daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #41
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101797

How long are the teams and who's the manufacturer?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #42
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

3.46 meters.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:16 AM   #43
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19825

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Impressive network for a city of it's size.
Actually, this is the whole tram and premetro network, which is quite impressive, indeed.

(urbanrail.net)

Quote:
How would rank Antwerp mass transit on a 0-10 scale?
Only 6,5/10.

-Trams are too slow outside of the tunnels.
-There are still 50 year old trams running nowadays, because Flemish gouvernement places the orders way too late. New and longer trams are on the way, but not enough to serve the current tram extensions and passengers growth.
-There's no real night network.
-Lots of intercity and local trains serve Antwerp, but there's no real suburban train network.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:31 AM   #44
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Why the Trams are slow? Too many stops or old trains? How frequent are the trains to the surrounding suburbs?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:50 AM   #45
Benonie
Bike It!

Quote:
Why the Trams are slow? Too many stops or old trains?
-Too little and too small doors and high floors on old trams making getting in and out the tram more difficult.
-Trams share space with other traffic in the old city center.
-Too many and too long stops at traffic lights.
-Cars, bikes and pedestrians crossing tracks, even outside the center where trams have seperated tracks.
-Traffic congestion.

Quote:
How frequent are the trains to the surrounding suburbs.
That depends on the time of day/week (rush hour, late evening, weekend) and the destination (big cities, small cities, vilages).

It varies from 4 trains per hour to other major cities, 2 per hours to smaller cities and one per hour too smaller vilages, with some extra trains at rush hours.

At busy moments there are trains to Brussels every 10 minutes or so, small and slow commuter trains included.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:01 PM   #46
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Are there plans to speed up the trams and buses?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:58 PM   #47
Silly_Walks

Well, opening more of the tunnels will eliminate sharing roads with cars for a big part.

I think they will be creating lines with own right of way on roads like the Italiëlei, etc., but it's hard for me to find concrete plans and schedules. For example: here you can find tram tracks on Noorderbrug/laan, but they start out of nowhere, and there doesn't seem to be any service on it: http://goo.gl/maps/Eq0zi

If/how they are planning on speeding up existing sections of tram and bus lines, I don't know.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:41 PM   #48
Benonie
Bike It!

There will be a tram extension to the popular end trending 'Eilandje', in the north of Antwerp. Tram 7 should ride over that bridge in 2018.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:32 PM   #49
Silly_Walks

Indeed. As far as I know there are 2 tram lines scheduled for "het Eilandje":
http://eilandje.noorderlijn.be/planeilandje

As far as I know, neither of those will be going over the "Noorderbrug/laan" I mentioned earlier. Just to be clear.
Old April 24th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #50
Benonie
Bike It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
As far as I know, neither of those will be going over the "Noorderbrug/laan" I mentioned earlier. Just to be clear.
As far as I and Wikipedia know, trams will run over de Noorderlaanbrug, the tracks you linked in your previous post.

Quote:
Er komen tramsporen van de Sint-Pietersvliet over de Rijnkaai Zuid en de Londen- en Amsterdamstraat tot de Noorderplaats, met een aftakking langs de Kattendijkdok-Oostkaai naar het nieuwe Havenhuis. In 2010 werden op de vernieuwde Noorderlaanbrug reeds tramsporen gelegd en de verlichtingspalen zijn voorzien op een bovenleiding.

It's north of Eilandje, so no trams will ride here soon, I'm afraid.
Old April 24th, 2015, 01:45 AM   #51
Silly_Walks

From what I can gather, there will be a tram line 1 which will use the bridge. It is to run from Bolivarplaats to the Havana-site:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlijn_1_(Antwerpen)

Tram line 7 will not run over this bridge, so no idea why you said "Tram 7 should ride over that bridge in 2018"

Benonie liked this post
Old April 24th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #52
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Link broken, hopefully corrected:
nl.wikipedia.org: Tramlijn 1 (Antwerpen)

IMHO it would be better if line 24 and 8 would continue to run in parallell, and the rest of the premetro station kept closed. For those who live west of Muggenberglei (and not near Zegel) the travel time to the central area is good enough, and for those who live east of Muggenberglei the travel times to the central area is kept quite a bit shorter by not stopping at the not opened premetro stations inbetween.

Compare with line 9 v.s. 11. They don't serve the exact same are but for example Plantin on line 9 is just a block away from Plantin & Moretuslei on line 11. Yet line 11 has 7 stops between Berchem Station and Antwerpen Centraal while line 9 only has 3 stops between Berchem Station and Diamant (="Antwerpen Centraal south", sort of).

If the old trams are in good technical state it could perhaps be a good idea to replace some of the doors? In Gothenburg in Sweden we also have trams that soon will be 50 years old (mainly because the new trams from Ansaldo Breda are crap...). About half of the two series of old trams (made from mid 60-s to early 70-s) are refurbished including some replaced doors giving much faster passenger flow.

P.S. re the question of rating Antwerpens public transport system on a 1-10 scale: I've only been in Antwerpen for five days last summer. My impression is that the premetro parts are clean and fast. Many central surface level tram lines in the central area (for example more or less the whole line 11) is terribly slow. More segregated lanes and higher priority at traffic lights would probably improve the situation a lot. In the places where there isn't place for segregated lanes it could perhaps be possible to make some improvements by adjusting the traffic lights so the green periods for (private cars) entering the shared sections is shorter than the green periods for (private cars) exiting the shared landes. That could maybe reduce slow/stillstanding private cars due to traffic cognestion.

Benonie, Silly_Walks liked this post
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #53
Benonie
Bike It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
From what I can gather, there will be a tram line 1 which will use the bridge. It is to run from Bolivarplaats to the Havana-site:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlijn_1_(Antwerpen)

Tram line 7 will not run over this bridge, so no idea why you said "Tram 7 should ride over that bridge in 2018"
I think you are right this time. I did confuse line 1 with line 7.
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #54
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benonie View Post
I think you are right this time. I did confuse line 1 with line 7.
Does anyone have pictures of new Zegel station?
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #55
Benonie
Bike It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
Does anyone have pictures of new Zegel station?
Some pictures from the Belgian forum member Vasonline, taken during a tunnel walk some days before the opening:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasonline View Post

And a video made by PeterCrea on the very first day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCrea View Post
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #56
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3766

Station Zegel looks very good.
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #57
BlackEagle17

Likes (Received): 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
IMHO it would be better if line 24 and 8 would continue to run in parallell, and the rest of the premetro station kept closed. For those who live west of Muggenberglei (and not near Zegel) the travel time to the central area is good enough, and for those who live east of Muggenberglei the travel times to the central area is kept quite a bit shorter by not stopping at the not opened premetro stations inbetween.
The problem isn't really theoretical travel time, it's the fact that at rush hours the Turnhoutsebaan gets insanely congested, not only with cars but also with interlocal busses. Opening three out of the four unfinished stations (not Morckhoven) would only slow the tram down by a maximum of five minutes, but serve a much larger amount of people.

Quote:
If the old trams are in good technical state it could perhaps be a good idea to replace some of the doors? In Gothenburg in Sweden we also have trams that soon will be 50 years old (mainly because the new trams from Ansaldo Breda are crap...). About half of the two series of old trams (made from mid 60-s to early 70-s) are refurbished including some replaced doors giving much faster passenger flow.
Some of the old PCC cars have been refurbished in the 1990s and have wider doors, however the steps do still slow down the passenger flow.
Old April 26th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #58
Benonie
Bike It!

A video about the next project: De Noorderlijn (Northern Line)

Old May 9th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #59
Benonie
Bike It!

New Flaxity 2 trams riding in Ghent. Coming to Antwerp soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post

IMG_6246 by botgregory, on Flickr

IMG_6227 by botgregory, on Flickr

IMG_6242 by botgregory, on Flickr

IMG_6230 by botgregory, on Flickr
More good news: the Flemish gouvernment decided to order 40 extra Flexity 2 trams for both cities, Ghent (16) and Antwerp (24), on top of the 48 trams which are deliverd now.
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #60
Benonie
Bike It!

Tram Fan's ride on the complete route of tram line 3, which goes through the metrotunnel under the city center and the river Scheldt: