daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #101
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

I think American Radiator is very under rated. If would be famous if it were twice as tall.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #102
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I absolutely love it.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #103
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's my favourite old building in NYC behind Woolworth.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #104
midrise

Likes (Received): 611

The Woolworth building, gothic meets art deco, stunning..
midrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #105
ThatOneGuy

No art deco in Woolworth.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:25 AM   #106
ThatOneGuy

Worldwide Plaza, NYC.

Can't stand this one. Grrr...
The one with the round roof also annoys me.
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:25 AM   #107
Amastroi2017
The Power Of Roof Height

Likes (Received): 112

Shard London Bridge is my most hated skyscraper. The parapet is the only reason it is included as a supertall but it probably only has a roof height of less than 950 feet. Not to mention it destroys whatever skyline London has. It will never match up to the beautiful spherical buildings of London.

Amastroi2017 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM   #108
tita01

Likes (Received): 883

most hated building
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM   #109
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitemplar View Post
Agree, I hate the Beauborg. Really 'borg' architecture!

These John Portman-designed buildings in San Francisco which comprise the Embarcadero Center are so bland, massive and positioned do badly. They cut off the views of other buildings.

UGLY!! Really hate them!
I like these
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:02 PM   #110
CDNer

Likes (Received): 107

20 Fenchurch Street , London
i really hate this horrible building! it ruins the whole area, it's eyesore. and it is sadly going to be finished in a not very long time!

http://www.urbika.com/imgs/projects/...rch-street.jpg

il fenomeno liked this post
CDNer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #111
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amastroi2017 View Post
Shard London Bridge is my most hated skyscraper. The parapet is the only reason it is included as a supertall but it probably only has a roof height of less than 950 feet. Not to mention it destroys whatever skyline London has. It will never match up to the beautiful spherical buildings of London.
I totally disagree, I think it matches the spires of London. Probably fits the skyline more than any other building under construction there.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:54 PM   #112
Ferahim

Likes (Received): 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by tita01 View Post

most hated building
Is this exist?
Ferahim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM   #113
tita01

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferahim View Post
Is this exist?
under construction
Old December 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #114
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

6 pages full of examples here and honestly I don't think any one of them is even anywhere close to the truely most hated buildings in the world.

When looking through the pages of this thread I started wondering what aspects a truely hated building would have to have to be one of the worlds most hated buildings.

First of all I think it would have to be extremely well known worldwide and iconic and the building must represent or be a symbol for something commonly and truely hated.

I'm not 100% sure which buildings might be good candidates for actually most hated buildings right now today, but the first widely hated buildings that came to my mind are historic symbols and were extremely hated worldwide for what they represented and the ones that came to mind first were all German buildings. Not only because I live here in Germany but because of the German history.

So in the sense of a ranking which buildings were most hated in their time, my list of the top 3 candidates for the most hated building that came to my mind looks like this:

The main entrance building of the extermination camp Auschwitz-Birkenau.

The Berlin Wall (But as mentioned the berlin wall was certainly one of the worlds most hated buildings during the cold war. Today I wouldn't say it still is one of the most hated buildings anymore, because today its remains of course also represent the fall of the wall in 1989 and the German reunification, so the buildings meaning has partially changed with the course of history.

The Iron Curtain. (Of course basically the same kind of thing as the Berlin Wall but, the Wall and the Iron Curtain are of course two different buildings and not just one.)

Now these three examples above are certainly not being hated as much right now today as they once have been hated in the past. Today they simply have become historic monuments and the monuments themselves are of course not being hated anymore today, the just remind us of something horrible that happened in the past.

So I was wondering which buildings might be the actually most hated buildings right now today.

And I didn't really come up with all that much, because I couldn't think of some buildings that really are woldwide icons and resemble something really horrific or hated in the way Auschwitz or the Berlin Wall resemble the holocaust or the cold war.

But of course hatred can also be directed agains things and buildings that resemple positive aspects at the same time.
And with the widespread antiamericanism, especially in several arab or islamic countries I figured the most hated building today migh probably be an iconic building that resembles the USA or the american dream or the modern western lifestyle.
I'm not all that sure which ones to pick and of course most iconic buildings of the USA at the same time also loved for what they represent to americans or in the western world.

So a list of buildings which are being hated in some parts of the world or by certain people (because of those peoples anti americanism or the anti western ideology or traditionalistic or religious extremism etc) would probably include the Statue of Liberty, the Golden Gate Brige, the White House, the Pentagon and others. But as I said those buildings of course polarize, so there are those that are proud of them or that like and admire of what they resemble and not only those that hate what these buzildings stand for.

Simmilar to those single buildings, I'm sure one could also include all these MC Donalds fastfood restaurants as symbols for the western lifestyle western cultures and fast food. But in that case it would of course be a typical prototype of building copied and errected over and over in the world and not just a single specific iconic building.

There are of course also plenty of other buildings that are being hated by some, basically any iconic building in the world is also being hated by someone, be it the Kreml, the Eiffel Tower or Sancti Petri in Vaticano or any other iconic governmental or religious buildings which are iconic in their way and are of course also being hated by some people for what they each represent.

And then additionally there are of course also Buildings which represent disasters like the Chernobyl nuklear powerplant or the power plant in Fukushima or terrorist attacts like theTwin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York etc... But as withother iconic monuments I'm not quite sure how much these buildings (or former buildings) are or were really truely being hated themselves.

So I personally also don't have an answer to which the actually most hated building right now today might be, there simply are so many aspects, like how intensely the buildings and what they represent is being hated or how many people in the world hate them or which buildings are more known than others and generally comes to mind to people being asked for which buildings they dislike or hate etc...

So I'll just stick to the list of my top three hated iconic hustoric buildings up there in this post and pick the top number 1, the entrance building of the extinction camp Auschwitz-Birkenau as my top candidate for the most hated building ever in the history of mankind up to this day
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #115
ThatOneGuy

True, good points
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #116
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Alemania, u're taking this thing TOOO SERIOUSLY!! This is supposed to be a fun thread -- not a friggin' discourse on human behaviour. Remind me not to get stuck in a cab with you.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #117
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Kunsthaus Graz

If this building were located in a modern district of a large city I'd perhaps look at it in a more favourable light. Graz is neither a large city and I'm not aware a modern district exists within its boundaries, and for that reason I think this building looks ridiculous. In fact I think it resembles a giant caterpillar worming its way through the pretty surrounding buildings.

Is that a giant sow lying on her back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusCT View Post
I really really hate Lloyds bldng in London. It seems misplaced. Kind of ruins the skyline for me, even though it isnt that tall

I'm with you on this one; I mentally file it under: "Trying too Hard".
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #118
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I totally disagree, I think it matches the spires of London. Probably fits the skyline more than any other building under construction there.
A little mouse told me you hated spires...
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #119
ThatOneGuy

How many spire like structures are in London besides the old churches?
NYC has plenty of spires, there's a difference
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #120
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

^Have you ever seen pictures and paintings of London during the Victorian era?

Also, congratulations on your 5,000th post.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote