daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum

North American Skyscrapers Forum » Canada | United States | Balt / Wash DC | Chicago | Florida | Miami | Los Angeles | New York City | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle | Tampa Bay Area | Toronto | Texas | Southeast | Westcoast | Midwest | Northeast

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #41
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas
Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
How about 200 u/c?
new york: 10
Los Angeles: 1

note that Miami, NY, and Chi-town all have buildings u/c at just under 200 m. Los Angeles isn't truly under construction yet, but it has broken ground.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
jcastro805 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #42
Aceventura

Likes (Received): 2046

Sunny Isles had two 640 ft. towers under construction with another due to break ground this year.

Aceventura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #43
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceventura View Post
Sunny Isles had two 640 ft. towers under construction with another due to break ground this year.
My bad, when I mentioned Miami as having some just under 200 meters, I was including Sunny Isles.

Old May 16th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #44
Aceventura

Likes (Received): 2046

Its tough to know at times (in general). Sometimes it's included sometimes its not, that's just how it is being a suburb.

Aceventura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #45
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceventura View Post
Its tough to know at times (in general). Sometimes it's included sometimes its not, that's just how it is being a suburb.
Even if you're a suburb with the second largest skyline in Florida and one of the largest skylines in the country that is still growing with even taller towers.

On the subject of Miami, there is a ton of stuff planned that hasn't made it to construction yet and the market is really heating up down here.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #46
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Even if you're a suburb with the second largest skyline in Florida and one of the largest skylines in the country that is still growing with even taller towers.

On the subject of Miami, there is a ton of stuff planned that hasn't made it to construction yet and the market is really heating up down here.
The same is true for Century City, Hollywood, and Downtown Los Angeles. Several highrise proposals have been approved, and will hopefully break ground by the end of the year. These are exciting times!

Old May 17th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #47
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastro805 View Post
The same is true for Century City, Hollywood, and Downtown Los Angeles. Several highrise proposals have been approved, and will hopefully break ground by the end of the year. These are exciting times!
Oh yes, they are exciting times. Is there anything planned for Century City that's taller than what's there now? I always thought that would look great when I lived there.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old May 17th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #48
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Here are some projects that may break ground in Century City within the next year or so.

•10000 Santa Monica - 40 floors (fencing + signs are up)
•Century Plaza Hotel Development - 46 floors x 2 (early 2014 scheduled groundbreaking)
•The Westfield tower- 39 floors

These are all very likely to begin construction. Additionally, Hollywood just ended its height restriction, so now all kinds of proposals are popping up for outlandish, hollywood-style buildings.

Old May 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #49
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

If all that is currently under construction, or proposed here in Toronto gets completed, this will be what the tallest towers in our city look like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrispyInToronto View Post
yup here is the most recent(scroll to right for more)

For those who are worried there is no height going up, if you scroll all the way to the right, the shortest one in that list (coming in at 36th place) will be this tower on the left:

Here is a photo of what the skyline is like now, and a rendering as to what it will look like with most of the above proposed towers built; note the
rendering is missing 7 of the latest proposed towers, but still gives an idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Original photo:

image hosted on flickr

Original photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kolster...in/photostream

Future rendering:

image hosted on flickr

Courtesy of koops65
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #50
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

TB, is the market still strong in Toronto? Is there a good chance that we will see most of this? I like the way the skyine appears more balanced in the future rendering!

My photo threads:

Old May 18th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #51
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Toronto is in Beast-mode! That future rendering looks great!

Old May 19th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #52
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Thought you guys might enjoy this. This is the coming Miami World Convention Center and hotel adjoing the coming Miami World Center in the rendering.

My photo threads:

Old May 19th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #53
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

That hotel looks wonderful. Exciting times for Miami.

Quote:
TB, is the market still strong in Toronto? Is there a good chance that we will see most of this? I like the way the skyine appears more balanced in the future rendering!
The air in the condo market has been taken out and condo sales are returning to more sustainable levels (about 12,000 units/year). Prices have held, so it looks like there will be no crash like some were predicting.

All 7 of the buildings 200m+ U/C will be finished as they were 80% sold or better before shovels hit the ground. Of the 23 buildings 200m+ proposed, about half are far from a sure thing. Oxford (3), Theatre Block (3), 45 Bay, 460 Yonge, Eau de Soleil, Holt Renfrew, 37 Yorkville, and E Condos would be in that category; that's 12 of the 23. The remaining 11 will get built.

In conclusion, Toronto will see 18 buildings 200m+ added to its inventory with another 12 up in the air at this point. Those 12 could still happen, but it's too early to say. The 3 tower Theatre Block would sell well, but it's hinging on whether they win approval in a sensitive area of downtown. They'd have to tear down a theatre and 2 warehouse type buildings to do it.

Toronto's 200m+ Buildings
Built: 11
U/C: 7
Proposed: 23

If everything gets built Toronto will go from 11 to 41 buildings 200m+, that's quite a jump and good enough for 2nd spot in north America. Here are 2 nice shots that have been circulating lately:

image hosted on flickr

Toronto by imcconac, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

what.we.have.done by jonathancastellino, on Flickr

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 20th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #54
isaidso
the new republic

Toronto, New York, and Miami all seem to be experiencing big booms. Often going overlooked are other cities that are having their own booms. In Canada, both Montreal and Calgary seem to be in the midst of one. They're much smaller than Toronto's boom, but noteworthy nonetheless. Even Niagara Falls has 3 buildings 200m+ proposed... and another one 197m.

What about US cities besides New York and Miami?

Hotel Aviary Site, Niagara Falls: 229m & 222m

Rainbow Hotel, Niagara Falls: 229m

Loretto, Niagara Falls: 197m

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 20th, 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #55
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
That hotel looks wonderful. Exciting times for Miami.
As you can see from the video, the hotel is just one component in the massive Miami World Center project, just like Brickell Citycentre in my avatar already under construction. When completely built out, this is another project that will fill in the Miami skyline very nicely. Altogether, the project includes another very tall tower that you don't see in the video until 3:22. I think it's going to be mixed use and is a phase of the project will depend on market demand at that point. It will add great depth, density, and massiveness to the Miami skyline.

We get lots of Canadian tourists from Toronto every year, Isaidso. Miami is a big Canadian destination. An apartment building right next to mine is owned by Canadians who spend the winter here.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; May 20th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #56
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Toronto, New York, and Miami all seem to be experiencing big booms. Often going overlooked are other cities that are having their own booms. In Canada, both Montreal and Calgary seem to be in the midst of one. They're much smaller than Toronto's boom, but noteworthy nonetheless. Even Niagara Falls has 3 buildings 200m+ proposed... and another one 197m.

What about US cities besides New York and Miami?

Hotel Aviary Site, Niagara Falls: 229m & 222m

Rainbow Hotel, Niagara Falls: 229m

Loretto, Niagara Falls: 197m
I agree, and would like to add Austin to the list as well.

jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #57
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathaninATX View Post
I agree, and would like to add Austin to the list as well.
Nice to know. We can't let Asia have all the growth!

Old May 20th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #58
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
As you can see from the video, the hotel is just one component in the massive Miami World Center project, just like Brickell Citycentre in my avatar already under construction. When completely built out, this is another project that will fill in the Miami skyline very nicely. Altogether, the project includes another very tall tower that you don't see in the video until 3:22. I think it's going to be mixed use and is a phase of the project will depend on market demand at that point. It will add great depth, density, and massiveness to the Miami skyline.

We get lots of Canadian tourists from Toronto every year, Isaidso. Miami is a big Canadian destination. An apartment building right next to mine is owned by Canadians who spend the winter here.
I bet. We don't have a Florida of our own, so we head to places like Cuba, Arizona, Florida, Mexico, and central America by the millions every winter. I think there are some Florida communities that are about 80% Canuck. I'm thinking about a 2nd home and will likely buy in the next 10 years. I'm leaning towards Costa Rica though.

Regarding Miami, I think it's evolving into a substantial business centre for the entire region. It's strategically located between the northern and southern halves of America and will benefit tremendously from the growth in places like Brazil.

Last edited by QuantumX; May 20th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #59
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I bet. We don't have a Florida of our own, so we head to places like Cuba, Arizona, Florida, Mexico, and central America by the millions every winter. I think there are some Florida communities that are about 80% Canuck. I'm thinking about a 2nd home and will likely buy in the next 10 years. I'm leaning towards Costa Rica though. Oh, but Panama City is not far away.
Costa Rica will be a lot less expensive, but I think you'll miss being able to see skyscrapers.

Quote:
Regarding Miami, I think it's evolving into a substantial business centre for the entire region. It's strategically located between the northern and southern halves of America and will benefit tremendously from the growth in places like Brazil.
Brazilians are the ones fueling the current boom for the most part from what I understand. We also get quite a few German tourists here in the winter. If Luthansa can justify landing the A380 here in the winter, that is really saying something. We are one of the few American cities currently servicing the double-decker A380.

My photo threads:

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #60
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Costa Rica will be a lot less expensive, but I think you'll miss being able to see skyscrapers.
Panama City isn't that far away. Besides I'd be going for the cheap living, Pacific Ocean, monkeys, ant eaters, toucans, mountains, volcanos, Costa Rican men, culture, food, and 'Pura Vida'.

Quote:
Brazilians are the ones fueling the current boom for the most part from what I understand. We also get quite a few German tourists here in the winter. If Luthansa can justify landing the A380 here in the winter, that is really saying something. We are one of the few American cities currently servicing the double-decker A380.
There's no denying what a huge winter destination Florida is. Germans are well known as the world's most prolific vacationers. They do more international travel than any one else on the planet. Btw, I met some in Costa Rica too. It was mostly Canadians and Americans down there though.