daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Closed Thread

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #121
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 867

Indeed, this development is far more damaging than the Shard or any other tall building. EH have lost sight of what their Inner London priorities should really be.
ill tonkso está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #122
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 253

Personally I think EH should have no role in planning, other than in representing the interests of historic buildings which it owns (and which it looks after in an exemplary fashion). Time and again it has shown itself to be clueless about planning, attempting to block excellent buildings simply because they're tall, and waving through dreadful mistakes (e.g. Unilever House extension) because they're not tall.

The Leicester Sq building is a case - not unusual, I think - where a decent old building can be given a new lease of life but only by sacrificing quite a lot of its aesthetic integrity. I'm sure that new roof, for example, is far more functional than the old one and contains far better space, and I can easily believe the old one is falling apart. But the old one suits the building, and the new one clearly doesn't.

Better to spoil the building's looks (to some extent, over which we'd all have differing opinions) to prolong its life, or better to knock it down and start again? I certainly can't answer that objectively.
Officer Dibble no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #123
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1803

If only things like aesthetics still mattered to todays architecture...
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #124
The Champ

Likes (Received): 153

Admiralty Arch to become hotel?

http://news.sky.com/story/1002168/mi...admiralty-arch
"The public suddenly saw him in a new light, the two-handed fighter who stormed forward, a flame of pure fire in the ring, strong, native, affable, easy of speech, close to the people in word and deed and feeling."
The Champ no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #125
pagey17

Likes (Received): 3

Good idea its awful on the inside it looks like a civil service hellhole. Just as long as it keeps with the aesthetics of the area.
pagey17 no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #126
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2742

well the government expects to get only £60 million from the sale of admiralty arch which is pretty pathetic actually. that's a lease worth only £600,000 a year for what is effectively two blocks on the mall. a single flat at one hyde park costs more - http://www.primelocation.com/for-sal...5e0f0a946dc972

average commercial rents in the area for an unfitted building are over £100 per square foot now.
gothicform no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #127
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

£600000*70 years = £42 million.

Not too far off the mark.

The flats in One Hyde Park are freehold and don't require massive internal renovation, so not really a great direct comparison.
Core Rising no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #128
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 1938

seriously there has got to be some graft going on here between EH and the developers.

I don't get how this kind of thing can happen. The building is completely bland now.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #129
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post

Before:

After:

The windows in the old roof also echo the turrets of the buildings on the street - it gives a complexity and ornateness to the built environment.Also
note the eastern facade is stripped of its architectural features and more resembles a pomo office block with ubiquitous plate glass windows. What
we have instead is a watered down version - the remaining old buildings becoming increasingly islanded (bear in mind the squat glass box of the W
hotel is opposite), as with just about everywhere in London.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #130
delores

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey17 View Post
Good idea its awful on the inside it looks like a civil service hellhole. Just as long as it keeps with the aesthetics of the area.
nice idea, just one problem Buckingham palace, it could be a huge security risk having a hotel there.
delores no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #131
mouldss@hotmail.co.u
moulds

Likes (Received): 20

It gets worse these fine bronze shop fronts are going as well, I am sorry there are no excuses.

Leicester Sq building
mouldss@hotmail.co.u no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #132
delores

Likes (Received): 171

So basically Make architects are now going to butcher a much loved building in London because they think with EH that details are not pure to the original intent of the architecture and not important. So they add a god awful roof remove the detailing that makes this building special and dumb it down. EH again showing their utter stupidity and arrogance in what they think is right. Make architects seems intent in designing out the history of Leicester square with this and the cinema next door I'm really still trying to understand why they get so much work?
delores no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #133
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 100

EH is useless and may as well not exist.
Pennypacker no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #134
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 1840

LS is full of ugly buildings, YET they want to destroy the most beautiful building there.
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #135
SparksTO

Likes (Received): 0

In my opinion, it is an improvement. All the area makes me wish so badly for a ban on gums in London, this area is discounting whit all those gums on the sidewalk and the pavement.

Last edited by SparksTO; October 29th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
SparksTO no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #136
jamiefearon

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparksTO View Post
In my opinion, it is an improvement. All the area makes me wish so badly for a ban on guns in London, this area is discounting whit all those guns on the sidewalk and the pavement.
Guns? What you talking about?
jamiefearon no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #137
Pants1254

Likes (Received): 67

Hello all im new to skyscrapercity but iv been looking at this website every days for the last few years and only just decided to join in, add to the conversations and my opinions and looking forward to it.

Iam a graduate of Architectural Technology and am in the process of producing my own 3d image of London on sketchup and will add building to it upon their completion will try to share images if anyone is intrested, buildings are only in basic white 3d form but shows their shape size and how they interact with surrounding buildings.

Happy to be hear.
Pants1254 no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #138
jamiefearon

Welcome Pants1254. It's interesting your making 3d buildings of Londons buildings. I'm currently making an HTML 5 Isometric graphics engine and hope in the future to make an online 3d isometric map of London, maybe our paths will cross in the future, as I'm not very good at graphic art.
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #139
Pants1254

Likes (Received): 67

Thank you jamiefearon, yours sound very intresting too im only using sketchup very basic but im hoping it will be enought just to show people a 3d model of London. See im not very technicaly minded but Im ok with the graphic art side, maybe our paths will cross with this maybe able to help out each other in the future will look forward to seeing your work sounds very intresting
Pants1254 no está en línea  
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #140
jamiefearon

Thanks Pants1254, will let you know when I have a beta up-and-running.

Closed Thread

Tags
development summary

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: