daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #21
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
That's not how I use those in Dutch. In my book, a flat and especially its diminutive form flatje is usually being considered to be a bit of a derogative term for an apartment, usually when it's a cheap one. The word flat is mostly being used as a noun to point out a commieblock-style apartment building.
That's more or less like in (north)Belgium. We almost always say appartement. The word flat is often used in the word "flatgebouw" which can be interpreted as a large, commieblock-style appartement building. We don't use the word condo, but I can associate it to the american context (although I didn't know what kind of appartment was meant until i read the explanation above).
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #22
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Because in America it has a one particular meaning. Elswhere it is a marketing trick aimed at specific type of buyer. Someone who isnt merely buying a place to live but is buying a lifestyle.
America meaning Canada and the United States then? It's certainly not a marketing trick in either country. You said outside the United States just 2 days ago:

Quote:
usage of "Condo" outside the USA just a cheap marketing trick

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #23
Veruca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

If I'm living in a city (+1 million inhabitants) I would prefer a flat...
Veruca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #24
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
So an owner-occupied rowhome in the US/Canada would also be called a condo/condominium?
Yes. Condominium doesn't refer to type of structure, but that a condominium corporation exists to deal with shared maintenance, repairs, upgrades, security, cable tv, common areas, etc. that owners pay into. Usually, the owner can not make changes to the exterior and isn't responsible for that either.

Condominium is a legal term in Canada and the United States. Beyond these 2 countries, I couldn't comment.

I have a condo in a high rise building in downtown Toronto. I pay a monthly condo fee that covers heat, lights, water, landscaping, garbage collection, security, swimming pool, gym, sauna, parking, bike room, storage, building staff, and cable television. It also covers maintenance, repairs, cleaning, and renovations to the structure, public areas (lobby, elevators, halls, laundry room), windows, and exterior doors. I might be missing a few things.

My mother had a condo in Halifax that was a row house. She also had a condo fee, but there were obviously fewer services included.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; September 25th, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old September 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20041

I see, thanks. Similar arrangements with apartments exist here, but i've never heard about them pertaining to rowhomes. Generally rowhomes tend just to be individually owned freehold properties with each owner in the row responsible for their own maintenance, services etc, just like a detached house.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #26
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8164

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's certainly not a marketing trick in either country.
It certainly is everywhere else. American terminology is used very widely and it is used for the effect of making a product seem better than it is and to appeal to certain type of buyer.
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There is a further distinction. Condominiums are owned, those that are rented are either apartments or town homes depending on what kind of structure it is. It's a town home if its a row house, otherwise its an apartment (in a building with one unit stacked on top of another like in a high rise).
True; apartments are all in the same building, and townhouses are rowhouses.

There is one more slightly different situation too... a "Cooperative". In Canada, Cooperatives are basically apartment buildings that are run by the people who live in them; they elect a board to run the place. In New York, for an example, I believe Co-ops are owned by the user. All very confusing!
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #28
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 3991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
In Canada, Cooperatives are basically apartment buildings that are run by the people who live in them; they elect a board to run the place.
Not sure about NYC, but that's how it also works here in Chicago (and Minneapolis, too). In co-ops no one owns the land under their unit. Instead each owner has one share in the cooperative organization that runs the place. Property taxes are usually built into monthly co-op fees, a plus. On the other hand, co-ops are considered to be lesser condos, so they typically have lower resale values.

Last edited by Major Deegan; September 25th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #29
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

The term 'Condo' is never used in Australia. 'Apartment' is the most commonly used word for multi-unit accommodation, the terms 'unit' and 'flat' are also somewhat common.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #30
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

The term "flat" is more used in The UK and Commonwealth countries and former territories like HK.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #31
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

We don't ever use the word "flat" in Canada; always apartment.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #32
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Canada has it's strong influence from it's neighbor down south.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #33
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

In Australia, the word 'flat' is subject to different meanings by people of different ages.

For older people and immigrants from the UK, 'flat' tends to mean the same as 'apartment'. For younger people, the term 'flat' tends to refer to either a small, trailer type house in the garden of a larger house ('granny flat') or dwellings in a house subdivided into several smaller dwellings, each often containing their own bathroom/kitchen.
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #34
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
Canada has it's strong influence from it's neighbor down south.
We don't use the word 'flat' because (unlike other places in the Commonwealth) Britain has very little influence here. Many things in Canada do come from the US, but lots of things don't. You're being rather presumptuous.

Last edited by isaidso; September 27th, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #35
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

In German we have the word "Wohnung" which is very general and is used for any kind of appartement or condo.
The word "Appartement" is also used in german, but that's usually only associated with small appartements with one or two rooms. Like typical for student appartements.

The differentiation between the english appartement and condo in german is done via suffixes to the word "Wohnung".
So in german the term "Mietwohnung" is used for rental appartements and the Word "Eigentumswohnung" would litterally mean it's an "ownership appartement" so an owned appartement.

We also have the english term penthouse and loft which is more and more used for spacious luxury appartements as a trend for marketing reasons.

But using the word condo in germany would probably just cause hillariously embarrasing confusion, since it would most likely be misunderstood as a spelling or pronounciation error with a missing m.

And it probably also wouldn't help all that much, trying to explain in detail how people can live in a "condomium".
Old October 11th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #36
felip

Likes (Received): 1241

Here in Chile (and also in others Lationamerican countries) "condominio" is used when a group of apartment buildings (and houses in some cases) are distributed such that internal, closed, and common spaces are generated. In those cases the "condomino" is the whole structure and its internal spaces, and not each individual "apartment" which is called "departamento" or, much less common, "apartamento", the same name that they have when they are part of an individual building.

No different names are used if the poperty is rent or not.

(And I can assure that almost anybody in Lationamerica knows the difference established by the Americans betwen both terms.)

cheers.
felip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:21 PM   #37
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
That's not how I use those in Dutch. In my book, a flat and especially its diminutive form flatje is usually being considered to be a bit of a derogative term for an apartment, usually when it's a cheap one. The word flat is mostly being used as a noun to point out a commieblock-style apartment building.
I agree.

I thought that the word condo was used for small 1 bedroom units?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:54 AM   #38
fatym

Likes (Received): 1

Condo ownwership is shared ownership so you do not have complete control over your property and expenses. I will never buy another condo.
fatym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:07 PM   #39
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
I've live in Canada for years, and I'm still confused with apartments, condo, condo-apartments, condo-townhouse, townhouse, duplex, condo-duplex, duplex-apartments...

seriously, what the heck?!!

A Chicagoan liked this post

Last edited by wino; October 23rd, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #40
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
I've live in Canada for years, and I'm still confused with apartments, condo, condo-apartments, condo-townhouse, townhouse, duplex, condo-duplex, duplex-apartments...

seriously, what the heck?!!
Couldn't they have stuck with simple terms? I absolutely agree!