daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21038

Elevators, tall buildings and the floor space paradox

First, a disclosure: I'm not a civil engineer...

Something that leaves me intrigued is the need of high buildings for means of elevation, without whom they couldn't possible work.

I've read some articles and texts explaining the issue, which is also a bit intuitive: the higher you get, the more vertical transportation capacity you need, or else a building can't function properly.

So they come with express elevators, sky-lobbies and the likes. At least that seams to be current practice.

I have some doubts about that:

1) What is the highest floor count a modern (say, built after 1990 in Western(ized) countries) will have before resorting to express lifts or sky-lobbies?

2) On these supertalls, what % of the total floor area is usually taken by elevator shafts?

3) Is there any building with height above 150m with vertical spacing of lift stops? I mean a building in which, for instance, only one out of every 3 floors has access to elevators, so to get to the other floors, people take a lift to an upper floor than go downstairs to their floor if it isn't served by lift.

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

unfortunatelly, I don't know the answer, but I have a pic that can explain something...
look at and get your own conclusions...
I got it in the internet, but I don't remember the font...
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

having those lift access every two or three floor save a bit of time but not floot space, you still need to transport the same number of people.

the appropiate solution is to use those twin floor type elevators.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.

Last edited by mrfusion; August 13th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

It also depends on usage. An office skyscraper has much different lift pattern usage than a residential or hotel skyscraper.
Gherkin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #5
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Yes, and we have engineers to work out what are the best elevators/lift solutions. And it also have to work out how does the system work if one or more lift is out of service.

But still, I don't see how having lifts access every few floors help.

I experience a really bad design in Paris, it is 40 levels residential building, probably about 10-12 unit each. There are 4 lifts, 2 lifts service only L1-20, and 2 lifts service L21-40. When i was there, both L1-L20 lifts is out of service (still out of service when I left, so at least 7 days).

Imagine both L21-40 is out of service.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

I recall a single elevator can only go about the equivalent of 80-90 stories due to physics-related limits. That's why skylobbies are needed to transfer to the higher floors, eating up valuable office space on the floorplate. However, I thought some really tall buildings of 100+ stories have freight elevators that go all the way up.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #7
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I recall a single elevator can only go about the equivalent of 80-90 stories due to physics-related limits.
Burj khalifa "at the top" is on Level 124.