daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
dars-dm
Cotton

Likes (Received): 16857

Skyscraper as a city

We all know, that a skyscraper can accomodate tens of thousands of people. But what about building skyscrapers as cities, so that all citizens in the building could work in it, and also there would be city administration, police, a fire dept, a hospital - all in a single skyscraper, and there's no other buildings in this "city"?
Как только проедят напечатанные амерами баблосы, нефтя будет падвацать, хас папиисяд, а толяр - пасто диривянных. И ражко сразу развалиццо. Патаму шо она сичаз разваливаиццо, хотя нефтя ещё не падвацать
dars-dm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #2
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

i could imagine a mega structure like that within a city, like a city in a city, on the edge of some megacities in asia for example, but completely standalone seems even more utopic. thinking about the visionary proposals for tokyo etc they all have been within the borders of the city, but not really in the central of the city.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
CanadianDemon

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by dars-dm View Post
We all know, that a skyscraper can accomodate tens of thousands of people. But what about building skyscrapers as cities, so that all citizens in the building could work in it, and also there would be city administration, police, a fire dept, a hospital - all in a single skyscraper, and there's no other buildings in this "city"?
Something like that is in Alaska If I'm not mistaken.
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:41 AM   #4
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

There are a number of communities that have scaled down versions of this with the majority of residents living in 1 building. I suppose we haven't seen it on a major scale, but speculate it might happen first in an isolated mining region like western Australia or northern Canada. It would make far more sense to build one giant building housing all employees and services rather than building an entire town, roads, sewers, etc.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; October 1st, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #5
ssjx168
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The building is too high , should pay attention to the construction of facilities , such as health care, primary school students go to school , the elderly exercise .
ssjx168 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Skyscrapers are big enough to be their own little town/city. Sears, Empire State Building and the old WTC had their own zip codes so what more like the megatalls we have now. That would be interesting.

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #7
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
You mean something like the Shimizu TRY 2004 Mega-City Pyramid ?

wiki
Quote:
The Shimizu TRY 2004 Mega-City Pyramid is a proposed project for construction of a massive pyramid over Tokyo Bay in Japan. The structure would be about 14 times higher than the Great Pyramid at Giza, and would house 750,000 people. The structure would be 730 meters (2,395 feet) above mean sea level, including 5 stacked trusses, each with similar dimensions to that of the great pyramid of Giza. This pyramid would help answer Tokyo's increasing lack of space, although the project would only handle 1/47th of the Greater Tokyo Area's population.[1]
The proposed structure is so large that it cannot be built with currently available materials, due to their weight. The design relies on the future availability of super-strong lightweight materials based on carbon nanotubes.
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #8
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

or something like this?

Minas Tirith (Lord of the Rings)
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #9
ThatGuyYouMetOnce

Likes (Received): 11

Or, anyone remember this?

ThatGuyYouMetOnce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #10
ChibaTadayoshi
Penikmat Arsitektur

Likes (Received): 1285

Oh Oh... the beloved sim elevators
ChibaTadayoshi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Skizo91
Photographer

Likes (Received): 168

That would be pretty awesome.. I guess the best way to do it would be an incredibly massive doughnut shaped building.

This is a district in my city, consisting of typical commieblocks

Imagine that whole circle road area being one huge building, 300 meters high, 100 meters thick, and all the way around (that's about as big as is realistically possible). Would easily accommodate over 200,000 people.

Last edited by Skizo91; October 30th, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Skizo91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #12
elculo

Likes (Received): 226

yeah, and 99% of them never see any sunlight...

elculo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #13
gamestation

I always want to be a part of Skyscraper.I agree with you that "consisting of typical commieblocks" Review All time favorite tekken game on hd.
gamestation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #14
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
It would have to be the ultimate mixed-used structure where people could live, work, and play with restaurants, shopping centers, movie theaters, large open spaces to serve as gyms and parks as well as a variety of companies for people to work at all social strata. I imagine wealthy people would live at the top and not so wealthy people toward the bottom.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #15
Skizo91
Photographer

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by elculo View Post
yeah, and 99% of them never see any sunlight...

you stupid or?
Skizo91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #16
tolvarena
Convicto Balletí

never! That is a horrible idea.
tolvarena no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #17
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

The "Ultimate" example
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #18
Brad555

Skyscraper as a city

Besides making cities more affordable and architecturally interesting, tall buildings are greener than sprawl, and they foster social capital and creativity.
Brad555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #19
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

How can a single building actually have its own ZIP Code? Whether it's office, residential, etc., I don't think this would apply to hotels, though.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #20
elculo

Likes (Received): 226

Messeturm (60308), Opernturm (60306) and The Squaire (60600), all in Frankfurt, are buildings with their own zip codes, but I think they are the only ones in Germany.
elculo no está en línea   Reply With Quote