daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:56 PM   #1
siddzy

Likes (Received): 0

Commuting to Canary Wharf

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I am looking for answers to these tw questions

1. I need to stay at Milton Keynes (MK) and work at canary Wharf (CW), is that even feasible?

2. If yes, then how long would be the best and the inexpensive commute respectively.
siddzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
jdjones
Citizen Not Subject

Likes (Received): 1431

Well Trains from Milton Keynes Central to London Euston take 35 - 45 min. I would take the Northern Line to Bank from Euston, then change at Bank for the DLR to Canary Wharf, which takes 25 min OR take Victoria line from Euston to Green Park, change for the Jubilee to Canary Wharf, which takes about 28 min.
Old August 1st, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3
mirrorglass

I've been commuting from MK for the last 10 years with an additional 30 minutes of car/tube/walking on either side of the journey. Personally, I quite enjoy it.

Maybe a few points to think about...

They've recently extended the peak-time window, so if you wanted to save money with off-peak tickets, there are huge restrictions on the hours you can travel.

A peak travelcard (zones 1-6) costs £132 per week from MK - I'm not sure what the monthly costs are at the moment but the savings aren't particularly significant, maybe £5 a week.

They removed high-speed Virgin services from typical commuting hours many years ago, so you're stuck with the slower trains on a typical 9-5:30 arrangement (45-50 minutes) - check out londonmidland.com, you can custom-build a timetable and see what's available against what you'd personally put up with.

I tend to catch the 6:43 back home, it's the first quick train out of Euston, arriving at MK a few minutes before 7:20. (yes, the timetable lies)

If you left from CW at 5:30 and caught the earliest train you could, you'd only get back 15 minutes sooner (catching the 6:13 London Midland service - which can be a particularly horrible ride during school holidays)

If you're not too used to the underground, the Victoria line from Euston can be unbelievably busy in rush hour and Bank station is utterly enormous and completely confusing for the first few goes. Saying that, it only takes a few weeks to work out what route works for you.

Good luck! hopefully you'll find it as fun as I do
mirrorglass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:29 AM   #4
siddzy

thank You. This is most helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorglass View Post
I've been commuting from MK for the last 10 years with an additional 30 minutes of car/tube/walking on either side of the journey. Personally, I quite enjoy it.

Maybe a few points to think about...

They've recently extended the peak-time window, so if you wanted to save money with off-peak tickets, there are huge restrictions on the hours you can travel.

A peak travelcard (zones 1-6) costs £132 per week from MK - I'm not sure what the monthly costs are at the moment but the savings aren't particularly significant, maybe £5 a week.

They removed high-speed Virgin services from typical commuting hours many years ago, so you're stuck with the slower trains on a typical 9-5:30 arrangement (45-50 minutes) - check out londonmidland.com, you can custom-build a timetable and see what's available against what you'd personally put up with.

I tend to catch the 6:43 back home, it's the first quick train out of Euston, arriving at MK a few minutes before 7:20. (yes, the timetable lies)

If you left from CW at 5:30 and caught the earliest train you could, you'd only get back 15 minutes sooner (catching the 6:13 London Midland service - which can be a particularly horrible ride during school holidays)

If you're not too used to the underground, the Victoria line from Euston can be unbelievably busy in rush hour and Bank station is utterly enormous and completely confusing for the first few goes. Saying that, it only takes a few weeks to work out what route works for you.

Good luck! hopefully you'll find it as fun as I do
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM   #5
MatthewGen
Registered Don

Likes (Received): 13

I don't have any useful input but, all that sounds horribly depressing. Just saying.. :P
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
siddzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewGen View Post
I don't have any useful input but, all that sounds horribly depressing. Just saying.. :P
Hi. I actually moved and am surprisingly enjoying my commute on the MK- Canary Wharf line. It is something like this:
Milton Keynes->Euston->Bank-> Canary Wharf.
Travel time ranges from 1hr 10mins to 1hr 45mins.

However the arrangement is really expensive. The monthly pass is costing 506Pounds and I really could not find anything less expensive.
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #7
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 125

You know, sometimes empolyers will pay for travel to work if you ask them nicely.
jamiefearon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Gavrosh

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddzy View Post
However the arrangement is really expensive. The monthly pass is costing 506Pounds and I really could not find anything less expensive.
Move to London, then.
Gavrosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #9
caned_monkey

Or at least the suburbs, personally I've never understood why anyone would work in one town and live in another.
caned_monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Mwmbwls

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned_monkey View Post

Or at least the suburbs, personally I've never understood why anyone would work in one town and live in another.
1: House Prices/negative equity 2: Employment location of spouse or significant other 3: Continuity of children's education 4: Dependent relatives/caring responsibilities 5: Home town links 6: Likes trains.7: Living with parents.8: Temporary/Contract Employment. Hope this helps
Mwmbwls está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote