daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #81
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
#3 isn't too bad. At least the curved roof gives the area some soft lines.
#3 wouldn't have been that bad if it would have been placed somewhere else, not glued to the Royal Palace.
It would have been a nice square/park in the back of the now used as National Museum of Art.

PaulFCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #82
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFCB View Post
1.Palace of Parliament ( House of People )

2.House of Free Press ( Scanteii House before 1989 )

3.Sala Palatului - it's built exactly next to the ex-Royal Palace in Center Bucharest, now a Museum.

Esti nebun?

Maybe it is hated for the history
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #83
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:

2.House of Free Press ( Scanteii House before 1989 )

3.Sala Palatului - it's built exactly next to the ex-Royal Palace in Center Bucharest, now a Museum.

Those three buildings look the best out of that garbage dumped all around it.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #84
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Kunsthaus Graz

WTF!!!
Whose stupid idea was it to build this?
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #85
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
WTF!!!
That building looks terrible, it looks like some kind of organ cut out and placed in the middle of a nice little town.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #86
ThatOneGuy

I don't understand why Parisians protest against nice buildings like Hermitage Plaza and Tour Phare, in a district of skyscrapers, from being built, yet other European countries have the nerve to built monstrosities like those in historic villages. That building should be shown to each French NIMBY protest to show that they really do not have it as bad as they think.

I'm so sad. I thought my 'ugliest building in the world' record would never again be broken
Old November 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #87
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
Agree, I hate the Beauborg. Really 'borg' architecture!

These John Portman-designed buildings in San Francisco which comprise the Embarcadero Center are so bland, massive and positioned do badly. They cut off the views of other buildings.

UGLY!! Really hate them!
I like the Embarcadero Center and its sister center in Atlanta, but they would fit L. A. or San Diego much better.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #88
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
WTF!!!
Probably the city fathers of Salzburg and Innsbruck.

Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #89
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere

hard to believe they originally planned to build 10 of the buggers, but only actually got 2 finished.
10? oh man

might as well build a concrete wall
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #90
quadi

Likes (Received): 32

I really, really hate the radisson blu hotel in antwerp. This ugly thing is standing in opposite of the magnificent central station.

source: http://www.zoover.be/belgie/antwerpe...-antwerp/hotel
quadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #91
cmj2k2

Likes (Received): 7

These building in Albany New York are absolutely hideous and should be destroyed IMMEDIATELY

source http://www.elcivics.com/state-lesson...a-albany-1.jpg
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #92
Paperyostrich
Kiwi to the rescue

Likes (Received): 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj2k2 View Post
These building in Albany New York are absolutely hideous and should be destroyed IMMEDIATELY

source http://www.elcivics.com/state-lesson...a-albany-1.jpg
I can agree with that one, especially since half the city itself was destroyed to build these monstrositites!
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #93
Evil78

Likes (Received): 1672

Quote:

In a strange way the Palace of Parliament can be considered as the most hated building, but at the same time also one of the most beloved ones in Bucharest. It is basically the attraction NR.1 in the Romanian capital.
I know that some of you will argue about this, but many people(locals) are in a way proud of it (as sick as that may sound, considering it's background).
Maybe only because it is one of the biggest buildings in the world (the biggest in Europe)... And it is 100% romanian, built by hard working romanians, using romanian construction materials.

Last edited by Evil78; November 12th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Evil78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #94
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 278

I really like most of the buildings in this thread. Where are the hated buildings?
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #95
Skizo91
Photographer

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsPlanet2 View Post
I really like most of the buildings in this thread. Where are the hated buildings?
This.
Skizo91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #96
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsPlanet2 View Post
These types of threads usually feature lots of non-traditional buildings and predictably some of my favourite buildings in the world. They ruffle people's feathers rather than being ugly, that's why most of them are showcased.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #97
ThatOneGuy

I hate it when towers are overrated. Like Chrysler and Petronas Towers. They're above average at best, but really, they're not in their own league, as many people say.
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #98
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1603

Quote:
I hate it when towers are overrated. Like Chrysler and Petronas Towers. They're above average at best, but really, they're not in their own league, as many people say.
Different tastes, because I consider Chrysler to be the peak of architecture before it went downhill, but that overrated part is a good point.
I don't know how many people will agree, but I simply can't understand people that praise every design by Zaha Hadid.
She does some nice-looking buildings, but I feel as if I was looking at the Andromeda starship cut into parts or some forced-fancy perfume bottles.
It's weird, because no matter how ugly a building is, it makes me feel something, unlike her designs which just "exist". However her new proposal looks I just see no context in comparison to the area it's being placed in. Not a single time have I looked at a structure and thought "well, that fits here".
A lot of these buildings could be described as futuristic, but I'm not sure if it's the futurism we want - without a sense of scale, surroundings or even shape.
Kopacz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #99
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
First building I ever fell in love with was Chrysler, and I haven't seen another building that stunned me like it did. When I showed it to some friends and family, they absolutely loved it too, not having any hometown bias. I have a friend who saw the Petronas for the first time and then experienced the same feeling, and he had never even heard of Kuala Lumpur. It's just unfortunate that so many people base their opinions on others, so these buildings do seem overrated, which turns others off of the buildings. One that I think is completely overrated is BOC Hong Kong, but loads of people love it. It's the buildings with designs that shock a considerable number of people that become overrated because others just agree with them. It's a bit of a stretch to call them only average however. They're better than anything modernist, and at least half of other style's designs. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, though.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #100
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

Quote:
totally this. the petronas towers are my favorite skyscrapers, but i am not saying they are superior to other buildings. i even get annoyed when i read stuff like that myself, although i love the building. a lot of people don't even say it is their favorite building, but instead everything else is bad. it seems so random and stupid sometimes to read extremely one sided posts. especially concerning the empire state building and chrysler building when some people consider everything except art deco is bad. it even made me not enjoy art deco anymore, although i always liked it before i was starting to get active on this website, just because it is so overrated.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote