daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1
Strykr

Likes (Received): 31

Mile-high skyscraper may not be far off, experts say

Duncan Chard/Bloomberg

A mile-high skyscraper — almost double the height of today's record-holder — might be a reality by 2025 as developing countries lavish cash on an ego-fueled race to put up the world's tallest building.

“If you have enough money, I'm sure the human mind can create a lot higher,” said Timothy Johnson, chairman of the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, widely recognized as the world's arbiter of tallest structures.

“Who are we to say it's good or bad? People want to push higher and higher. That's just human nature, isn't it?”
Planning for the one-mile milestone — imagine downtown Omaha with eight First National Towers stacked atop one another — might start before 2020 and be done five years after that, Johnson said, without giving further details. He spoke at his council's conference this week in Shanghai, a site chosen to recognize China's ascendancy in the world of skyscrapers — with nine of the world's 20 tallest buildings now under construction.
The current record holder — the 2,717-foot Burj Khalifa in Dubai — is expected to be overtaken by an Arab neighbor, the 3,281-foot Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in 2018.
Developing countries are eclipsing the United States and Europe in the “megatall” category of structures, driven to build ever higher by their faster economic growth and a desire to show off new wealth.
Johnson said that about four years ago, he discussed plans with a Middle Eastern developer for a building 1½ miles high. The developer, whom he declined to identify, shelved the idea because of the economic turmoil in the region, he said, but “we actually discovered you can do it.”
The challenges: finding materials to replace steel and concrete, and identifying ways beyond traditional elevators to move people up and down.
Frank Lloyd Wright, the American architect who designed New York's Guggenheim Museum, sketched a fantasy skyscraper, “The Illinois,” in 1956 that would have been a mile high. It called for 76 atomic-powered, quintuple-deck elevators.
For tall buildings in general, China is the cutting edge. It built 23 of them in the 200-meter-plus category (656 feet or more) last year, more than any other country, according to the council. The World Financial Center in Shanghai, at 1,614 feet, is the tallest in China and No. 3 in the world, and the nearby Shanghai Tower, at 2,073 feet, will be the world's second-highest when it's done in 2014.
The world's current No. 2 skyscraper is not far away in Taiwan, the 1,667-foot Taipei 101.
The only skyscraper in the top 10 that isn't in either Asia or the Middle East is in Chicago: the Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears Tower, which at 1,451 feet ranks eighth on the list.
By 2020, five of the world's tallest 20 buildings will be in just three Mideast countries: the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, the council predicts.
“What's happening in the Middle East is a bit of ego,” Johnson said. “A lot of this is built with oil money. There isn't necessarily the demand. However, the people building these want to push human ingenuity.”
Maybe the first one-mile building “will be in Africa, a place that needs to somehow say, ‘Look, we are also here,'” he said.
Adrian Smith, the Chicago architect responsible for the Burj Khalifa and the Kingdom Tower, said that “technologically, mile-high buildings are feasible to do. You can build them now.” But he doesn't expect it soon.
“There is no real reason to go that high, and it's a very expensive venture. I think we are going to be creeping up on that stage. My guess is that won't happen for another 20 to 30 years.”

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120922/AP09/709229886
Strykr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

lmao, qatar? the doha convention tower is on hold for years, i don't think it will come back to life soon. And 1 mile by 2025 is a little bit too optimistic, well if we see a serious proposal for that in the next years and it starts preparations before 2016 then we may see it. and i don't think it will happen in africa.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #3
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

mile-high..really lol thats not even neccesary just for show, i think it looks ridiculous and stupid to have something that tall, even the burj i think is ridiculous..

wespje1990, CDNer liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 5

I think we could very well do it now and even start building one in the next two to five years if we had the money and will power. But it's a mater of where we would put it and what uses would it have and where would it be needed. I really feel most likely considering the US way of building things is falling down like the Romans some other county most likely China or the Middle East and I would suspect India too would built it in that they have the money and the reason too. Such as if you look at some of the sky high real state prices and rents in some of these Chinese cities would make it a logical idea considering how limited floor space is in some of these cities.

As for the US New York city might be a real possibly considering they a pent house apartment sell for 95 million dollars so a mile high building could have several dozen of these to pay it's cost.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1604

I don't see that happening. China will soon turn into building mid-rises after companies start to break down after getting no profit from all the supertalls.
Middle east will stop getting oil revenues and just like Dubai, they will start filling in actual architecture that is of some use (cheaper flats, houses).
USA will never get around to it since they are not into anything that's taller than 600 meters.
Europe isn't stupid and no one will throw so much money just to make something for others to look at.
In reality we didn't move really that much in terms of skyscrapers except for Burj Khalifa and a few others. We still get just a handful of supertalls and they were here 75 years ago.

The seventh shape liked this post
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #6
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

the numbers of supertalls is rapidly getting bigger and bigger, but the real big building may take longer, we are getting a few 600m+ buildings in the next years, but until that becomes nothing special anymore may take quite a while and only then i may expect a mile high tower. after kingdom tower there is probably another 2 WTB before they reach the mile-milestone.

just random numbers of skyscraper development around the world, it is getting faster and faster, we saw the same with 200m buildings in the 70s to 90s, the amount got more and more until it was nearly uncountable for us now. the same happens now slowly with supertalls and in many years it will happen with 400m+ buildings and only by that time i can imagine a mile high tower that actually makes at least a bit sense.
supertalls (400m+) finished in the year:

1930-1997:19 (3)

1998: 3 (2)
1999: 2 (1)
2000: 2 (0)
2001: 1 (0)
2002: 1 (0)
2003: 1 (1)
2004: 1 (1)
2005: 1 (0)
2006: 2 (0)
2007: 3 (0)
2008: 4 (1)
2009: 3 (1)
2010: 9 (4)
2011: 9 (2)
2012: 13 (2)
2013: 20 (0)
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #7
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykr View Post

Duncan Chard/Bloomberg

The World Financial Center in Shanghai, at 1,614 feet, is the tallest in China and No. 3 in the world, False, it is No. 4
The world's current No. 2 skyscraper is not far away in Taiwan, the 1,667-foot Taipei 101. False, it is No. 3

1. Burk Khalifa
2. Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel
3. Taipei 101
4. Shanghai World Financial Center
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Since Abby is in Mecca it had little presentation in the non-muslim media so I guess only some of us skyscraper fanatics know it exists
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1234

But please, do it in Chicago! Build the one proposed by Frank Lloyd Wright!!
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #10
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
1. Burk Khalifa
2. Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel
3. Taipei 101
4. Shanghai World Financial Center
debatable, if you count only finished buildings which is what most official sources do, he is right. The one in Makkah is topped out, they may have meant only completely finished buildings.
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #11
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Abby is already finished, well, at least according to SSP diagrams
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Yea I really doubt this will happen...

These building booms always come to an end, and when they do, no one is building a mile high anything. I hate to say it but there is a limit.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #13
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Abby is already finished, well, at least according to SSP diagrams
yeah it is all about if you count the whole project or just the main tower. like i said debatable i can see both numbers to be correct.
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Kendrich

Likes (Received): 0

I would get sick working in the top levels of a mile high building
Kendrich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #15
elking
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Why such a big skyscrapers? It scared
elking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:02 AM   #16
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
lmao, qatar? the doha convention tower is on hold for years, i don't think it will come back to life soon. And 1 mile by 2025 is a little bit too optimistic, well if we see a serious proposal for that in the next years and it starts preparations before 2016 then we may see it. and i don't think it will happen in africa.
agree. not before 2030 i would say. and definitely not in africa i guess.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:10 AM   #17
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

however i think we will see quite some more towers in the 700m to 1000m range in the next years popping up as proposals. After Kingdom Tower gets the title as the worlds tallest it will probably have that title for at least 5 years and probably not more than 15 years would be my guess, but hard to know for sure (about 8 years maybe). i think it would be quite nice to see a new world's tallest building rising before Kingdom Tower even finishes though
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:15 AM   #18
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Who needs a mile high tower..? Bragging rights?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 12:18 AM   #19
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

waste of time to have something that tall lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:48 AM   #20
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Yeah, not going to happen. Isn't Burj Khalifa office spaces empty and many of the apartments still not filled?
Burj Khalifa at its height is most of all kind of money throwing that you would not see in USA and no country in Europe would "ever" build something like that.

China is really the place where you could even imagine it, but again like said. When you are not trying to figure out where to throw oil money, you are expecting some actual returns from your investment.
You are not getting returns from Burj Khalifa like tower at the moment, not to even talk about mile-high.

Just for the sake of it i'll say that we will see 1km tower in the next 15 years, but first mile-high will take +50 years.

Last edited by tonttula; January 31st, 2013 at 01:55 AM.
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote