daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum

North American Skyscrapers Forum ģ Canada | United States | Balt / Wash DC | Chicago | Florida | Miami | Los Angeles | New York City | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle | Tampa Bay Area | Toronto | Texas | Southeast | Westcoast | Midwest | Northeast

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
merrychristmas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

which north american city is currently building the most high rise buildings?

I am interested to know which north american city is building the most high rises. I have noticed that Toronto is building a lot, but knowing how american cities are larger, toronto may not be building the most. Which city do you think is building the most high rises?

ChuckScraperMiami#1, molehead liked this post
merrychristmas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Toronto3

Likes (Received): 10

Toronto is actually the fifth largest city in north america and the largest in Canada. i dont believe Chicago or Los Angeles are building nearly as many buildings but Mexico City and New York City may be close to the number Toronto is building. Not entirely sure. From there im not as educated but i believe Panama is building lots down there.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Toronto3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #3
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
What tower is under construction (currently 8-10 floors up already) in the first two shots of your last post?
That would be MyBrickell. (See below)

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1606 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1604 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

CSC_1621 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #4
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Actually, right now it's Toronto!
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old October 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 243

American cities are bigger than Canadian ones, but Toronto is actually building more highrises than New York. New York is built out.

Rogue Linguist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Peterlee
Peter Lee

Likes (Received): 2

Toronto is the place where most number of high rise building are under construction:
Toronto: 132 high rise buildings under construction
Mexico City: 88 high rise buildings under construction
New York: 86 high rise buildings under construction
Chicago: 17 high rise buildings under construction

Peterlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #7
kwoldtimer

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterlee View Post
Toronto is the place where most number of high rise building are under construction:
Toronto: 132 high rise buildings under construction
Mexico City: 88 high rise buildings under construction
New York: 86 high rise buildings under construction
Chicago: 17 high rise buildings under construction
I think Panama City would be up there as well. Perhaps not as many as Toronto, but probably more than Mexico City.

kwoldtimer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #8
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

I don't know the population of Toronto, but I'm sure it's many times that of San Francisco (800,000 in the city). While San Francisco may soon have 5 or 6 highrises (and possibly one supertall) under construction, it won't win any "most" contests except maybe one: the city whose downtown and skyline may be MOST changed in the next decade by highrise construction. Here is a graphic done by "LWR" over at SSP showing the impact of planned and approved highrises in the South of Market area of the city (it doesn't even include a few buildings in other parts of town)--they are the slightly ghostly green buildings whose height and overall massing is shown as permitted by the planning code (in downtown SF, buildings tend to rise as high as the city will allow):

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...24868&page=203

The white supertall is the Transbay Transit Tower which is fully designed and approved and could start construction, market for rental of its space permitting. Otherwise, in slightly less ghostly (than green) white are seen fully approved buildings likely to be built over the next couple of years.

Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto3 View Post
Toronto is actually the fifth largest city in north america and the largest in Canada. i dont believe Chicago or Los Angeles are building nearly as many buildings but Mexico City and New York City may be close to the number Toronto is building. Not entirely sure. From there im not as educated but i believe Panama is building lots down there.
Los Angeles may be building as much or more square feet but not as highrises. In spite of highrise construction in recent years, it's still not so much a highrise city because of the multiple commercial and business centers, and the plethora of land for large but not tall buildings.

Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #10
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I think Panama City would be up there as well. Perhaps not as many as Toronto, but probably more than Mexico City.
Panama City had their big boom in the last decade along with Miami. Miami has another boom happening now, though not as big. Does Panama City still have a boom going on?

My photo threads:

Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM   #11
minsamol

Likes (Received): 61

NYC without a doubt!

image hosted on flickr

One57 Rises Above USS Maine Monument by Dashafantasca, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; December 8th, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
minsamol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:11 PM   #12
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsamol View Post
NYC without a doubt!
Really? On what basis do you say this?

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog...k-like-in-2020

My photo threads:

Old October 25th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #13
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10215

Toronto by raw numbers but NYC has more impressive projects IMO.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #14
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas
Likes (Received): 694

While not building the most highrises in North America, as it is obviously much smaller than cities like NYC and Toronto, I've gotta give props to Austin. It has been on a skyscraper binge the last few years, and currently has several highrises approved, promising a drastic skyline change over the next few.

jcastro805 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #15
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Miami 2020

This is still only part of what's coming. In this video, they are only laying out what's coming around a particular condo they are promoting.

My photo threads:

Old October 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Toronto by raw numbers but NYC has more impressive projects IMO.
And by height!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #17
kwoldtimer

Likes (Received): 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Panama City had their big boom in the last decade along with Miami. Miami has another boom happening now, though not as big. Does Panama City still have a boom going on?
Just saw your post. I think Panama City has begun to slow down a bit, but the amount of highrise construction remains astonishing. The joys of year after year of 10% economic growth and an urban geography that obliges them to build up.

kwoldtimer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #18
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I don't know the population of Toronto, but I'm sure it's many times that of San Francisco (800,000 in the city). While San Francisco may soon have 5 or 6 highrises (and possibly one supertall) under construction, it won't win any "most" contests except maybe one: the city whose downtown and skyline may be MOST changed in the next decade by highrise construction.
The Old City of Toronto has a population of 736,775 so its similar in size to San Francisco. The metropolitan and regional populations of each are also similar. The only difference between Toronto and San Francisco is that Toronto decided to amalgamate with adjacent cities, while San Francisco did not.

Based on your rendering, it looks like San Francisco will have lots of change to its downtown skyline. As impressive as that is, Toronto has far more buildings proposed for its downtown than San Francisco. There are 29 skyscrapers planned just for Toronto's Entertainment District alone. Add another 15 to the southern fringe of the CBD, another 15 to the east, and then another 30-40 in the rest of the downtown.

Sorry, but its not even close. San Francisco would need to quintuple the number of proposals and then it would be a close call.

City of San Francisco
Area: 121 sq km
Population: 805,235

Old City of Toronto
Area: 97 sq km
Population: 736,775

This is just the Entertainment District, and in the last month there have been 7 more proposed: 326m, 326m, 284m, 276m, 272m, 254m, and 184m. The buildings in blue are now under construction.

This offers a good look into what's being built/proposed in Toronto:

Courtesy of Innsertnamehere

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Jewish, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; November 22nd, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM   #19
PFloyd
DownTowner

Likes (Received): 1

What a waste of Forum space

I believe this issue has been discussed at length in other threads and forums. Any skyscraper/highrise enthusiast who navagates skyscrapercity & skyscraperpage forums knows the answer to this one.
By the way, in US/Canada, only NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago are larger than Toronto.
With the world of information that is the internet at everyone's fingertips it is amazing how ignorant a lot of people still are.

PFloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #20
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas
Likes (Received): 694

That 3-D model of Toronto's future skyline is pretty impressive. I would have to agree that Toronto's skyline would change more drastically than even SF's. However, as the U.S. economy recovers, I expect a new construction boom to fully ensue in downtown urban areas, especially in places with high energy production like the Midwest and Texas.

jcastro805 no está en línea   Reply With Quote