK/EU full-time students starting undergraduate degree courses in 2012"

Source - http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/feesandfunding/117500.htm

"The tuition fees for Undergraduate students joining Liverpool Hope University in September 2012 are: Full time undergraduate 2012/13 starter £8,250"

Source - http://www.hope.ac.uk/undergraduate/...g/tuitionfees/

"Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts will be charging a tuition fee of £9,000 a year for UK/EU full-time undergraduates starting degree courses in 2012"

Source - http://www.lipa.ac.uk/content/Course...ntFinance.aspx

"From Autumn 2012, Edge Hill University will charge £9,000 for full-time BA, BSc and LLB degrees"

Source - http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/undergradu...ndergrad2012ft

Last edited by Howie_P; August 30th, 2012 at 01:30 AM.
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #9
design_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_P View Post
"For 2012/13 entry the University of Liverpool is charging £9,000 for all eligible undergraduate programmes"

Source - http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...nance/fees.htm

"Liverpool John Moores University will be charging a tuition fee of £9,000 per year for UK/EU full-time students starting undergraduate degree courses in 2012"

Source - http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/feesandfunding/117500.htm

"The tuition fees for Undergraduate students joining Liverpool Hope University in September 2012 are: Full time undergraduate 2012/13 starter £8,250"

Source - http://www.hope.ac.uk/undergraduate/...g/tuitionfees/

"Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts will be charging a tuition fee of £9,000 a year for UK/EU full-time undergraduates starting degree courses in 2012"

Source - http://www.lipa.ac.uk/content/Course...ntFinance.aspx

"From Autumn 2012, Edge Hill University will charge £9,000 for full-time BA, BSc and LLB degrees"

Source - http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/undergradu...ndergrad2012ft
Interesting. The Mail link is dead, and I can't find the report or any details on the website of the company who produced it....or anywhere by google searching. Maybe report has been withdrawn if it's got such a glaring error in it? Pity though, as it was a bit of good news for Liverpool if it was right.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Primary and secondary education, maybe. But university? No. Free education is enough to give you a platform to work. If you decide you want to go further and aim higher than others, then maybe that is the you need to invest financially in yourself.

I want to learn Spanish, but should I expect to get this for free?

The other point, already alluded to, was that far too many people go to university for the free system to be sustainable. Also, the old system was effectively poor people's taxes being used to subsidise a small elite to go to university to leap frog them and reaffirm positions of wealth and authority. Opening up education broke that down to a point, but the numbers are simply unsustainable now without increases fees.
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Dingle All The Way

Likes (Received): 44

You can learn spanish pretty cheap with the council adult learning courses. I did a French course and my French is pretty amazing now.
Dingle All The Way no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Medi73#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
Primary and secondary education, maybe. But university? No. Free education is enough to give you a platform to work. If you decide you want to go further and aim higher than others, then maybe that is the you need to invest financially in yourself.

I want to learn Spanish, but should I expect to get this for free?

The other point, already alluded to, was that far too many people go to university for the free system to be sustainable. Also, the old system was effectively poor people's taxes being used to subsidise a small elite to go to university to leap frog them and reaffirm positions of wealth and authority. Opening up education broke that down to a point, but the numbers are simply unsustainable now without increases fees.
You see I disagree. This is one of the richest countries in the world and I refuse to believe there's no money, it all boils down to priorities doesn't it?

I do agree though that some higher education institutions are better than others and some degrees such as 'retail' are not worth the paper they're written on.
By the way if you want to learn Spanish there's nothing to stop you buying textbooks and teaching yourself that way.
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #13
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
You see I disagree. This is one of the richest countries in the world and I refuse to believe there's no money, it all boils down to priorities doesn't it?

I do agree though that some higher education institutions are better than others and some degrees such as 'retail' are not worth the paper they're written on.
By the way if you want to learn Spanish there's nothing to stop you buying textbooks and teaching yourself that way.
But why shouldn't I get Spanish lessons paid for by the state? Education is education. I've no problem paying for it mind. Just using it as an example. I agree it's all about priorities, but putting more and more people through uni for nowt was just unsustainable. Possible if there was a cap on the number of students each year or something, but then that's even more unfair.
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Medi73#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
But why shouldn't I get Spanish lessons paid for by the state? Education is education. I've no problem paying for it mind. Just using it as an example. I agree it's all about priorities, but putting more and more people through uni for nowt was just unsustainable. Possible if there was a cap on the number of students each year or something, but then that's even more unfair.
There's plenty of money in the city if it were taxed fairly. If you want free Spanish go the library, but then it won't be long before we have to pay to get in that, the absolute triumph of neo-liberalism is accepted as a consensus across the board, and it doesn't have to be.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:24 AM   #15
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5255

Apologies for the shameless self-promotion of my Blog, but I thought this story might interest you guys...

---

World's first HIV/AIDS nanomedicines

Scientists at the University of Liverpool are leading a £1.65 million project to create and test the first nanomedicines for treating HIV/AIDS.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/2012/09/2.htm

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Medi73#!

Interesting, i do think some sort of vaccine for HIV could be available in less than a decade.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM   #17
Pablo Diablo

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Interesting, i do think some sort of vaccine for HIV could be available in less than a decade.
Let's hope! A vaccine for HIV would be a massive world-changing development. It would be one of the biggest and most important developments for humanity for decades.
Pablo Diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM   #18
tomo90

Likes (Received): 173

It would end the constant worry about catching it as well. Not that a vaccine or cure should make people think its nothing if u catch it but you know what I mean.
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
MR KITE

Liverpool top of the class for schools rated outstanding or good

LIVERPOOL has more of its schools classed as ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ than any other big city in the country.

The government announced in September that all schools inspected by Ofsted must be judged as ‘good’ to be deemed up to scratch.

And today the ECHO can reveal that Liverpool schools are ahead of the game with 77% of the 168 schools in the city classed as ‘good’ or the top rating of ‘outstanding’.

It means the city tops the list of the country’s big cities - well above Manchester’s 66% and joint second place Warrington and Lancashire at 71%.

The success completes a double helping of Ofsted glory with the ECHO already revealing how for the last 18 months no school in the city has been classed as failing by being judged ‘inadequate’ or given a ‘notice to improve’.

Out of 168 schools, 87 are rated good and 38 are outstanding.

It is a major turnaround from just over a decade ago when 25 schools were judged to have either serious weaknesses or be in special measures and the education service was on the brink of being privatised because it was failing children.

Today Liverpool council said its School Improvement Service team, which regularly reviews recommendations made by Ofsted, and sharing good ideas from other schools across the city had helped.

Transformed schools include Blueberry Park Primary in Dovecot which faced closure in 2008 following a damning Ofsted inspection.

A new board of governors and leadership team were appointed and its latest inspection in May 2012 moved it up from ‘satisfactory’ to ‘good’.

Headteacher Kathryn Honey said: “We are all so proud of what the school has achieved.”

Exam results in the city are also at record levels with provisional figures for 2012 showing the number of students getting five good GCSE results including English and maths is above the national average for the first time ever.

Cllr Jane Corbett, cabinet member for education, said: “This is an incredible achievement.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...#ixzz270kl15Yw
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1597

That's fantastic news.