daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 5

Model Highways and Streets

Here is a thread idea for a topic about model highways and streets such as most people pay attention to the railroad tracks on model railroads but what about the different types of streets and highways that run on the model layout.

Such as I'm building a large city layout that is going to have more than simply trains it's also going to have a sensible road and highway system that follows alongside the railroad tracks or even in most cases follows it's own path. The roads even have their own fictional names and numbering systems along with back stories behind them.

This photo down below is a photo of my Ho scale my double decked city freeway called the Valley System Turnpike. The highway runs though the core of the downtown part of the city on a double deck ten lane wide freeway with six lanes of traffic running on the double deck and four lanes of traffic running on the bottom deck.

Later on when I expand the train set I would like to build out the road system over time where it starts out as a primitive system of dirt and roman like roads and over time slowly convert the dirt roads into two lane and four lane wide paved highways along with extending the fictional Valley System Turnpike across the layout. This highway I would like to when I find the space for it would like to widen it to 12 lanes wide to show how much space a full sized 12 lane wide freeway would really take up if it was modeled in Ho scale on a train set layout. But for now I also have four to six lane wide city streets with sets of streetcar tracks running down the sides of them. Most modelers pay attention to trains on layouts but I like to pay a great amount of detail to how the car world affects the model world.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

In H0 scale (1:87) there is the Faller Car System, that guides road vehicle models using cables under the model road.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

I looked at that model self driving car system and found it very cool I found a you tube video on it showing the cars driving around a model train set's city streets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_BLB...dR7ioE-pHtU9TA

Now that I know this thing is real and is ready for the home layout I'm differently going to build a small self driving car system when I start work on my rural village layout in the next eight months. I also plan to see if I can get my layout's city streets ready for the self driving cars and buses.

This is very interesting in that train sets used to only be about the trains and the cars never moved but now it is possible to build a large car layout and not have any trains on it or have trains take on a lesser role.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
In H0 scale (1:87) there is the Faller Car System, that guides road vehicle models using cables under the model road.

I thought about getting that, but the vehicles have to be charged also they cost about 90 EUR each (trucks up to 110 EUR) , if you want some traffic it gets expensive.

But its fascinating to plan and build roads, fix the thread underneath and see those tiny cars run.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

The system I heard has a charger where the car pulls into it on it's own charger and charges up and gets back to driving on the city streets. I really wish Faller would sell maybe a $20 or $30 car so that people could fill their city streets up with traffic. What I pan to do is maybe set this system up with one or two buses or cars on a rural small town layout where cars would sort of be kind of rare. Or I could have the buses drive on the city streets and freeway with their own lanes while I have thousands of hot wheels cars sit in the other lanes in a giant traffic jam.
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #6
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Railroader View Post
The system I heard has a charger where the car pulls into it on it's own charger and charges up and gets back to driving on the city streets.
So it works at the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, the worlds biggest model railway. I dont now if they have done this self charging system on their own.

Faller probably have fully digitalized vehicles by now as the modeltrains which you can control with sound, lights and program movements.

But it's toys for men with lots of ca$h and spare time.

I have been doing modeltrain layouts since I was 5 years old, building layouts with rail and road, no moving cars though. If you buy your equippment on ebay, it's affordable and an interesting hobby.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
So it works at the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, the worlds biggest model railway. I dont now if they have done this self charging system on their own.
Yes, they invented their own system.

See this vid, at 26m38s: (in German)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsxAa5d7x4U
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote