daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #61
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6463

That is the kind of architecture I'd love to see in Toronto! I'm sure some people won't like it, but it is thought provoking architecture that even the kind of person who doesn't give a rats arse about architecture would have an opinion about.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #62
Phobos

The models have nothing to do with the floorplans.I guess it will end up being more linear overall.
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #63
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 690

Larger version of render

ChesterCopperpot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #64
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Running with scissors...

More Grief for Mirvish/Gehry

Quote:
Mirvish King West plan needs changes, planner says; Jennifer Keesmaat cites 'scale and massing' of condo towers as concerns

CBC News Posted: Dec 16, 2013 12:40 PM ET| Last Updated: Dec 16, 2013 3:04 PM ET

The city's chief planner says David Mirvish's plan to bring three massive condo towers to King Street West must be scaled back before she can support the project.

The controversial plan involves demolishing the Princess of Wales Theatre and four heritage warehouse buildings to make way for three high rise condos designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry. Each of the towers would stand more than 80 storeys and be located on the north side of King Street West just east of John Street.

The plan has raised concerns about neighbourhood congestion, particularly for transit users who already struggle to squeeze aboard the King streetcar during rush hour.

City staff rejected the proposal in its current form, a decision theatre impresario Mirvish has appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board. The proposal will be up for debate at Monday's council meeting, with staff seeking direction about how the city should respond to the OMB appeals.

[...]
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #65
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Jennifer Keesmaat is a small town girl with provincial ideas. Why she was hired as the chief planner of a big city is beyond belief. She's the problem, not this proposal. It's time she step aside so the city can reach its potential.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

cruzin4u liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #66
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

you are oversimplifying the issue to the extreme. you fail to realize that this project goes against almost every single planning bylaw this city has, which have been meticulously set up over the last decade through plenty of public consultation and council votes. It also heavily goes across major planning principals, with FAR ratios well above what is considered a maximum reasonable limit, shadowing (though I know you don't much care for that, and neither do I truthfully), and just general bad planning. While this project gives vision, I don't feel it is a project that is approvable in its current state. It is possible to approve it while it still has vision, but the current rendition is a little misguided.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #67
cruzin4u

Likes (Received): 313

Too much politics in this city, hence why nothing gets done.

Council voted against this proposal, so it looks as if it's going to the Ontario Municipal Board which, might I add, many councillors want abolished.
cruzin4u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 01:31 AM   #68
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
you are oversimplifying the issue to the extreme. you fail to realize that this project goes against almost every single planning bylaw this city has, which have been meticulously set up over the last decade through plenty of public consultation and council votes. It also heavily goes across major planning principals, with FAR ratios well above what is considered a maximum reasonable limit, shadowing (though I know you don't much care for that, and neither do I truthfully), and just general bad planning. While this project gives vision, I don't feel it is a project that is approvable in its current state. It is possible to approve it while it still has vision, but the current rendition is a little misguided.
You're making a lot of assumptions about what I know and what I don't know. I'm aware of everything you've mentioned. It's plain to me (and others) that the current bylaws are woefully inadequate, out of date, and are doing more to tie a noose around this city's neck than anything else. It's almost commonplace that a proposal massively shoots past what the regulations allow. How on earth are they meaningful any more? They're NOT!

Too many people seem to think that the regulations we have are gospel when it's the regulations that are the problem. They speak to a very rigid idea of what Toronto should be and, quite frankly, I never agreed with them. City planners should be feverishly working on new regulations that will serve Toronto for the next 10 years rather than blindly following rules that make little sense.

Keesmaat is just another in a long line of people who tow the line rather than recognizing that this city is morphing into a vastly different city than it was. We need people who are capable of recognizing where Toronto is going not people who want it to remain 2005 forever. Btw, City Council is stocked with a bunch of dinosaurs for the most part.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 22nd, 2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 01:34 AM   #69
FloripaNation
No creio no que no vejo

Likes (Received): 11310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot View Post
Larger version of render

Messy design, so much information
Old December 22nd, 2013, 01:58 AM   #70
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloripaNation View Post
Messy design, so much information
You realize those are conceptual and it's Gehry? People either love Gehry designs (Bilbao Guggenheim) or they hate them. I take it you're in the 2nd camp.

Old May 28th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #71
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 690

So here's the redesign - we've lost a tower - but gained height on the taller tower to 304.3m (so close to 1000 feet)

Second building is 82 storeys

desertpunk, cruzin4u, xXFallenXx liked this post
ChesterCopperpot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #72
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Excellent news! Will move this one up!
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #73
cruzin4u

Likes (Received): 313

I kind of expected the towers to be "dumbed" down. Not too happy with the way they look now - definitely a downward spiral in terms of architecture. I am happy with the height, but still - I fear there will be more "dumbing down" of the towers once they hit the market.

Finally, a supertall for Toronto - about damn time!

Additional photos:

desertpunk, xXFallenXx liked this post

Last edited by cruzin4u; May 28th, 2014 at 03:17 AM.
cruzin4u no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #74
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Yep, for the tallest tower, Gehry essentially flaired a conventional box while the shorter tower shows much more verve. Hopefully the taller one will get a bit more plastic since that's Gehry's schtick...and TO is his home town after all...
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #75
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

could someone rename the title from "Projectcore" to "Mirvish+Gehry Toronto"?

Thats the official project name as of right now.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #76
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Yep, for the tallest tower, Gehry essentially flaired a conventional box while the shorter tower shows much more verve. Hopefully the taller one will get a bit more plastic since that's Gehry's schtick...and TO is his home town after all...
The compromise design is still nice, but what a let down. He gave us a masterpiece, a gift, and we let a rule book trump common sense. Shame on you Toronto.

Last edited by isaidso; May 29th, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #77
Ramako

Likes (Received): 120

A couple more shots of Mirvish+Gehry from SLOCRO at Urban Toronto:

Ramako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #78
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

I'm curious to see some renders, expecially about that "waterscape" feature on the tallest tower.
If you ask me, these buildings are better looking than those three sore thumbs incoherent proposals we got early.
I love how they met the CN Tower in this pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin4u View Post
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #79
isaidso
the new republic

The staggered height is the only thing I like better with this re-work. It's lost a lot of architectural detail, the towers don't flow as well, and the podium is nowhere near as cohesive. This is down a number of notches from the original. I'm hoping for a 3rd revision back to the original concept:

Gorgeous:

Old May 28th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #80
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1186

Facade looks a bit like Beekman's Place from NYC.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
gehry, mirvish, mirvish king west, project core, toronto