daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #1
libbrit

Likes (Received): 24

A Liverpool Commonwealth games bid.

Having watched the Olympics, and even the Manchester Commonwealth games 10 years ago, its quite clear that events on this scale are both possible and succesful, and its fairly clear that it aids in regeneration of certain areas.

I was reading a few comments, admittedly of the wishful thinking variety on other parts of this forum about Liverpool one day bidding for the Olympics. As blinkered and pro Liverpool as i am, i think thats probably a stretch at the moment-but if we start bidding for events such as the Commonwealth games, world and european atheletics championships and more events in the way of 2008 capital of culture-who knows where that road will lead.

It strikes me that Liverpool has both the need for the games-the regenerate North Liverpool.

The requisite sporting presence

And the correct political structure-unlike a few years ago, Liverpool has a directly elected mayor. To be sure, no one quite knows what he specific powers are, but as London2012 has shown, having one central individual to speak on the behalf of the host city is invaluable.

Its also worth considering that the Commonwealth games, unlike the Olympics dont always involve such a massive scrap to get the games-mainly because a lot of the commonwealth hgasnt the money or infrastructure for it. As the Commonwealth games are unlikely to go to the UK twice in a row (2014 being in Glasgow), and we would most certainly need a substantial period of time to make preparations, im of the opinion that Liverpool should set a target of 2024 or 2028.

Such a plan would have the benefit of, if accepted, of swinging into action just as the Liverpool Waters (in whatever form it takes after English Heritage and UNESCO get their filthy mitts on it) developments are scheduled to be well underway, allowing Liverpool to project an image of development to the outside world, and ideally profit from that.

It might also help end the ongoing saga of Liverpool and Everton and their constant plans or plans for plans about new or improved stadia.

Imagine it-equestrian events at Aintree, sailing at West Kirby, rowing on the docks (near the Mersey Rowing club), a purpose built `Commonwealth park`with an athletics stadium that would be convertable to football for Liverpool and/or Everton FC, and an aquatics centre, complete with all the attendent improvements in the area in North Liverpool...........although we might be better off using Manchesters Velodrome

Thoughts? Who arranges these things? Who in the city should people talk to about it. Sod it, ill start a petition!
libbrit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #2
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 515

As to the Olympics. That's a no go. The IOC themselves came out before the London bid went in, to say that only London was capable of holding the Olympic Games. They said no other city had anywhere near the capacity to do so and would be wasting their time submitting a bid.

As to the Commonwealth, certainly. It would be fantastic if we got the games. We only have to look at Manc to see what money was thrown at them when they secured them.
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #3
thecityofgold

Likes (Received): 80

I think Manchester were fortunate in the timing of their hosting. It coincided with a massive credit led boom across the world and nation.

The problem with a Liverpool bid in the foreseeable future is the obvious one. Who pays?
thecityofgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 916

I have long felt that Liverpool should bid for the Commonwealth Games, and should put in a bid for the 2022 or 2026 games. However these things need a lot of extremely detailed planning and consideration, long before an official bid is submitted. Therefore, I think the time is right to be thinking about it now.

Money is obviously a concern, but as Manchester showed, once confirmed as host, you can get money from external sources. Even with the government keeping a tight grip on the purse strings, I'm sure they would be keen to continue on from London 2012, and would support any UK Commonwealth Games. Inevitably some money would come from council tax, but surely the gain would be worth it?

One major issue is competition. As noted, few Commonwealth countries have the means to host the games, and with the geographic ban on the same continent hosting two games in a row, the field is narrowed further. However the competition for Liverpool may not come from abroad. Cardiff have on and off actively considered a bid, and although I haven't heard anything official, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Birmingham had a think about a bid too. As only one city can go forward, there's an added need for speed, to ensure if a Liverpool bid proceeded, we didn't find ourselves in a preliminary competition so to speak, with other UK cities.

As for where in the city the main park should be located, I firmly believe this should be in the north of the city to aid regeneration there. However I also feel there should be an effort to ensure that there is a spread of venues across the whole city. For example, I wouldn't build an Aquatics Centre at the main park - I'd upgrade the facility at Wavertree. This would bring the games to those in that area, and also save money.

I know some people reading this may think this is a few people on an internet forum getting a bit carried away, but it doesn't have to be. There is no valid reason why Liverpool is not capable of hosting the Commonwealth Games. Fourteen years ago, the idea of Liverpool being a European Capital of Culture, never mind the best ever would have been laughed at - even after we won the bid it still was in certain quarters - but look at what we achieved. Whose to say in another decade or so we couldn't host the best Commonwealth Games ever too?
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
libbrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I have long felt that Liverpool should bid for the Commonwealth Games, and should put in a bid for the 2022 or 2026 games. However these things need a lot of extremely detailed planning and consideration, long before an official bid is submitted. Therefore, I think the time is right to be thinking about it now.

Money is obviously a concern, but as Manchester showed, once confirmed as host, you can get money from external sources. Even with the government keeping a tight grip on the purse strings, I'm sure they would be keen to continue on from London 2012, and would support any UK Commonwealth Games. Inevitably some money would come from council tax, but surely the gain would be worth it?

One major issue is competition. As noted, few Commonwealth countries have the means to host the games, and with the geographic ban on the same continent hosting two games in a row, the field is narrowed further. However the competition for Liverpool may not come from abroad. Cardiff have on and off actively considered a bid, and although I haven't heard anything official, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Birmingham had a think about a bid too. As only one city can go forward, there's an added need for speed, to ensure if a Liverpool bid proceeded, we didn't find ourselves in a preliminary competition so to speak, with other UK cities.

As for where in the city the main park should be located, I firmly believe this should be in the north of the city to aid regeneration there. However I also feel there should be an effort to ensure that there is a spread of venues across the whole city. For example, I wouldn't build an Aquatics Centre at the main park - I'd upgrade the facility at Wavertree. This would bring the games to those in that area, and also save money.

I know some people reading this may think this is a few people on an internet forum getting a bit carried away, but it doesn't have to be. There is no valid reason why Liverpool is not capable of hosting the Commonwealth Games. Fourteen years ago, the idea of Liverpool being a European Capital of Culture, never mind the best ever would have been laughed at - even after we won the bid it still was in certain quarters - but look at what we achieved. Whose to say in another decade or so we couldn't host the best Commonwealth Games ever too?
I totally agree-i wonder, who is it who would realistically start such a bidding process? There are so many regeneration companies in Liverpool these days
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Dingle All The Way

Likes (Received): 44

Surely the next English city to host the commonwealth games will be ..... London.
Dingle All The Way no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Skewed
Full of ideas....

Likes (Received): 90

now your talking! the very fact its being considered on here is interesting....daring to speculate ; D

Portfolio:

t-factory
Skewed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
buggedboy

Liverpool should become addicted to bidding for things. Nothing should be off the table. UN meeting? bid for it. Govmt dept. relocation? Bid for it. Festival? Bid for it.
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #9
libbrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
Liverpool should become addicted to bidding for things. Nothing should be off the table. UN meeting? bid for it. Govmt dept. relocation? Bid for it. Festival? Bid for it.

I think Liverpool is gradually starting to adopt that mentality-it started with capital of culture, but even this year there was that big business expo attended by Ricahrd Branson.

It raises the issue of global notoriety-in the UK, except for London and perhaps Edinburgh, for the shortbread and Whisky loving Americans, are there any places in the UK that have a global imageother than Liverpool?

Manchester might have `some` but thats only really amongst Oasis/Stone Roses and football fans.

Liverpool should be willing to, nay, addicted to, bidding for everything. If it doesnt always work, so be it, but even bidding for world level events gets us publicity in the end
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #10
golden66

Likes (Received): 27

If Glasgow can get it then surely Liverpool can. Liverpool's need is more than most.
Large area of N Liverpool in economic decline.
Government talk about rebalancing the economy.
Two premier league clubs both desperate for new stadium in the same area.
New Mayor desperate to leave a lasting legacy by saying "Liverpool's best days are ahead of it."
Liverpool is a sports mad city.
Liverpool has many of the locations and facilities in place they just need tweaking.It has everything that London has and more. The exhibition centre and arena for indoor events;Liverpool Bay for sailing;cricket ground for archery;Aintree for Equestrian; Knowsley parkland for triathlon and rowing; RunLiverpool for marathons; Wavertree maybe for aquatics;Bidston Hill for cycling etc. I think Liverpool would only need brand new facilities ,similar to London, like the stadium,velodrome,hockey,BMX, canoeing white water etc.

For Liverpool to move forward it needs to think big and act big.
golden66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Dingle All The Way

Sailing, BMX, Equestrian and canoeing are not in it. Rowing is optional.
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Dingle All The Way

If we bid we should say we're using Manchester's velodrome. It would probably be the only way they would support it.
Old August 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Dingle All The Way

Also the commonwealth games we play as England, Wales, Scotland etc. So a games here would not be the same country as the glasgow games or a cardiff bid so that wouldn't affect it. I'm pretty sure London will bid at the next possible opportunity.
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #14
libbrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden66 View Post
If Glasgow can get it then surely Liverpool can. Liverpool's need is more than most.
Large area of N Liverpool in economic decline.
Government talk about rebalancing the economy.
Two premier league clubs both desperate for new stadium in the same area.
New Mayor desperate to leave a lasting legacy by saying "Liverpool's best days are ahead of it."
Liverpool is a sports mad city.
Liverpool has many of the locations and facilities in place they just need tweaking.It has everything that London has and more. The exhibition centre and arena for indoor events;Liverpool Bay for sailing;cricket ground for archery;Aintree for Equestrian; Knowsley parkland for triathlon and rowing; RunLiverpool for marathons; Wavertree maybe for aquatics;Bidston Hill for cycling etc. I think Liverpool would only need brand new facilities ,similar to London, like the stadium,velodrome,hockey,BMX, canoeing white water etc.

For Liverpool to move forward it needs to think big and act big.
I agree with all of this (although I'd have the rowing starting on the docks that the Mersey Rowing Club use, ending in the Albert Dock and some of the Sailing at West Kirby on the Wirral)

The question is who would make this decision-who would people need to contact to set such ideas in motion. I'd love to know, because I'd soon send off a flurry of emails and petitions.

As for London applying for it-not necessarilly, the Olympics might work against it, with the powers that be preferring not to see London hog all the events (after Sydney 2000, the next commonwealth games in Australia were held in Melbourne not Sydney)
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #15
libbrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingle All The Way View Post
Sailing, BMX, Equestrian and canoeing are not in it. Rowing is optional.
I think a lot of them are opt-in events, but even so I could imagine Aintree being a useful place for various events

Also the Echo Arena would certainly have its uses
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #16
Paul D
Fugazi

Likes (Received): 1266

Why not sailing in Crosby Marina,it's closer? West Kirby is beautiful like. Until the authorities talk about this, this discussion is pointless, your time would better put to use emailing the people that matter, plant the seed in their heads.

Quote:
Also the Echo Arena would certainly have its uses
And the new convention centre.
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #17
buggedboy

I've already made contact with LCC about this. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #18
Paul D
Fugazi

Likes (Received): 1266

I lose hope sending emails, too many go unanswered, hopefully you'll have more luck.
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #19
golden66

Likes (Received): 27

I've emailed Joe Anderson on this one before, still awaiting reply. This would be transformational for Liverpool so lets have an avalanche of emails to the mayor.
golden66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #20
Dingle All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Why not sailing in Crosby Marina,it's closer? West Kirby is beautiful like. Until the authorities talk about this, this discussion is pointless, your time would better put to use emailing the people that matter, plant the seed in their heads.

And the new convention centre.
Sailing is not in the commonwealth games.