daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2017, 03:55 AM   #321
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMyth View Post
Destroyed by Donald Trump.
To be fair, if Trump never bought and demolished the old Stewart & Co. building, it would likely have been bought and desecrated by a damn college. It happened to B. Altman's Fifth Avenue store, which is an underutilized use for its location on today's revitalized Fifth Avenue.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2017, 04:37 AM   #322
bumbledah.

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
To be fair, if Trump never bought and demolished the old Stewart & Co. building, it would likely have been bought and desecrated by a damn college. It happened to B. Altman's Fifth Avenue store, which is an underutilized use for its location on today's revitalized Fifth Avenue.
Would other developers be quoted as calling 15’ tall bas-reliefs and 20’ tall and ‘30 wide gilded grillwork of the Art Deco as ‘without artistic merit’? Or having received nearly 60 million dollars in tax abatements by the city only to go back on a promise to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to donate the pieces? All of which transpired in the papers under a false name and lies that the estimated $36,000 it would take to remove the works would actually cost $500,000 and go on three weeks instead of the actual estimate of ten days. What a costly expenditure in a 100 million dollar project.
Old November 25th, 2017, 04:50 AM   #323
RegentHouse

I guarantee you every other major developer, even in this day and age.

The main issue was removing the bas-reliefs, which couldn't be done at the time without completely closing off the street, and risk of them crumbling to pieces upon removal or posing a safety hazard.
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #324
bumbledah.

Quote:
I guarantee you every other major developer, even in this day and age.

The main issue was removing the bas-reliefs, which couldn't be done at the time without completely closing off the street, and risk of them crumbling to pieces upon removal or posing a safety hazard.
A ten-day street closure isn't worth the preservation of such monumentally sized and valuable pieces of American history for centuries to come? The extremely unlikely risk of anyone getting hurt justifies the usage of fake names, backtracking on promises to a public institution and outright lying to the media? I've yet to hear of another developer, from then or now, who has gone so far against promises to the public in the name of avoiding an extra $36,000 charge in a $100 million project.

TheLastGentleman liked this post
bumbledah. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #325
robertwood

Likes (Received): 321

Hey, I'll jump in. Yes I personally wish Trump would have saved the bas relief sculptures. I'm not sure that another developer would have done any different though. He is after all a businessman and has responsibilities to do what is good for his business. But lets have some fairness. Trump did restore some grand old hotel in New York when nobody else would touch it. BUt for him it probably would have been torn down. Preservation of that hotel revitialized the whole area. Trump recently did a beautiful job on the old Post Office Building in Washington D.C. so lets not be CNN about him.
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 04:08 AM   #326
bumbledah.

What NY building are you referring to?

The treatment of the Old Post Office Building was anything but 'beautiful':

Quote:
Another preservationist architect, John Cullinane, working on the project resigned "because I couldn’t support what they were doing to the building... [t]hey were covering up or tearing out everything that was historic..."[106]
Quote:
A Vanity Fair review described the hotel as grand on the outside, a complete disaster and "a frightful dump" on the inside.[144] In December 2016, Luxury Travel Intelligence reviewed the Trump Hotel and found major shortcomings in its service and operations. It called the decor "garish", said that it was not suited to the discerning business traveler, and ranked it as the third worst hotel in the world.[145]
Quote:
For 16 years until 2015, the Sakura Matsuri-Japanese Street Festival, the largest Japanese Cultural Festival in the United States, took place throughout a spring-time day on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the Old Post Office Building. The Festival's location enabled the event to be near the route of the annual Cherry Blossom Parade, which traveled nearby along Constitution Avenue during the same day (see National Cherry Blossom Festival).[147][148]

However, in 2016 and 2017, the Street Festival's organizers were forced to move their event to a distant location in Washington, D.C.[148][149] The Festival's relocation became necessary after the Trump Organization negotiated a deal with the Government of the District of Columbia that requires a 20 feet (6 m)-wide lane on Pennsylvania Avenue to remain open to the Trump International Hotel's customers and valet parking service except during major events such as presidential inaugural parades, thus leaving insufficient space on the Avenue for the festival's activities and for those of other events formerly held near the building.[148]

City Cityzen, Dockside liked this post
bumbledah. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #327
TheLastGentleman

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
Trump did restore some grand old hotel in New York when nobody else would touch it. BUt for him it probably would have been torn down. Preservation of that hotel revitialized the whole area.
Are you talking about the old Commodore Hotel next to Grand Central? The historic building Trump completely smothered in glass? What a miserable renovation. Deserves to be on here if it isn't already.

erbse, City Cityzen liked this post
TheLastGentleman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #328
TheLastGentleman

Quote:
To be fair, if Trump never bought and demolished the old Stewart & Co. building, it would likely have been bought and desecrated by a damn college.
What does this even mean???
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #329
RegentHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbledah. View Post
What NY building are you referring to?
I assume he means the Grand Hyatt New York, which was formerly the Commodore Hotel and admittedly a very insensitive renovation. Understand the fact it was NYC's Dark Ages of the 1970s. Also it's likely reversible, but everybody wants to see it demolished for twin towers with a giant condom ring suspended over Grand Central Terminal. You still even get horrid renovations of classical buildings like 3 Columbus Circle. If it was ten years later, I bet he would have restored it like he did with Mar-a-Lago and the Old Post Office Building.

Quote:
The treatment of the Old Post Office Building was anything but 'beautiful':
It was a white elephant for decades because of the government's incompetence, and Trump has allowed it to be utilized at its full potential quite symbolically.

Quoting Wikipedia, eh? You don't think all that's just out of spite against Trump, or would still be biased if he wasn't president? Recall many critics liked Trump Tower upon completion, yet now it's suddenly and conveniently loathed. Also, I'd take what Vanity Fair says with a grain of salt after featuring a freak on the cover. As for the Japanese festival, there's literally a public square two blocks away called Freedom Plaza, and is quite arguably the saddest excuse of public space in the country relative to its location, and never gets utilized properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastGentleman View Post
What does this even mean???
Using it for some *shudder* academic purpose rather than a prestigious use it would deserve. Most students don't care about a building's significance and dignity, and will treat it like trash.

Last edited by RegentHouse; November 28th, 2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #330
goodybear

Likes (Received): 773

This thread just makes me appreciate greatly on how giving buildings landmark status caused them to avoid demolition. Apparently, in 1967, Penn Central (the same company that demolished Penn Station) had plans to build a 50 story skyscraper directly over Grand Central Terminal. Luckily public protest led by Jackie Kennedy-Onassis and the fact the building was landmarked prevented this from happening. I shudder at the thought of what could have happened:

This article is a really interesting read:
http://gothamist.com/2016/05/25/fred...nd_central.php
~3-5m, 1fl

erbse, City Cityzen liked this post
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #331
TheLastGentleman

Quote:
Using it for some *shudder* academic purpose rather than a prestigious use it would deserve. Most students don't care about a building's significance and dignity, and will treat it like trash.
How is an academic use for a building not prestigious? What uses are more prestigious in your eyes? How do you know students don't care about old buildings? Why would they care less than anyone else? I don't understand.

City Cityzen, TM_Germany, goodybear liked this post
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #332
RegentHouse

Luxury goods stores with Class A office space above. The former Tammany Hall building on Union Square is a good example, being beautifully restored after being in such a sad state for years with the New York Film Academy and crummy flea market-tier shops.
Old November 28th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #333
TheLastGentleman

Quote:
Luxury goods stores with Class A office space above. The former Tammany Hall building on Union Square is a good example, being beautifully restored after being in such a sad state for years with the New York Film Academy and crummy flea market-tier shops.
They're completely destroying the interior. I don't know how that could possibly be considered a good renovation, let alone a beautiful one. Quite frankly, I would be absolutely horrified if they did something like that in my town.

You still didn't answer most of my questions.
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #334
RegentHouse

The interior was already altered beyond original specifications. Many comparable classical buildings are renovated in such a manner conforming to twenty-first century standards necessary with minimal sacrifice, and while the aforementioned also adds a modernist dome, it's quite subtle, flowing with the original structure and paying homage to the symbolism of turtles in relation to Tammany Hall's namesake. Compare to the plenty of bad modernist clusterf**cks on top of classical facades in Vienna and London with no context.

What questions? Why it's not a prestigious use and how it's ruined? I've seen what happens to educational buildings, from public to even Ivy League schools infested by Cultural Marxist rats. It's like public housing in the 1950s, completely destroyed twenty years later.
Old November 28th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #335
TheLastGentleman

That still doesn't make it a great renovation. The auditorium was an integral architectural feature and the site of many historical events. If they have to do that much damage to the building in order to make it work, maybe they picked the wrong building. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the place is being saved, I just wouldn't hold the renovation in as high regard as you are.

Quote:
I've seen what happens to educational buildings, from public to even Ivy League schools infested by Cultural Marxist rats.
Woah man. You're sounding awfully anti-intellectual there. Care to elaborate?

City Cityzen liked this post
Old November 29th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #336
RegentHouse

Well, there's a difference between true intellectualism seen in Renaissance and Age of Enlightenment, compared to Frankfurt School-derived 1960s Cultural Marxism. Prior to the latter, NYU and Columbia were some of the greatest schools in our country, if not the world. Today, they're basically adult daycare diploma mills for Antifa "useful idiots" majoring in women's studies and art. CUNY, which occupies the B. Altman & Co. Fifth Avenue store space which I brought up in the first place as an example, is nothing more than a glorified community college.

But I digress.

erbse liked this post

Last edited by RegentHouse; November 29th, 2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 10:28 PM   #337
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5257

People here acting like Trump had anything to do with the architecture in this case I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't give a shit about wether to cover the building in glass or not. It's all business. If his advisers tell him a glass cover will attract more clients, he puts the money for it. You can also see his buildings are quite different from one another, it's not like they follow a certain style. In this case in particular, you better blame postmodernism and the 70s and 80s.

I also just want to point out how Trump Washington DC looks, by the way:

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

erbse liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #338
TheLastGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
I also just want to point out how Trump Washington DC looks, by the way:
I mean, I'd certainly hope the quality of his renovations would improve. He's only had four decades.
Old December 4th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #339
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59279

That Washington Building is bloody gorgeous!
Looks like some of the best city halls of America.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #340
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1735

Isn't this the listed post office building?

Hence the more "moderate" renovation?
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america