daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #61
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
My most hated buildings are the endless amounts of bland ugly glass condos sprouting up everywhere in Toronto and Vancouver which make the skyline ugly and cluttered. Those cities have become such sell-outs that they've lost their pre-2000 elegance.

Saying that, one of my most hated buildings of all time is the king of ugly glass condos in Toronto, the Trump Tower. It looks like the retarded brother of First Canadian Place and Scotiabank. It takes away so much from those two buildings, and ruins one of their best viewing angles. To make matters worse, they used an ugly postmodernist cladding (beige brick with green glass is the ugliest possible cladding style, imo) and placed an unfitting 1/4 onion dome on top as an afterthought. There are far uglier buildings around the world, but there are few buildings that tick me off as much as that one.
Trust me, everybody in the city agrees with you on Trump. not so many on how all the other buildings in the city are ugly. we had lots of disgraceful duds, but many more success stories IMHO.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #62
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I absolutely hate those things. They ruin Toronto's skyline and cut the city off front the water. Viewed head on fron the lake they look even worse as the other one fans out the other way creating a 35 floor high wall 200m long. Btw, I also liked Perth's skyline way more before BHP.
hard to believe they originally planned to build 10 of the buggers, but only actually got 2 finished.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #63
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10785

I had no idea! It could have been so much worse.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #64
guy4versa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloripaNation View Post
Chrysler... ugly????????!!

who say its ugly
guy4versa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #65
gundust
Gundust

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Pompidou Center, designed by Richard Rogers.
Renzo Piano + Richard Rogers
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #66
Shinkicker

Likes (Received): 0

The SCOTTISH PARLIAMENT building in Edinburgh has come in for much invective and ridicule. Personally I liked it but it has certainly divided opinion.
http://shinkicker.hubpages.com/hub/M...ish-Parliament

Old November 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #67
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

yeah chrysler for me too. the building is not ugly, i don't really mind it at all, it's not ugly nor very beautiful, but it is overrated, i would not mind this tower if it wasn't for so many people saying it was so much better than other buildings and people comparing it to taller chinese buildings makes me quite rage. when people said ping-an is basically like the chrysler i just lost it and had to facepalm. most overrated building ever. a close second would be the empire state building, that i have similar feelings for, if people would see it as a normal building i wouldn't mind it, but due to it being overhyped so much, i start to not like it, especially a bit of time ago when there was voting for the nicest light up building, a lot of people suggested the empire state building, although the lighting on there is plain boring and nothing compared to other buildings, some people just vote for their favorite tower no matter what category it is.

/rant
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #68
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I agree. Chrysler is so overrated. It's not like the crown is that good. And without the crown, the building would just look like some resort tower in Miami. People often name it the best building in the world, but frankly, I don't see the hype. I've seen it myself, it's really not that impressive, compared to other buildings in NYC. There are far more beautiful art deco towers.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #69
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
yeah chrysler for me too. the building is not ugly, i don't really mind it at all, it's not ugly nor very beautiful, but it is overrated, i would not mind this tower if it wasn't for so many people saying it was so much better than other buildings and people comparing it to taller chinese buildings makes me quite rage. when people said ping-an is basically like the chrysler i just lost it and had to facepalm. most overrated building ever. a close second would be the empire state building, that i have similar feelings for, if people would see it as a normal building i wouldn't mind it, but due to it being overhyped so much, i start to not like it, especially a bit of time ago when there was voting for the nicest light up building, a lot of people suggested the empire state building, although the lighting on there is plain boring and nothing compared to other buildings, some people just vote for their favorite tower no matter what category it is.

/rant
In my opinion Pingan looks far better than Chrysler
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #70
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1602

I don't want to sounds overly defensive, but saying that Chrysler is even a bit ugly is a bit too much. There are literally tens of thousands of worse structures in the world.
Buildings should also be judged by the time they were built in, and Chrysler is just amazing for the era. For me it was the peak of architecture available at the time and since then nothing came close when compared to the technology available. Economy and pursuit of the highest rent price/floor area ratio forced investors to focus more on bombarding cities with boring glass boxes.
For me it's just the fact that Chrysler Building avoided all of the modern traps of decorative design - it has a varied facade, but nothing seems forced. Eagles give it a way of connecting traditional facade-based sculptures with rather futuristic facade elements that came after it, and the crown doesn't seem disconnected from the rest.
I don't think that it's overrated - it's an icon, even if it might be outdated by the technology we have now. Saying that you don't like it is one thing and saying that it's widely too "liked" is another
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #71
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boribel View Post
Beaubourg in Paris :

Agree, I hate the Beauborg. Really 'borg' architecture!

These John Portman-designed buildings in San Francisco which comprise the Embarcadero Center are so bland, massive and positioned do badly. They cut off the views of other buildings.

UGLY!! Really hate them!
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #72
Fenlander

Likes (Received): 1

Kunsthaus Graz

If this building were located in a modern district of a large city I'd perhaps look at it in a more favourable light. Graz is neither a large city and I'm not aware a modern district exists within its boundaries, and for that reason I think this building looks ridiculous. In fact I think it resembles a giant caterpillar worming its way through the pretty surrounding buildings.

George Costanza liked this post
Fenlander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #73
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

1.Palace of Parliament ( House of People )

2.House of Free Press ( Scanteii House before 1989 )

3.Sala Palatului - it's built exactly next to the ex-Royal Palace in Center Bucharest, now a Museum.

PaulFCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #74
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Kunsthaus Graz

If this building were located in a modern district of a large city I'd perhaps look at it in a more favourable light. Graz is neither a large city and I'm not aware a modern district exists within its boundaries, and for that reason I think this building looks ridiculous. In fact I think it resembles a giant caterpillar worming its way through the pretty surrounding buildings.
It's more like a giant, mutant udder with a really ugly color. How did that get built?
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #75
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFCB View Post
1.Palace of Parliament ( House of People )

2.House of Free Press ( Scanteii House before 1989 )

3.Sala Palatului - it's built exactly next to the ex-Royal Palace in Center Bucharest, now a Museum.

Most Soviet-era Stalinist architecture are really eyesores.

#3 isn't too bad. At least the curved roof gives the area some soft lines.
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #76
Knitemplar

Quote:
I agree. Chrysler is so overrated. It's not like the crown is that good. And without the crown, the building would just look like some resort tower in Miami. People often name it the best building in the world, but frankly, I don't see the hype. I've seen it myself, it's really not that impressive, compared to other buildings in NYC. There are far more beautiful art deco towers.
Totally agree. Luckily all those spikes are on top, so people don't have to see them everyday. THe interiors of Radio City Music Hall are among the best examples of Art Deco architecture in NYC.
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #77
Abinash89

Likes (Received): 593

Antilia,Mumbai...
Believe me guys it's the most hated building in the world as over 1 billion people in India simply hates it because of its owner.

[IMG]http://i56.************/2pyutmd.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Abinash89; November 10th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Abinash89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #78
guy4versa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopacz View Post
Buildings should also be judged by the time they were built in, and Chrysler is just amazing for the era.
dont think so..i think it should be judged at the time we judged it..and yes,it beautiful at past but not now..otherwise..this thread is about the most hated building,so there's no right or wrong...its personal taste.

- Chrysler building is just okay,not beautiful and not ugly,but the reason i hate it because people are too defensive on this building,to adore and talk like there no other building in the world can defeat it..
guy4versa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #79
Knitemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
Antilia,Mumbai...
Looks like the infamous lair in Abbottabad x 10, and this one can house like 10 bin-Ladins!!
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #80
Nopnapa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abinash89 View Post
Antilia,Mumbai...
Believe me guys it's the most hated building in the world as over 1 billion people in India simply hates it because of its owner.

[IMG]http://i56.************/2pyutmd.jpg[/IMG]
he so wealthy
Nopnapa no está en línea   Reply With Quote