daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #21
mikhelee

Likes (Received): 0

“If you have enough money, I'm sure the human mind can create a lot higher,” said Timothy Johnson, chairman of the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, widely recognized as the world's arbiter of tallest structures.
mikhelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #22
mikhelee

at first i was thinking.. hmmm, ok.. where is this going.. then right as the video ended, and i got the chills.
mikhelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #23
manumau5
Skyscrapers Seeker

Likes (Received): 3

This is an interesting thread. But there are some ideas that some people have and I think they're not accurate. For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur2012 arthur20 View Post
In the future there will be many floating cities,I think.If the land area can no longer support the increasing number of people.It would be exciting!
World population will increase untill 2060 aproximately. 9 to 11 billion people, more or less, and then, it would slowly begin to go down. I think that Earth has enough land surface to place all that people. Furthermore, it is incresing faster in Africa and Asia, two big continents. There are some specific problems, as we can see with Tokyo, or other cities that have no more space on their surroundings. But that's not the general case.
So I think that only for specific issues with space and some kind of "we want to surprise the entire world" project (like Dubai or some chinese speed-growing city) the floating cities will not be so common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Deegan View Post
You bring up some very goods points. Don't think there is a place on Earth that doesn't lie within a current (though this might be incorrect?)

Suppose the whole city could be built on a single platform tethered to the bottom of an ocean. That should somewhat mitigate the problem of large structures bumping against each other every time there is a wave.

Energy supply? Rooftop solar, wind, or deep ocean mining. Or some combination of those three.
I'm not sure about a place which is not lying within a current (at least in oceans). Marine currents are transportating huge amounts of water through all oceans depending on water mass density and temperature. It happens everywhere in the ocean. Then you have some thin layers of water like Northern Sea, which deepest point is only about 100 metres under sea level. (In those areas we can expect less currents, but it also depends on wind, etc.)

And the idea of the platform tethered to the bottom of an ocean can solve those problems you say, but is very dangerous if there is a marine earthquake (?) ("maremoto" in Spanish), like the one from Sumatra in 2004. The quake could damage the pillar.

About the energy supply, I think it would be fine with solar and wave power, but of course it depends on how big and how many facilities would that floating city have.
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #24
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 3991

World's first "true" floating airport?

An alien metropolis or the solution to London's transport problems? Architects unveil futuristic plans for 'Boris Island' airport in Thames Estuary

[IMG]http://i48.************/2e1hfn7.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
It looks like an alien mothership - but it could be London's new airport.

That's according to a major global architecture firm who have unveiled their vision for a 'Boris Island' airport in the Thames Estuary.

The London Britannia Airport, designed by architects Gensler, includes four floating runways tethered to the sea bed.

Gensler says new runways could be floated in as required - allowing for future expansion to accommodate six landing strips.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM   #25
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I don't think floating cities will be needed for a long, long time. People keep saying that Earth is experiencing overpopulation, but I think we are far from it land-wise. If 15% of the world's population can live off the coast of China, we won't run out of land space for at least one thousand years, if Earth is still around. A lack of natural resources will result from overpopulation far before a lack of space.

But as far as floating cities go, I love them. If there's one thing I can almost like as much as skyscraper cities, it's floating cities. Venice is fabulous. One reason I love New ork so much is all of the water. From my top 10 skylines, only one isn't on the water: Kuala Lumpur. To me, water provides a sense of order to a skyline, and keeps things in perspective.That's why I don't like cities like Guangzhou and Shenzhen much. Water can make or break a skyline.

Denjiro liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:54 AM   #26
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Don't think floating cities will be built because there is no more terrestrial land available but to get independent of other countries. On a floating city people can have their own political system, own taxes and can govern for themselves. Also the 200 mile zone around floating cities can be used for fishing and raw material exploitation (not sure what the current international marine laws say to this though).

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 12:14 AM   #27
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 3991

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
If 15% of the world's population can live off the coast of China, we won't run out of land space for at least one thousand

True. It won't be comfortable, but all of world's population could fit on a parcel half the size of Texas.

However, large floating platforms of the future could still have certain specialized purposes. For example, they could be utilized for research purposes (e.g. human cloning) or hydroponic farming in locations where food supply is limited for any number of reasons.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 10:28 PM   #28
CanadianDemon

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Deegan View Post
True. It won't be comfortable, but all of world's population could fit on a parcel half the size of Texas.

However, large floating platforms of the future could still have certain specialized purposes. For example, they could be utilized for research purposes (e.g. human cloning) or hydroponic farming in locations where food supply is limited for any number of reasons.
Shoulder to shoulder we'd fit in the city of Los Angeles.
Old October 4th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #29
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

I think seasteading is a great idea. Some people see it as alterntive to creating the perfect utopia. I don't know if any of you guys have heard of The Seasteading institude, but if you haven't, what they do is of great interest.

Here's their link link if anyone wants to read about them:
http://www.seasteading.org/

An a video about them from their site:

Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #30
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Well, I am working on a concept for a floating city. It is a very interesting idea, as it requires ot only new technological solutions but also offers unseen possibilities in city AND society design.

A simple, yet amazing example: everybody knows that the sun never shines from north. But that doesn't have to be true for a floating city. It could rotate once a day (or even more often) and provide any direction with direct sunlight. Even the north.

Here you can see its progress:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...7#post85120697

I need to update it anytime soon though.
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #31
aman747

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blond Guy View Post

Venice

image hosted on flickr

Floating houses in The Netherlands

Really these cities are looking very good.
Thanks for sharing the pics of these cities.
nice sharing here
aman747 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #32
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
No. Venice looks like just a pain in the ass of a city to live in despite being so beautiful. I don't like to walk over bridges every couple of blocks or have to ride a boat/ferry to get somewhere.
I wouldn't like to have to drive my car for miles through alienating residential blocks either. Living in Venice is not nice, but not because of its car-free environment.
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #33
lepi bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike____ View Post
These concepts would be cool...

GREAT!
lepi bane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #34
megacity30

Likes (Received): 47

The incredible man-made floating city neighbourhoods of Palm Islands, the World and the Universe in Dubai:

wiki source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_universe.jpg

[IMG]http://www.*****************/gallery/palm-island-dubai.jpg[/IMG]
source: http://www.*****************/gallery/...land-dubai.jpg

Last edited by megacity30; October 20th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
megacity30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #35
megacity30

Likes (Received): 47

The exclusive floating neighbourhood of Balboa Island in Newport Beach, Orange County (urban extension of Los Angeles), USA:

source: http://www.realestatephotosvideos.co...dbdsf&lb=1&s=A

wiki source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...amey_Logan.JPG

Last edited by megacity30; October 20th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
megacity30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #36
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

nice city in maldives.....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:11 PM   #37
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacity30 View Post
The incredible man-made floating city neighbourhoods of Palm Islands, the World and the Universe in Dubai:

These are not floating cities, but built on reclaimed land.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #38
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Floating pavilion with expo center in Rotterdam:

source: http://www.kennislink.nl/publicaties...trum-rotterdam

own pics:
[IMG]http://i46.************/111qr7m.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.************/4ktbh5.jpg[/IMG]
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #39
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
These are not floating cities, but built on reclaimed land.
They are islands just like the Maldives; the only difference being Maldives was naturally created and these were artificially created.

Both the Maldives and the World are not really drifting, like a ship in the open sea. If one is accepted, why not the other?
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM   #40
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Well, 90% of the examples in the thread are no floating citys, but just cities build on land near water. That is actually nothing too special..
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
maldives, skyscrapercity