daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Old August 9th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Prim72

Likes (Received): 0

Frenchman moving to Dublin [Work related]

Hi everybody

I am going to move to Dublin for work for at least 6 months, and probably a year. I'm very enthusiastic to find out a bit more about your capital.

Therefore, I have a few questions :

1 - Is this a dynamic city ?

2 - Dublin contributes for about half of Ireland GDP, Is it recovering ?

3 - I will not earn a lot of money (25 000e/year) what will be my net salary each month you think ? (only if you have any idea)

Thank you for your answers in advance.
Prim72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 9th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 197

First of all, welcome to Dublin Prim72! Hope you enjoy your time here with us.

To answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim72 View Post
1 - Is this a dynamic city ?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean diverse, then yes - people from every corner of the globe live in Dublin. If you mean economically dynamic, that depends. There are a lot of different industries and employers in the city, particularly internet-based ones.

Quote:
2 - Dublin contributes for about half of Ireland GDP, Is it recovering ?
Yes, but it is a very slow recovery and there are often hiccups along the way. At the moment the economy as measured by GDP is expected to grow this year, but by GNP it might actually contract.

Quote:
3 - I will not earn a lot of money (25 000e/year) what will be my net salary each month you think ? (only if you have any idea)
The tax will be taken from your salary every month by your employer (this is called the 'PAYE' system). The exact amount of tax you pay will depend on your circumstances (e.g. married/single, children, illness/disability, and so on).

This tax calculator from Deloitte is very useful. Initially it shows that if you earn €25,000 you will be left with a monthly net salary of €1,791 (€21,495 for the year). When you are leaving Ireland you might be able to claim a certain portion of this tax back, it depends.

Don't hesistate to ask if you have any more questions. This website (CitizensInformation.ie) is a fantastic resource that can answer many questions.

Last edited by Catmalojin; August 9th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
Catmalojin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #3
Prim72

Likes (Received): 0

Hi,

I wanted to thank you for your answer. Very, very useful.

I will update this post as soon as I get to Dublin to tell you about how I feel about this city.
Prim72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #4
plank007

Likes (Received): 22

If you want to work and get paid in Ireland you will need to get a PPS number ASAP. You can't open a bank account in Ireland without one.

More information here -

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...ce_number.html
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #5
yannms2001

Likes (Received): 7

Hi!
I'm French too and I lived 5 years In Dublin, I'm sure you'll love the city and most importantly the people! Try and visit the country too while you're In Ireland, you will see that Dublin is very different.

Also, another tip, google the website "forum des expatriÚs franšais" or "forum MFE". You may find many answers to your questions in terms of paperwork for before & after your trip. Some people use the website to meet other French living in Ireland, but then I think they fail to connect with the country, the people, the culture... It's just a "french experience abroad". I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but that's how I see it.
yannms2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: