daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #61
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 364

People like you NT, are the kind of people Coventry is not catering for and it has to have a re-think of who it actually serves. You are very passionate about a good quality of life there and it's a real shame Coventry city centre is not delivering. I know Earlsdon and it is a very nice suburb, reminding me of Moseley or Harborne and the city centre needs to up its game because that's what cities usually do - the downtown having more choice than the districts??

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #62
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
People like you NT, are the kind of people Coventry is not catering for and it has to have a re-think of who it actually serves. You are very passionate about a good quality of life there and it's a real shame Coventry city centre is not delivering. I know Earlsdon and it is a very nice suburb, reminding me of Moseley or Harborne and the city centre needs to up its game because that's what cities usually do - the downtown having more choice than the districts??
There's a good shoe shop in the city centre. The only time we really go there is when we're getting the kids new shoes. There used to be a nice little collection of places years ago, but they're all distant memories now.

We're not wealthy, either, as after paying pills (Especially Nursery fees) we've little disposable income left, and most of that goes on getting stuff for the kids! However, when I'm going to buy something, I tend to prefer to get something decent and have a wide range of things to browse. This usually means a trip outside Cov. We rarely spend much money in Coventry, and will be going Xmas shopping in Solihull.

Ah well, my main reason for going to the city centre every morning has gone. Parking metres have gone up on the free parking areas. 50p for 30 minutes.

Lose-lose situation. The council will not be getting any money from me for parking for 5 minutes while I nip in and get a coffee and breakfast. And the places I use will lose my business. I imagine there are others who will stop using the city centre for this sort of quick visits. I wonder if they realise how much damage they are doing? Every road they close off, every parking restriction they add just makes it a less desirable place to visit or setup a business, in my opinion.
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #63
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
There's a good shoe shop in the city centre. The only time we really go there is when we're getting the kids new shoes. There used to be a nice little collection of places years ago, but they're all distant memories now.

We're not wealthy, either, as after paying pills (Especially Nursery fees) we've little disposable income left, and most of that goes on getting stuff for the kids! However, when I'm going to buy something, I tend to prefer to get something decent and have a wide range of things to browse. This usually means a trip outside Cov. We rarely spend much money in Coventry, and will be going Xmas shopping in Solihull.

Ah well, my main reason for going to the city centre every morning has gone. Parking metres have gone up on the free parking areas. 50p for 30 minutes.

Lose-lose situation. The council will not be getting any money from me for parking for 5 minutes while I nip in and get a coffee and breakfast. And the places I use will lose my business. I imagine there are others who will stop using the city centre for this sort of quick visits. I wonder if they realise how much damage they are doing? Every road they close off, every parking restriction they add just makes it a less desirable place to visit or setup a business, in my opinion.
Thinking should really be moving towards offering free parking, given the absolutely dire state of the City Centre.

It's not as if there are great alternatives to the car, due to various mad cap schemes, most buses only stop on the periphery of the City Centre.

God it really is a mess, I don't live in Coventry any more but every time I come back I'm more and more glad.

It's like a large Nuneaton, it should be more like a small Birmingham.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #64
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 44

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the parking changes something of a double-edged sword? As part of the street parking plan, a lot more street parking spaces will be created, thus making it easier to park for short visits because the current limited number of free spaces fill very quickly anyway. If anything it will encourage more short visits surely?

50p for 30 minutes is hardly extortionate for a city centre, I paid nearly £5 for one hour metered parking on a recent visit to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

I also understand parking in the evening will be free. This is a good thing. I certainly will be more inclined to visit a city centre restaurant if I know I can park close to it, whereas the current prospect of having to park in a multi-storey late at night isn't very appealing.

Overall I think think this is a positive step, unless my understanding of it is completely off the mark!
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #65
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the parking changes something of a double-edged sword? As part of the street parking plan, a lot more street parking spaces will be created, thus making it easier to park for short visits because the current limited number of free spaces fill very quickly anyway. If anything it will encourage more short visits surely?

50p for 30 minutes is hardly extortionate for a city centre, I paid nearly £5 for one hour metered parking on a recent visit to Birmingham Children's Hospital.

I also understand parking in the evening will be free. This is a good thing. I certainly will be more inclined to visit a city centre restaurant if I know I can park close to it, whereas the current prospect of having to park in a multi-storey late at night isn't very appealing.

Overall I think think this is a positive step, unless my understanding of it is completely off the mark!
I'm not paying 50p to stop for five minutes to just nip somewhere to get a coffee and a snack. That is it. No argument. It won't happen. I won't be using the city centre at all in the mornings. That's lost trade for retailers.

Those spaces have been free for an hour for as long as I can remember. Why is it good that they're now charging?

Parking was always free in the evenings in these places. This is purely a cash grab, nothing else.

On the plus side, the money I'll be saving will be handy!
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #66
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Partridge View Post
Thinking should really be moving towards offering free parking, given the absolutely dire state of the City Centre.

It's not as if there are great alternatives to the car, due to various mad cap schemes, most buses only stop on the periphery of the City Centre.

God it really is a mess, I don't live in Coventry any more but every time I come back I'm more and more glad.

It's like a large Nuneaton, it should be more like a small Birmingham.
To be fair, parking in Coventry is really quite cheap in places like Belgrade Plaza. You can park there for free for an hour, which is good, as we rarely spend more than an hour in the city centre.

I know what you mean about Nuneaton.
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #67
skybluecity

Quote:
I'm not paying 50p to stop for five minutes to just nip somewhere to get a coffee and a snack. That is it. No argument. It won't happen. I won't be using the city centre at all in the mornings. That's lost trade for retailers.

Those spaces have been free for an hour for as long as I can remember. Why is it good that they're now charging?

Parking was always free in the evenings in these places. This is purely a cash grab, nothing else.

On the plus side, the money I'll be saving will be handy!
Like I say. This is a very positive step forward. We've all been calling for more street parking in Coventry and they are creating more street parking. These free spaces are limited anyway - I couldn't even tell you where any of them are. The idea of parking on the street anywhere in Coventry city centre is alien to me, I don't think I've ever tried it. If there is to be more of it, and it is generally more accessible then good, I will use it, because I quite often make trips into town of less than an hour and always park in a multi-storey which is not exactly convenient. As long as this new street parking is free in the evenings (which it is) then that's fine by me.

Of course, you will never please all of the people all of the time, and I say all this on the assumption that more road side spaces are being created (because that's what they said) but actually I've no idea if they are or not. Can anyone confirm if they are?

Edit: They are actually doubling the number of spaces to over 400. I wasn't aware there were that many spaces already in place. Were they free all day?

Last edited by skybluecity; October 30th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #68
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

I don't object to the paying aspect, I object to the fact that spaces that were useful for a quick trip of a few minutes are being made into spaces that you have to pay for. I don't give a stuff about any other use cases as I don't park there for more than 10 minutes.

The street parking spaces are littered around the city centre. Yes, I agree it's good that there are more, but I suspect a lot of people use street parking around Warwick Road to make quick trips to shops or banks. They should have taken that into account. It's very easy to be sensible and allow 20 minutes for free to cater for short trips. I've been parking around Warwick Road and New Union street for years in the mornings.

You can park free for an hour in Belgrade Plaza, by the way. Then it goes up to 1.80 for over an hour.
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #69
skybluecity

Most significant for me is that for the first time in my lifetime, the city council have introduced a measure where the stated aim is to encourage more people to drive into the city centre and park on city centre streets. That's quite a significant departure from recent policy (even if at the heart of it they see an opportunity to generate revenue for council coffers).
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #70
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
Most significant for me is that for the first time in my lifetime, the city council have introduced a measure where the stated aim is to encourage more people to drive into the city centre and park on city centre streets. That's quite a significant departure from recent policy (even if at the heart of it they see an opportunity to generate revenue for council coffers).
Well it's about time, although I believe businesses in Priory Place were complaining about lack of nearby on street parking, although I think that place has many more problems.

There was actually plenty of on street free parking around the city centre, but most of it's not that close to the precinct. We park on streets like Whitefriar's and Little Park Street, and walk to the shops. There was a few spaces on Warwick Road, but they got covered up when they did the recent work and moved further up the street. There was some opposite the 'Squirrel' and some around the corner by the back of the methodist hall - about 5 or six spaces. This is where I usually stop in the morning, and you can generally always find a space.

I think there was some free parking around Spon Street as well.

These days we use Belgrade Plaza and just stay for an hour. If I'm going to pay for parking I'd rather go somewere that's worth it.

Coventry really does remind me of Nelson in Lancashire. I remember when they pedestrianised the town centre when I was a kid. There was a huge uproar about it. It killed the town centre. People found it too hard to get into and park, so they went down the road to places like Burnley and Colne - the council really didn't realise that a lot of the trade was from passing trade on the streets and didn't listen to the traders who told them this. At one point you couldn't even get to the cash points without paying to park! Ridiculous.

Now they are trying to reverse it, but it's too late. Even 'Farmfoods' is moving out, and the main shopping mall has been in administration for years. Literally whole streets around the 'precinct' are boarded up and about to be demolished - many of them fine Victorian cottages and townhouses. I couldn't believe it the last time I was there. When my parents moved up there in the 1970s, it was a nice Victorian Town with elegant streets and buildings. The council tore it all down and replaced it with a dead precinct. Like Coventry, poor decisions, poor planning and bad ideas have destroyed it, and no one is held accountable.
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #71
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

So when do people think the following developments will actually begin (Or restart):

Friargate (Supposedly 2012/2013)
Bishopsgate
Belgrade Plaza (next phases.)

I wonder what plans there are for finishing off 'Millennium Place'? If I had the money, I'd rip up all that square, the stupid bridge and build a concert venue there plus a conference centre or something. And rebuild the street up to the ringroad. Or something.

What about the next phase of Fargo, the hotel at the bottom? I like that idea a lot.
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:59 AM   #72
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Documentary about food banks on TV... Set in Coventry.

Not cheerful watching.
Old October 31st, 2012, 06:26 PM   #73
CovAD

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
So when do people think the following developments will actually begin (Or restart):

Friargate (Supposedly 2012/2013)
Bishopsgate
Belgrade Plaza (next phases.)

I wonder what plans there are for finishing off 'Millennium Place'? If I had the money, I'd rip up all that square, the stupid bridge and build a concert venue there plus a conference centre or something. And rebuild the street up to the ringroad. Or something.

What about the next phase of Fargo, the hotel at the bottom? I like that idea a lot.
Bishopsgate may start in the next 12-18 months I reckon - supermarket based stuff seems to go up quick in Coventry.

Belgrade Plaza I think may just end up being canned, unless it's all turned over to student accommodation in which casein the next two years (at which point falling stuudent numbers will start to have an impact and it'll become a bit of a white elephant)

Friargate I think will end up like Swanswell - little things going on around it to try and keep the thing ticking over but on the whole nothing happening. It's just far too big to be feasible in this city.

Fargo I think has a good chance of going ahead as it's still going on at a nice steady pace. Although I still don't like the design of the hotel.
CovAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:47 AM   #74
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Bishopsgate got outline permission (It was just outline, wasn't it?) almost two years ago now! Hardly 'quick'. The upgrade of the Tesco in Canley hasn't started and that got full permission years ago. I don't think those huge stores actually do that well.
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:14 AM   #75
Typhoon2000
"Romeo Alpha 1 at 5000"

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Bishopsgate got outline permission (It was just outline, wasn't it?) almost two years ago now! Hardly 'quick'. The upgrade of the Tesco in Canley hasn't started and that got full permission years ago. I don't think those huge stores actually do that well.
Wasn't there a pharmacy that was refusing to budge from the Cannon Centre.. I remember hearing about the plans back in 1999 when I used to work there!

I went back there last year and was shocked to find they had the same decor from that period!!!

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM   #76
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Wasn't there a pharmacy that was refusing to budge from the Cannon Centre.. I remember hearing about the plans back in 1999 when I used to work there!

I went back there last year and was shocked to find they had the same decor from that period!!!
I don't think so. Tesco own the whole mall, and they were planning ro keep it and add more stores. It's a bit of a dump. I remember what it was like before they enclosed it!

Edit: i think you are thinking of Asda at Walsgrave... It originally had a small row of shop units inside, but they got rid of them when they built the new store a few years back.

Last edited by NewTroll; November 1st, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #77
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

The parking bays with meters are now empty in the mornings. Prior to that, they would be either full or almost full. (Sometimes I wouldn't be able to find a spot.)
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM   #78
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Time for a drive-thru cafe??

Old November 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM   #79
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Time for a drive-thru cafe??
Yes please! When are you opening?
Old November 1st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #80
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

I can't believe that no franchise has thought of it there. In Los Angeles they have drive-thru ATMs as well as all the other kinds like fast food, pharmacies, post offices! I like cycling here and keeping it real!
But it does prove as you said NT that the bays that do charge are now empty so it could be a bad move....

Tags
coventry