daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2012, 04:59 AM   #81
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
Skyteam member AEROFLOT in Summer 2013 season is planning to resume Moscow Sheremetyevo – Toronto operation, after over 4 years of service suspension. The airline is planning 3 weekly operation on board Boeing 767-300ER aircraft, from 03JUN13.

Reservation for this route is currently not available to general public. Planned schedule:

SU114 SVO1025 – 1225YYZ 763 357
SU115 YYZ1400 – 0720+1SVO 763 357

Could this be bad news for the rumours of Aeroflot coming back to SFO in 2013?
No idea. SU coming back to SFO is a fine idea since there is a sizable Eastern European community in San Francisco, especially in the Richmond District. But if SU is serious in coming back to SFO, I think it will be served with an A332.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #82
UrbanMyth

Likes (Received): 193

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I don't know if you planned to include Charlotte or not considering that it is one of the busiest and fastest growing airports in the US, but three non-US based carriers serve Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT) as of right now.

Air Canada
Lufthansa
Insel Air
Charlotte (CLT) is 11th busiest major airport in the US and the 25th in the world.
UrbanMyth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #83
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.
Turkish Airlines serves O'Hare.
Old November 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #84
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I am wondering... What other airlines could potentially serve SFO, aside with SK and MU starting operations next year? Plus, I wonder also if there will be international operations with the B787 from the Bay Area, given the number of airlines serving SFO (except for UA's IAH-SFO service)?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #85
Almaden

Likes (Received): 2

New Airlines at SFO/OAK/SJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I am wondering... What other airlines could potentially serve SFO, aside with SK and MU starting operations next year? Plus, I wonder also if there will be international operations with the B787 from the Bay Area, given the number of airlines serving SFO (except for UA's IAH-SFO service)?

I think that San Jose might gain a few more Mexican routes, but a European or additional Asian carriers seems a little far-fetched to me. Oakland has been losing carriers, but there was a point where Air Asia was looking at services to OAK (even painted a plane in Raiders motif). But OAK will remain a charter-type airport.

That leaves SFO the dominate international hub for the forseable future. Would be nice if China Southern got a Guangzhou route going, and a few more Star Alliance carriers at SFO to link up with United. SAS (hopefully) starts up in may, but would be great if Thai, TAM or maybe even Turkish would come in. We're losing AirBerlin (which sucks) and Alitalia, Icelandic, Finnair, AerLingus have come and gone...
Almaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #86
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

I think that San Jose might gain a few more Mexican routes, but a European or additional Asian carriers seems a little far-fetched to me. Oakland has been losing carriers, but there was a point where Air Asia was looking at services to OAK (even painted a plane in Raiders motif). But OAK will remain a charter-type airport.

That leaves SFO the dominate international hub for the forseable future. Would be nice if China Southern got a Guangzhou route going, and a few more Star Alliance carriers at SFO to link up with United. SAS (hopefully) starts up in may, but would be great if Thai, TAM or maybe even Turkish would come in. We're losing AirBerlin (which sucks) and Alitalia, Icelandic, Finnair, AerLingus have come and gone...
Questions:

- For TG to operate to SFO, what would be its stopover from BKK? Will it be ICN, KIX, NRT, or another airport?

- For JJ (TAM), how would you route a GRU or GIG to SFO? Will it stop in LIM, MEX, or any US point?

- If CZ is interested in starting a CAN-SFO route, with what aircraft and frequency will it offer, and how will it compete with CX, UA, and SQ doing HKG-SFO?

- If TK is to open a route to SFO, I think it would start with a 3 or 4-weekly route nonstop, with a B77W. However, would there be a load factor issue if SU decides to resume its SVO-SFO service because it could offer better fares?

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #87
Almaden

Quote:
Questions:

- For TG to operate to SFO, what would be its stopover from BKK? Will it be ICN, KIX, NRT, or another airport?

- For JJ (TAM), how would you route a GRU or GIG to SFO? Will it stop in LIM, MEX, or any US point?

- If CZ is interested in starting a CAN-SFO route, with what aircraft and frequency will it offer, and how will it compete with CX, UA, and SQ doing HKG-SFO?

- If TK is to open a route to SFO, I think it would start with a 3 or 4-weekly route nonstop, with a B77W. However, would there be a load factor issue if SU decides to resume its SVO-SFO service because it could offer better fares?

Wow, those are great questions. Much more in-depth than I would know how to answer, honestly. I would like to see more intl airlines at SFO if for no other reason that when driving by 101 it is cool to see the planes.

But I will try: For Thai, and others (like Iberia for example), a couple extension flights a week on their flights to LAX maybe? I am sure it is more affordable to have United and others provide feeder flights.

TAM: Other than LAN to Lima (continuing to Sao Paulo) there is no nonstop serve to South America, which seems bizarre to me. Maybe a 787 would make the route doable.

United had plans before the economic slide in 2009 to start SFO-CAN, so one day I'm sure it will come to be. Look at the flights from YVR --- they even have flights to Shenyang.

And, lastly, Turkish. They seem to be like Emirates --- determined to fly almost everywhere and expanding rapidly. So....let's hope.

Enjoy your posts. Keep em coming.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #88
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Probably it's better for either TG or IB to have dedicated services to SFO if not backtracking it to LAX. Perhaps a triangle routing would work in the process for IB, but probably not TG since it will be a really long flight from Bangkok. Yet, there might be a possibility that TG could operate its SFO service with either a B772ER, B77W, or even an A380 (if warranted); however, TG's service to LAX (via ICN) uses a 772 (with enhanced features). Prior to that, it was operated as a nonstop with an A345 (I already miss that aircraft already).

Should TK really open service here to SFO, my best guess would be it will use the 77W, but, I believe that the daily operation to CA should be split into a 4x weekly to LAX, 3x weekly to SFO because the flight times are a bit similar to each other.

Plus, with MU coming back to SFO, I just hope that HU (Hainan Airlines) can introduce services to SJC or OAK using either its A332 or A345 aircraft, if not a B787 to cater to additional flight demand from Mainland China.

Yet another observation: do you believe that NZ could send its B77W to SFO on a regular basis because it seems like I see its B747 very often (but soon, it will send its B772s)? And I really wonder if LH can mount an additional flight to FRA, if not BER or DUS (seasonal) to accommodate potential traveler demand?

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #89
Almaden

Quote:
Probably it's better for either TG or IB to have dedicated services to SFO if not backtracking it to LAX. Perhaps a triangle routing would work in the process for IB, but probably not TG since it will be a really long flight from Bangkok. Yet, there might be a possibility that TG could operate its SFO service with either a B772ER, B77W, or even an A380 (if warranted); however, TG's service to LAX (via ICN) uses a 772 (with enhanced features). Prior to that, it was operated as a nonstop with an A345 (I already miss that aircraft already).

Should TK really open service here to SFO, my best guess would be it will use the 77W, but, I believe that the daily operation to CA should be split into a 4x weekly to LAX, 3x weekly to SFO because the flight times are a bit similar to each other.

Plus, with MU coming back to SFO, I just hope that HU (Hainan Airlines) can introduce services to SJC or OAK using either its A332 or A345 aircraft, if not a B787 to cater to additional flight demand from Mainland China.

Yet another observation: do you believe that NZ could send its B77W to SFO on a regular basis because it seems like I see its B747 very often (but soon, it will send its B772s)? And I really wonder if LH can mount an additional flight to FRA, if not BER or DUS (seasonal) to accommodate potential traveler demand?
I read recently that Air New Zealand has sent their 747's to SFO because the 767's they were using previously didn't have enough seats and they have discontinued them at LAX in favour of the 777s.

A 3-week Thai schedule would be awesome. What about routing it thru Vietnam? San Jose has the largest vietnamese community in the US and there is no direct service yet, although Vietnam Airlines has long range goals of flights to LAX I think.

Now that they have joined Star Alliance (as of today), maybe an eventual Shenzhen Airlines flight to Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport --- which looks incredible --- could work. I know they have been shopping for widebodies, including 787s. Something to ponder given the Bay Area's huge chinese community and longstanding historic, cultural and business ties to southern china (and no current service to Ghuangzhou).

Interestingly, United Airlines looks set to be the first North American carrier to introduce non-stop service to secondary cities in China, with CEO Jeff Smisek telling local media this month that its Boeing 787s will open cities like Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi'an and Wuhan. San Fancison seems to me to be the logical choice for being the North American gateway for any of these flights for UA.

BTW, thanks for the invitation. Didn't know they even existed! I replied, but not sure if it went thru.

Last edited by Almaden; November 29th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #90
Almaden

Quote:

---------------------

As for Lufthansa...

I think they run Dusseldorf flights from New York and Chicago so, with Air Berlin discontinuing SFO service to focus on One World hubs, perhaps LH could pick up a summer seasonal SFO-DUS flight. Air Berlin is starting a LAX-BER flight in the spring, so not sure if there is enough market yet (and Berlin's new airport has been delayed opening until the fall 2013). Not sure but I think UA is starting a second FRA flight next year (in addition to extra LHR and Paris CDG).
Old November 30th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #91
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I read recently that Air New Zealand has sent their 747's to SFO because the 767's they were using previously didn't have enough seats and they have discontinued them at LAX in favour of the 777s.

A 3-week Thai schedule would be awesome. What about routing it thru Vietnam? San Jose has the largest vietnamese community in the US and there is no direct service yet, although Vietnam Airlines has long range goals of flights to LAX I think.

Now that they have joined Star Alliance (as of today), maybe an eventual Shenzhen Airlines flight to Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport --- which looks incredible --- could work. I know they have been shopping for widebodies, including 787s. Something to ponder given the Bay Area's huge chinese community and longstanding historic, cultural and business ties to southern china (and no current service to Ghuangzhou).

Interestingly, United Airlines looks set to be the first North American carrier to introduce non-stop service to secondary cities in China, with CEO Jeff Smisek telling local media this month that its Boeing 787s will open cities like Chengdu, Chongqing, Xi'an and Wuhan. San Fancison seems to me to be the logical choice for being the North American gateway for any of these flights for UA.

BTW, thanks for the invitation. Didn't know they even existed! I replied, but not sure if it went thru.
Sure, NZ used B763s to operate between AKL and LAX via Rarotonga or Nadi en route so that it can pick up additional passengers along the way. I also remember NZ operating the same AKL-LAX route via Apia, as well as Honolulu if I'm not mistaken. But, I think that those services actually helped bring people living in and tourists visiting the Pacific Island nations to bring ties together between Oceania and the United States, and those direct flights might be the only long-haul, direct services to any mainland continental destination. I still wish though that NZ could send its B77Ws more often to SFO instead of seeing a B747 on a regular basis so that passengers can have an even more enhanced experience on board.

Yes, a 3x-weekly TG service would be awesome, but I don't know if their aircraft has enough range to fly nonstop from SGN or HAN to SFO. I think routing it via HKG would be great, but there are already three airlines doing daily rotations between HKG and SFO (UA, CX, SQ), with CX operating the route 2x daily. If I can schedule the route, I would make it land in SFO mid-morning or noontime and leave in the early to mid-afternoon as to provide guaranteed connections in SFO to and from UA flights. The only issue I can find with that setup is the eventual connections in BKK, especially for domestic flights: that would mean passengers arriving in BKK will stay overnight to wait for their connecting flights. If, however, the departure from SFO would be at nighttime (similar to PR, SQ, CX, CI, and BR), it would mean better connections at both the stopover and BKK because it will arrive early to mid-morning.

Shenzhen or Hainan Airlines serving the Bay Area could work wonders, especially if HU will get its first B787s soon, so that it can mount nonstop flights between CAN and SFO (but then, I don't know what the impact would bring if there are 4 daily flights available from HKG).

As for UA to operate nonstop flights to secondary Chinese destinations, that would mean SFO and LAX will play key roles in this service as these cities have a lot of Chinese immigrants living near then, and it would mean that China-US flights will become much more abundant, making China a more accessible country to visit.

And for LH, I think a seasonal DUS or BER-SFO route would work; however, it would mean that LH should send an A343 or A346 to either destination as DUS operates mostly A333 flights while TXL operates mostly short-haul and European flights.

The invite: it's actually for us to be friends here. Click on Your Notifications and you will see there "Accept friend request".

Old December 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #92
Almaden

TAM to end Orlando - Rio

TAM Airlines from 06APR13 is suspending Rio de Janeiro – Orlando service, where it currently operates daily flight, on board Airbus A330-200 aircraft.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:25 AM   #93
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

A little heads-up:

Egyptair will start Toronto service from 2 June 2013, with the following schedule:

MS995 CAI2355 – 0645+1YYZ 77W x246
MS996 YYZ1245 – 0615+1CAI 77W x357

This route was supposed to be launched in 2011, but was postponed due to political instability.

Source

Old December 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #94
Almaden

Quote:
A little heads-up:

Egyptair will start Toronto service from 2 June 2013, with the following schedule:

MS995 CAI2355 – 0645+1YYZ 77W x246
MS996 YYZ1245 – 0615+1CAI 77W x357

This route was supposed to be launched in 2011, but was postponed due to political instability.

Source
According to routes, it will be a code share via LHR on Air Canada. (hmmm?)
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #95
Almaden

Cayman Airways at DFW

Cayman Airways (Grand Cayman) will resume nonstop, year-round flights from Grand Cayman to Dallas/Fort Worth starting on April 10, 2013. The bi-weekly flights will be scheduled Wednesdays and Saturdays for the following times:

KX flight 320 departs Grand Cayman at 08:30hr, arriving Dallas-Fort Worth 12:30hr

KX Flight 321 depafrts Dallas-Fort Worth at 13:50hr, arriving Grand Cayman 17:50hr

Cayman Airways operates four Boeing 737-300s and two de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #96
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
According to routes, it will be a code share via LHR on Air Canada. (hmmm?)
I think not. MS already has B77Ws in its fleet, so it has no reason to fly via LHR. Perhaps AC will instead codeshare on the full route.

Old December 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM   #97
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

SV will be starting YYZ in 2013 and LAX in 2014.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM   #98
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

And by the way, if you don't have it, Philippine Airlines now serves YYZ.

Old January 1st, 2013, 12:22 PM   #99
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8711

Aren't they banned form flying to the EU?
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:07 PM   #100
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

As of the moment, yes. But, PAL is seeking for an exemption to fly to the EU because it believes it is doing everything it can to serve even more Filipinos in Europe and Africa. To start, it is planning to fly to Istanbul first (by this year) before stepping back into Europe, similar to what its new Toronto service as a prelude to resume services to the East Coast of the US. Amid that development, though, the Philippines is on its way to removing both the Common Carriers Tax and Gross Philippine Billings Tax that will entice foreign carriers to fly to the Philippines, enhancing serious competition from Philippine carriers.