daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #961
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
Derenk is the home of cornels (Cornaceae). People here made jam or firewater from the berries. The wood of the plant was appropriate to wood-turning. In the village the handles made of this kind of wood was popular. The name of the village is Slavonic: Deren - Deryn - Dren – Drenka menas cornel. The castle of Szád is standing on the top of the mountain (460 m) which played an important role in the life of the village. The settlement always belonged to the castle. First it was a regal lordship then the property of the Bebek family, later Csáky family and finally the Esterházy’s. The census in 1427 said that Derenk was a significant village that time. 23 socages paid tax for the landlord. The population of the settlement decreased appreciably during the Mongol invasion and Rákóczi’s War of Independence. The plague also decimated the population in 1711. Between 1715 and 1720 nobody lived in Derenk. Later as the result of a band and the Esterházy family’s effort goral peasants arrived to the village. As the archival documents say the people arrived to Derenk between 1717 and 1720 were Polish: ’Anno 1717 per Polonis advenas impopulatum’. The above mentioned facts enhanced that the Polish nationality is the earliest one in Hungary and these people maintain the respect abilities for 300 years. In 1833 there were 56 houses in Derenk and 507 mainly catholic people lived there. 20 years later, Elek Fényes registered 418 inhabitants, 407 catholic and 11 reformed believers. In 1941 the village has 443 livers. During the World War II. Horthy Miklós governor wanted to establish a hunting area here. That’s why he decided to emigrate the population of the village. This meant richer lands but the cascading of the community. In 1943 the story of the village finished, everything was packed to deliver somewhere else even the church of the village, too. The population of Derenk spread to Emőd, Mezőnyárád, Szendrő, Tiszaszederkény, Tóharaszt,Vatta, Büdöskútpuszta, Martonyi, Ládbesenyő-Andrástanya, Sajószentpéter and fifty families moved to Emőd-Istvánmajor. It is a sensation that the people of Derenk still have the 18th century archaic linguistic characteristics. To preserve these values there is a church-ale organized by the ethnic government of the Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county every year which is called the Derenki Búcsú.
Derenk (1940)

Quote:
The rejuvenation of the village started in 2007. The Polish Ethnical Goverment played an important role in this process. As the result of the successful tenders the renovating of the school and the cemetery started in 2008. At the building of the school there is a label in three languages (Hungarian, Polish and English) which signs that there is an exhibition about the people of Derenk and their everydays, customs, culture. In the cemetery symbolic crosses shows the beds of the ancestors. On the territory of the old-time portal there are little boards showing the name of the owner and the date of their emigration. The Derenki church-ale is hold in October at the time of the celebration of Derenk’s patron saint.
Source

Derenk local dialect (gwara)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4FzcWTuuoRA

More information available in Polish here.

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, Rombi liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; December 4th, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #962
JanVL

Likes (Received): 81882

https://audiovis.nac.gov.pl

Polish-Latvian border

Polish-Lithuanian border, 1938

Exchanging political prisoners on the Polish-Lithuanian border, 1925

Correction of the Polish-Slovak border, Polish troops entering new territory, 1938

Polish-Free City of Gdansk border, 1927

Polish-Czechoslovak border

First Polish train crossing the border after renovation works, 1930

Marking the Polish-Romanian border, 1929

Destroyed Polish emblem after a German attack on the Polish-German border, 1933

Polish-German border, 1932

German shepherd looking out for Germans

Polish border guards meeting the Soviets on the Polish-Soviet border

Cross at the Polish-Soviet border, 1934

Meanwhile a party on the Polish-Hungarian border, 1939.

Old December 16th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #963
RS_UK-PL

Ralf-Stetysz - a Polish car manufacturer. It was formed in 1924, when Count Stefan Tyszkiewicz started a small automotive firm "Automobiles Ralf Stetysz" in Boulogne near Paris. The name was an acronym of the Polish language name "Rolniczo Automobilowo-Lotnicza Fabryka Stefana Tyszkiewicza".

The Rally of Poland (1925)

Paris Motor Show (1927)

The Monte Carlo Rally (1929)

Count Stefan Tyszkiewicz died in a bomb explosion constructed for the Polish underground in Warsaw (1942). Please see the article - link.

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; December 16th, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #964
JanVL

Gdynia, 30s

https://www.facebook.com/Przedwojenn...type=3&theater

Rombi liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #965
JanVL

Polish Pm36 locomotive, which won the award at the Expo of technics in Paris in 1937

urbanista25, Rombi liked this post
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #966
JanVL

Krakow main square

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, Rombi liked this post
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #967
Rombi

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
I'm pretty sure this building does not exist anymore and the place the photo was taken is todays is avenue John Paul II.
Bo właśnie w podróży, rano, w obcym mieście, zanim druga kawa zacznie działać, doświadcza się najmocniej dziwności własnego, pozornie banalnego bytu. Podróż jest po prostu stosunkowo zdrowym rodzajem narkotyku.
Andrzej Stasiuk

Last edited by Rombi; March 15th, 2016 at 06:42 PM.
Rombi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #968
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
Polish Pm36 locomotive, which won the award at the Expo of technics in Paris in 1937

so sad that WWII and the aftermath crippled Poland's development for over half a century, we were advancing nicely demographically and economically. sometimes wonder if it will ever recover.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #969
Durise

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
Krakow (fortunately, it didn't change too much)

Just enjoyed watching all of these historic images! Yes not much changed the building, the streets. I was just wondering to see since that older time buildings and streets were designed and structured very accordingly to the plan.

urbanista25 liked this post
Durise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #970
Vaner

Likes (Received): 501

I'll try to help Jan in his efforts to revitalize this thread. For a start, here is a nice British newsreel introducing three must-see spots in the "old country": the Tatras, Warsaw and Gdynia:

And here are some scenes from the daily life of the capital:

Just to give you a sense of what you are looking at :

- The first shots are from the Old Town.

- 0:38 is, I believe, a short glimpse at the old Horse Market in Praga district.

- 1:12 to 2:45 is the glorious Karcelak ; a huge open-air market in Wola district, offering everything, from furniture and ironware, through food and drinks, to pigeons, dogs, guns, fake passports, thugs-for-hire, and, last but not least, delicious Warsaw pretzels

- 2:45 to 3:30 shows musical bands and common tradesmen who would wander around the city, hoping to find potential customers.

- The rest of the movie are just misc scenes from all around Warsaw, showing daily life in all its forms and colours. Notable sights include: the busiest place in the city: the crossroads of Marszałkowska and Al. Jerozolimskie, with the old train station, called the Viennese Station, on the left (at 4:52); Al. Ujazdowskie (at 5:13); and the Royal Baths Park (at 5:30).

Enjoy!
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:21 PM   #971
Vaner

For today, an interesting newsreel offering a tour of the pride of the Polish commercial fleet of the 1930s: MS Piłsudski.

Now, I admit it is not exactly Queen Mary or Normandie, but one has to bear in mind that at the time, Poland was still a relative newcomer to the transatlantic club, compared to e.g. England, France or even Germany. Still, Piłsudski and its twin ship, MS Batory, quickly became a source of great pride for the Poles. Their memory is still very much alive today, just like the memory of Queen Mary is still alive in England and that of Normandie - in France.

MS Piłsudski and MS Batory were built in 1935/1936 in Trieste, Italy. They might not have been the biggest ships on the Atlantic (each could carry around 800 passengers), but they were the quickest: a single transatlantic crossing from Gdynia to New York took them only 8 days.

When the war broke out, both ships were in America. They subsequently joined the war effort, carrying troops and cargo. Of the two, Batory was the luckier. It survived the war and resumed passenger services in the 40s. MS Piłsudski, on the other hand, was sank during its very first military mission in November 1939.

Enjoy!

Old March 24th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #972
Vaner

For today, I have found another Warsaw-themed movie, this time from an even earlier period: 1920. That makes it interesting in several respects:

- First, at that time, Poland was at war against USSR, some evidence of which has been captured by the camera: we can see soldiers guarding the Belvedere Palace, which had then served as the HQ for the chief-of-staff (and head of state), marshall Piłsudski (at 1:15); we can also see a cavalry unit (at 1:24), and the Warsaw Citadel (at 3:38). These last shots are absolutely unique. They show the Citadel in its original condition, shortly before it was surrounded by the new residential district of Żoliborz.

- Another unique detail which can be seen in the movie is a grand Orthodox temple dedicated to Alexander Nevsky (at 2:16). It was constructed shortly before WW1 in the middle of the Saxon Square on the orders of the Russian authorities. It was widely regarded by the Varsovians as a symbol of the Tsarist regime, and, as a result, very much disliked, despite its rather impressive architecture. This negative public perception proved fatal to the building. It was demolished in 1924-1926, just 12 years after its completion.

The video comes from a very interesting youtube channel Pathe1939, which I highly recommend to anyone interested in Interbellum Poland.

And for a dessert, I have found this little treat :

It is a sequence from one of the first Polish comedies, entitled Antoś's first visit in Warsaw. I know it is not exactly interbellum (it was shot in 1908, which explains why the dialogues are written in Russian); nor is it exactly about architecture. But I leave it here cuz I find it quite funny .

The plot is simple: Antoś, who is apparently an early Warsaw equivalent of Mr Bean, finds himself in Warsaw for the first time, and decides to have some fun. And so he does what every good-natured chap in his position would do: he hits the town, makes new friends, chats up some ladies and consumes excessive amounts of booze. Sadly, his new friends turn out to be rather dubious individuals, as they rob him at the first opportunity. But that, believe it or not, is not his biggest problem. His biggest problem is a white corset left behind in his flat by one of the ladies; a damning proof of his nighttime excesses which he needs to get rid of before his wife arrives early in the morning...

...all of which proves that the challenges faced by modern men are not that different from those that troubled our 1908 predecessors .

Enjoy!

Last edited by Vaner; March 24th, 2016 at 11:43 PM.
Vaner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #973
RS_UK-PL

Quote:
Electoral districts where representatives of ethnic minorities won

Pink - Blok Mniejszości Narodowych (BMN; English: Bloc of National Minorities; Belarusian: Блёк нацыянальных меньшасьцяў, Bliok nacyjanałnych mieńšaściaŭ; Ukrainian: Блок національних меншин, Blok Natsional'nykh Menshyn; German: Block der Nationalen Minderheiten; Yiddish: בלאָק פון נאַשאַנאַל מינאָריטיעס, Blok fon Nashonal Minorities), was a political party in the Second Polish Republic, representing a coalition of various ethnic minorities in Poland, primarily Ukrainians, Belarusians, Jews and Germans. Party leader - Yitzhak Gruenbaum

Orange - Ukrainian Agrarian party (Ukrainska khliborobska partiia, or UAP). A numerically small liberal-democratic party representing the national and class interests of the Ukrainian peasantry

Yellow - Committee of United National Jewish Parties
Map of Poland in 1919 (before incorporation of the eastern territories with significant minorities)

Source

As of 1919, about 80% inhabitants of Polish state (highlighted in orange) were ethnic Poles.

1000 Polish markas note

PS. See map of the Duchy of Warsaw - here

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; April 14th, 2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #974
thebig C

Likes (Received): 322

Hey Gang

Greetings from Dublin

Can I just express my gratitude to everybody who has posted here. I have have spent the past couple of nights trawling through amazing images of a lost world. Most of the photos are interesting and beautiful. All of them are sad as they are frozen in a more innocent time unaware of the grim events which were just about to unfold.

Still, I guess much of history is like that. I know in Ireland we have our fair share of horrors. That and the fact that the Irish and Poles spent many years trying to attain freedom gives us something of a common bond.

I have gotten to know and become friends with many Polish people who have settled in Dublin. I think thats why I have an interest in Polish history.

With that in mind perhaps somebody here could answer a quick quick question. I had read that the Polish delegation which negotiated the border with the Soviet Union were not necessarily well disposed to the Polish Army which had fought the Polish Soviet War. Apparently they could have looked for greater concessions at a time when the Soviet Union was weakened and fighting Nationalists on several fronts from the Baltic, through Ukraine and right across the Caucasus.

This seemed rather obvious to me when I looked at the border in Northern Ukraine which was located at a very minor River......just a few Km away the Sluch River would have actually been a much more natural border, being longer and wider. And, an infinitely more defensible boundary. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Many thanks and best wishes

C

JanVL liked this post
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #975
Sentyme
KlejnotNilu

Likes (Received): 352

I don't have any extensive knowledge about this, but what I know is that there were two political camps: nationalist (represented by Roman Dmowski) and 'Piłsudki's Camp', later named Sanacja. Piłsudski wanted to restore old borders of Commonwealth and create federation of central-eastern european countries under the polish headship, so that this federation could actually have any power to compete against Soviet Union and Germany. But it wasn't the best time for such ideas, since Austria-Hungary just fell aparat by being actually pulled apart by numerous nationalities and European nations also became quite nationalist. During the negotations with Soviet Union, Poland could easily demand more lands in the east, but nationalists weren't really willing to take it, since they wanted more of monoethnic population. With all the lands in the east, huh, polish nationality would state maybe 50% of whole population. Anyway, prospect of the future during the interwar period was really bad anyways..
Sentyme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:09 PM   #976
RS_UK-PL

Source
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:40 AM   #977
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2088

Quote:
Ralf-Stetysz - a Polish car manufacturer. It was formed in 1924, when Count Stefan Tyszkiewicz started a small automotive firm "Automobiles Ralf Stetysz" in Boulogne near Paris. The name was an acronym of the Polish language name "Rolniczo Automobilowo-Lotnicza Fabryka Stefana Tyszkiewicza".

That is a beauty.

Quote:

Count Stefan Tyszkiewicz died in a bomb explosion constructed for the Polish underground in Warsaw (1942). Please see the article - link.
I think about that whenever I look at the extraordinary photos on this thread. What happened to these people in the war? Under the Soviets? A world that is gone, but still seems so close at times

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:59 AM   #978
JanVL

I do as well. When you see pictures of 1939 you get this double feeling: it looks beautiful, but 1 in 5 chances those people died tragically.

Nice to see the thread is alive again. I'll happily post more soon as well

TimothyR liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:58 AM   #979
JanVL

Balloons

Warsaw

1934, Gordon Bennett championship

German participants

Polish army

https://www.facebook.com/narodowe.ar...53805737289032