daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #41
jack_jones

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores
I cannot see any images. Could you please post them within this thread?
jack_jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #42
danm

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_jones View Post
I cannot see any images. Could you please post them within this thread?
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/plp-r...37421.article#

PLP reveals images of its Bankside scheme
30 May 2012 | By Elizabeth Hopkirk

Eight buildings to replace two in South Bank redevelopment frenzy

PLP has revealed images of its plans to redevelop two prominent sites straddling Blackfriars Station on London’s South Bank.

The 93,000 sq m scheme is at an early stage but will comprise eight new buildings of which five could be high-rise residential towers with up to 750 flats.

It also proposes a “public” square, new pedestrian routes running parallel with the Thames, a waterside gallery building and the conversion of disused railways arches for retail use.

The development will replace two existing mid-rise buildings: Ludgate House, currently home to BD’s parent company UBM, and IBM’s brutalist Sampson House on the other side of the railway.

The new scheme will step up across the site from Rogers Stirk Harbour’s Neo Bankside to Ian Simpson’s One Blackfriars which is due to be built immediately south west of Blackfriars Bridge.

The first stage of the scheme will begin in 2015 when UBM has moved to its new AHMM-designed home one block to the south.
danm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #43
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 263

Thanks danm. What an improvement that would be.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #44
hifive605

Likes (Received): 34

5 towers! please let them be 150m+.... : )
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:21 PM   #45
Damarr

Likes (Received): 0

I know it's only a concept drawing, but the building in the first picture seems to butt against the station, which would nix adding a platform or two in the future. On the plus side, it looks like a fairly light-weight construction - it wouldn't be as painful to knock it down in 20 years as a skyscraper.

That last pic looks promising - there is a potentially great public space buried under the horrible Sampson House.
Damarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:41 PM   #46
hifive605

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damarr View Post
I know it's only a concept drawing, but the building in the first picture seems to butt against the station, which would nix adding a platform or two in the future. On the plus side, it looks like a fairly light-weight construction - it wouldn't be as painful to knock it down in 20 years as a skyscraper.

That last pic looks promising - there is a potentially great public space buried under the horrible Sampson House.
ever considered the possibility it might be something of quality that people would want to keep? wait - this is the London property market... what am I talking about
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM   #47
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 288

The thing is they have no reason to. They can't act on the vague idea it might be nice if there were a couple of extra platforms there. Unless someone is willing to put up some cash and buy the land or designate it as future railway land, so it would show up in a legal search, then they can ignore. Office buildings have been built and pulled down in less time than takes official plans to come to fruition.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM   #48
Damarr

The land for Herne Hill's grade separation is safeguarded. When that work is done (admittedly very unlikely to be within the next 20 years), they'll need an extra bay platform or two at Blackfriars to make use of the E&C corridor's potential as a proper metro route. It would just seem short-sighted not to safeguard the land, especially when the planned development is at its earliest stages and could be designed around a widened viaduct.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM   #49
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1726

Well I imagine that's what that pedestrian corridor parallel to the viaduct is for.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #50
lemmo

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
The land for Herne Hill's grade separation is safeguarded.
Any idea what land they have safeguarded? Any maps etc.?

Quote:
they'll need an extra bay platform or two at Blackfriars to make use of the E&C corridor's potential as a proper metro route. It would just seem short-sighted not to safeguard the land, especially when the planned development is at its earliest stages and could be designed around a widened viaduct.
I agree. But I haven't heard of TfL or Network Rail pitching in to safeguard the land, it's not mentioned in the RUS... Seems like another future-proofing blindspot, another strategic intervention that slips through the gaps because no-one is in charge or taking a lead...

lemmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #51
Damarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmo View Post
Any idea what land they have safeguarded? Any maps etc.?
No maps, I'm afraid, but someone who was in the know told me ages ago that the land was the NR maintenance depot and adjoining industrial site between the two lines just north of the station. That would suggest a smaller scheme than full blown grade separation - perhaps a fly-over for northbound Thameslink services, which might be the best that we'll ever get given how horribly expensive and difficult it would be to rebuild the station.

There was a plan for grade separation bandied about as an alternative to sending more Thameslink services through Borough Market; you can see it in this doc. It'd be pretty unpopular in the area as a lot of gardens, several shops and half a primary school would be lost, mainly for the benefit of commuters from Kent.
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #52
henry

Likes (Received): 3

Bankside Quarter | Southwark | 161m/108m/94m | 49/30/26 fl | Approved

Hi guys, not on here much these days, but i came across this and thought it was worth a thread.
Anyone who's ever walked along the south bank will know these buildings.
Looks like PLP architects have been given the task opening up the site and replacing the existing buildings with a collection of towers.
There are some early sketches online, and if they're anything like the final proposals then we're looking at something around the same height as the Beetham tower next door.

You can find out more here, and I've pasted a few of the more interesting images below http://www.ludgateandsampson.com/

henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #53
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Cheers, the scale of the development is much bigger that I could have hoped for. It will be great for Southbank to have Ludgate and Samson House replaced.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #54
potto

Likes (Received): 1936

I hate the cowering massing under the safety of the existing planning permission, inevitable though I guess
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #55
cnapan

Likes (Received): 124

It's hard to say anything about this proposal given the pictures are just a load of rectangles, but the two existing buildings offer nothing other than an irritating obstacle to people trying to move around this part of town, so if the development opens up pedestrian thoroughfares, then it'll be an improvement.

I was taking photos of Samson house last week. It displays an almost breathtaking contempt for humanity, and it's no surprise that (at vast expense) this building is going to be destroyed. Don't expect many people to shed a tear.
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #56
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1862

Its not just this building that displays contempt for humanity its entire riverfront!
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #57
cnapan

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Its not just this building that displays contempt for humanity its entire riverfront!
Indeed! Look across the river for perhaps the worst building on the river - the one with the underpass under it.

One day, its time will come. Let's hope it's soon. Imagine the north bank being properly opened up to humanity again...
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #58
henry

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
I hate the cowering massing under the safety of the existing planning permission, inevitable though I guess
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Post Shard I'd like to see a developer pick a fight over sight-lines. Perhaps a bit of olympic optimism might have rubbed off on Westminster council and EH. Who am i kidding.
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #59
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

I'm a little concerned about a growing number of skyscrapers that are on the river front, It'd be nice to have some low rise elements infront of the towers to keep things tidy (I think). Plus I actually like that building (the non-brute one, is that Ludgate?) and thought it'd (eventually) work well sitting next to the Beetham tower.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #60
vank
Near Bruges

Hope this tower will look better than Blackfriars Road Tower/Beetham. :P
3) Bruges, Belgium (view summary)
vank no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: