daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM   #21
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
I believe if and when we reach those multiple km buildings, it will not be a residential apartments as we have now where you park the car in the basement, it will be city size structure (or even city on top of city structure), you may be living on Level 545, and work on L535, there might even some version of cars and roads so you park close to your apartment, and actually drive to your office.

There will be schools, cinema, disco, hospital, even farms or even beaches within the buildings, chances are you will stay in the building, within your floor for majority of the week or months.

Going from floor to floor is similar to driving from city to city, going from building to building will be similar to leaving your state or country.

Chances are you will work and live in the same building, or even the same floor.
When such buildings will be built there will be no offices. Offices are dying off, already on the end of this century all office jobs except for classified government jobs will be done from home online. The age of offices continues to disappear and this brings another point, which indicates that construction of skyscrapers will be reduced in the future, because there will be a lot of office skyscrapers, which will undergo transformation to being residential

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:29 AM   #22
Bill Ding

Likes (Received): 0

If there's a beach in your building, it's no longer a building. What you have there is better described as an engineered ecology or a biosphere. That's what X-Seed would be.

I wonder about the amount of energy it takes to maintain supertall skyscrapers. James Howard Kunstler believes the end of cheap energy spells the end for skyscrapers.

Is there a practical purpose for buildings the size of the Burj Khalifa or the Kingdom Tower, or are they just a spectacle of phallic triumphalism? Certainly, the vertical advantage of the Empire State Building is obvious where horizontal space in Manhattan is severely limited, but is it the same out in the middle of the desert?
Bill Ding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:49 AM   #23
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
When such buildings will be built there will be no offices. Offices are dying off, already on the end of this century all office jobs except for classified government jobs will be done from home online.
I am not sure so sure if office work will disappear, while there will be a increase of working from home, what do you see as the main advantage to stay at home 9 - 5 except saving some travel time.

We have already waste a lot of time in facebook, or other non-work related activity in the office, if you are at home, you will waste even more time.

Quote:
The age of offices continues to disappear and this brings another point, which indicates that construction of skyscrapers will be reduced in the future, because there will be a lot of office skyscrapers, which will undergo transformation to being residential
You might prefer to work from home and conduct all your business online, but will you drink from home, now, a group of friends can get together in the pub getting drunk, will you drink from home while meet your friends onscreen, no drink driving.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:59 AM   #24
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ding View Post
If there's a beach in your building, it's no longer a building. What you have there is better described as an engineered ecology or a biosphere. That's what X-Seed would be.
Yes, a beach might be a bit extreme.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:31 AM   #25
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I don't expect a Utopian future though, quite the opposite actually. Eventually, I can see a city with buildings stretching miles high, not beautiful buildings, but structures void of any great architecture, more of a symbol of tyranny, and our oppression.

We all know that America can't last forever, or atleast in this current state. As globalization continues to increase, we move closer to fascism, and possibly a one world government.

So, before I start writing a novel called 2084(1984), tell me, what are your thoughts on what I just brought up ?
But totalitarism already started in the USA. Didn't you head about the Chick-fil-A controversy? Mayors of Chicago, SF and Boston saying: You don't share our liberal values, so get our of our cities!!! This is exactly stalinism, but instead of being forced to believe in marxism you are now forced to believe in their new favorite set of crazy ideas.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM   #26
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
When such buildings will be built there will be no offices. Offices are dying off, already on the end of this century all office jobs except for classified government jobs will be done from home online. The age of offices continues to disappear and this brings another point, which indicates that construction of skyscrapers will be reduced in the future, because there will be a lot of office skyscrapers, which will undergo transformation to being residential
But who wants to live in a huge phallic tower where you need to pay huge amounts of money to maintain all of the building+the huge fast elevators and where you waste 15 minutes just to get from your home to the sidewalk? Ok, sure some people will like that, but the tendency is exactly the opposite in my oppinion. The vast majority of people want a house with a garden or to live in small buildings, think about how the suburbs grow everywhere?

Not to mention that they must be great targets. I think that in a case of war iranians would first thing down Burj Dubai =D And the chinese would down Taipai 101

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM   #27
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
But who wants to live in a huge phallic tower where you need to pay huge amounts of money to maintain all of the building+the huge fast elevators
Building maintenance can be a problem.

Quote:
and where you waste 15 minutes just to get from your home to the sidewalk?
If everything is in the building, you may rarely need to go to bottom of the building. It is very hard for us to accept, but consider the building as your city, how long does it take for you to get out of your city?

Quote:
Ok, sure some people will like that, but the tendency is exactly the opposite in my oppinion. The vast majority of people want a house with a garden or to live in small buildings, think about how the suburbs grow everywhere?
And what if in the distance future, country side living is no longer a option.

Speaks to the country people, and it share your view, speaks to the city people, they will say, who would want to live in the country with a hectare of garden to maintain, and is 20 minutes drive to just get some milk. City people wants everything to be within minutes of where they live.

Quote:
Not to mention that they must be great targets. I think that in a case of war iranians would first thing down Burj Dubai =D And the chinese would down Taipai 101
China is not going to do anything to Taiwan, they are brothers.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:07 PM   #28
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
But totalitarism already started in the USA. Didn't you head about the Chick-fil-A controversy? Mayors of Chicago, SF and Boston saying: You don't share our liberal values, so get our of our cities!!! This is exactly stalinism, but instead of being forced to believe in marxism you are now forced to believe in their new favorite set of crazy ideas.
There is nothing crazy about believing all citizens should be free to live in freedom and equality and to oppose those who are against it.

Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:51 PM   #29
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Something like this?

Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
I am not sure so sure if office work will disappear, while there will be a increase of working from home, what do you see as the main advantage to stay at home 9 - 5 except saving some travel time.

We have already waste a lot of time in facebook, or other non-work related activity in the office, if you are at home, you will waste even more time.

You might prefer to work from home and conduct all your business online, but will you drink from home, now, a group of friends can get together in the pub getting drunk, will you drink from home while meet your friends onscreen, no drink driving.
I agree with you that real life friends are important, but office work has only huge disadvantages compared to home work and no advantages. I'll name those disadvantages of office work below:

- Huge costs for both employer and employee, to rent or build an office building is extremely expensive and so is transport of the employees to and from it.

- Top class firms aim for top class A office space to ensure that their employees will have as much comfort as possible, but even then, nothing is as comfortable as your own home.

- Productivity. Huge amounts of time are saved when working at home, because you can do household work during the pauses in your work, which means you get either more free time, or you can produce more work, or find a balance between both these advantages.

Final note. Preventing employees from visiting Facebook during work is an outdated and hopelessly ineffective approach. People can be deceived. If you want to ensure productivity of your employees you have to stop concerning yourself about how long they work and instead start caring about how much results they produce. Let them chat at Facebook all day if they want but they can't deceive time, they won't have enough time to produce the results the employer requested and they get fired. If they know that they have to produce results, they know that it takes time to produce them and they know that not producing those results will get them fired, they will not chat all day long and they will do their work even if you state that they are allowed to chat during work. I both work and study at home and I can tell you that my productivity is in every aspect vastly better than it was when I used to go to school or during the short period when I had an office job
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #31
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
I agree with you that real life friends are important, but office work has only huge disadvantages compared to home work and no advantages. I'll name those disadvantages of office work below:

- Huge costs for both employer and employee, to rent or build an office building is extremely expensive and so is transport of the employees to and from it.

- Top class firms aim for top class A office space to ensure that their employees will have as much comfort as possible, but even then, nothing is as comfortable as your own home.

- Productivity. Huge amounts of time are saved when working at home, because you can do household work during the pauses in your work, which means you get either more free time, or you can produce more work, or find a balance between both these advantages.

Final note. Preventing employees from visiting Facebook during work is an outdated and hopelessly ineffective approach. People can be deceived. If you want to ensure productivity of your employees you have to stop concerning yourself about how long they work and instead start caring about how much results they produce. Let them chat at Facebook all day if they want but they can't deceive time, they won't have enough time to produce the results the employer requested and they get fired. If they know that they have to produce results, they know that it takes time to produce them and they know that not producing those results will get them fired, they will not chat all day long and they will do their work even if you state that they are allowed to chat during work. I both work and study at home and I can tell you that my productivity is in every aspect vastly better than it was when I used to go to school or during the short period when I had an office job
Yep that is absolutely right. While I was working during the summer in an office, I just couldn't help but constantly look at the clock, waiting for lunch or time to go back home. Even though we moved to a small building where only this company was located, I still didn't feel quite well, even though the time spent traveling to and from workplace was shorter.
I'm doing commisioned 3D and 2D art from my house right now and I just can't describe it. I can wake up at 7, work till noon, cook something up, watch a movie, take a nap and then work in the night.
I hope this is the direction we take in the near future - sharing out time as we see fit, adjusting amount of work to other things we do and most of all, enjoying the place we live in.
Industrial times brough us smoky and dirty cities with factories all over.
These are now transformed into shopping centres and housing.
Modern times give us tall office buildings with smaller ones everywhere.
It's just a matter of time before things change.
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #32
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
No advantage?

Quote:
I agreee running a business can be expensive,

Quote:
This is just their choice, they want classA office because they can afford it, it has more to do with reputation and presentation then employee comfort, while your home maybe more confortable then your office, can you claim the same to every employee.

Some of your employee may be sharing a room with others, or don't even have a active internet connection which will restrict their ability to work effecticely. Smartphone does help, but still can not completely replace computers.

Anyway, office is not about comfort, whatever you see as comfortable is more to for your customers/client, then the employees.

Quote:
From a employee perspective, you got a lot of time to do your own stuff, but exactly that reason, to a employer's prespective, huge amount of time is waste.

If the role does not involved anyone else, then home office is a option, if it involved group activities, then you can't always rely on a net meeting.

Quote:
Final note. Preventing employees from visiting Facebook during work is an outdated and hopelessly ineffective approach. People can be deceived. If you want to ensure productivity of your employees you have to stop concerning yourself about how long they work and instead start caring about how much results they produce.
I am not even a employer, and I see this from a employee's perspective.

Results can not always be measure, how is the employer suppose to know if you really got into problem trying to solve a computing bugs, or if you spent time playing games, or worse, working on a 2nd job.

My wife is watching tv, and my kids is screaming behind me, I just can't stay focus, how am I suppose to work from home. If I live alone, with the space, with the necessary computing power, it may be ok.

FB or many other personal things does not need to be restricted, but I do admit, it can be a distraction.

Home Office has its places and will increase in the future, but will never replace tradional office.

Old August 26th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #33
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopacz View Post
I'm doing commisioned 3D and 2D art from my house right now and I just can't describe it. I can wake up at 7, work till noon, cook something up, watch a movie, take a nap and then work in the night.
I see that you work alone, suppose you need connections with other employer, do you expect them to share your desire work arrangement.

Old August 26th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #34
Kopacz

Quote:
I see that you work alone, suppose you need connections with other employer, do you expect them to share your desire work arrangement.
I don't think it would be a problem since in the end I complete even more than the standard 8 working hours and the only requirements I have is a certain level of quality and a deadline.
It works in movie development, video game industry and banking, tech support etc. so it's just a matter of time before it gets easier and more accepted overall.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #35
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Yep that is absolutely right. While I was working during the summer in an office, I just couldn't help but constantly look at the clock, waiting for lunch or time to go back home. Even though we moved to a small building where only this company was located, I still didn't feel quite well, even though the time spent traveling to and from workplace was shorter.
I hope this is the direction we take in the near future - sharing out time as we see fit, adjusting amount of work to other things we do and most of all, enjoying the place we live in.
Industrial times brough us smoky and dirty cities with factories all over.
These are now transformed into shopping centres and housing.
Modern times give us tall office buildings with smaller ones everywhere.
It's just a matter of time before things change.
There are even more changes on the horizon. Already we see that more and more shops go out of business because we order everything online. If the 3D printer gets mainstream, it may change even more. Physical shops, storage centers, even factories will be obsolete when everyone can download blueprints of everyday stuff and just print them out. Interesting times
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #36
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere

There are even more changes on the horizon. Already we see that more and more shops go out of business because we order everything online. If the 3D printer gets mainstream, it may change even more. Physical shops, storage centers, even factories will be obsolete when everyone can download blueprints of everyday stuff and just print them out. Interesting times
is it possible to print food?

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #37
Kopacz

Quote:
is it possible to print food?
Well technically yes They are already printing things on edible stuff (mostly cakes) and Japan has a very popular trend of food you make by adding water. If basic ingridients such as sugar and wheat can be altered in some kind of a machine to get varying results then food printing isn't far off. You would just order bags (printing cartridges ? ) of the basic ingridients and let the printer do the rest.
I wouldn't do that though :P I prefer cooking my meals on my own, since it would take years to determine that these ways of preparing food are absolutely safe.
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #38
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
You would just order bags (printing cartridges ? ) of the basic ingridients and let the printer do the rest.
This will probably be very expensive.

Quote:
I wouldn't do that though :P I prefer cooking my meals on my own, since it would take years to determine that these ways of preparing food are absolutely safe.
Me too, I don't want to eat an apple comes out of a printer, or a steak.

Will we have the same soft of ethic issues when people starts to print a puppy.

Old August 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #39
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
I can't see that happening at all. On-line communication is a very poor subsititute for actually meeting people.

Heaven knows, I've sat through enough drawn-out unproductive phone conferences to know how terrible they are, and skype conversations are nearly impossible between more than two people.

This idea of people contacting online is rather similar to the "cashless society" we've all supposed to have been moving towards for the last few decades. We're nowhere near irradicating cash, even though the technology exists, as we still prefer it for more personal transactions. It's quicker for one thing.

And it's the personal interaction that means the idea of all office workers working online is doomed to failure. It's just far less convenient for people who need to interact with others to do their job.

The problem with technology is that people get excited by the uses of it to such a degree that they don't consider if those uses are beneficial. It's like the invention of man-made fibres and artificial food colouring and flavours. We could all be walking round in polyester clothing that never needs ironing, but we actually found that people preferred the old fabrics. We may have the technology to have cheese that comes in lurid orange in an aerosol can, but people prefer real cheese. Likewise, it may be technically possible for a ground of friends to talk from their own homes to each other via an internet connection, but given the choice, nearly all would rather meet up in a bar.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #40
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There is nothing crazy about believing all citizens should be free to live in freedom and equality and to oppose those who are against it.

Chickfila's CEO just gave his view point. He never said he wouldn't hire or serve gay people, he just said that he was against gay "marriage". He has the right to do that because of the first amendment.

He is just expressing his opinion. Denying him service in Boston and Chicago goes against the 1st amendment, and is therefore unconstitutional!
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote