daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #2141
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Warmiaks and Masurians

http://ro.com.pl/category/audycje/male-ojczyzny

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; June 26th, 2016 at 01:55 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #2142
RS_UK-PL

New house in Nowy Zyzdrój/Neu Sysdroy, Masuria

http://www.polskadrewniana.pl/budowa-na-mazurach-3/8182

Urbanista1, Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; June 30th, 2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old June 26th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #2143
RS_UK-PL

Manor in Jełmuń/Allmoyen

http://ro.com.pl/dwor-w-jelmuniu/01254139

Reconstructed folk costume from the 18th century

Palace in Więcki/Wenzken

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; June 30th, 2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old June 26th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #2144
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13458

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervention View Post
Paslek is such an unfortunate urban planning and design mess. The layout was preserved, partly, it's main square was completely removed, urban blocks were replaced with apartments and only some historical structures were preserved. I feel so bad for such a quaint and lovely little town.
You're kidding, aren't you? Pasłęk is one of very few towns in warmińsko-mazurskie, which weren't completely destroyed by blocks of flats all around the Magdeburgish old town.
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #2145
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
You're kidding, aren't you? Pasłęk is one of very few towns in warmińsko-mazurskie, which weren't completely destroyed by blocks of flats all around the Magdeburgish old town.
Certainly not kidding!

I remember feeling the distinct void in Paslek as a result of it lacking a central square (ul. Chrobrego was apparently functioned like a Town Square but it lacks any sort of presence), the mess around the Old Town Hall (on the same street, which was partly lined with single storey bunkers) and the smattering of apartment blocks throughout. Even the castle was decrepit and sad.

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #2146
Rombi

Likes (Received): 304

I fully agree with intervention. I've been there a couple of years a go and I had a feeling that the city center was totally abandoned and no plan to rebuilt the old town undetaken. Just there and there remains of old glory of the city and commieblocks which fits there like fist to an ass.
Bo właśnie w podróży, rano, w obcym mieście, zanim druga kawa zacznie działać, doświadcza się najmocniej dziwności własnego, pozornie banalnego bytu. Podróż jest po prostu stosunkowo zdrowym rodzajem narkotyku.
Andrzej Stasiuk
Rombi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 04:42 PM   #2147
RS_UK-PL

University of Olsztyn awards honoris causa doctorate to Masurian Erwin Kruk

Lutheran Church in Dźwierzuty/Mensguth, Masuria

http://diec.mazurska.luteranie.pl/pl/default.html

Rombi, Roy Corduroy, TimothyR liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; June 29th, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old June 30th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #2148
RS_UK-PL

Prussian immigration from the today's Warmian-Masurian voivodeship to the US in 19-20th centuries
Quote:
Johann "John" Naschinski was born 21 August 1858 in Kunchengut, Kreis Osterode, Ostpreussen, the son of Adam Naschinski and Katharina Rykowski. He married Maria Rettkowski and had the following children: Gustav, Emil, Marie, Emma, Wilhelm, Martha, Elfrieda, Amelia Charlott, Louise, and Adina Anna.

Maria Rettkowski was born in East Prussia, the daughter of Daniel Rettkowski and Marie Witwiski.

Quote:
According to the back of his immigration card in the "U.S., Border Crossings from Canada to U.S., 1895-1956" database (ancestry.com), Leopold Bardeschewski's / Bardischewski's birthplace is given as Langendorf, Kreis Sensburg - which is located in the former German Province of East Prussia.

The name of the village today is Dłużec in the administrative district of Gmina Piecki, within Mrągowo County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, in northern Poland. It lies approximately 7 kilometres (4 mi) west of Piecki, 12 km (7 mi) south of Mrągowo, and 50 km (31 mi) east of the regional capital of Olsztyn.

Quote:
Edward Kordatsky was born in Sommerau, Kreis Rosenberg, West Prussia (now Ząbrowo, Województwo Warmińsko-Mazurskie, Republic of Poland), the third son of Peter and Wilhelmine (Ehlert) Kordatzki. He arrived in Baltimore on March 29, 1890 aboard the steamship SS Rhein from Bremen.

Quote:
Friedrich "Fred" Woickowski / Woiczechowski was born in Gross Starkenau, Westpreussen, Germany (now Starzykowo, Ilawa, Warminsko-Mazurskie, Poland).

Quote:
Daughter of John Matz and Catherine Sowka. Wife of Joseph Milkowski.

Quote:
Wilhelm Schittek was born 27 May 1893 in Mingfen, Landkreis Ortelsburg, Königsburg, Germany (now in Poland), a son of Jacob and Augusta (Kowalski) Schittek. He married Freda (Schwittay) Bertsch, widow of Gustav Bertsch (1895-1918) (who was killed in the German Army in World War I), and daughter of Karl and Marie (Specka) Schwittay on 30 September 1922 in Mingfen, Landkreis Ortelsburg, Königsburg, Germany (now in Poland).

Quote:
Friedrich "Fred" Sabrowski was born in East Prussia which is a former country prior to World War II in present day Eastern Poland. He married his wife Maria Katharine Pacholl at Barnewitz, Brandenburg, Germany in 1887. They had one Daughter Bertha Marie Sabrowski in 1888. He emigrated from the port city of Hamburg, Germany to Chicago via Liverpool, England to Quebec,Canada, then to Chicago with is 7 year old daughter Bertha and his wife.

Quote:
Alexander John Konopka was born at Konopki, a village in the administrative district of Gmina Biala Piska, within Pisz County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, in northern Poland; arrived in America around 1907 and married around 1910

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; July 8th, 2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old June 30th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #2149
RS_UK-PL

Examples of Masurian dialect...

...and Lithuanian in "Die Slawen in Deutschland" by Franz Tetzner (1902)

Source

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; June 30th, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #2150
RS_UK-PL

The National Heritage Board of Poland will help to popularise and protect Warmian dialect...

Source 1
Source 2
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:50 PM   #2151
RS_UK-PL

Elbląg Canal cruise

http://www.readyforboarding.pl/podro...-elblaski.html

Urbanista1, sorbitol, JMGA196 liked this post
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:54 PM   #2152
RS_UK-PL

Folwark Karczemka

http://www.readyforboarding.pl/podro...elblaskim.html

Puritan, Rombi, JMGA196 liked this post
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:58 PM   #2153
RS_UK-PL

Elbląg and Pasłęk

http://www.readyforboarding.pl/podro...blaskiego.html
Old July 1st, 2016, 01:06 PM   #2154
RS_UK-PL

Malbork Castle

http://www.readyforboarding.pl/podro...-malborku.html
Old July 1st, 2016, 02:58 PM   #2155
RS_UK-PL

Fragment of "Magni Ducatus Lithuaniae, caeterarumque regionum illi adiacentium exacta descriptio" (1613)

Source
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #2156
RS_UK-PL

A few pages of parish register (1775-1787) from Marggrabowa/Olecko, Masuria

Source

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; July 4th, 2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old July 4th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #2157
RS_UK-PL

Recently renovated town gate in Bisztynek/Bischofstein, Warmia

Source 1
Source 2

Bartoszyce/Bartenstein revitalisation plan

Source

Rombi liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; July 4th, 2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old July 4th, 2016, 06:50 PM   #2158
Vaner

Likes (Received): 501

To be frank, it looks more like devastation than renovation.
Vaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #2159
intervention
planning inaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaner View Post
To be frank, it looks more like devastation than renovation.
Unfortunately, I agree. The paint on brick looks atrocious, whereas before at least the stucco provided an even coverage.
intervention no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #2160
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
In addition to the post #1969.

Statements at the Process of Warsaw - made by 126 witnesses from all levels of Polish society at a hearing convened at Pope Benedict XII's request and held in Warsaw from February 4 to September 15, 1339. During the session, Polish citizens were asked to testify about the devastation done to Poland by the Teutonic Knights. The judges concluded that eastern Pomerania (see: Treaty of Kepno), Chelmno and Michalow lands should all be returned to Poland and that the Teutonic Knights should make a large indemnity payment.

"Liber et Regestrum Regni et Regis polonie valde vtite et necessarium regno. In quo continentur acta et attestaciones excellencium et insignium personarum, omni eoeceptione maiorum, probancium et dcclarantium, quod Terre pomeranie, Chelmen et michalouien spectant et pertinent, spectare pertinerequc debent ad proprietatem ius et corpus regni polonie Continetur eciam sententia diffinitiuu per Judices apostolicos videlicet Balhardam de Carceribus Titulen prepositum, Coloczen diuecesis et petrum Geruasy Canonicum Aniczien: per Benedictum papam duodecimum specialiter delegatos, lata indiciatiter, que, nulla appellacioine suspensa, in rem transiuit iudicatam, que appropriat et adiudicat terras prefatas regi et regno Polonie et declarat Magislrum et ordinem Prussie in dietis lerris nullum ius habuisse nec habere posse."

Source
Some statements translated into English:

Lites I (2), 95:
"[Casimir III the Great] intends to prove that the duchy and land of Pomerania with all the territories and districts situated and located within it, namely Gdańsk, Świecie, Słupsk, Tczew, Starogard, and Gniew, and also the other towns, castles and villages located within the duchy of Pomerania, is situated within the aforesaid Kingdom of Poland and has belonged to the same kingdom since antiquity, and that this is notorious."
"[Casimir III the Great] intendit, quod ducatus et terra Pomoranie cum omnibus territoriis et districtibus sitis et locatis infra ipsum, scilicet Gdansk, Swecze, Slupsk, Tharszow, Stalgart, Meva necnon aliis opidis, castris et villis infra ducatum Pomoranie constitutis, sunt site infra regnum predictum Polonie et ad ipsum regnum pertinent ab antiquo, et quod hoc est notorium."

Lites I (2), 163:
"there is one and the same language in Poland and Pomerania because all the people living in [Pomerania] commonly speak Polish (...) the land or duchy of Pomerania is of the Kingdom of Poland and within the kingdom, and there is common knowledge about the aforesaid among both the indigenous people and the Germans and other foreigners living within the Kingdom of Poland and beyond"
"Dixit eciam, quod una et eadem lingua est in Pomorania et Polonia, quia omnes homines communiter habitantes in ea locuntur polonicum (...) terra et ducatus Pomoranie est de regno Polonie et infra regnum, et est vox et fama publica de predictis tam inter indigenas quam inter Alamannos et alios alienigenas habitantes intra regnum Polonie et extra"

Lites I (2), 211:
"[Duke Mściwój] of the people of the princes of Poland"
"[dux Mistiwoyus] de gente principum de Polonia"

Lites I (2), 216:
"[Starosta of Sieradz] heard from his parents and elders that the princes and dukes who were in that land were Poles and lived under the King of Poland"
"[Starosta of Sieradz] audivit a parentibus et senioribus suis, quod principes et duces, qui fuerunt in illa terra, fuerunt Poloni et sub rege Polonie consistebant"

Lites I (2), 271:
"the people of that land of Dobrzyn speak Polish, just as in a land that is of the Kingdom of Poland and within the same kingdom"
"gentes illius terre Dobrinensis locuntur polonicum, sicut in terra, que est de regno Polonie et infra ipsum regnum"

Lites I (2), 291:
"there are and always have been Poles in the land of Pomerania"
"in dicta terra Pomoranie sunt et fuerunt semper Poloni"

Lites I (2), 338:
"[Duke Mściwój] in language, customs, and laws thought of himself as a Pole and of the Kingdom of Poland and within the same kingdom"
"[dux Mistiwoyus] ui lingua et moribus ac legibus se tenebat tamquam Polonus et semper de regno Polonie et infra ipsum regnum"

Lites I (2), 367:
"[Archbishop Janisław of Gniezno]: always from antiquity, about which memory of men to the contrary does not exist, the said land of Pomerania belongs and has belonged to the Kingdom of Poland, and it is within that kingdom and possessed by princes of Poland."
"[Archbishop Janisław of Gniezno]: semper ab antiquo, de quo memoria hominum in contrarium non existit, dicta terra Pomoranie pertinet et pertinuit ad regnum Polonie et est infra ipsum regnum et per principes Polonie possessa."

Lites I (2), 404:
"[Miecław of Konecko] heard from his many elders and progenitors that the aforesaid land of Pomerania always is and was from ancient times, of which memory of men does not exist to the contrary, of the Kingdom of Poland and located within the boundaries of the Kingdom of Poland, and the witness who is speaking as a youth was in the aforesaid land of Pomerania and saw that all the inhabitants were Poles and that they held themselves to be of the Kingdom of Poland"
"[Miecław of Konecko] audivit a multis senioribus et progenitoribus suis, quod predicta terra Pomoranie semper est et fuit ab antiquo tempore, de cuius contrario hominum memoria non existit, de regno Polonie et infra metas regni Polonie constituta et ipse testis qui loquitur, existens iuvenis fuit in predicta terra Pomoranie et vidit quod omnes habitantes erant Poloni et quod se tenebant de regno Polonie"

About Chelmno land:
"Pan Gunter, kanclerz pana księcia mazowieckiego Trojdena i pleban kościoła w Tarczynie […] zeznał, że […] słyszał od rodziców swoich i od przodków swoich, co i dotychczas się mówi, że ojciec pana Władysława, niegdyś króla polskiego, ojca tegoż pana Kazimierza, obecnie króla polskiego, rzeczoną Ziemię Chełmińską posiadał i dzierżył jako ojcowiznę spokojnie i bezpiecznie, lecz przekazał i nadał ową Ziemię Chełmińską na lat dwadzieścia mistrzowi i braciom, którzy wówczas żyli, Szpitala Niemieckiego Marii Panny w Prusach dla podboju niewiernych i nieprzyjaciół wiary chrześcijańskiej, mianowicie Prusów […]; po upływie zaś owych dwudziestu lat winni byli bracia owi rzeczoną Ziemię Chełmińską zwrócić temuż panu, księciu owej Ziemi Chełmińskiej, który im tę ziemię nadał, albo jego dziedzicom, czego odmówili uczynić i dotąd odmawiają […]. Zapytany, czy głosi wieść powszechna, że owa Ziemia Chełmińska […] leży w Królestwie Polskim oraz że władcy polscy ją posiadali i należy [ona] do owego Królestwa Polskiego, zeznał, że tak i jest to ogólnie wiadome, ponieważ dotąd mówią [o tym] powszechnie ludzie w Królestwie Polskim i krajach sąsiednich […]. Zapytany, czy ową Ziemię Chełmińską w czasie, gdy przekazana została Krzyżakom, zamieszkiwali Polacy, zeznał, że tak, bowiem [tak] słyszał, i dotąd są [tam] w wielkiej części.

[…]

Pan Leszek, książę inowrocławski, piśmienny i rycerz, świadek wezwany, przybyły, zaprzysiężony i pilnie przesłuchany pojedynczo i z osobna co do artykułów danych ze strony pana króla polskiego przeciw mistrzowi, komturom i braciom Krzyżakom pruskim […] zeznał, że książę Konrad, pan owej Ziemi Chełmińskiej, odstąpił ją czasowo rzeczonym Krzyżakom, którzy wówczas żyli, na podbój Prusów i Litwinów, którzy mieszkali za rzeką Osą, po ich zaś pobiciu winni byli zwrócić rzeczoną Ziemię Chełmińską temuż księciu Konradowi albo jego następcy. Zeznał także, że on sam widział i czytał przywilej, który wydany został w sprawie nadania owej Ziemi Chełmińskiej, opieczętowany pieczęcią wielkiego mistrza, który żył wówczas i zwał się „Papo”. Zeznał także, że wiele razy widział i trzymał rzeczony przywilej. Zeznał również, że książę Bolesław, stryj jego z Mazowsza, pokazywał mu ów przywilej, aby pamiętał, że oni mieli prawo do rzeczonej Ziemi Chełmińskiej aż do rzeki Osy, i jeśliby nie mogli jej odzyskać, niech to pamiętają nawet po jego śmierci, aby ją odzyskali, jeśli będą mogli. Zapytany, jak dawno widział i trzymał ów przywilej, odpowiedział, że zaledwie minęło dwadzieścia lat, i wieść powszechna głosi o powyższym […]."

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; July 6th, 2016 at 09:34 PM.

Tags
königsberg, polska