daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #1041
KonstantinasŠirvydas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1110

So usual Polish complexes.

This time about Kant.
Well, glad, that not about German Kopernikus.
KonstantinasŠirvydas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #1042
KonstantinasŠirvydas
BANNED

Quote:
The importance of the Lithuanian language was recognized also by greatest philosopher of modern times, Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), who was born in Prussian Lithuania and had a thorough knowledge of the Lithuanian language. In his preface to a Lithuanian and German Dictionary, he wrote that the Lithuanian language deserved the protection of the state. His comment on the Lithuanian language has a great historical significance, because his comment is authoritative and reliable. He was not only a philosopher, but also linguist. He comments on the Lithuanian language as follows:

"As a matter of fact, no other language in the world has received such praise as the Lithuanian language. The garlands of high honor have been taken to Lithuanian people for inventing, elaborating, and introducing the most highly developed human speech with its beautiful and clear phonology. Moreover, according to comparative philology, the Lithuanian language is best qualified to represent the primitive Aryan civilization and culture".
This great philosopher does look like president of Russia in this drawing.

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~sta...ius/puti_D.htm
Quote:
Nerija Putinaitė
Kant und Donelaitis über den litauischen Volkscharakter
Well, Kant is Human heritage anyway. As well as Lithuanian language

Highcliff liked this post
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1043
Don Vito KurDeBalanz
zdradziecka morda

Likes (Received): 18931

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonstantinasŠirvydas View Post

This time about Kant.
Pathetic comment as usual mr. Vilnius Guide. Try harder.

Rombi, smugler, Highcliff, Bulanek liked this post
Don Vito KurDeBalanz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1044
Depeched

Likes (Received): 1090

very interesting about Kant , clear about that he knew and could talk in Lithuanian, because he lived in Memelland, but from where this info about his Lithuanian roots?

Depeched no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1045
KonstantinasŠirvydas
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito KurDeBalanz View Post
Pathetic comment as usual mr. Vilnius Guide. Try harder.
Standard Polish trolling like this one and stupid "arguments" against the facts, quoted scholars and historical data, Mr. banned ja.centy.
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1046
Prosp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 348

Once Joseph Ehret (later H.Mortensen) noticed that he knew lithuanian. Why he had a specific respect to lithuanian language - difficult to understand. Particularly taking into account the whole cultural situation and background in East Prussia. Plus, it was absolutely different and very difficult language....Maybe professional interests?
Well, surname Kant-as (Kantas, Kintas, Kantmantas etc., compare to Komantas, Skomantas) is very common in the seaside of Lithuania, also in Latvia (roots - curronian/samogitian, actually half of samogitians have curronian blood, maybe this why they always were fcuing stubborn and radical). There were written that R.Kant, after his wife death, used "tolku", i.e person-translator , when he made a testimony/will to german speaking pastor.
Maybe it is truth, who knows...
Prosp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1047
Don Vito KurDeBalanz
zdradziecka morda

Likes (Received): 18931

Quote:
Standard Polish trolling like this one and stupid "arguments" against the facts, quoted scholars and historical data, Mr. banned ja.centy.
You must have messed me up with somebody else Vilnius. Regarding your "facts" - those are some kind of jigsaw puzzle too often. Problem is there is too many missing pieces in your "historical data' (or perhaps I should say histerical?).
It is therefore vital that you put the pieces in the right place and manage the process in a harmonious and peaceful way.
Can you do that? Sorry for that rethorical question. Your hatery is keeping you blind and deaf. Best regards, I'm outta here.

keepthepast, Highcliff liked this post
Don Vito KurDeBalanz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #1048
Puritan

Likes (Received): 1616

Quote:
Your only source is 42 year old docent from insignificant Lietuvos edukologijos universitetas ...

Quote:
Rather it’s Your German/Polish/Russian/Latvian/Belorussian complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depeched View Post
very interesting about Kant , clear about that he knew and could talk in Lithuanian, because he lived in Memelland, but from where this info about his Lithuanian roots?
As far I know I.Kant lived in Königsberg his whole life – back then city was predominantly German-speaking. Memelland was located ca. 90 km from his hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosp View Post
Well, surname Kant-as (Kantas, Kintas, Kantmantas etc., compare to Komantas, Skomantas) is very common in the seaside of Lithuania, also in Latvia (roots - curronian/samogitian, actually half of samogitians have curronian blood, maybe this why they always were fcuing stubborn and radical). There were written that R.Kant, after his wife death, used "tolku", i.e person-translator , when he made a testimony/will to german speaking pastor.
Maybe it is truth, who knows...
Cant surname emerged among people of Flanders ---> Flemish migrants settled in Britain ---> Kant's paternal grandfather Richard Cant had emigrated from Scotland to East Prussia in 17th century ---> mystery solved

Btw. Surname Cant is name for a cantor + this surname is derived from Old Norman French word "cant" or "chant" – which means singing. In German and Polish, word “Kantor” means chief singer.

To calm the emotions:

Lutry/Luthen village, founded in 1333

author: Andrzej Grabowski
http://mojemazury.pl/

katsuma, smugler, Highcliff liked this post
Puritan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #1049
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7413

Quote:
Cant surname emerged among people of Flanders ---> Flemish migrants settled in Britain ---> Kant's paternal grandfather Richard Cant had emigrated from Scotland to East Prussia in 17th century ---> mystery solved
That is just not true or at least very implausible as I wrote before. There were many scottish traders in Königsberg and Kant's great-Aunte Sophie Kant married a Scot named Balzer Nott. Also, there was a Scot named David Kant whos daughter married 1731 in "Jutschen", a village between Insterburg and Gumbinnen. The same village where Kant worked as a supplementary Schoolmaster (Hilfs-Schulmeister in german) 20 years later. Kant may have heard about this family during his time there and thought they could be fare relatives. But there is no proof for that.

By the way the word "Kant" or "Kante" is very common in german language and "Kantor" comes from Latin cantare - to sing and cantor - singer. Nothing to to with old Norman french.

Last edited by Saxonia; June 20th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1050
Puritan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxonia View Post
By the way the word "Kant" or "Kante" is very common in german language and "Kantor" comes from Latin cantare - to sing and cantor - singer. Nothing to to with old Norman french.
Old Norman French was one of many langues d'oïl dialects related to Latin.
Word "chant" comes from Latin cantus - cantare.

smugler, Highcliff liked this post
Puritan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1051
Prosp
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritan View Post
Your only source is 42 year old docent from insignificant Lietuvos edukologijos universitetas ...

Rather it’s Your German/Polish/Russian/Latvian/Belorussian complex.

As far I know I.Kant lived in Königsberg his whole life – back then city was predominantly German-speaking. Memelland was located ca. 90 km from his hometown.

Btw. Surname Cant is name for a cantor + this surname is derived from Old Norman French word "cant" or "chant" – which means singing. In German and Polish, word “Kantor” means chief singer.
Well, since XIX his bio attracts more attention and doubts. German scholar Johannes Sembritzk was the first who porposed that Kant is half lithuanian, later - in XX cent. - this version was affirmed by Hans and Gertrud Mortensen.
As i have said, Kant- is also quite popular/common surname amongst people, living near seaside. Hans and Gertrud Mortensen states the same, actually they proposed that Kant's family came from village, called Kantwein (Kantvainiai) and they spoke in similar to lithuanian dialect language (kuršininkų dialect probably)

If you have a different opinion, you can try to deny above-mentioned scholars competence.

KonstantinasŠirvydas, Highcliff liked this post
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1052
veresk

Likes (Received): 2859

3 castles within the territory of the Kaliningrad region are awaiting the restoration:
Brandenburg

Neuhausen

Schaaken

The restoration is about to begin in the nearest future.
The situation concerning the Balga castle is uncertain but there are some serious negotiations about it.

veresk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1053
katsuma
BANNED

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:

This time about Kant.
Is your second name Donkey?

Where you saw any attempts of the Polish forumers to appropriate Immanuel Kant to "our sphere", is beyond my comprehension. But I'm not quite eager to comprehend your twisted ego anyway...
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1054
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by veresk View Post
3 castles within the territory of the Kaliningrad region are awaiting the restoration:

The restoration is about to begin in the nearest future.
The situation concerning the Balga castle is uncertain but there are some serious negotiations about it.
Excellent news Could you please remind me the Russian name of these villages, so that I can find it at google.maps? Thank you.

Except from Balga, I know where it is
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1055
veresk

Likes (Received): 2859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Excellent news Could you please remind me the Russian name of these villages, so that I can find it at google.maps? Thank you.

Except from Balga, I know where it is
Sure
Brandenburg castle: Ushakovo settlement (поселок Ушаково)
Schaaken castle: Nekrasovo settlement, Gurievsk rayon (Некрасово, Гурьевский район)
Neuhausen castle: Gurievsk (Гурьевск)

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, Highcliff liked this post
veresk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #1056
Puritan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosp View Post
If you have a different opinion, you can try to deny above-mentioned scholars competence.
Most scientists from around the world agree that I.Kant had German roots and was a German philosopher.

Thomas A.Fisher and several other scientists ( for example from California state univ.) support not entirely clear "Scotish version."

It seems that only minority of scientists, including Soviet linguists V. Toporov, Nepokupn + Sembritzk, Hans and Gertrud Mortensen have the opposite opinion.

EOT

Windmill in Stara Różanka/Alt Rosenthal (1873), Poland

author: Gliwi
Old June 20th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #1057
Prosp
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritan View Post
Most scientists from around the world agree that I.Kant had German roots and was a German philosopher.

Thomas A.Fisher and several other scientists ( for example from California state univ.) support not entirely clear "Scotish version."

It seems that only minority of scientists, including Soviet linguists V. Toporov, Nepokupn + Sembritzk, Hans and Gertrud Mortensen have the opposite opinion.

i
Fact that there are doubt about Kant's roots. I think that the main concern regarding Kant was his knowledge of lithuanian language (or maybe some dialects). Here we face with some problems - understanding the cultural and political background of East Prussia (as a pro-german)- the reason why he made some attempts to protect this language become essential. On the other hand, we can not ignore the fact Kant's strong understanding of this language.
V. Toporov by the way was a leading and one of the most important scientist in the field of indo-european traditions/languages. Baltic language here are the basic language.
"not entirely Scotish version". Perhaps because of some misleading facts about his greatgrandfather(s) and their "settlement" in Prussia.
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:16 AM   #1058
KonstantinasŠirvydas
BANNED

Prosp, these people just do have complexes.
For them, Kopernik, who never knew Polish nor was Pole, is without any doubt Pole (Kopernik belonged to Polish king, they say ), but when they hear some scholars present different point of view, based on some sources, they ATTACK. The same here with Kant.

I presented these sources and scholars. Problem? Well, maybe. For people, who do have some mysterious complexes. But no need to attack. Or is there any? My suggestion is: just chill out, angry Poles. Nice summer, long, warm days, etc. Or do these scholars somehow, in a mysterious way, offend You?
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:28 AM   #1059
KonstantinasŠirvydas
BANNED

Fine German man, very respected in Lithuania - Georg Sauerwein.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Sauerwein
Quote:
As an acknowledged pacifist, Sauerwein was involved in opposition to what he perceived as the imperialism of German Empire Germany under the Kaiser. He was a supporter of the minority languages within the German Empire: Sorbian in Lusatia and Lithuanian in East Prussia.

He stayed frequently in Spreewald near Berlin and in Memel (Klaipėda) and Tilsit, where he stood forth as poet, public orator and politician. He ran as a candidate for the Prussian Diet four times and once for the Parliament of Germany, but was never elected. He was accused of being in league both with the Welfish (separatist) and the Pan Slavonic cause; both considered by the governors to be a threat to German culture and identity. The authorities and the press charged him with unpatriotic activity. In vain he claimed to the contrary that he served his nation by trying to remove the very circumstance that nourished the Pan Slavonic movement — the suppression of minorities. If allowed to be left in peace with their own culture, they would stay as loyal citizens as the Germans themselves, he argued.

In accordance with the Romantic spirit, Sauerwein believed that poetry was rooted in popular tradition, and that a fresh literature could be based on the minority languages. His own poetry and songs are based on this idea, and he came to be among the pioneers of Lithuanian and Sorbian literature with the epic poem "Nemunyciai" (The Memel People, 1894) and "Serbske stucki" (Sorbian Songs, 1877). His poem Lietuvninkais mes esam' gime ("As Lithuanians we are born", 1879) is still popular in Lithuania as a national hymn.

During many years Sauerwein carried on his battle against what he termed German hyper nationalism, and this battle was mainly fought from Norway — a country that became his second homeland. He felt unsafe in Germany and described his sojourns in Norway as an exile of his own choice. Moreover, in Norway he had access to a free press and by the turn of the previous century he was often given space in Norwegian publications to reports of the conditions in Lithuania and Lusatia.
Sauerwein helped in establishing Lithuanian cultural organizations in Tilsit (Lith. Tilžė) and Memel (Klaipėda) in the second half of the 19th century.
Initially, this song by Sauerwein was proposed as an anthem of Lithuania. Now it is usually called "the second anthem" and the anthem of Minor Lithuania.

Highcliff, Atasas liked this post
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1060
Prosp
BANNED

Quote:
Prosp, these people just do have complexes.
For them, Kopernik, who never knew Polish nor was Pole, is without any doubt Pole (Kopernik belonged to Polish king, they say ), but when they hear some scholars present different point of view, based on some sources, they ATTACK. The same here with Kant.

I presented these sources and scholars. Problem? Well, maybe. For people, who do have some mysterious complexes. But no need to attack. Or is there any? My suggestion is: just chill out, angry Poles. Nice summer, long, warm days, etc. Or do these scholars somehow, in a mysterious way, offend You?
ok, we, northerners, can really chill out during f*cking warm summer days before rainy Midsummer/Dew Holiday
now let's get back to the thread

Last edited by Prosp; June 21st, 2013 at 01:39 AM.

Tags
königsberg, polska