daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #21
Mundial
Registred User

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulabog jalaur View Post
Is this steel truss the original one, or already replace?
This should be original. By a renovation (who needed more than 15 years, finished in 2010) have a lot of revets been replaces.
O, and during the liberation in 1944 a V2 has fallen on the station, nowadays you can still see a kink in the roof (outside, inside it's hidden behind a ceilling).
All this according to http://www.davidsfonds.be/publisher/edition/detail.phtml?id=2908]this book.
Mundial no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #22
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3774

This thread needs a bump!
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #23
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Not just a bump, but more info as well. I was in Antwerp a month ago and it seems the tram map in this thread is out of date. Lots of work was underway, creating some new tram corridors, and afterwards I read they are also working underground, getting some of the old tunnels ready to be used.

Klausenburg liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #24
De Klauw

Likes (Received): 2455

This is a newer tram map:

Since the beginning of this thread two major extensions are opened: to Boechout handled by line 15 and to Wijnegem handled by lines 5 and 10. Also line 4 is extended a bit (from Ekstelaar to Silsburg), but that's just a tiny segment of 750 m involving the Dascottelei that link the Ekstelaar terminus to the pre-existing tramrails in the Herentalsebaan (so tram 4 could reach the Silsburg terminus).

There were also some reorganisations. Like line 2 is not going to the Left Bank anymore but to Merksem. Line 8 is abolished and partially replaced by line 9. Also the course of lines 4 and 12 are changed to fill the gab left by the abolishment of line 8.

New projects are underway. There is LIVAN:

This will finally open the subway section underneath the Turnhoutsebaan build 30 years ago but never went into service. It will be a direct link from the Astrid station (Antwerp Central station) to a P+R near Wommelgem.

Another major project is BRABO II, a long tramway to the north. This will improve the tramnetwork in the city centre itself and more specific the accessibility of 'Het Eilandje'. That's an upgraded city district with lot's of development but without access to the tram network. So that will be changed by this project. This is major project since it requires lot's of new tramway track in the city centre. So it's linked to the reconstruction of some streets, most notably the Italiëlei.

I have some video's about this project. They all handle a different segment (sorry, in Dutch only)

(BTW, this one is focused more on the square than on the new tramlines)

Last edited by De Klauw; April 17th, 2014 at 07:21 PM.
De Klauw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #25
Klausenburg

Great projects for Antwerp, indeed!
Old April 18th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #26
Silly_Walks

I took tram 10 from Centraal Station to Wijnegem Shopping Center because a little brochure in my hotel said the tram would take me there in 10 minutes. Having seen tram 10 struggle it's way through the city center, I thought to myself "no way that's possible", so I decided to check it out for myself.

It ended up taking about 35-45 minutes. I was surprised at the lack of segregation: for much of the route the tram shared it's track with cars. To add to the misery, the tram had to wait at red lights several times for many, many minutes in total. Simply having the ability to turn the cycle of traffic lights in their favor would really speed up the tram's exit out of the city center and through Deurne.
But that would not have solved the tram sharing it's track with cars in the very narrow city streets.

Imagine my surprise when I found out later that the tram had actually been riding on top of an unused tram tunnel, which lay underneath the Carnotstraat and Turnhoutsebaan.

Imagine my second surprise when I found out they were going to let tram 10 ride on ground level after the tunnel's opening. Does anyone know why? Will moving the other trams in the tunnel free up more space for tram 10 to speed up?
Will they finally let trams have control over the traffic light cycles?
Old April 18th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #27
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Imagine my second surprise when I found out they were going to let tram 10 ride on ground level after the tunnel's opening. Does anyone know why? Will moving the other trams in the tunnel free up more space for tram 10 to speed up?
Will they finally let trams have control over the traffic light cycles?
it was said, that the tunnel should be used for the fast connection and tram has to serve all stops, having little space between stops as it is at present. Therefore only every second of the already finished metro-stations should be opened. This, imho is a silly plan. The real reason may be to reduce costs for opening the tunnel finally by opening only every second station. The space between the already built pré-metro stations is small enough to substitute the whole tram-line and terminate it´s service.

Even if this tunnel is opened one day there is still another already finished tunnel, which is not discussed to be opened at all. It seems to be some kind of ideology against pré-metro.

Kind regards

tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #28
Silly_Walks

I can understand they wouldn't open the underground Carnot station, as it's just too close to Centraal Station. But the underground Drink station? Surely this should be opened?!
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:46 AM   #29
redstarcastles

Likes (Received): 759

Some recent pictures:

7058 & 7115 Antwerp 14 April 2014

7004 Antwerp 14 April 2014

7116 Antwerp 14 April 2014

7053 Antwerp 14 April 2014

More here:
http://smu.gs/1k4JwjU

Benonie liked this post
redstarcastles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #30
Klausenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post

I was surprised at the lack of segregation: for much of the route the tram shared it's track with cars.
As far as I know, there is segration on most of the route, the tram and bus lanes being elevated with ~10 cm above the other lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post

...there is still another already finished tunnel, which is not discussed to be opened at all.
Could you elaborate please ?
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #31
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klausenburg View Post
Could you elaborate please ?
There is a finished tunnel under Kerkstraat and Pothoekstraat, built to link the Schijnpoort-station with future Carnot-station. Stations are built at St. Willibrordus kerk and Stuivenberg.

http://www.urbanrail.net/eu/be/ant/antwerpen.htm

Kind regards

Old December 16th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #32
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19878

There still are plans and growing chance to open this last unused tunnel section in the future.

(Urbanrail.net)

The first new 43m long Flexity2 tram for Antwerp en Ghent has arrived in Ghent this weekend. Ten 43m Flexity2-trams and 28 of them are ordered for Antwerp. They will put in service on the busiest Premetro-line 15 from september this year.

Pictures: Het Nieuwsblad.be.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #33
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19878

Some pictures I took some time ago:

Premetrostation Van Eeden on the left bank:

Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #34
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Today, Line 8 extension from Florent Pauwels to Rondpunt Wommelgem and new part of premetro tunnel between Astrid and Muggenberglei is opened. Updated map from urbanrail.net:

Old April 18th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #35
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Impressive network for a city of it's size. How would rank Antwerp mass transit on a 0-10 scale?

dimlys1994, Benonie liked this post
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #36
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Do they plan to infill the stations between Astrid and Zegel? Seems like there schould be maybe 1 or 2 aditional stns usefull.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #37
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

Line 8 currently ends at Astrid and line 24 still runs parallel aboveground, so it is indeed a half baked tram line, but at least it's a first step.
Line 24 still serves the existing abouveground tram stops that are skipped by underground line 8.

It is scheduled in 2016 to open the eastern tunnel ramp trough Opera station.

When that happens, line 8 will replace line 24. In that case it is necessary to open all remaining stations.

Last edited by jdb.2; April 18th, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #38
Silly_Walks

I never saw the need for Carnot station. The distances between Drink and Astrid are so short, and transferring between lines can be done at Astrid. Carnot station only adds unnecessary time to everyone's journey.
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #39
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

In my opinion all tunnel sections and stations should be opened, except maybe Morckhoven because it's too close the tunnel exit ramp, there is already a tram stop before the tunnel entrance.

- According to my measurements the distance between Astrid and Drink is about 1km. In my opinion still too much in a densely populated area and one of the busiest public transport axis in Antwerp. It's makes more sense to have more stops there and less in the suburbs.
- People will certainly complain if the underground stations that correspond to the surface level stops are not opened (actually there already have been complaints now)
- Tax payer's money spent 30 years ago, it would be a waste if this infrastructure remained unused, it still requires maintenance even if it's not opened.

Edit:
Seems that the street entrance to Morckhoven station were never built, so opening it would be expensive. But the other stations could be opened at reasonable cost, they already have been set up as emergency exits.

Klausenburg, laurenske liked this post

Last edited by jdb.2; April 19th, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #40
tunnel owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
In my opinion all tunnel sections and stations should be opened, except maybe Morckhoven because it's too close the tunnel exit ramp, there is already a tram stop before the tunnel entrance.
Absolutely correct. Nice to hear that this tunnel finally will be used for it´s original purpose. The original plans intended to have a real metro and tunnels will be used first for pré-metro. Later they turned the idea into a Stadtbahn-like system like Hannover, Stuttgart and other german cities did the same. So having some tram-like distances between stops doesn´t matter, because it still is a tram (light-rail) and service will be faster and more reliable in tunnel anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb.2 View Post
Seems that the street entrance to Morckhoven station were never built, so opening it would be expensive. But the other stations could be opened at reasonable cost, they already have been set up as emergency exits.
As far as I remember it was build without any open cut, like some of the Paris metro-stations never opened, beeing built under ground. But what about branch to Foorplein? I think it is only possible to bring all lines into the tunnel if that branch will be opened too...

Kind regards