daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM   #161
acit_mag
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

there is lot ugly buildings in Belgrad IMO
acit_mag no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:45 AM   #162
alonefrv1505

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Since we have already a thread about ugly buildings, what about a thread about hated buildings. A building doesn't have to be ugly to be hated, though it can be. There are countless possibilities that can make somebody hate a building

The one building I hate the most is the new WTC PATH hub. The reason why I hate it so much is that it is essentially one huge money eating pit. It costs 3,44 billion dollars, it is an ugly, tiny and completely insignificant building and most of all it's horrible cost is the reason why the beautiful WTC towers didn't receive an impressive height, which they deserve. If they wanted to waste 3,44 billions they could have just give them away to random people. Even though there are far uglier buildings in the world, none of them makes my blood boil like this little bastard

with that money we can help a lot of people instead of using it to build this building
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:39 PM   #163
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Everyone says that money should be used for better causes but no-one does anything, and they never will. So just enjoy the construction because such money isn't going to any charity.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:43 PM   #164
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

The problem is that if that money goes to a skyscraper it will at least be used to contribute to the skyline and to make a new icon of the city. However if all that money goes to one tiny transit station it is completely wasted money Thatps why I find that station disgusting
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #165
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

If I was to chose between this beautiful transit hub and another bland glass box for wtc the decision would easy to me.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #166
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 876

Do the building need to be built to be posted here?

The Penang Global City Center would make a good candidate. It was very controversial with politics and hated with residents living near the area of this mega project. It is said that it will destroy the greenery of the area and bring traffic congestion to the nearby residential which is why is has now been shelved for an eternity if not forever.

Who in the right mind builds a commercial skyscraper at a foot of a hill next to a high end residential area?

Shame because if it was built in the city center or by the coast on reclaimed land it might be completed today.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

Last edited by CxIxMaN; January 4th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #167
djtan73

Likes (Received): 3

Perth's recent Brookfield Place skyscraper, completed just last year, has been the major addition to the city skyline and it's now the tallest structure in Perth. It's now the home of BHP Billiton.
I don't particularly like it because it just doesn't blend in with the surrounding environment - the truss structure at the very top is beyond meaningless. The overall aesthetics resemble altogether to milk cartons, personally.

Another major structure is the much loathed Perth Arena, the city's newest entertainment and sporting complex. It's currently hosting the Hopman Cup as of now.
Despite the 'squashed can' nickname, I like it to be honest!

George Costanza liked this post
djtan73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #168
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxIxMaN View Post
Do the building need to be built to be posted here?

The Penang Global City Center would make a good candidate. It was very controversial with politics and hated with residents living near the area of this mega project. It is said that it will destroy the greenery of the area and bring traffic congestion to the nearby residential which is why is has now been shelved for an eternity if not forever.

Who in the right mind builds a commercial skyscraper at a foot of a hill next to a high end residential area?

Shame because if it was built in the city center or by the coast on reclaimed land it might be completed today.
I personally like when skyscrapers are surrounded by nature. That makes them acceptable for me to live in (that is, if I had the horendous ammount of money which apartments in these things require ). I would never want to live in a dense city center without nature.

ZZ-II liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #169
seba65536

Likes (Received): 3254

Easy choice in Poland.

It's eyesore AND it's symbol of 50 year of communist occupation.

It was build by Russians in the center of Warsaw, after 1989 there were plans to destroy it, but in the end Warsawians decided to keep it, but build skyscrappers all around it to hide it from view.

EDIT: both photos by me.

Last edited by seba65536; January 17th, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
seba65536 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #170
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The people who use(d) it, in my opinion, factor in absolutely zero percent of my overall view on the building. History and location should have no effect on what a person thinks of a building and it is very unfair and stupid to judge them based on those. It looks like a nice gothic design, but it's dirty and needs a renovation.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #171
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I agree with you that all buildings should be rated fairly Though I do think that is one ugly buildings
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #172
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The people who use(d) it, in my opinion, factor in absolutely zero percent of my overall view on the building. History and location should have no effect on what a person thinks of a building and it is very unfair and stupid to judge them based on those. It looks like a nice gothic design, but it's dirty and needs a renovation.
Well it's not that spectacular on close-up anyway, as some of the elements are just tacky communist add-ons. Cleaning it up won't change much, as it would have to be literally painted white or buffed to death.
I think it should be torn apart with the communism, because it is the single biggest space-waster ever. The area could be used for 8 skyscrapers that would surely serve the city better.
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #173
Union.SLO
Existere et persistere

Likes (Received): 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by seba65536 View Post
Easy choice in Poland.
It was build by Russians in the center of Warsaw, after 1989 there were plans to destroy it, but in the end Warsawians decided to keep it, but build skyscrappers all around it to hide it from view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopacz View Post
Well it's not that spectacular on close-up anyway, as some of the elements are just tacky communist add-ons. Cleaning it up won't change much, as it would have to be literally painted white or buffed to death.
I think it should be torn apart with the communism, because it is the single biggest space-waster ever. The area could be used for 8 skyscrapers that would surely serve the city better.
I understand if you dislike its appearance, a matter of taste. Personaly I like it due to its stepped-back shape (resembles of Art Deco structures) and it somehow gives more character and historical backdrop to the Warsaw skyline.

But IMO it is wrong and obsolete thinking about demolishing it because of its history and what it used to represent. To have a critical view of those times yes, but destroying Palace of C&S would actually show the way of thinking has remained the same as then. Just think about how many old towns in the Eastern block were destroyed because Commies wanted to erase traces of the past, for them unwanted social orders. Can we surpass that mentality nowadays?

Don't get me wrong, many buildings from that period are architectural and especialy urbanist rubbish and should make place for a better, new development. But such iconic heritage buildings as Palace of C&S should stay: as a memory and a reminder!
Union.SLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #174
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

Don't worry it's already listed on the heritage list and such opinions are rather rare.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #175
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

It is a great example of Stalinist architecture, I fail to understand how one can critice the Palace but admire the Moscow University or the Ministry.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #176
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1604

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
It is a great example of Stalinist architecture, I fail to understand how one can critice the Palace but admire the Moscow University or the Ministry.
That's the same with Dubai skyscrapers or stuff like an iPhone. They look good (Dubai structures not so much), but if you look into them in detail, things change. I can admire the skyline of Dubai Marina, but I hate them because of the numerous workers' exploits that occur on the sites.
However, since I don't know the exact history of each country, I can't really say whether I hate a building for its history.
However, I know quite a bit about my country and the events that surrounded this building make it look a bit worse. To many people it's a remainder of the rather complicated and uncertain times that came afterwards.
I even like social architecture, when it was modest and useful. My city is full of such buildings, but the Palace isn't one of them. The style isn't my cup of tea either - it looks like a gothic that wanted to be modern art deco.
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #177
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
I wouldn't exactly call it stupid. It's easy to say outside when you have no connections that it's stupid. Why can't a building represent oppression like some symbol? I'm sure nobody would oppose taking down a big statue that was a nazi symbol. For the topic "most hated building" i actually think this kind of discussion is more than fitting.

All that said. I actually like it a lot looking it from these pictures and pics i have seen of it previously. I have always had soft spot for the high rises of that era. Be the tower build under communism or in NYC. Granted the spire is a bit wonky and cheap looking.

Quote:
The shard is one of the 10 or so buildings that are utterly flawless and perfect, IMO.

Yeah with the simplistic design and all i can't simply understand how could somebody call that building ugliest without some agenda. I'm sure some are fed up with the praises it gets, but ugliest. Just no.

Last edited by tonttula; January 17th, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #178
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
The one building I hate the most is the new WTC PATH hub. The reason why I hate it so much is that it is essentially one huge money eating pit. It costs 3,44 billion dollars, it is an ugly, tiny and completely insignificant building and most of all it's horrible cost is the reason why the beautiful WTC towers didn't receive an impressive height, which they deserve. If they wanted to waste 3,44 billions they could have just give them away to random people. Even though there are far uglier buildings in the world, none of them makes my blood boil like this little bastard

Quote:
The problem is that if that money goes to a skyscraper it will at least be used to contribute to the skyline and to make a new icon of the city. However if all that money goes to one tiny transit station it is completely wasted money Thatps why I find that station disgusting
You need to understand that the top priority will always be functionality above aesthetics, a conception that needs to be clear particularly on you if you want to become an engineer. What good is to have a colosal building if it can't accomplish the daily needs of a neighbourhood?

About the money wasting management, more than 70% of the total cost of the project is being funded by the Federal Transit Administration ($2.87 out of a total $3.995 billion). While I agree the entire project is well over-budgeted, it is important to mention that part of this over budget relies on the nature of the site on which it is taking place, almost everything needs to be revisioned over and over again in order to avoid future problems on any scenario, you also need to take into account that due to the intervention of a large amount of subcontractors, the price to pay to workers is just too damn high. Yes, it is expensive to build in the US.

The hub is not "one tiny transit station" as you may believe, you're talking about the most complex project on the entire city -and perhaps one of the most challenging man has faced-, its complexity rely on the fact that it literally touches every single project on a over compacted 16 acre site, and even further beyond (i.e. Brookfield 9A underpass or MTA's Fulton Transit Station).

Sorry Kanto, but I'll have to defend the hub to the end, leave aesthetics to another time, this thing will easily become an engineering marvel of our century.

Last edited by Otie; January 17th, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #179
bart123

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seba65536 View Post
Easy choice in Poland.

EDIT: both photos by me.
The building looks really nice at night!
bart123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #180
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

They should let Kristo drape that thing with something else.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote