daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #121
skybluecity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Coventry & Mallorca
Posts: 707
Likes (Received): 4

The general impression I was getting from comments amount empty units, all the clubs having gone, it being a depressing place etc. suggested that some were perhaps thinking that. Perhaps I was wrong.

Personally I don't think it's any more or less depressing that it was when it first opened, and it was pretty depressing then (even before they plonked Ikea in front of it). The fact that one chain restaurant has been replaced by another chain restaurant and that the clubs have been replaced by a health club and casino aren't really of any significance. It remains a mixed-use leisure facility and I suspect they'll continue to be a steady turnover of tenants. It is what it is I suppose. I'll be interested to see what the changes involve.
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #122
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
The general impression I was getting from comments amount empty units, all the clubs having gone, it being a depressing place etc. suggested that some were perhaps thinking that. Perhaps I was wrong.

Personally I don't think it's any more or less depressing that it was when it first opened, and it was pretty depressing then (even before they plonked Ikea in front of it). The fact that one chain restaurant has been replaced by another chain restaurant and that the clubs have been replaced by a health club and casino aren't really of any significance. It remains a mixed-use leisure facility and I suspect they'll continue to be a steady turnover of tenants. It is what it is I suppose. I'll be interested to see what the changes involve.
No, I just noticed that there was what appeared to be an empty unit the other day... But it's a club. I believe this means the whole complex is now full. I think the casino and gym are better than the clubs. Less trouble and it's more mixed now.
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #123
Fernando Partridge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 796
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
probably not as it would have provided WCC with enough assets to sort out financing... Personally I think there's also been a bit of political posturing going on and until they come up with some sort of semi-independent working group to bring everything together I can only see gridlock to the deal.
It mentions in the story about Coventry City Council excluding Warwickshire CC from discussions with ministers.

If true, this is a very very poor reflection on Coventry City Council. It has more strength as a City Region if its surrounding local authorities are seen to be on board.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #124
Fernando Partridge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 796
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post
The general impression I was getting from comments amount empty units, all the clubs having gone, it being a depressing place etc. suggested that some were perhaps thinking that. Perhaps I was wrong.

Personally I don't think it's any more or less depressing that it was when it first opened, and it was pretty depressing then (even before they plonked Ikea in front of it). The fact that one chain restaurant has been replaced by another chain restaurant and that the clubs have been replaced by a health club and casino aren't really of any significance. It remains a mixed-use leisure facility and I suspect they'll continue to be a steady turnover of tenants. It is what it is I suppose. I'll be interested to see what the changes involve.
In fairness, the exact same change, from Old Orleans to Harvester, happened in Manchester's printworks. I think it may have something to do with the owner of the brands rather than the Skydome itself.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #125
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Coventry's a bit of a joke, really. It has lost out already with the Enterprise zones. Losing its train links won't help. It also lost out on the elected mayor. Lots of supermarkets, though.
__________________
Good here, innit?

Last edited by NewTroll; November 9th, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #126
Sebadude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 2

I hear that Friargate is due to begin demolition work in Q3-4 2013.
Sebadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #127
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebadude View Post
I hear that Friargate is due to begin demolition work in Q3-4 2013.
The old job centre was demolished years ago and it's still an empty site.

When are they due to start building?
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #128
Sebadude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 2

No idea. Maybe they'll finish the City Centre South redevelopment first! Would be great to have that all finishing together though, that would really be a transformation.
Sebadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #129
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebadude View Post
No idea. Maybe they'll finish the City Centre South redevelopment first! Would be great to have that all finishing together though, that would really be a transformation.
I thought that south thing was going to start in 2016 or therabouts...
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #130
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Noodle and sushi bar opening up in Priory Place (Called Yukii)
Also something called Indian Village...
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #131
Sebadude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 2

Also at Priory Place, the former 'My China' unit (and then China Express) is reopening as Han Dynasty - looks like the existing business from the precinct is relocating here.

Additionally, the old First Sport / then duplicate JD Sports unit at Cathedral Lanes is reopening as Blacks - a welcome large chain for this area and a perfect replacement for Millets (owned by the same parent company) which closed earlier in the year.

One of the small units behind the Natwest Bank is about to open as 'Cranium', looks like a boutique of some sort.
Sebadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #132
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebadude View Post
Also at Priory Place, the former 'My China' unit (and then China Express) is reopening as Han Dynasty - looks like the existing business from the precinct is relocating here.

Additionally, the old First Sport / then duplicate JD Sports unit at Cathedral Lanes is reopening as Blacks - a welcome large chain for this area and a perfect replacement for Millets (owned by the same parent company) which closed earlier in the year.

One of the small units behind the Natwest Bank is about to open as 'Cranium', looks like a boutique of some sort.
Han Dynasty was absolutely disgusting. I ate there once... I always lie My Chna, mainly for their Rendang dishes!

Tonight we have been to Red Pana, as we had to go back into the city centre to pick up a lost Teddy. It was very busy. A lot of Chinese folks, but they were not using the buffet. They were given proper menus.

JD Sports own Blacks. So they must just be reusing their existing lease.

The cafe opposite the library is looking good.. Sorgano Caffe, I think. It's hard to read the title at night!
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #133
Sebadude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 2

Yes, I believe the cafe unit applied to use the first floor as a balcony of sorts! Wonder if they'll be allowed?
Sebadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #134
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebadude View Post
Yes, I believe the cafe unit applied to use the first floor as a balcony of sorts! Wonder if they'll be allowed?
Interesting.., i am trying to picture what the upper level looks like! Is there a planning app for it? What is the name of that 'street'?

Here it is:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=741734
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #135
Sebadude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 2

I'm not sure. I can't even remember if there's an overhanging roof on that particular building! I think there might be...
Sebadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #136
Fernando Partridge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 796
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Interesting.., i am trying to picture what the upper level looks like! Is there a planning app for it? What is the name of that 'street'?

Here it is:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/port...et?PKID=741734
Is it Smithford Way?

Ps - is this the former travel agents? I remember there was a television shop down there at one stage. I can't remember the last time I walked that way tbh, must be 6 years or more.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #137
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Partridge View Post
Is it Smithford Way?

Ps - is this the former travel agents? I remember there was a television shop down there at one stage. I can't remember the last time I walked that way tbh, must be 6 years or more.
Yes, it's Smithford Way.

It was the opticians - Dolland and Aitcheson. The travel agent is still there (We used to a few months back to get some Euros.)

I was there yesterday (Twice) and can't remember if there's any sort of overhang. Just goes to show how little notice you take of things above street level. I think there is something on Marks and Spencers... Not sure how far down it goes.
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #138
Sebadude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 2

Now that I remember, the former Bakers' Oven / 'Covee Shop' unit is being refurbed to become a delicatessen. It's a large unit, perhaps they'll be able to fit a cafe in there too?
Sebadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #139
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebadude View Post
Now that I remember, the former Bakers' Oven / 'Covee Shop' unit is being refurbed to become a delicatessen. It's a large unit, perhaps they'll be able to fit a cafe in there too?
Do you remember the Alma? Used to love that shop.

I noticed that shop was being fitted out the other morning. It's a fairly big unit, isn't it?
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #140
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso
 
NewTroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Coventry
Posts: 4,333
Likes (Received): 53

The orignal plans for the post office building, December 2010:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...2746-27781001/

It looks like they were going to keep the old building's structure but reclad it... By the time they got outline permission, it had become just a supermarket with a gym unit and a coffee shop... And a lot of car parking.

Competely forgot that it changed so much!
__________________
Good here, innit?
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
coventry

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu