daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

MISC | Buying train tickets from a regular shop

I'm in Italy on holiday done quite a bit of traveling around on the train, but one thing I don't understand is why you have to buy train and bus tickets in a shop unrelated to the station. Why isn't there a machine or a ticket office (I know some larger stations have them) or like in the UK on small lines, buy on the train?

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63094

There aren't ticket machines because it's Italy, there isn't a ticket office since you don't really see ticket offices anymore in smaller towns in most European countries.

Using regular shops to sell tickets is actually a good solution to still give this service to the passengers, even if there's a ticket machine.

And it's not just something limited to train tickets, you often see that banks or the postal system also uses normal shops to provide service if their own offices are closed down in smaller towns.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #3
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8828

Please post all new threads in the thread finder.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:03 AM   #4
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

In Houston and Dallas you can get transit and toll road passes at grocery stores. The latter is probably more important and useful in those cities, of course.

In Chicago, if you want to buy the almost mythical single day "CTA fun pass" you have to go a "Currency Exchange", a chain of cash shops for wiring money, etc. Don't trust CTA's website or mobile app, some of the ticket vending machines that do passes have them disabled. Particularly O'Hare and Rosemont, so if you are a tourist coming into the city, well, sorry :P Thankfully on my last trip the nice CTA lady at Rosemont station gave me directions and let me go through the fare gate with a one-way ticket.

Last edited by zaphod; August 19th, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote