daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:05 AM   #301
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Next, some views from atop Strawberry Hill inside Stow Lake.
Looking east towards the California Academy of Sciences.

image hosted on flickr

Looking north towards The Presidio and the Golden Gate Bridge.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Looking south towards the Inner Sunset and Golden Gate Heights

image hosted on flickr

Outer Sunset and ocean

image hosted on flickr
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:07 AM   #302
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

Back down to ground level…

image hosted on flickr

Urban wildlife

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Stow Lake is the most famous of the park’s lakes and offers a nice walk or paddleboat ride.

image hosted on flickr

The lake’s modest Chinese Pavilion is a recent (1981) gift from sister city Taipei.

image hosted on flickr
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:07 AM   #303
quashlo

54th Annual Tibetan National Uprising Day

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:08 AM   #304
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:09 AM   #305
quashlo

Larkspur

Larkspur is a small town just south of San Rafael in Marin County. I had some field work out there one late winter day, which meant starting off the morning with a ferry ride on the Bay.

Container cranes at the Port of Oakland

image hosted on flickr

Most of the Bay’s commute ferries terminate here at San Francisco’s Ferry Building. There are routes to / from Sausalito, Tiburon, Larkspur, Vallejo, Alameda / Oakland (Jack London Square), and Bay Farm Island.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nob Hill

image hosted on flickr

Coit Tower and Telegraph Hill

image hosted on flickr

Treasure Island and the under-construction eastern span of the Bay Bridge

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

paul62 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:10 AM   #306
quashlo

Ridgetop mansions in Tiburon (I think…)

image hosted on flickr

New construction

image hosted on flickr

We approach Larkspur through the Corte Madera Channel. While the ferry service is reasonably popular, the ironic thing is that the current Larkspur terminal isn’t ideal for a variety of reasons, one of the major ones being that the channel isn’t very deep or wide. Wakes from boats can damage sensitive marshland habitat ringing the channel, so the ferries are forced to crawl through this area at slow speed.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Richmond – San Rafael Bridge

image hosted on flickr

Alcatraz is undoubtedly more famous, but just east of Larkspur is another fairly notorious correctional facility on prime bayfront real estate: San Quentin State Prison. It’s the oldest prison in California.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:11 AM   #307
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Houseboats on the Greenbrae Boardwalk along the south side of Corte Madera Creek

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The ferry terminal is quite large, although most of it is just a giant surface parking lot. With the nearest alternatives at Tiburon and Sausalito, the Larkspur terminal ends up serving all of San Rafael and the surrounding communities.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The service has become increasingly popular with commuters after the introduction of high-speed catamarans, and Golden Gate Transit now has to run a commuter bus to pick up stragglers who can’t fit onto the most crowded boats.

image hosted on flickr

skymantle liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:12 AM   #308
quashlo

Sir Francis Drake Boulevard is Larkspur’s main thoroughfare, and it’s frequently choked with traffic during commute hours with vehicles heading to and from US 101 and west into Kentfield, Ross, and San Anselmo.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some afternoon shots west of the terminal… This is the former Northwestern Pacific Railroad (NWP) right-of-way, where passenger rail service is being restored as part of the Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) project. The current planned southern terminus will be here at Larkspur, just across the street (Sir Francis Drake Blvd.). It will be a 5-10 minute walk from the station to the ferry terminal, with a new bike / ped bridge spanning Sir Francis Drake

image hosted on flickr

SMART will terminate for the time being at Larkspur, but the tracks and ROW actually continue south over Corte Madera Creek on this drawbridge, all the way down to Sausalito (with a spur out to Tiburon), although much of it has been “rail-to-trail” converted to bike paths. I never imagined SMART making it very far, so perhaps we may see train service restored to southern Marin County before long.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:13 AM   #309
quashlo

The Old Mint

The Old United States Mint at the corner of Fifth and Mission is one of the city’s most unique buildings, although it has definitely seen better days after years of neglect, with the grand staircase fronting Fifth Street frequently taken over by homeless. Designated a historical landmark, the building is closed to the public, although efforts are now underway to eventually convert it into a new museum about the city’s history. A special “San Francisco History Expo” was held at the Old Mint the weekend of March 2-3, offering a rare glimpse of the building’s interior. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get very many good pictures, but here’s a peek inside.

image hosted on flickr

The vault floor (underground)…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:14 AM   #310
quashlo

The History Expo was spread across the entire building, with an impressive array of booths and exhibits about the city’s history

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The inner courtyard is a treat. Tthe adjacent section of Jessie Street was converted into a hardscape plaza several years ago and plans are moving on the “5M Project” to redevelop the historic Chronicle Building across the street from the Old Mint. Construction work has also finally begun nearby on the 250,000 square foot CityPlace urban mall, now branded as “Market Street Place”. Hopefully, this building will also eventually get the attention it deserves.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM   #311
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

Awesome thread!
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #312
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

You know that the Old Mint will eventually become the City Museum of SF, right? Seems like it's taking far too long to raise the funds and do the renovation work, but it probably will eventually happen as it's supposed to.
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #313
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11255

Excellent work, my friend! It looks like we really help ourselves make our region stand out, and you've been doing wonderful shots of what's going on in San Francisco really well. I'm proud of what you share to us, and I'm very pleased of your photography. I'll be more than happy to fill up any gaps you have if you need to...

And by the way, what's in Larkspur? What project did you do there? I sometimes take the ferry to San Francisco instead of the other direction because I live in Novato, and I really love the contrasts between the mainly-residential Marin County and the financial hub of San Francisco... and yes, those houses are actually either in Corte Madera (Paradise Cay) or Tiburon (outside town limits). I'd better check on those more carefully because I see those houses as well when I cross to the City. Plus, you're correct about what you saw with the 97: not only it operates one trip a day from Larkspur to San Francisco (leaves around 5am), but it also acts as an overflow service to bring commuters between the Financial District (ending up more than likely near the Ferry Building) and Larkspur Ferry, with an occasional bus or two in the PM as well.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #314
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Amazing...... I love San Francisco.
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #315
quashlo

Kalayaan 2013

This was a small celebration of The Philippines' Independence Day, held in Union Square.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A Filipino restaurant that recently opened at the Metreon.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #316
quashlo

The headliner of the event was apl.de.ap of the Black Eyed Peas.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #317
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I think this guy was on American Idol or something…

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #318
quashlo

James R. Herman Cruise Terminal (Pier 27)

Work on San Francisco's cruise terminal was recently completed at Pier 27, although the site is currently serving as the America's Cup Park, one of the two official venues to watch the races, while the cruise ships continue to berth at Pier 35.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Yachts docked at the pier

image hosted on flickr

The Cup itself hasn't completely met expectations, leading some locals to call it a flub.

image hosted on flickr
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #319
quashlo

The terminal itself is a modest size, but overall a nice design. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go inside.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 9th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #320
quashlo