daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #81
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

17th Annual San Francisco International Dragon Boat Festival

My first time visiting what is billed as the largest competitive dragon boat racing event in the U.S. Started out on the Peninsula, but has since moved onto a larger venue on Treasure Island. The charter bus ride out to the island was free, so it gave me a good excuse to get some shots of the Downtown skyline and the new East Span of the Bay Bridge.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #82
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #83
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 13th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #84
quashlo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A Princess Cruises boat undergoing repair at the drydock at Pier 70. Most of the Port of San Francisco’s container operations have shifted to Oakland, but the cruise ship business is doing well, with news that the Grand Princess will be based in San Francisco year-round starting next year and work proceeding apace on the new James R. Herman International Cruise Terminal under construction at Pier 27. And with the America’s Cup events, perhaps there is a bit of renewed interest in the city’s maritime roots.

image hosted on flickr
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #85
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Those pics really look wonderful indeed!

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #86
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Impressive quantity and quality of photos of San Francisco there!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #87
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 504

Nice pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
A Princess Cruises boat undergoing repair at the drydock at Pier 70. Most of the Port of San Francisco’s container operations have shifted to Oakland, but the cruise ship business is doing well, with news that the Grand Princess will be based in San Francisco year-round starting next year and work proceeding apace on the new James R. Herman International Cruise Terminal under construction at Pier 27. And with the America’s Cup events, perhaps there is a bit of renewed interest in the city’s maritime roots.
That dry dock is actually the largest one on the west coast of North America, so more than just cruise ships get work done at it (and interestingly, not far away is the former site of the first dry dock on the west coast to launch a steel-hulled ship, in 1885). You're right that the port of Oakland handles most container shipping, as when container shipping became big (in the 60s/70s), new expanded terminals were needed, but the port of SF did not have enough space to expand too much, while the port of Oakland did. The port of SF does have a small container terminal though, and also handles some break-bulk cargo. I always found SF's maritime history interesting, particularly because it's a side of the city that's been kind of forgotten in the past several decades (aside from cruise ships, ferries and fishermen), due to the port of Oakland gaining in prominence. I'd be willing to bet that your average SF resident isn't even aware that cargo gets handled at the port of SF.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #88
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s
Nice pictures!

That dry dock is actually the largest one on the west coast of North America, so more than just cruise ships get work done at it (and interestingly, not far away is the former site of the first dry dock on the west coast to launch a steel-hulled ship, in 1885). You're right that the port of Oakland handles most container shipping, as when container shipping became big (in the 60s/70s), new expanded terminals were needed, but the port of SF did not have enough space to expand too much, while the port of Oakland did. The port of SF does have a small container terminal though, and also handles some break-bulk cargo. I always found SF's maritime history interesting, particularly because it's a side of the city that's been kind of forgotten in the past several decades (aside from cruise ships, ferries and fishermen), due to the port of Oakland gaining in prominence. I'd be willing to bet that your average SF resident isn't even aware that cargo gets handled at the port of SF.
Well, I have no idea of that either, but I have some knowledge about the areas called Hunters Point, Dogpatch, China Basin, and India Basin... I'd say those areas were the prominent dry dock areas for ships before Oakland took over.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #89
techniques1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Well, I have no idea of that either, but I have some knowledge about the areas called Hunters Point, Dogpatch, China Basin, and India Basin... I'd say those areas were the prominent dry dock areas for ships before Oakland took over.
As far as I know, SF is still the prominent drydock area compared to Oakland, at least when it comes to servicing large ships (as i said, the largest drydock on the west coast of North America is there, in that pic that quashlo posted), but Oakland is of course by far the more prominent cargo port, as it has much more extensive container facilities. You are right that there were more drydocks on SF's waterfront in the past, in those areas you mentioned (the drydock pictured here is in Dogpatch, by the way), just as there were more cargo operations in those areas in the past as well. SF used to be a big shipbuilding area as well as cargo port.
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #90
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s

As far as I know, SF is still the prominent drydock area compared to Oakland, at least when it comes to servicing large ships (as i said, the largest drydock on the west coast of North America is there, in that pic that quashlo posted), but Oakland is of course by far the more prominent cargo port, as it has much more extensive container facilities. You are right that there were more drydocks on SF's waterfront in the past, in those areas you mentioned (the drydock pictured here is in Dogpatch, by the way), just as there were more cargo operations in those areas in the past as well. SF used to be a big shipbuilding area as well as cargo port.
True. It must be gentrification that caused the ports to lose its prominence, as well as constant improvements made to the area that rolled in businesses and apartments along Third Street. A suggestion: build more marinas close to China Basin and Dogpatch to allow more boaters to dock there,

Old October 15th, 2012, 08:17 AM   #91
techniques1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
True. It must be gentrification that caused the ports to lose its prominence, as well as constant improvements made to the area that rolled in businesses and apartments along Third Street. A suggestion: build more marinas close to China Basin and Dogpatch to allow more boaters to dock there,
The main reason for the loss of all those port operations in SF city-proper was, as I said, that with the advent of container shipping SF just didn't have enough room to expand it's port, so Oakland took over as the Bay Area's main port (becuase they did have the space to expand). On top of that, break-bulk cargo got less popular as shipping in large part switched over to container ships, so that meant even less cargo was coming through SF than before. This started happening in the 1960s, but gentrification wasn't really a huge issue in SF until the late 1990s. Also, things like shipbuilding are mostly done in other countries now. But yeah, gentrification definitely does not help things when it comes to blue collar industries.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #92
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
The main reason for the loss of all those port operations in SF city-proper was, as I said, that with the advent of container shipping SF just didn't have enough room to expand it's port, so Oakland took over as the Bay Area's main port (becuase they did have the space to expand). On top of that, break-bulk cargo got less popular as shipping in large part switched over to container ships, so that meant even less cargo was coming through SF than before. This started happening in the 1960s, but gentrification wasn't really a huge issue in SF until the late 1990s. Also, things like shipbuilding are mostly done in other countries now. But yeah, gentrification definitely does not help things when it comes to blue collar industries.
Sounds so true. I just want to learn a little bit of history of SF's ports over time because I would like to explore how to make the waterfront of San Francisco even better, especially with cargo ships getting larger and more efficient. It's something like... I'm a student of urban planning, and I'm looking into developing ports that could actually host more than just cargo ships and trucks.

Old October 19th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #93
quashlo

Autumn Moon Festival 2012

My absolute favorite time of the year to visit Chinatown... Enjoy.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr