daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1041
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7152

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Nope. Sorry. Just taste; and there's no accounting for taste, lest we wouldn't have Britney Spears or Gina Lollobrigida .
Your position is acceptable but elitist. Even if everyone had the same insights and studied the virtues of historic art and architecture, personal taste is still a valid expression. Recall Louis Sullivan decried the architecture of Daniel Burnham, particularly his 1893 World's Fair.

The poster did not suggest that all Italian villages were monochomatic, he simply said those that were are uninteresting to his taste.

Comparisons are in the eyes of the beholder. That said, what on earth does "moron matching" mean in the context of your anger? One could, if one would, compare such a comment to those made by semi-lucid politicians.
You can express an opinion if you show that you know what you are talking about. That person had no idea what he was talking about, and he eventually apologised. Comparing, without any clue, historical villages to brasilian favelas is not a matter of "taste", it is just an idiotic remark. It's like going to an impressionist museum and say: "I can paint better than Monet, this picture looks like it was painted by a 5-year-old"

Secondly, your point was indeed that most italian villages were monochrome, and this is just not true. You said:

Quote:
Marble's point about the monochromatic schemes of many Italian villages is well taken and in actuality true.
Finally, we are in a forum of architecture and I expect everyone to know the italian Renaissance. You really think that a city like Urbino would look better if it was more coloured? Urbino is the peak of centuries of civilisation combined with local building tradition.

Last edited by Fab87; April 28th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Fab87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1042
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15518

Quote:
Nope. Sorry. Just taste; and there's no accounting for taste, lest we wouldn't have Britney Spears or Gina Lollobrigida .
Your position is acceptable but elitist.
There's not one single right approach to matters of taste -all else being wrong or unworthy- but on the other hand I strongly disagree that everything goes whatever the taste.

IF some Europeans villages are monochromatic, one may not like them best, but it might be interesting to understand why: because people wanted to for matters of taste -like it or not- not because they had no money to dye it all.

Isn't a man's suit monochrome and dark-hued too?

Quote:
The poster did not suggest that all Italian villages were monochomatic, ...
He did instead, assuming there is such thing as the essence of a typical Italian village, whereas the loads of pics show on the other hand the extreme variety of Italian popular architecture.
I second FAK that no other European country enjoys such variety ranging from German-like alpine villages to Arab-like whitewashed clusters of houses upon the shore.

Quote:
Comparisons are in the eyes of the beholder. That said, what on earth does "moron matching" mean in the context of your anger? One could, if one would, compare such a comment to those made by semi-lucid politicians.
Thanks for your unrequested psychological consult, you must be brilliant in detecting states of mind from sheer words. I'd love I could do the same, but I won't dare to. I'd more probably be deemed a charlatan, just the way as I deem the ones so doing.

To me, a city outlook that -according to civic decrees and authoritative rules of centuries before- MUST look like a singular artwork despite being constructed and added in several different times in order to preserve unity is quite different from the ruleless overnight emergence of clusters of poors' homes in troubled hamlets.

Let's consider Noto, with its yellowish stone and elaborate ornamentation making building glow under the sunshine of Sicily. Here colour would be pointless.

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQd2M6tkbE0Jtdr6d5WMNuxvpAVJJ2phx7EAT4VlSekuBjVFmr4uA[/IMG]

Besides - favelas are colourful.
Even too much.
Maybe the random disposition of colours and the lack of planning may let them appear brownish at a first glimpse.
Which is the evidence that dying everything is not the solution.

vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #1043
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab87 View Post
You can express an opinion if you show that you know what you are talking about. .
Left wing propagandists may agree with you on this one. In the free and open-thinking society from which I come, such a point is absurd. In business matters, it's true that opinions must be justified by facts and data that are generally indisputable, but on matters of art and beauty and impressions on the mind, one cannot dictate likeability. All you should have done is state your disagreement, not your self-righteous superiority and personal attack.

rychlik liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #1044
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittorio tauber View Post
There's not one single right approach to matters of taste -all else being wrong or unworthy- but on the other hand I strongly disagree that everything goes whatever the taste.

IF some Europeans villages are monochromatic, one may not like them best, but it might be interesting to understand why: because people wanted to for matters of taste -like it or not- not because they had no money to dye it all.

Isn't a man's suit monochrome and dark-hued too?

Yes, but some, even designers, prefer a sports jacket and colorful slacks and wild socks. My argument is about the heavy-handed attitude that visual taste preferences are, apparently to you and a few others, unworthy of having....much less stating. I disagree.

Quote:
Thanks for your unrequested psychological consult, you must be brilliant in detecting states of mind from sheer words. I'd love I could do the same, but I won't dare to. I'd more probably be deemed a charlatan, just the way as I deem the ones so doing.
What was unrequested was the "moron" commentary put forth...and that's a state of mind/ability that you apparently assessed from sheer words. Obviously you not only dared to do so, but did so. Therefore, you might reconsider who is the charlatan. That said, have a great day and look forward to enjoying your less demeaning posts.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1045
jumping_jack
midnight talker

Likes (Received): 821

well, that favelas comparison was malicious, maybe even trollish, though there's no need for such a butt hurt, just let it go . this time it's a too few colours thing next time it will be too much chitarra and mandolino. there will be always somebody dissatisfied, don't get it emotionally.

Quote:
In the free and open-thinking society from which I come, such a point is absurd.
such open-thinking society without any qualitative criteria to distinguish knowledge from bollocks leads to creationism teached in schools or to parents that choose prayer over treatment for they ill children. we probably have opposite opinions about what an absurd is. there's a huge difference between expressing a personal point of view (no matter how much wrong) and considering a qualified opinion and a naif comment equally significant.

i saw that favelas comment and i let it go because i don't care that a guy on the internetz dislikes italian villages. thought i don't understand your crusade for elevate a silly internet comment as a highest expression of personal freedom. instead of bombastic open-thinking society claims just use a bit of common sense, you are abusing of personal taste argumentation to justify just an "unfortunate" post.

Fab87, AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
jumping_jack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1046
vittorio tauber
Doing It My Way

Likes (Received): 15518

Quote:
Yes, but some, even designers, prefer a sports jacket and colorful slacks and wild socks. My argument is about the heavy-handed attitude that visual taste preferences are, apparently to you and a few others, unworthy of having....much less stating. I disagree.
Blah blah.

Quote:
What was unrequested was the "moron" commentary put forth...and that's a state of mind/ability that you apparently assessed from sheer words. Obviously you not only dared to do so, but did so. Therefore, you might reconsider who is the charlatan. That said, have a great day and look forward to enjoying your less demeaning posts.
To put it bluntly.

Moronity is about sentence or about people.

To make a moron statement doesn't absolutely imply the utterer is a moron guy. Does it - in your opinion?

Guessing unpleasant mental states from words and giving moral patents is something I leave to moron guys.
vittorio tauber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #1047
keepthepast

Quote:
Guessing unpleasant mental states from words and giving moral patents is something I leave to moron guys.
You're projecting again, speaking of mental states.
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #1048
Silano (2.0)

Likes (Received): 3222

WTF? Probably we are in the most popular site of architecture and the question here is Italian villages seeming Brazilian's favelas? My my, it's my bedtime already.

Highcliff liked this post
Silano (2.0) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1049
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

The most annoying idea to me is the one of dividing european villages by nation. European villages are so various!

Silano, post some amazing pics as usual and save the thread

Silano (2.0), rychlik liked this post
Fab87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1050
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14399

a " monochromatic " village in central spain ( the colour of its land , in my opinion )
Peńaranda del duero http://www.casaruralmaribella.com/tu...a%20de%20Duero

image hosted on flickr

FAK, vittorio tauber, Fab87 liked this post

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; April 29th, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1051
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14399

now a painted slum http://edition.cnn.com/video/world/2...nn.576x324.jpg
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1052
Silano (2.0)

Quote:
The most annoying idea to me is the one of dividing european villages by nation. European villages are so various!

Silano, post some amazing pics as usual and save the thread
OK Fab, from now I'll have come on too strong!

Old April 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1053
Silano (2.0)

Glorenza, Italy - a piece of Germany in South Tyrol

image hosted on flickr

Glurns, Vinschgau / Glorenza, Val Venosta por bautisterias, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Glorenza por anto_gal, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Glurns por ..illi.., no Flickr

source

image hosted on flickr

Old April 29th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #1054
Silano (2.0)

Cornello dei Tasso, Italy - a stone village in Lombard Alps

image hosted on flickr

CORNELLO DEL TASSO por dordino, no Flickr

source

source

source

image hosted on flickr

Stradina principale sotto la chiesa a Cornello por santino2000, no Flickr

source

charpentier, Highcliff liked this post
Old April 29th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1055
Silano (2.0)

Colorful seaside town of Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy

image hosted on flickr

Santa Margherita pan por Ottaviano60, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Santa Margherita boats por Ottaviano60, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Santa Margherita port por Ottaviano60, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SML por [email protected], no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

rivieran reflections por scouserdaz photography, no Flickr

image hosted on flickr

davanti al mare por gigi 62, no Flickr

Pop Bogdan, Highcliff liked this post
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #1056
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

A village I would like to visit.

That's a lot of potato's.

Silano (2.0), Fab87 liked this post

Last edited by rychlik; April 29th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #1057
Silano (2.0)

Are you usually a drunk?

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #1058
rychlik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6603

It's funny because as I write, I am drinking vodka with tonic.

But no, I don't get crazy drunk. I want to keep my health.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #1059
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Real poles don't mix wodka with soda
Old April 30th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1060
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18863

Quote:
Real poles don't mix wodka with soda
Yeah, and only real poles wear mustache

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
croatia, england, europe, france, greece, italia, italy, netherlands, portugal, small towns, spain, sweden