daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum

North American Skyscrapers Forum » Canada | United States | Balt / Wash DC | Chicago | Florida | Miami | Los Angeles | New York City | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle | Tampa Bay Area | Toronto | Texas | Southeast | Westcoast | Midwest | Northeast

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2015, 01:29 AM   #101
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas
Likes (Received): 694

Seriously? Who cares? I come here for the cranes, not the high-quality photography!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
jcastro805 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2015, 09:10 AM   #102
parody24

Likes (Received): 27

I traveled all over North America this last Autumn and early Winter. It was so fantastic to see all these construction cranes and new towers in so many cities. Toronto is looking more like Shanghai and Dubai these days! Plus, Montreal, NYC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Halifax, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, Milwaukee, Miami, etc.... It is thrilling to see our cities reinventing their downtowns!

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Tampa'sTime liked this post
parody24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #103
Igor_sp

Likes (Received): 3957

cool

Igor_sp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 06:50 AM   #104
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6523

Mexico City has increased its construction dramatically now there is

+300m

Proposed: 3

+200m

Proposed :10
Under Construction/ Prep: 6
Com: 4

+150m

Proposed: +- 15
U/C/ PREP: 23

BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #105
FloridaFuture

Likes (Received): 4042

NYC probably has the most total but relative to its size, Miami for sure.

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #106
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas

you're probably right, though I would add a caveat. Relative being the principle city in its metro, Austin is arguably building the most total relative to its size (about 1.8 million in Austin metro).
Old September 9th, 2015, 03:33 AM   #107
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

There has been a flurry of highrise and skyscraper construction going on here in Philadelphia. While I am not making the claim that Philly is building the most highrises, I'm sure with over 20 buildings either presently under construction or just completed this year - over 200' in height - my guess we are in the top ten.

Most notable is the supertall skyscraper designed by Lord Norman Foster "The Comcast Innovation & Technology Center" at 1121 feet. They claim it will be technically the tallest skyscraper in the US outside NY and Chicago, beating out LA's Wilshire Grand and San Francisco's Salesforce Tower.

Others under construction include:

FMC Tower - 730' - 49 Floors

W and Element Hotel - 582' - 51 Floors

SLS International - 590' - 47 Floors

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia extension - 375' -23 Floors

1601 Vine - 370' - 32 Floors

Chinatown Eastern Tower - 252' - 21 Floors

1919 Market - 337' - 29 Floors

1213 Walnut - 292' - 29 Floors

3601 Market - 320' - 28 Floors

The Summit - 279' - 25 Floors

3737 Chestnut - 278' - 25 Floors

500 Walnut - 380' - ? Floors

East Market - 281' -21 Floors

... Much of the new construction is residential complexes that are 6, 8, or 10 stories so of course I'm not going to include dozens of projects like those. I did read somewhere that Philly has something like 6.8 Billion dollars worth of construction going on right now, and we are #3 of all US cities in construction activity. I wish I can remember so I can cite that source.
Old September 13th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #108
Jsmith.york.123456

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Linguist View Post
American cities are bigger than Canadian ones, but Toronto is actually building more highrises than New York. New York is built out.
Toronto is actually the 4th largest city in North America at around 2.9 million and approximately 9 million for Greater Golden Horshoe Area equivalent to size of Chicagoland
Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:37 AM   #109
HighclassSkyline

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Linguist View Post
American cities are bigger than Canadian ones, but Toronto is actually building more highrises than New York. New York is built out.
Toronto has a lot of room/potential to develop a dense skyline and nice one at that. Of course it is to be expected that NYC will have the cooler projects though. NYC isn't built out entirely though still that gap between lower Manhattan and mid-town Manhattan. All the renderings I have seen of future Toronto skyline look awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastro805 View Post
While not building the most highrises in North America, as it is obviously much smaller than cities like NYC and Toronto, I've gotta give props to Austin. It has been on a skyscraper binge the last few years, and currently has several highrises approved, promising a drastic skyline change over the next few.
Austin seems to show some potential to one day developing a dense core downtown.

HighclassSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:03 AM   #110
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Come on dude, on the New York remark, it's dumb for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, it isn't physically possible to build humongous skyscrapers there, as the bedrock dips there. Secondly, the area between midtown and lower manhattan is preserved across a cornucopia of historic districts, which won't be demolished or allow for the construction of high rises in our lifetime, and absolutely shouldn't. But worry not, NYC has tons of alternates. The greatest potential for development today rests in several areas. Within Manhattan, there are still large pockets south of canal street that hold a massive amount of air rights. Furthermore, in midtown around Hudson Rail Yards there remain massive amounts of developable plots, and there are tons of midtown buildings that could likely be demolished for skyscrapers. Beyond that, perhaps the most blaring example is the SOLOW site, it's an absolute CRIME that hasn't been developed, it's tens of acres and lies right by the UN, and could be the secret to creating a vibrant beyond 9-5 community in midtown east. Moreover, Midtown east has been rezoned, and following the construction of the Vanderbilt building, I believe we can expect loads of construction. The Upper East Side, my neighborhood, will likely also experience a great high rise boom, especially after the second avenue subway is complete. Already there are developments plopping up all over me.

Next outside Manhattan. Clearly Jersey City holds IMMENSE potential even today to develop surface lots and expand the waterfront skyline. Journal square is also actively trying to rebrand itself. Downtown Brooklyn is clearly the largest target for large scale development outside Manhattan, and is blowing up right now, and continues to hold great potential for development.

Queens seems to be the #2 target, with tons of highrises planned and being constructed in Long Island City, including the extension of the waterfront to Hunters Point.

And lastly the Bronx is likely to be a target sometime in the future, but I think large scale development is still a ways away there, given it really doesn't offer convenient, timely commuting to Midtown or Downtown.

But to summarize, I think NYC clearly beats Toronto in scale of development. I mean, one can't comprehend all that's going on in NYC, most of the developments going on here I rarely see in any comprehensive list because there's simply too much. Whereas I believe Toronto's development is centralized around the core, not dispersed like NYC, so it appears more development is happening, than there actually is.

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:16 AM   #111
HighclassSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Come on dude, on the New York remark, it's dumb for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, it isn't physically possible to build humongous skyscrapers there, as the bedrock dips there. Secondly, the area between midtown and lower manhattan is preserved across a cornucopia of historic districts, which won't be demolished or allow for the construction of high rises in our lifetime, and absolutely shouldn't. But worry not, NYC has tons of alternates. The greatest potential for development today rests in several areas. Within Manhattan, there are still large pockets south of canal street that hold a massive amount of air rights. Furthermore, in midtown around Hudson Rail Yards there remain massive amounts of developable plots, and there are tons of midtown buildings that could likely be demolished for skyscrapers. Beyond that, perhaps the most blaring example is the SOLOW site, it's an absolute CRIME that hasn't been developed, it's tens of acres and lies right by the UN, and could be the secret to creating a vibrant beyond 9-5 community in midtown east. Moreover, Midtown east has been rezoned, and following the construction of the Vanderbilt building, I believe we can expect loads of construction. The Upper East Side, my neighborhood, will likely also experience a great high rise boom, especially after the second avenue subway is complete. Already there are developments plopping up all over me.

Next outside Manhattan. Clearly Jersey City holds IMMENSE potential even today to develop surface lots and expand the waterfront skyline. Journal square is also actively trying to rebrand itself. Downtown Brooklyn is clearly the largest target for large scale development outside Manhattan, and is blowing up right now, and continues to hold great potential for development.

Queens seems to be the #2 target, with tons of highrises planned and being constructed in Long Island City, including the extension of the waterfront to Hunters Point.

And lastly the Bronx is likely to be a target sometime in the future, but I think large scale development is still a ways away there, given it really doesn't offer convenient, timely commuting to Midtown or Downtown.

But to summarize, I think NYC clearly beats Toronto in scale of development. I mean, one can't comprehend all that's going on in NYC, most of the developments going on here I rarely see in any comprehensive list because there's simply too much. Whereas I believe Toronto's development is centralized around the core, not dispersed like NYC, so it appears more development is happening, than there actually is.
Dang dude you know your stuff. I don't live in Manhattan but will live there one day.

I just remember seeing that gap between lower Manhattan and Mid-town and thinking that since I last saw that gap picture a lot of buildings have been built. And as you said those pockets and I looked it up. If it is true that south of Canal st is game then that is great news.

Also, isn't it true that they can find ways to deal with the bedrock? They built tall buildings in Houston Tx which is basically sitting on marsh. I am sure the engineers of today can come up with a way to build tall and high in the gap. Also, what do you even call that area?

say using that. Your opinion of what 'neighborhoods' will have the most potential.

Also, what do you think about the possibility of height restrictions on buildings that surround central park to potentially address the shadows that really tall skyscrapers can have on central park?

Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:34 PM   #112
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Haha I enjoy the irony of discussing what neighborhoods have the most potential for growth, then mentioning height limits. Let's clarify two things with said height limits. NYC has massing laws, which means they don't regulate height, but rather the Mass of buildings, thus any one block will essentially create the same amount of shade as any other block zoned the same. So no, there shouldn't be limits on tall buildings near central park. Plus, any shadows on central park move quickly, since the buildings casting them are so tall, so it's an issue for maybe 5 minutes if you're sunbathing. Let's be real, the lost real estate taxes, and the perceived unwelcomeness of the city towards developers isn't worth setting such laws. Also, let's not that these tall buildings eat up the air rights of the buildings that surround them, thus creating a more airy, open streetscape for pedestrians.

Regarding neighborhoods, quite clearly Northern Chelsea, and Southern/Western Hells Kitchen hold the largest potential for transformation. The whole West Side was rezoned to accommodate large building, the hudson rail yards and Manhattan West are spurring development, and the presence of the Highline and a new subway station will only further that trend. That's the place to watch in Manhattan.

I think my neighborhood The Upper East Side/Yorkville, though built out, will continue to develop to their limits plots that are currently underutilized. And Turtle Bay will likely see great development in the future, as the market digests the full extent of the Midtown East rezoning.

Yes, I believe there are ways to get around bedrock issues, as the Trump SoHo is built in that area, and is immensely tall for it's surroundings. But the problem is no one, not even me, a super pro-development guy wants that are to fill in. The character of West Village/Greenwich/NoHo/East Village/SoHo is unique and remarkable for NYC. It's the one part of Manhattan that's comprised of true low rises, and those are the "old towns" of NYC. Seeing major development in any of those areas would make me lose faith in this town.

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #113
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22488

a chunk of Hell's Kitchen and Chelsea should be turned into Hudson Yards on that map. Soon enough, Hudson Yards will have little in common with the other two neighborhoods.
As for other places, I would keep an eye on Midtown South. That neighborhood has a few tall projects in the works. Anything north of the northernmost tip of Roosevelt island is where you would probably not see a proposal taller than 500 feet. Height restrictions are just as stringent south of Midtown South to the southern streets of TriBeCa.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #114
HighclassSkyline

Quote:
Haha I enjoy the irony of discussing what neighborhoods have the most potential for growth, then mentioning height limits. Let's clarify two things with said height limits. NYC has massing laws, which means they don't regulate height, but rather the Mass of buildings, thus any one block will essentially create the same amount of shade as any other block zoned the same. So no, there shouldn't be limits on tall buildings near central park. Plus, any shadows on central park move quickly, since the buildings casting them are so tall, so it's an issue for maybe 5 minutes if you're sunbathing. Let's be real, the lost real estate taxes, and the perceived unwelcomeness of the city towards developers isn't worth setting such laws. Also, let's not that these tall buildings eat up the air rights of the buildings that surround them, thus creating a more airy, open streetscape for pedestrians.
Okay. So they do it on mass which will effectively help NYC from becoming a darkness area right for the lower levels?

But how do you explain this?

Also, can you elaborate on how tall buildings eat up air rights of other buildings? How is that? I thought each building had air rights above it. Or are you saying since they determine things on 'mass' that a tall building will then 'steal' the mass or eligible air mass that the shorter buildings have?

You really know your stuff but I am trying to better understand how tall buildings can take up air rights of other buildings.

Quote:

Yes, I believe there are ways to get around bedrock issues, as the Trump SoHo is built in that area, and is immensely tall for it's surroundings. But the problem is no one, not even me, a super pro-development guy wants that are to fill in. The character of West Village/Greenwich/NoHo/East Village/SoHo is unique and remarkable for NYC. It's the one part of Manhattan that's comprised of true low rises, and those are the "old towns" of NYC. Seeing major development in any of those areas would make me lose faith in this town.
Is Little Italy, China-Town, similarly off limits? Id imagine for their names alone. Who would want to destroy little Italy and China town with massive buildings?

Can you elaborate on ABC city though and what it is from what I just googled it is always considered part of East Village is that right? Is that area off limits and what fills it today and what about the lower East Side and Bowery?

I read that the Lower East Side is now listed under 'endangered' neighborhood list by the national trust for historic preservation. So that would prevent skyscrapers from going up?

Tribeca is below canal street so that means it is game I assume, and two bridges is game as well?

Sorry I am just real curious and you got a lot of knowledge on Manhattan.

Last edited by HighclassSkyline; December 24th, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old December 24th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #115
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastro805 View Post
you're probably right, though I would add a caveat. Relative being the principle city in its metro, Austin is arguably building the most total relative to its size (about 1.8 million in Austin metro).
Austin just blew past 2 million.

And it has a seemingly endless pipeline of new towers. Beyond just the fact that the city is growing so rapidly, there's a shocking amount of developable sites in its core. There are height restrictions along view corridors which crimps the number of tall tower sites but overall, the city is densifying dramatically.

Another city with an endless pipeline is Miami. Unlike the last cycle new towers feature a much lower unit count so many more are being built to meet the demand: cash buyers from around the world. While the glitz and glam lies along the bay, inland neighborhoods are seeing more density with relatively affordable rentals. If all the projects on the boards go up, Miami will be a shock city much like Chicago was 45 years ago.
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #116
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

Austin is no sloch when it comes to highrise development. The city came from hardly any skyscrapers back in 2000 to a skyline that rivals cities such as Kansas City, New Orleans, Charlotte, ect. This by far is the only city I know besides Miami that has drastically altered it's skyline.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 01:23 AM   #117
james5

Likes (Received): 97

Chicago has 21 under construction and about 6 or so that are being proposed. Some of them will be skyline changers....wanda vista, (super tall) the two on the sothern edge of grant park and wolf point south tower...

james5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 07:11 PM   #118
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Los Angeles has several talls under construction which will dramatically change the skyline over the next couple of years, including a few seen in this pic:
[IMG]cityscape 9 by mingomatic, on Flickr[/IMG]

jcastro805 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #119
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighclassSkyline View Post
Also, can you elaborate on how tall buildings eat up air rights of other buildings? How is that? I thought each building had air rights above it. Or are you saying since they determine things on 'mass' that a tall building will then 'steal' the mass or eligible air mass that the shorter buildings have?
I'm not trying to preempt Royal Rose from answering but I might be able to help you along while awaiting his response.

Typically air rights refers to one of/or two aspects of limited development capacity - Exposure/visibility control and massing. There can be some complexity to the laws and applications but here's a $.01 overview.

For the former, some communities will restrict development height to preserve the viability for other buildings to retain line-of-site visibility to or from certain viewsheds. This might be to sustain telecommunications, it might be to protect established signage rights, or be something bought and traded to protect one buildings views outward. One property owner might buy the rights off another, for example, to preserve his views to, say, Central Park.

The other form is more like the massing example Rose mentioned, whereby certain areas (blocks, service districts, etc) have a certain share of development capacity based on utilities and infrastructure. A block may be assigned an overall serviceable population capacity based on prevailing sewer and transit to the area, in which case as one property seeks to command a larger share of that capacity they will be buying out the potential capacity of the next guy. So the block might have one 432 Park and a bunch of smaller towers, or they could let everyone build something at a more middling height, but the overall development capacity of the block as a whole will remain largely the same. Sewer is the foremost dictator of this condition I've seen.

All of these have to do with development restrictions based on property co-dependencies, and their enforcement typically involves a complex exercise for initial application then managed long-term through a formula for property owners to see what they can afford. But this protects someone's investment from being hemmed in by towers on all other sides that could effect safety, market viability, etc.

GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:12 AM   #120
Sic'EmBears

Likes (Received): 2467

In no particular order, I believe New York, Miami, Houston and Denver have the most high-rises currently under construction.

Here's a compilation of Dallas' high-rises greater than twelve floors:

Under Construction:

Park District | 34FL Residential / 20FL Office | GF retail
Bleu Ciel | 33FL | Residential
Katy Station | 28FL | Residential | GF retail
Skyhouse | 24FL | Residential | GF retail
The Jordan | 23FL | Residential | GF retail
M-Line Tower | 23FL | Residential | GF retail
The Ascent | 23FL | Residential | GF retail
The McKenzie | 23FL | Residential
1900 Pearl | 23FL | Office | GF retail
McKinney & Olive | 21FL | Office | GF retail
Cinepolis | 20FL | Residential | GF retail
One Uptown | 19FL | Residential | GF retail
The Case | 17FL | Residential

2016 Groundbreaking:

Flora & Olive Lofts | 39FL | Residential | GF retail (July)
Canopy West Village | 24FL Residential / 9FL Hospitality | GF retail (February)
Virgin Hotel | 20FL | Hospitality | GF retail (Spring)
2610 Maple Ave | 14FL | Office | GF retail (Q1)

Sic'EmBears no está en línea   Reply With Quote