daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #181
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some iced green tea and kuzumochi to finish off a lazy Sunday afternoon…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #182
quashlo

The green roof on the recently rebuilt California Academy of Sciences (Renzo Piano, 2008):

image hosted on flickr

Some parting shots of the de Young (Herzog & de Meuron, 2005):

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #183
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26031

I really really love that city!!
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #184
quashlo

Sutro Heights Park and Sutro Baths

This was the last weekend of real sunshine... Been rainy off and on since.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #185
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #186
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #187
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #188
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #189
quashlo

Muni Centennial Streetcar Festival
2012.11.04 and 2012.11.11

San Francisco Municipal Railway, the local transit service operated by the City and County of San Francisco, was established in 1912 as the first publicly-operated big-city public transit system in the U.S. The official 100th birthday is on December 28, but the festivities were held in November of this year. The centerpiece of the events was the Centennial Streetcar Festival, showcasing some of the more unusual pieces in the historic streetcar fleet used on the F Market & Wharves service. Enjoy.

Milan “Peter Witt” Car 1856, ex Azienda Trasporti Milanesi (ATM) 1556, built 1928
These ex-Milan cars are pretty much regulars in everyday service on the F.

image hosted on flickr

Blackpool “Boat” Car 228 (ex Blackpool Tramways), built 1934
One of my favorites for riding… Got a great “tooting” whistle like a boat, and they light it up at night.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Car 1 (San Francisco Municipal Railway), built 1912
The rooftop box sign is for the A Geary, the first streetcar line in the Muni network, opened on the system’s first day in 1912.

image hosted on flickr

Muni Torpedo Car 1008, built 1948, “Wings” livery. This was part of Muni’s first order of “true” Presidents’ Conference Committee (PCC) streetcars.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by quashlo; December 24th, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #190
quashlo

I had ridden all of these cars multiple times on previous occasions, so I wasn’t especially interested in them. A good railfan always plans his itinerary out, and despite Muni’s erratic scheduling, my eyes were set on this gem… Car 578S (ex Market Street Railway (MSRy) 578), built 1896 for the original MSRy and eventually finding its way into Muni’s hands after passing into the ownership of the United Railroads and, later, the second Market Street Railway before the latter went out of business. As perhaps one of the oldest trams still in active service anywhere in the world, this car is virtually never out in regular revenue service… The only realistic chance to ride it is on charters—and during the Streetcar Festival.

image hosted on flickr

The overall design is reminiscent of the fleet of the other major element of Muni’s historic transit operations—the more famous cable cars—right down to the running boards. This car was originally built by Hammond Car Company, which would also go on to build the cable cars on the California Street line.

image hosted on flickr

Even the painted destination signs on the car are windows into the past… The grand Southern Pacific Railway (SP)—perhaps most famous for its intercity passenger services in the Sunset Limited (still survives as a named service today operated by Amtrak) and the Coast Daylight, locomotives in a striking black, burnt orange, and fire red “Daylight” paint scheme—is no more, having been acquired by the Union Pacific... SP’s San Francisco depot was located at what is now Caltrain’s San Francisco terminus at 4th and King Streets after the SP’s Peninsula commute service was taken under public ownership and operation. SP’s original headquarters are located less than 100 m from where this photo was taken, at One Market at the foot of Market Street. Also interesting to note is the old spelling of Devisadero Street (now universally Divisadero).

image hosted on flickr

The interior is also reminiscent of the better-known cable cars, down to the window handlebars, clerestory roof, and screw-in bulb lighting.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #191
quashlo

The other main catch for me at the festival was Muni “Iron Monster” Car 162, built 1914. Originally stored after retirement at the Orange Empire Railway Museum down south in Riverside, Muni acquired this car in 2003 and restored it for revenue service with 1950s “Wings” livery. I’d ridden its sister car, Car 130, many, many times, but this is the first time I got a chance to see Car 162 in service and ride it.

image hosted on flickr

Next to PCC Car 1075, ex Twin City Rapid Transit Co. (Minneapolis–St. Paul), ex Public Service Coordinated Transport / New Jersey Transit (NJT) (Newark), built 1946, painted in honor of Cleveland Transit System.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

These were originally manufactured by Jewett Car Co. in Newark, Ohio.

image hosted on flickr
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #192
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11247

I have a similar collection of such photos... Would you like to see them? Perhaps we could share our Muni vehicles collection.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #193
quashlo

In addition to streetcars, several buses in Muni’s historic fleet were also on display, including this GMC Fishbowl.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Muni operates one of the largest electric trolleybus fleets in North America, the inheritance of the once-dense network of publicly-operated Municipal Railway and privately-operated Market Street Railway streetcar lines that criss-crossed the city. There are several ETBs in Muni’s historic fleet including this one, #776, a Marmon-Herrington (built 1950) in the green and cream “Wings” livery. The rollsign is set to the now-defunct 12 Ocean Avenue, a former branch of the 14 Mission now partially replaced by the 49 Van Ness–Mission.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Another historic ETB on display was #506, a St. Louis Car Co. model (built 1941) in blue and gold:

image hosted on flickr

The old rollsign charts are always fun to look at… Lots of old routes that have disappeared or been absorbed (9 Richland, 47 Potrero) and others that have been through name changes (5 McAllister, 6 Masonic).

image hosted on flickr

The last one was one of the old Flyer ETBs, the last generation of Muni’s standard 40-foot ETBs before the arrival of the ETI / Skodas… Used to ride these all the time when I was a kid. Rollsign is for the recently-axed (i.e., in 2009) 4 Sutter, a peak-period only service originally designed to take some of the short-distance commuter load off the other Sutter / Post lines (2 Clement and 3 Jackson).

image hosted on flickr
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #194
quashlo

I caught a ride on Car 162 down to Fisherman’s Wharf and on the way back to the Ferry Building caught a Milan car… Some random scenes on the way back:

image hosted on flickr

PCC Car 1061, ex Philadelphia Transportation Company (PTC) / Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), built 1948, painted in the colors of the Pacific Electric Railway (PE) of Los Angeles. The ex-SEPTA and ex-NJT PCCs and ex-ATM Peter Witts form the bulk of the historic streetcar fleet, supplemented by the more unique and authentic pieces of the collection, which are primarily used on short-trip or special services.

image hosted on flickr

Another Torpedo in Wings livery

image hosted on flickr

A meet of San Francisco locals…

image hosted on flickr

Down the exclusive median ROW along The Embarcadero, where work is proceeding quickly on the piers in preparation for the America’s Cup races in 2013.

image hosted on flickr

PCC Car 1050, ex PTC / SEPTA, built 1948, painted in SF “Wings” colors.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

While today’s “F” line follows Market Street and The Embarcadero between the Castro and Fisherman’s Wharf, Muni’s original F was the “F Stockton” connecting the Marina and Downtown via the Stockton Tunnel. This route is now covered by the 30 Stockton trolley coach line.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Back near the Ferry Building:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #195
quashlo

Time for a ride down Market Street on the Marmon-Herrington trolley coach, #776. Thankfully, they were able to ignore ADA regulations, else I probably wouldn’t have had the opportunity to ride it in revenue service.

image hosted on flickr

Now, a sunset ride down Market Street, San Francisco’s main street, in the old lady, 578S. Was lucky enough to get one of the open-air seats. For safety reasons, they weren’t allowing anybody down on the running boards. Much of the original streetcar traffic on Market Street, served on four tracks at street level, has been replaced by buses and underground trains. The inside tracks were used by the Market Street Railway, with Muni having the outer tracks. The vestiges of this heritage still remain in the quadruple wire down Market Street used by Muni’s trolley coach lines, even though there are now only two tracks at surface level.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We plied along at a clip, but not fast enough for our follower, an ex-Milan Peter Witt…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My final destination was 17th and Castro, but they ran 578S as an in-service pull-in run, and many of the railfans along for the ride stayed on all the way down the J Church line through Dolores Park and the Bernal Cut to Geneva Car House.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #196
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244474

Awesome, very nice shots from San Francisco
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #197
Countach

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
We plied along at a clip, but not fast enough for our follower, an ex-Milan Peter Witt…
I just came back home, here in Milan, with a car identical to the one of your pictures!
Countach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #198
quashlo

San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

Hadn’t been here in many, many years, so I decided to drop by one quiet Sunday.

image hosted on flickr

Aquatic Park
The is the west end (and the nicer part) of Fisherman’s Wharf, with a slightly more historic feel and less kitschy tourist stuff. A short walk along the waterfront and over the hill gets you to Fort Mason and Marina Green.

image hosted on flickr

Inside the engine room of the steam ferry Eureka, originally built in 1890 to ferry freight railcars between San Francisco and Sausalito for the San Francisco and North Pacific Railway, and later automobiles for the Southern Pacific.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The logo of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad (NWP), a freight railroad along the Redwood Coast of California with a tumultuous history. It still survives today on a handful of trips a week carrying agricultural feed and timber for Sonoma County, but the majority of the original mainline north to Eureka is non-operational.

image hosted on flickr

Hyde Street cable car line, the most scenic of San Francisco’s three remaining cable car lines.

image hosted on flickr
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #199
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

There is a plan to extend the F Market & Wharves west from the current terminus at Beach and Taylor along the former alignment of the single-track State Belt Railroad and through the Fort Mason Tunnel to the other side of the hill. The old track still remains in place along the waterfront, encased in asphalt to provide a popular recreational path for walkers, runners, and bikers.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #200
quashlo

The Balclutha, built in 1886 to carry grain and other cargo from Europe to San Francisco around Cape Horn and later performing other duties including carrying timber from California’s forests to Australian mines and personnel and supplies to salmon fishing operations in Alaska.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr