daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2017, 04:39 PM   #41
RaychelBackland

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaide1987 View Post
It depends on what you prefer for me i prefer condo since they have amenities and a pool
unlike apartments some are old and don't have amenities. so i don't have any problem commuting to work.
Hi, I also prefer condos because I have an experience of both apartment and condo living. So, as per my opinion condos have the best amenities or services!

Last edited by Yellow Fever; November 1st, 2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: edited ad content out.
RaychelBackland no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2017, 05:58 PM   #42
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55237

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
I've live in Canada for years, and I'm still confused with apartments, condo, condo-apartments, condo-townhouse, townhouse, duplex, condo-duplex, duplex-apartments...

seriously, what the heck?!!
Seriously? come on wino, condo and apartment are the same. Condo is just the new term to replace apartment. I never heard of condo-apartments, condo-townhouse or condo-duplex and duplex-apartments.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2017, 06:23 PM   #43
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12192

Well, condo units are individually owned, like a house, and they have an owner's association that is similar to a Co-op. The owner may choose to rent it out to a third party. With apartment blocks, all the apartments are owned by one company and all are rented out.
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:47 PM   #44
Haifon

Likes (Received): 226

Villas
Haifon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 01:46 AM   #45
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Agree. The term condo, from condominium, simply means you own it and you pay monthly condo fees to a condo board to pay for maintenance, repair, and renovation. Areas within ones home are the responsibility of the owner.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

alexandru.mircea, Taller, Better liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; November 3rd, 2017 at 01:58 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 03:18 AM   #46
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Well, condo units are individually owned, like a house, and they have an owner's association that is similar to a Co-op. The owner may choose to rent it out to a third party. With apartment blocks, all the apartments are owned by one company and all are rented out.
Interesting, in France (and not only) appartment blocks are exactly what you describe as condos. I don't know if the latter version (which you call appartment blocks) really exists in and around France, because the developer normally builds the block only after it has managed to sell at least a chunk of the appartments to their future owners, so that it can raise the cash to start building and sell the rest meanwhile, or after the building was finished. The only entity that actually builds for renting is the state, for social welfare reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree. The term condo, from condominium, simply means you own it and you pay monthly condo fees to a condo board to pay for maintenance, repair, and renovation. Areas within ones home are the responsibility of the owner.
Thanks for this, it's the clearest explanation I've heard so far, and it settles the question for me definitively. In France it's called a coproprieté and it means the same thing, literally.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

Taller, Better liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 04:53 AM   #47
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
So an owner-occupied rowhome in the US/Canada would also be called a condo/condominium?
No, that's not necessarily true. There are plenty of freehold townhouses on public roads so they're really no different from a detached house in that regard. Townhouses that are in a block of land or "complex" where there would be an amenity area and visitor parking however are condominiums for which you would pay a monthly maintenance fee for
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:31 AM   #48
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31696

Condominium (condo) refers to the legal setup of the property. A group of single family homes could, for example, be setup as a condominium.
JuanPaulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote