daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum

North American Skyscrapers Forum ģ Canada | United States | Balt / Wash DC | Chicago | Florida | Miami | Los Angeles | New York City | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle | Tampa Bay Area | Toronto | Texas | Southeast | Westcoast | Midwest | Northeast

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:29 PM   #21
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFloyd View Post
I believe this issue has been discussed at length in other threads and forums. Any skyscraper/highrise enthusiast who navagates skyscrapercity & skyscraperpage forums knows the answer to this one.
By the way, in US/Canada, only NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago are larger than Toronto.
With the world of information that is the internet at everyone's fingertips it is amazing how ignorant a lot of people still are.
Actually, not every body hits all the forums to know everything there is to know. With the world of information that is the internet, there is a lot of information to process.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Jewish, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; November 24th, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #22
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10804

Exactly. There are a myriad different links to information and he's assuming everyone hits the same ones he does. He's also assuming everyone's a skyscraper enthusiast who's perused the pages of SSC and SSP for years. Some people are just having their first look.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; November 28th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #23
crawford

Likes (Received): 4

I think the answer depends on your definition of highrise, but, in any case, your answer will be either Mexico City, NYC, or Toronto.

It's tough, though, because there is no such thing as a comprehensive skyscraper database. Emporis comes closest, but it's horrible for Mexico City, and mediocre (at best) for NYC. I don't know if it's good for Toronto or not.

But I do know you can't go by Emporis numbers to get the answer.

crawford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #24
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastro805 View Post
That 3-D model of Toronto's future skyline is pretty impressive. I would have to agree that Toronto's skyline would change more drastically than even SF's. However, as the U.S. economy recovers, I expect a new construction boom to fully ensue in downtown urban areas, especially in places with high energy production like the Midwest and Texas.
What's behind the SF boom, office or residential demand? What cities in the midwest do you expect a construction boom from energy?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Old November 28th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #25
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawford View Post
I think the answer depends on your definition of highrise, but, in any case, your answer will be either Mexico City, NYC, or Toronto.

It's tough, though, because there is no such thing as a comprehensive skyscraper database. Emporis comes closest, but it's horrible for Mexico City, and mediocre (at best) for NYC. I don't know if it's good for Toronto or not.

But I do know you can't go by Emporis numbers to get the answer.
Agree with most of that. Mexico City seems to get forgotten, but there's a lot happening there. A year ago I would have added Panama City to the list, but things seem to have cooled off considerably.

I don't use Emporis at all. I've found it to be horribly out of date and I'm more interested in 100m+ buildings than buildings 12 floors or higher. For 100m+ buildings, it's Toronto by a wide margin. For 300m+ buildings, I believe New York is the only city building them. For 12 floors or higher, its likely Mexico City or Toronto.

Last edited by isaidso; November 28th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #26
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas
Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What's behind the SF boom, office or residential demand? What cities in the midwest do you expect a construction boom from energy?
Right now SF is experiencing a highrise boom primarily to meet residential demand. Like New York City, SF is beyond maxed out in land, and can only really grow upwards. However, the tallest tower being built in SF is the Transbay Terminal, which is a mixed-use project incorporating the transportation system, and will be the tallest on the West Coast until LA's Wilshire Grand is built.

Due to the natural gas boom, I believe that many cities under the Barnett shale (Texas) and Marcellus shale (mainly Ohio, Pennsylvania, W. Virginia, and upstate New York) formations will explode, especially cities like Dallas, Houston, Pittsburg, Oklahoma City, etc. Austin is experiencing one of the biggest per-capita highrise booms in the country, and will look dramatically different in the next decade. Texas was fortunate enough to escape the worst of the recession, and is poised for major projects.

jcastro805 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #27
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

From what I've been able to glean from these pages and more, Toronto definitely has more going on right now than any other North American city. Then, I would say New York and then Mexico City. Miami has a lot coming up, but nothing like the madness of the last decade. You will see taller individual projects coming to Miami in this decade.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old March 25th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #28
ZKB9
Seeker of the Truth

Likes (Received): 395

Houston is in the middle of a boom, but my favorite is Seattle - the whole city is under construction!

ZKB9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #29
zappa

Likes (Received): 40

Seattle is definitely in midst of a building boom, with Amazon planning for 3 500' towers. Most of the other buildings are apartment towers, hotels and another major office tower downtown projected for an October 2013 start. Due to height restrictions, the tallest will only be about 660'.

jcastro805, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
zappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #30
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas

Also, Seattle will be building a new basketball stadium near downtown to accommodate the Kings' move from Sacramento!

Old April 15th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #31
Jewish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2318

I dont know as far this page is correct, but that's what i found:

List of cities with most skyscrapers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...st_skyscrapers

Last edited by Jewish; April 15th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Jewish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #32
Endeavor305
Registered Fool

Likes (Received): 2460

Miami

Endeavor305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #33
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Miami.

NYC, Boston San Francisco, Houston, Austin, Seattle and increasingly Chicago are all active.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #34
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Miami.

NYC, Boston San Francisco, Houston, Austin, Seattle and increasingly Chicago are all active.
Don't forget Los Angeles where there are several high-rises- including what will be the tallest west of the Mississippi- under construction!

Old April 20th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #35
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastro805 View Post
Don't forget Los Angeles where there are several high-rises- including what will be the tallest west of the Mississippi- under construction!
Yep! LA heating up, Denver hot as hell but not many high rises as yet, even Atlanta is starting to stir. Counting college dorms, Philly's on a hot streak!

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #36
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

As was previously said, without a reliable data base, it is difficult to know for sure unless you painstakingly go through all the different development sections of all the cities on the website and piece it together yourself. From what I've been able to pull together, and as was also said earlier, it's definitely Toronto overall with New York putting up more of the taller stuff. Miami has a lot planned that hasn't actually made it to construction yet, but with still a nice chunk of construction going right now in Brickell CityCentre, Brickell House, and Millecento with the 851-feet Panorama tower starting this summer.

My photo threads:

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #37
isaidso
the new republic

4-5 years down the road. How might skylines stack up from a purely quantitative POV if all buildings currently under construction are completed and the inventory of proposals on the table are also realized? I used 150m+ buildings as a bench mark and omitted buildings listed as 'On Hold'. No data was available for Mexico City or Panama City. North American cities in bold.

Cities with over 50 Buildings 150m+: Built, U/C, Proposed

01. New York: 287
02. Dubai: 195
03. Hong Kong: 188
04. Bangkok: 138
05. Shanghai: 137
06. Tokyo: 135
07. Chicago: 134
08. Manila: 133
09. Shenzhen: 123
10. Toronto: 109

11. Mumbai: 104
12. Guangzhou: 102
13. Seoul: 87
14. Singapore: 87
15. Chongqing: 83
16. Jakarta: 83
17. Kuala Lumpur: 81
18. Nanjing: 71
19. Istanbul: 64
20. Melbourne: 57

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #38
isaidso
the new republic

The list changes quite a bit if one uses 100m+ buildings instead.

Cities with over 100 Buildings 100m+: Built, U/C, Proposed

01. New York: 792
02. Shanghai: 745
03. Hong Kong: 682
04. Bangkok: 539
05. Tokyo: 447
06. Toronto: 375
07. Manila: 347
08. Dubai: 338
09. Chicago: 338
10. Seoul: 237

11. Guangzhou: 234
12. Kuala Lumpur: 230
13. Singapore: 227
14. Jakarta: 220
15. Mumbai: 197
16. Istanbul: 182
17. Chongqing: 178
18. Sao Paulo: 174
19. Shenzhen: 169
20. Moscow: 149

21. Sydney: 141
22. Melbourne: 139
23. Miami: 126
24. Beijing: 114
25. Nanjing: 108

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/

Old May 11th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #39
isaidso
the new republic

North American Cities 100m+ Buildings Under Construction

01. Toronto: 70
02. New York: 40
03. Miami: 10
04. Chicago: 9
05. Burnaby: 6
05. Vancouver: 6
07. San Francisco: 5
08. Calgary: 4
08. Montreal: 4
08. Seattle: 4

11. Mississauga: 3
12. Austin: 2
12. Edmonton: 2
12. Houston: 2
12. Los Angeles: 2
12. Philadelphia: 2
17. Boston: 1
17. Minneapolis: 1
17. San Diego: 1

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?

Last edited by isaidso; May 11th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #40
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

How about 200 u/c?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote