daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #41
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7573

It won't. The new building is as high as the Stadthaus next to it.
http://www.deutsches-architektur-for...53&postcount=1
scroll a bit down and look at the visualisations.

Last edited by Saxonia; August 16th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #42
eu
Magic Member

Likes (Received): 30

Thanks for the info Saxonia.
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #43
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

I like this new project near the new Rathaus but for me it would be much better without the tower. It would fit much better if the height of the building was the same as its "wings" and the adjacent historical buildings.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #44
Saxonia

I don't think so. There exists also plans which are smaller. Like this one
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4053/30866336.jpg
absolutely inappropriate in my opinion. It is a chance to bring this ensemble to a good end. The old pre war building was quite nice but much to small for the Stadthaus that was build next to it few years later.
An indication how fast this city grew that time by the way.

Max BGF liked this post
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #45
JValjean

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMass View Post
It really reminds me of this one in Wroclaw:
Yes, this new building in Leipzig ist obviously influenced by "Kaufhaus Petersdorff" in Breslau from 1928 (architect: Erich Mendelsohn)
JValjean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #46
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

So which building is going to be built? That nice neo-"Kaufhaus Petersdorff" or that bland boring alternative?
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #47
Karasek

Likes (Received): 808

Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #48
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 879

Amazing that all that can be built on what looks like such a tiny corner of land. A real streetscape improvement.
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #49
Karasek

Likes (Received): 808

The canals and streams were restored in the last 20 years too, which gets celebrated with the annual water festival:

(all pics Stahlbauer/stadtbild-deutschland.org)
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #50
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59680

Thanks a lot for this thread Karasek, it was so overdue!

Please keep going! And it'd be great if the forumers from (around) Leipzig contribute interesting material here as well, it's your chance to show the world the gem the city is becoming

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #51
Kingofthehill

Likes (Received): 112

Are there any updates to this wonderful thread? I visited last October, and saw a large number of buildings in varying states of renovation.
Kingofthehill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #52
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1497

More, much more, here:
http://www.deutsches-architektur-for...ead.php?t=6929
Enjoy!

437.001, Max BGF liked this post
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #53
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15450

Amazing, not just by the buildings, but by the number of them.

It´s incredible how run down was Leipzig. It looked like Detroit, and now it looks (again) like an extremely beautiful big German city.
It is as much of a rebirth as what´s being done in Dresden, of even more.

Were all these houses empty from the communist days, from the war, or did most of it all happen after the reunification?

Are there as many restoration works in the Dresden Neustadt as in Leipzig?

At Dresden´s Neumarkt they had to start from scratch, and the reconstruction of some important buildings (ie: the Frauenkirche) is a major achievement, but I´m under the impression that the restoration, sometimes reconstruction, at Leipzig, spans a much larger sector of the city, or is it just me?
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #54
Saxonia

At first, Leipzig had its peak of inhabitants with about 718.000 people in 1930. Some more numbers:
Pre war 1939: ca. 708.000, 1945: ca. 580.000, 1970: ca. 584.000, 1998: ca. 437.000, 1999 (incorporations of nearby villages): 489.532, 2012: ca. 521.000
Such a change in inhabitants is far from any development of a west german city of this size. Even Dresden had not such extreme variations. I think you get an impression of the vacancy rate of buildings. In general and very generalising, the communists had no money to restore the old buildings. They built Plattenbauten far from the center (Grünau) and demolished some old quarters. People were happy to get a new flat because they were much more comfortable than the old run down buildings. So during communist times these areas became more empty from time to time. Luckily, when it was planned to demolish the biggest parts of the Gründerzeitviertel and to replace it with new buildings, the wall came down. Shortly after that many people moved to the west, or built their own houses far from the city center. This reduction of inhabitants hit the whole city not only the old quarters before the renovations started.

Quote:
At Dresden´s Neumarkt they had to start from scratch, and the reconstruction of some important buildings (ie: the Frauenkirche) is a major achievement, but I´m under the impression that the restoration, sometimes reconstruction, at Leipzig, spans a much larger sector of the city, or is it just me?
Thats why many of these areas where renovation is currently going on in Leipzig, doesn't exist any more in Dresden. The Altstadt and the nearby Gründerzeit quarters with a high density of buildings were almost completely destroyed by the bombings. But Dresden has very large areas of residential villas (Striesen, Blasewitz) and good preserved outskirts. They do a good job in renovation there too in my opinion.
Quote:
Are there as many restoration works in the Dresden Neustadt as in Leipzig?
As the (äußere) Neustadt is very small compared to areas of this type in Leipzig, no. The Neustadt is the only part of the inner city structure which was not completely destroyed. But as already said it is quite small.

437.001, erbse, Max BGF liked this post
Old November 5th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #55
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I love it when buildings get renovated. Demolition is a shame for any building.

Chimer, Max BGF liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #56
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
At first, Leipzig had its peak of inhabitants with about 718.000 people in 1930. Some more numbers:
Pre war 1939: ca. 708.000, 1945: ca. 580.000, 1970: ca. 584.000, 1998: ca. 437.000, 1999 (incorporations of nearby villages): 489.532, 2012: ca. 521.000
Such a change in inhabitants is far from any development of a west german city of this size. Even Dresden had not such extreme variations. I think you get an impression of the vacancy rate of buildings.
I didn´t know that the loss of population was so huge.

But now, the fact that these quarters are being restored is an asset for the future of the city.

I don´t know if I´m wrong, but right now, Leipzig must have one of the biggest historical quarters of Germany, Berlin aside.
Maybe the biggest after Munich?

Of all the big German cities, I guess Leipzig must be one of the least known, far behind Munich, Hamburg, Cologne, Frankfurt, Dresden and even Stuttgart.

But as restoration goes on and time goes by (and word spreads), that will attract more and more tourists...

And the fact that Leipzig is next to Dresden makes these two a hell of a tourist pack (and Berlin and Thuringia are not that far, either).

Quote:
In general and very generalising, the communists had no money to restore the old buildings. They built Plattenbauten far from the center (Grünau) and demolished some old quarters. People were happy to get a new flat because they were much more comfortable than the old run down buildings. So during communist times these areas became more empty from time to time. Luckily, when it was planned to demolish the biggest parts of the Gründerzeitviertel and to replace it with new buildings, the wall came down. Shortly after that many people moved to the west, or built their own houses far from the city center. This reduction of inhabitants hit the whole city not only the old quarters before the renovations started.
Ok... I guess that in this, Leipzig was not that different from the rest of Eastern Germany and the rest of ex-communist countries.

Quote:
Thats why many of these areas where renovation is currently going on in Leipzig, doesn't exist any more in Dresden. The Altstadt and the nearby Gründerzeit quarters with a high density of buildings were almost completely destroyed by the bombings. But Dresden has very large areas of residential villas (Striesen, Blasewitz) and good preserved outskirts. They do a good job in renovation there too in my opinion.

As the (äußere) Neustadt is very small compared to areas of this type in Leipzig, no. The Neustadt is the only part of the inner city structure which was not completely destroyed. But as already said it is quite small.
Ok, alles klar.
Thank you very much for the explanations.

Max BGF liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; November 6th, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #57
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2100

The city of Bach.

Wonderful development. I had always heard that Leipzig was one of the most polluted and depressing cities in the old GDR. Now it is becoming very beautiful again.

It is so good to see so many residences restored and renovated.

This is another wonderful thread about Leipzig.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post100353442

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #58
Sapere Aude

Likes (Received): 1940

Pics by DaseBLN @DAF

Old November 7th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #59
Sapere Aude

Likes (Received): 1940

Pics by Riesz @DAF